• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, especially not with all the people here cursing at folks they disagree with. ****'s terrible.
:4pacman:

I don't join large populated Discord servers because it ends up being that way with enough people and enough polarized opinions.

I'd like to eventually run one for Smash Ultimate but it's probably not worth the effort haha
Hey Toaster, what's the 10/11/18 in your sig about?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Interesting. I just need my Geno :"/
Believe me, I want Geno too.

Mainly, the reason I want Geno is because a random Mario RPG song came on while I was driving...it brought back so much nostalgia from when I first played it almost like 10 years ago. I always like Geno, but never found him likely. Now that this game makes it seem like it's possible, I'm hopeful for him. He'd be dope.

That said, if it's not Geno but a Dragon Quest character instead, I'm completely ****ed. I'm trying to maintain my, "If they're in Smash, I've played at least one game from the series!" quota, and I already have to play Castlevania to stay on track.

Problem is, my backlog still has the rest of Kingdom Hearts 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 2 other full Kingdom Hearts games, Torna: The Golden Country, and who knows what else.

>My face when I want to beat all of these before December 7th, then have to balance that with a full time teaching job, owning a house, and doing things with my girlfriend consistently over the weekends:

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 3.17.45 PM.png

EVERYTHING'S FINE.

D

Deleted member

In the span of one day on Discord, I got into an argument with someone about Resident Evil being in Smash, saw some due try to pit to Ex's against one another, and saw someone, who might be a troll, have a meltdown over a fake leaker.

Wild day, truly.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Believe me, I want Geno too.

Mainly, the reason I want Geno is because a random Mario RPG song came on while I was driving...it brought back so much nostalgia from when I first played it almost like 10 years ago. I always like Geno, but never found him likely. Now that this game makes it seem like it's possible, I'm hopeful for him. He'd be dope.

That said, if it's not Geno but a Dragon Quest character instead, I'm completely ****ed. I'm trying to maintain my, "If they're in Smash, I've played at least one game from the series!" quota, and I already have to play Castlevania to stay on track.

Problem is, my backlog still has the rest of Kingdom Hearts 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 2 other full Kingdom Hearts games, Torna: The Golden Country, and who knows what else.

>My face when I want to beat all of these before December 7th, then have to balance that with a full time teaching job, owning a house, and doing things with my girlfriend consistently over the weekends:

View attachment 165769
EVERYTHING'S FINE.
If a DQ rep is in, I'll selfishly be incredibly mad LOL. Geno's just too cool you know??? He's a based puppet.

I wish you best of luck with that!!! I can't even keep up with a few shows for a backlog.

D

Deleted member

YouTube isn't any better either. I already see people calling characters OP and trash, as well as players, when the game isn't even out. I'll just say some of the community does not represent us all very well.
I still remember when DMBrandon said Goku had more to bring to the table than Banjo-Kazooie and trashed on Nairo for wanting him because he can't read.

It's uh... Yeah, this hype cycle so far in some aspects has been a BIG YIKES.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
For the love of God, why does it matter WHERE a game was made?

Yes, I know, every character in Smash sans Diddy and K. Rool were made in Japan. So what? Why does it matter if a non Japanese character makes it in? Shouldn't their impact on gaming as a whole be more important? Last I checked, Minecraft is still very popular in Japan, as it is throughout the rest of the world. Why does a game not being Japan-made turn some people off? Clashing styles? You telling me we don't have that already in a game where Solid Snake can fight K. Rool and Bayonetta can fight Isabelle?

Seriously, I don't like the idea of Steve as much as the next guy, but I still like Minecraft and will never deny its impact on gaming. This is amounting to nothing but "I don't like it, therefore it shouldn't be in Smash."
Mostly because Sakurai likes to discuss how a character is handled with their creator/brand manager and he's afraid of a language barrier with translators.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I still remember when DMBrandon said Goku had more to bring to the table than Banjo-Kazooie and trashed on Nairo for wanting him because he can't read.

It's uh... Yeah, this hype cycle so far in some aspects has been a BIG YIKES.
Right? Besides, if you're gonna call someone out for their skills, you have to choose a good song to go with it! :troll:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
:ultisabelle:
I'm torn.

Who could forget seeing Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, large-sized Chao and Eggman playing just regular old soccer with regular old people?

Now if he said Virtua Striker instead of FIFA...I'd still question the suggestion.

And Bean was in Virtua Striker 2. Alone...for some reason.

Mario Strikers but with characters in Smash sounds like fun.
Any Mario spinoff (Kart, Sports, Party), but with Smash would be awesome.
I'll only take any sort EA representation if it's Spore. Nothing else.
Would rather have something The Sims & SimCity.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I've found I enjoy forums/comment sections much better when I just ignore posts that I think are silly or stupid lol. So I haven't noticed if a community is salty as much lately (unless every page is filled with it). Works well for me!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I've found I enjoy forums/comment sections much better when I just ignore posts that I think are silly or stupid lol. So I haven't noticed if a community is salty as much lately (unless every page is filled with it). Works well for me!
I try and read every post that I see when I'm on and there's so little actual toxicity in here compared to other places that when there is it's actually kinda jarring.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
All this talk about toxicity in the Smash community is bringing me back to the Smash 4 hype cycle. I spent most of that time posting on Miiverse of all places. That...that website was something else. Pretty sure the "admins" were mostly just bots, because they could do nothing to quell all the spam and unbridled chaos. I'm not sure if toxic is the word for it so much as just...bad. Let's say I didn't exactly weep when the website shut down.

Uh, anyway, any of you guys recognize this guy?

He was a really stupid meme that was widely popular on the Smash Miiverse page and part of what introduced me to "Ridley is too big" memes. I still think of this dumb thing sometimes when I think about how crazy it is that Riddles is actually in Smash now.

...Also, I just realized the Isabelle icon is finally up.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
All this talk about toxicity in the Smash community is bringing me back to the Smash 4 hype cycle. I spent most of that time posting on Miiverse of all places. That...that website was something else. Pretty sure the "admins" were mostly just bots, because they could do nothing to quell all the spam and unbridled chaos. I'm not sure if toxic is the word for it so much as just...bad. Let's say I didn't exactly weep when the website shut down.

Uh, anyway, any of you guys recognize this guy?

He was a really stupid meme that was widely popular on the Smash Miiverse page and part of what introduced me to "Ridley is too big" memes. I still think of this dumb thing sometimes when I think about how crazy it is that Riddles is actually in Smash now.

...Also, I just realized the Isabelle icon is finally up.
Wasn't Bigley playable in Meme Run? Bigley Echo when?

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Here's a little game. Imagine the Smash roster you would dislike the most! Please only have the list contain newcomers and none that we already know of. And obviously, don't use characters you want, and try to refrain from using characters you're neutral on. Use characters you explicitly want to never be in a Smash game. Last catch is that the fighters still have to all be video game characters. Here's mine:

Sora
Shantae
Freddy Fazbear
Jeanne (Bayonetta Echo Fighter)
Bubsy
Agnès
Rex & Pyra

Please note I do not intend to insult anybody who likes and/or wants any of these characters!
Bandana Dee - i don't find him interesting or appealing at all
Dixie Kong - we already got K. Rool, DKC is fine as it is in terms of characters
Incineroar - Decidueye or Tsareena are much better gen VII pokemon
Toad - lol
DQ rep that isn't Slime - never played DQ in my life so that's part of the reason why i don't want any of their characters to be added
Heihachi - i'd prefer either a KoF, Bloody Roar or Mortal Kombat character as a fighting rep

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Not exactly

:ultrichter: says hi

Rondo of Blood released first on the PC engine
That actually gets me thinking, what’s the breakdown of how many characters originated from each console?

Game & Watch: :ultgnw:

Arcade: :ultmario:, :ultdk:(original incarnation), :ultluigi:, :ultpacman:, :ultryu:, :ultken:

NES: :ultlink: (original incarnation), :ultsamus:, :ultpeach:, :ultbowser:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultzelda: (original incarnation), :ultdoc:, :ultmarth:, :ultganondorf: (as Ganon), :ultmetaknight:, :ultpit:, :ultzss: (as an ending cameo), :ultrob:, :ultmegaman:, :ultlittlemac:, :ultpalutena:, :ultduckhunt:, :ultridley:, :ultsimon:

MSX: :ultsnake:

GameBoy: :ultkirby:, :ultpikachu:, :ultjigglypuff:, :ultdaisy:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultwario: (Mario universe version), :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultbowserjr: (Koopalings)

GameBoy Color: :ultpichu:

Sega Genesis: :ultsonic:

SNES: :ultdk: (Ultimate incarnation), :ultyoshi:, :ultfox:, :ultness:, :ultfalcon:, :ultzelda: (Ultimate incarnation), :ultfalco:, :ultdiddy:, :ultkrool:

PC: :ultrichter:

PlayStation: :ultcloud:

N64: :ultsheik:, :ultyounglink:, :ultganondorf: (as Ganondorf), :ultwolf:, :ultvillager: (in Japan)

GameCube: :ultdarksamus:, :ultroy: (in Smash), :ultike:, :ultolimar:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultvillager: (overseas), :ultbowserjr:

GBA: :ultroy: (in an actual FE game), :ultzss: (in the actual Zero Suit doing things), :ultwario: (WarioWare version), :ultlucas:

DS: :ultlucario:

Wii: :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultrosalina:, :ultmiifighters:, :ultshulk:

PS3: :ultbayonetta: (cross-platform)

Xbox 360: :ultbayonetta: (cross-platform)

3DS: :ultlucina:, :ultchrom:, :ultdarkpit:, :ultgreninja:, :ultrobin, :ultcorrin:, :ultisabelle:, :ultincineroar:

Wii U: :ultolimar:(Alph), :ultinkling:

Switch: :ultlink: (Ultimate incarnation)

NOTE: I counted some characters multiple times because:
1. Their original incarnations and the ones in Smash are technically seperate people in their games’ canon :ultdk::ultlink::ultzelda:
2. They have alternate costumes of different characters :ultolimar::ultbowserjr:
3. They just drastically different incarnations :ultganondorf::ultzss::ultwario: (evil Mario vs weird game dev)
4. Had different first appearances in Japan and overseas :ultvillager:

I didn’t count characters like regular Samus multiple times because, while she has the Other M suit, it’s just the same character in a different outfit.

In general, I’m surprised by the fact that every Nintendo system has at least one character from it. For some reason I thought N64 wouldn’t have any and that’s Banjo would hypothetically be the first. I’m also surprised that the DS (Nintendo’s best-selling piece of hardware if I’m correct) only had Lucario, and that the 3DS has as many characters as it does.

I also totally forgot Bayo 1 was for PS3 and 360, and didn’t even originally put them on the list and only wrote them in when I got up to Bayo.

Quick game:
If you had to add characters originating from the major consoles not represented in Smash (original Xbox, PS2, XBO, PS4), who would they be?

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The same person that referenced smashers on his twitter as "Smash idiots" before blocking them?
yeah the guy who blocks anyone who speaks to him in anything that isn't Japanese (and is followed by Sakurai)

Dude's interesting:
1537487466659.png

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wasn't Bigley playable in Meme Run? Bigley Echo when?
Oh man, Meme Run. Now that was a real Miiverse adventure.

So there was this guy who made this game called "IQ Test", where it asks you a bunch of trick questions. Well, since he got his own game up on the Eshop, he got to be a verified user and his game got its own miiverse community. He was pretty active in it, and when people from the Smash Bros community started checking it out, he decided to get in on a lot of the memes and in jokes of the Smash Bros miiverse. Next thing you know the man himself is a little bit of a miiverse celebrity.

Well, I guess he let this newfound popularity as a Miiverse memelord get to his head and decided to make a new game to capitalize on it. I think you guys know where that went. A good portion of the Miiverse community actually turned on him when that happened, not just because the game was awful but also because it didn't really respect intellectual property rights at all. It didn't help that the Miiverser who drew Bigley in the first place didn't want him to appear in the game, and that Bigley wasn't in the game at launch as promised.

I was a firsthand witness to all of this. That website was just plain insane at times. I've got all sorts of bizarre stories from it.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
We are not worthy.

He doesn't have time for our insect English. Don't @ him.
I'm glad I know some Japanese cause I've tweeted at him and survived

It was on one of his "insect" call out tweets and I said it was funny haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom