• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Imagine trying to become famous, not from making something of your own, but from dedicating yourself to spoiling details of a video game somebody else poured their heart and soul into creating, just sharing little details about a thing somebody else made. I don't understand it one bit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Imagine trying to become famous, not from making something of your own, but from dedicating yourself to spoiling details of a video game somebody else poured their heart and soul into creating, just sharing little details about a thing somebody else made. I don't understand it one bit.
It's kind of like the mystique of being a spy

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
lol the Smash blog isn't worthwhile at all, there's NOTHING new we see get to see other than songs and no goofy stuff of Sakurai's typical brand. I've always said that it'd be much better if they saved those character trailers for whenever they get a blog post

Oh I'm sorry is it bad to call a bunch of screaming crybabies as such? Why do you care? Do you feel addressed or something?
1. I am not saying it is bad. I am just saying calling them babies and acting like that is unnecessary.
2. I don't care as much as you think. Ultimately, whatever you do is under your power, and furthermore, in the end, fine by me. I just couldn't help but point something out.

Shroob

Sup?
My ire to the Smash blog is simple:

Let's put up two scenarios, involving my favorite scapegoat;

The Banana Gun.

Banana Gun Blogpost(Post Direct)-Timeframe early/mid October:

"Meh. We knew about this two months ago. Whatever."

Banana Gun Blogpost(Never shown in he Direct, first time being seen)- Timeframe is the same:

"Hey, that's neat. A new item!"

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My ire to the Smash blog is simple:

Let's put up two scenarios, involving my favorite scapegoat;

The Banana Gun.

Banana Gun Blogpost(Post Direct)-Timeframe early/mid October:

"Meh. We knew about this two months ago. Whatever."

Banana Gun Blogpost(Never shown in he Direct, first time being seen)- Timeframe is the same:

"Hey, that's neat. A new item!"
I see your point. Come to think of it, it would be good if they showed something that was not revealed before.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This is particularly why I hold no sympathy for Vergeben. He's not doing it for the community. He's doing it for himself and the attention and he got it.

Not saying he deserves to be harassed or whatever but that was his risk. People will always be idiots online.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Or option 3:

Have Directs that focus on stuff like characters and game modes, while saving less important things like items, stages and Assists/Pokemon for blog reveals.
Isn't that still just drawing stuff out?

EDIT: I guess the time between directs might be better but eh, personally the music is enough for me, considering it's a relatively short time between reveal and release.

Each their own I guess.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
1. I am not saying it is bad. I am just saying calling them babies and acting like that is unnecessary.
2. I don't care as much as you think. Ultimately, whatever you do is under your power, and furthermore, in the end, fine by me. I just couldn't help but point something out.
Is it really wrong when time and time again it's proven to be true?
Imagine being such a corporate shill you're ok with someone getting harassed daily because they leaked something about a game they deliberately wanted to not show any information for 3 months and have had terrible pacing for information to the point people are desperate for said info

Shroob

Sup?
Isn't that still just drawing stuff out?
It's at least drawing stuff out while entertaining us in the meantime with new things to talk about.

When a Direct comes, we basically have NOTHING to talk about after the initial 1-2 weeks of discussion ends. Drip feeding us stuff like new items/stages/etc would keep us talking in between Directs instead of being bored.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is it really wrong when time and time again it's proven to be true?

Imagine being such a corporate shill you're ok with someone getting harassed daily because they leaked something about a game they deliberately wanted to not show any information for 3 months and have had terrible pacing for information to the point people are desperate for said info
When did I say it was wrong?

But overall, it is you who decides how to act. I have learnt to deal with it. Just wanted to point something out. Regardless, if you don't wish to change, you can even call those people morons for all I care. Still, I don't think what I said is something you'll easily forget, maybe somewhat. It's more of a little pointer, if you know what I mean.

D

Deleted member

The idea of trying to keep secrets in 2018 is commendable, but pointless.

We live in an era where ****, no matter how well kept, is going to leak.

I don't hate leakers, I hate this archaic mindset of "Okay, we're going to draw **** out to try to build hype up until release!" because by doing that, you invite the leaks happening.

People were already sold after E3, dragging out the reveals isn't fun, it's tedious, especially with a useless blog.

MAYBE if the blog were actually useful, I'd sing a different tune, but no, I DON'T want a blog post on the banana gun an entire TWO MONTHS after it was revealed, thanks.
You know that "archaic mindset" is practically what literally every video game developer in the industry has to do to sell their game, right?

On the topic of "leaks", let's compare Ryu's reveal to King K. Rool's reveal - because Ryu was leaked, the reveal for him and Street Fighter - the Final Fantasy of fighting games - coming to Smash was drastically downplayed and missed the chance of having that "OOMPH" on the internet. Ryu and Street Fighter being in the game was a bigger deal than King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie and other characters we might think of.

Now, look at what happened to King K. Rool. Absolute ****ing madness was unleashed onto the internet. People went insane for it, practically beating out Ridley's reveal and matching E3 levels. Speaking of which, "people already sold at E3" was never the case at all. Some people were even trying to defend that Smash Ultimate was a port, so that August Direct was VERY much needed to prove WHY Smash Ultimate is worth the money. But it was "drawing **** out to try and build hype up until release", wasn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
You know that "archaic mindset" is practically what literally every video game developer in the industry has to do to sell their game, right?

On the topic of "leaks", let's compare Ryu's reveal to King K. Rool's reveal - because Ryu was leaked, the reveal for him and Street Fighter - the Final Fantasy of fighting games - coming to Smash was drastically downplayed and missed the chance of having that "OOMPH" on the internet. Ryu and Street Fighter being in the game was a bigger deal than King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie and other characters we might think of.

Now, look at what happened to King K. Rool. Absolute ****ing madness was unleashed onto the internet. People went insane for it, practically beating out Ridley's reveal and matching E3 levels. Speaking of which, "people already sold at E3" was never the case at all. Some people were even trying to defend that Smash Ultimate was a port, so that August Direct was VERY much needed to prove WHY Smash Ultimate. But it was "drawing **** out to try and build hype up until release", wasn't it?
It was.

And I'd be fine with it, if the blog wasn't such a piece of ****.

However, it's also not the fault of the leakers to be blamed when they do it like this, because if you drag it out, it's going to leak. K.Rool was 'very' lucky he got by without being leaked, and even then, there are thousands of 4chan posts out there, so maybe he did actually leak and no one realized it.

My ire grows out of the fact that "If you're going to drag this out, why are you not making the wait between entertaining like you have the last 2-3 times".

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It was.

However, it's also not the fault of the leakers to be blamed when they do it like this, because if you drag it out, it's going to leak. K.Rool was 'very' lucky he got by without being leaked, and even then, there are thousands of 4chan posts out there, so maybe he did actually leak and no one realized it.

My ire grows out of the fact that "If you're going to drag this out, why are you not making the wait between entertaining like you have the last 2-3 times".
Too much hassle I guess. Wasn't there a comment by Sakurai on the Dojo being a lot of work or something?

Regardless of the blog being worth it or not, just the Directs themselves have been fairly constant. Two months after E3, we get another Smash Direct with just as much info, then another character the month after.

Much better than other games which might have a reveal and then nothing at all until for ages.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Too much hassle I guess. Wasn't there a comment by Sakurai on the Dojo being a lot of work or something?

Regardless of the blog being worth it or not, just the Directs themselves have been fairly constant. Two months after E3, we get another Smash Direct with just as much info, then another character the month after.

Much better than other game's which might have a reveal and then nothing at all until for ages.
The biggest issue is going to be if we get a Direct this coming month or not. They're already ridiculously behind on Pokemon/Item/Stage/ATs on the blog, to the point that they can realistically go until late November.

If they wait until November, this is going to be a worse drought than June to August was.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Now, look at what happened to King K. Rool. Absolute ****ing madness was unleashed onto the internet. People went insane for it, practically beating out Ridley's reveal and matching E3 levels. Speaking of which, "people already sold at E3" was never the case at all. Some people were even trying to defend that Smash Ultimate was a port, so that August Direct was VERY much needed to prove WHY Smash Ultimate is worth the money. But it was "drawing **** out to try and build hype up until release", wasn't it?
I mean what ruined most of Ryu's hype was how Internkun got the update out earlier so people could hack the game and play as Ryu, showing off his new and unique moveset

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The biggest issue is going to be if we get a Direct this month or not. They're already ridiculously behind on Pokemon/Item/Stage/ATs on the blog, to the point that they can realistically go until late November.

If they wait until November, this is going to be a worse drought than June to August was.
October does seem kind of weird. Probably won't get another general direct and I also doubt getting another Smash Direct in October. I expect a final Smash presentation in November so I just don't see getting two Smash Directs in consecutive months.

Maybe a reveal like Robin/Lucina is possible.

Shroob

Sup?
October does seem kind of weird. Probably won't get another general direct and I also doubt getting another Smash Direct in October. I expect a final Smash presentation in November so I just don't see getting two Smash Directs in consecutive months.

Maybe a reveal like Robin/Lucina is possible.
Biggest issue with that is you're racing the presses. Depending on just how late the Direct is, you're having to race the Prima guide, and I fully expect that to leak mid-November.

D

Deleted member

It was.

So Robin, Lucina, Mewtwo, Lucas, Cloud and Bayonetta - and practically the entirety of Smash Ultimate's reveal - were "very lucky" then? I say Smash Ultimate's reveal included, because look at practically every reaction. Everybody never knew about the 4chan post and when it was brought up, it was after the reveal and/or brushed off because it was a 4chan text leak, which happens very rarely.

Here's the thing; we're living in a different era of Nintendo where back then, they didn't have Directs. That's why the Brawl Dojo was the go-to place for sending and getting first glimpses at pertinent information like character reveals, stages, etc. Now? Why have it when you can put it in a Direct, or announce it on Twitter? Smash Ultimate already has made a sentiment of making the blog out to match up with the "Everyone is Here" motif, so I don't see why people are complaining when this sentiment has already been made practically beforehand at E3.

Honestly, if people didn't become gatekeepers and misconstrued words during this part of the hype cycle, we wouldn't be in this predicament. I'd actually rather go back to talking about chairs and Goku.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Biggest issue with that is you're racing the presses. Depending on just how late the Direct is, you're having to race the Prima guide, and I fully expect that to leak mid-November.
We had the 50 fact presentation a month before Smash 4 released though.

Shroob

Sup?
So Robin, Lucina, Mewtwo, Lucas, Cloud and Bayonetta - and practically the entirety of Smash Ultimate's reveal - were "very lucky" then? I say Smash Ultimate's reveal included, because look at practically every reaction. Everybody never knew about the 4chan post and when it was brought up, it was after the reveal and/or brushed off because it was a 4chan text leak, which happens very rarely.

Here's the thing; we're living in a different era of Nintendo where back then, they didn't have Directs. That's why the Brawl Dojo was the go-to place for sending and getting first glimpses at pertinent information like character reveals, stages, etc. Now? Why have it when you can put it in a Direct, or announce it on Twitter? Smash Ultimate already has made a sentiment of making the blog out to match up with the "Everyone is Here" motif, so I don't see why people are complaining when this sentiment has already been made practically beforehand at E3.

Honestly, if people didn't become gatekeepers and misconstrued words during this part of the hype cycle, we wouldn't be in this predicament. I'd actually rather go back to talking about chairs and Goku.
Then the question is, if you're going to cram everything in the Directs, why even have a blog.

You could have a website with all the character 20 second clips and music, and call it a day.

They're doing these blog posts that no one ****ing cares about.

Call me nostalgic, but Brawl and Smash4's cycle of waiting was actually fun(Delay nonwithstanding), this blog is horse ****.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, this talk of leaks and theories always bores me. I'd much rather talk about people's unexpected wants then retreading the "is it true, is it fake" dance we've been doing for the past, I dunno, 2-3, 20 years.

I wish leaks were left at "This evidence suggests this is true, while this points to it being false." and leave it at that instead of arguing in circles about the inevitable.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say "A lot of us don't want surprises" but rather "Most of us have better priorities and would rather know what we're going to spend our money on upfront"
Oh please, that is the most ridiculous excuse I've heard defending leaks. The people who care enough about Smash speculation to the point of seeking out leaks are buying the game regardless of whichever characters are left

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then the question is, if you're going to cram everything in the Directs, why even have a blog.

You could have a website with all the character 20 second clips and music, and call it a day.

They're doing these blog posts that no one ****ing cares about.

Call me nostalgic, but Brawl and Smash4's cycle of waiting was actually fun(Delay nonwithstanding), this blog is horse ****.
Now hold on, if people never cared about the blog posts, we wouldn't have to deal with stuff like the Music Theory or Blog Theory, wouldn't we? You're making the blog the centrepiece of Smash Ultimate's hype cycle where it isn't to begin with.

If you ask me, I'd rather have this than having to deal with the Pic of the Day back when Smash 4 was around of a ****ing GYROID from Animal Crossing and a STILL IMAGE OF VILLAGER JUMPING IN THE AIR. The Pic of the Days were not that great, in retrospect, especially when we had Directs.

Shroob

Sup?
Now hold on, if people never cared about the blog posts, we wouldn't have to deal with stuff like the Music Theory or Blog Theory, wouldn't we? You're making the blog the centrepiece of Smash Ultimate's hype cycle where it isn't to begin with.

If you ask me, I'd rather have this than having to deal with the Pic of the Day back when Smash 4 was around of a ****ing GYROID from Animal Crossing and a STILL IMAGE OF VILLAGER JUMPING IN THE AIR. The Pic of the Days were not that great, in retrospect, especially when we had Directs.
Pic of the days may not have been great, but they had character, which is something this blog lacks, dearly.

Yeah, there was a lot of filler and fluff but....literally every single blogpost this time has been filler if you get down to it.

......and you say like getting rid of the blog or music theory would be a bad thing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh please, that is the most ridiculous excuse I've heard defending leaks. The people who care enough about Smash speculation to the point of seeking out leaks are buying the game regardless of whichever characters are left
Those people would rather know right from the get go than waiting for months of nothing and then "Oh, we're getting that at the very least!" and then more months of nothing

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The 3DS version was already out at that point which.... got leaked.
I was gonna make a point about still having time for 50+ things but not sure how many more things we have left to see in Ultimate. The 50 fact thing had stuff like 8-player Smash but only new character was DLC (Bowser Jr. wasn't much of a reveal by that point). It's hard to judge things when no matter what kind of modes we have left to see, people are still mostly going to talk about the characters.

I'm still feeling early November. Maybe Nintendo can compromise and do it on the last day of October/first day of November because timezones :p

D

Deleted member

So, quick question for the board. To those of you who like him, why do support Rayman? Just asking out of curiosity.

D

Deleted member

Um, 'cause people like him and want to support him?

Speaks for itself :yoshi:
Oh no doubt. I wasn't trying to call out the support, I'm just interested to see why people like him so much. I fully understand supporting a character or series, as I am the same guy who would willingly put 3 Shin Megami Tensei characters in Smash XD!

D

Deleted member

Pic of the days may not have been great, but they had character, which is something this blog lacks, dearly.

Yeah, there was a lot of filler and fluff but....literally every single blogpost this time has been filler if you get down to it.

......and you say like getting rid of the blog or music theory would be a bad thing.
The only "character" Pic of the Days had was the fact that it was on a social media platform that nobody except for extreme hardcore Nintendo fans used. The character Smash Ultimate's blog has is highlighting every character with the "Everyone is Here" motif, with some music and some sprinkles here and there.

I never said it was a bad thing to get rid of these theories, I was just proving that people cared enough about Smash Ultimate's blog to make theories from it's metadata and so forth.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm not about to even try to do a psychological dive into the need of some to make theories, the need to have leaks, etc.

But it's pretty hard to argue that the Smash Blog has anything but Music over the Pic of the Day. Seriously, this blog is some booty.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
I have never been affected by Autism, or have anyone close to me who has it, but certainly wasn't right for him to say that. However, despite what he said, it was provoked by constant harassment and even to a degree cyberbullying anonymously by a whole forum. You can make yourself out to be better than verge for whatever selfish gratifying reason you want, but to defend those who are provoking that behavior is contradictory. He wouldn't have blown up like that if he wasnt gotten mad. He's human like you and I and doesn't deserve it.

Now addressing people being upset because he's a leaker, well that's your fault partially for checking. With all the spoiler alerts, you could have avoided that. If he's got inside information, is he suppose to just keep to himself while others are begging for information in a drought? There is a leak culture, and honestly it hypes up the game for many. He didn't leak everything, so it's the best of both worlds to have suspense while also knowing some of what's come. I think in the end he's just doing what millions would do if they were in the position he was. Who cares what his motive is for leaking. That's not important lol

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
First of all I want to say I'm never supportive of harrassment, no matter who it is or what they did.

However, I saw one or two people saying that using "autism" as an insult isn't a big deal. It is. Not being I have thin skin and take insult easily, but because there are actually people out there who look down on us folks who are unlucky enough to have it. It feeds into existing stereotypes and helps create the image that people with autism are stupid, immature or incapable of learning social tact, all of which are untrue but still believed by many.

Autism has already caused me enough trouble in life. I don't want to have to deal with people looking down on me because of that label on top of all that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have never been affected by Autism, or have anyone close to me who has it, but certainly wasn't right for him to say that. However, despite what he said, it was provoked by constant harassment and even to a degree cyberbullying anonymously by a whole forum. You can make yourself out to be better than verge for whatever selfish gratifying reason you want, but to defend those who are provoking that behavior is contradictory. He wouldn't have blown up like that if he wasnt gotten mad. He's human like you and I and doesn't deserve it.

Now addressing people being upset because he's a leaker, well that's your fault partially for checking. With all the spoiler alerts, you could have avoided that. If he's got inside information, is he suppose to just keep to himself while others are begging for information in a drought? There is a leak culture, and honestly it hypes up the game for many. He didn't leak everything, so it's the best of both worlds to have suspense while also knowing some of what's come. I think in the end he's just doing what millions would do if they were in the position he was. Who cares what his motive is for leaking. That's not important lol
I gotta get this off my chest, mainly at just this one part of your post, friend. When you have notable people in the gaming sphere like Alpharad and others not giving a **** about "spoiler alerts", I don't think anyone would be at fault. They were practically spoiling Simon and Richter constantly where as others were trying to keep a lip on stuff. Hell, as much as Etika loves leaks, I'll give the dude some props and respect and not being an asshole to get the word out on Twitter.

Spoiler alerts will never work when you have people with clout disregarding them in the first place.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
So, quick question for the board. To those of you who like him, why do support Rayman? Just asking out of curiosity.
I don't want him in, I don't think he's big enough for Smash. If it wasn't for the 'leak' I don't think that there would be many people asking for him.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Those people would rather know right from the get go than waiting for months of nothing and then "Oh, we're getting that at the very least!" and then more months of nothing
I'd say respecting the wishes of the wonderful man that literally destroys his body to bring us this game is just a little more important than feeding pointless impatience. Or keeping the development team in high spirits so the game we're already buying is the highest quality it can possibly be. Honestly, I value the pride and excitement of the animators eagerly anticipating the reactions of those that finally get to see the trailer they made for Simon over some thirsty Smash fans.

EDIT: Eh, this is more important to me than most, I'm probably overreacting. It's just that I've seen people lose jobs because they didn't keep their mouths shut and told their families about what they were working on, and seen people damage their family life because they COULDN'T talk about what they work on. There's a severe lack of respect, or perhaps even knowledge about the sheer hellscape of game development that really, really depresses me. Throw those people bones where you can, let them have their fun, they deserve it for Pete's sake!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom