• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
People on Reddit are really going wild about the Box Theory. Like, I don't know know if I believe it either but there's like three different posts on the front page of r/smashbros trying to debunk it and making a big fuss. Just seems like the anti-box people are going to look a lot more foolish if they end up being wrong than pro-box people will if they end up being wrong just based on what I've seen posted.
it's the Smash Bros. speculation struggle. Whenever things connect to not include their favorite characters then it is the time to make claims to debunk said possibility.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Heh, told you so.

--------------

On another note, if the CoroCoro thing is true, I'm hoping to see a true Bowser's Castle stage. I think I'd prefer Steve? and a Creeper AT over just a Minecraft stage, but one feels kind of boring compared to the potential.
Honestly.
Even if we don't receive a Bowser's Castle stage, I just hope at the very least the FD or Battlefield forms of the Paper Mario stage at least use the Bowser's Castle backdrop or platforms.
I don't think it will, given it'll probably be the same as 3DS, but here's hoping.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I would take this Pokemon over Incineroar honestly.
Hell yeah.
Machamp better in every way.

Incineroar aint got the MUSCLE
He aint got the CLAPS
He aint got the FLEX
He aint got the ABS
He aint got the ARMS
And he definitely aint got THESE. STRONG. PUNCHES:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly.
Even if we don't receive a Bowser's Castle stage, I just hope at the very least the FD or Battlefield forms of the Paper Mario stage at least use the Bowser's Castle backdrop or platforms.
I don't think it will, given it'll probably be the same as 3DS, but here's hoping.
I'm still bitter that's the only version of Bowser's Castle that's ever been in Smash, as that part of the stage is near unplayable.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Basically, he confirmed specifically that Incineroar is the Pokemon that will be playable in the game, and doubled down on Ken.

He then elaborated on the fact that he didn't know if the "box theory" as it's been named is true. He was planning on speaking to his sources in order to figure it out.

Referring to the Square Enix character as an "exception", Verg said the source who provided that particular character (who he will not name) hasn't been wrong with Smash thus far. He thought it was interesting because only one source has said a SE character was coming, and that he would be looking to verify the information either way.

In addition, he believes that Ultimate will absolutely be getting DLC post-release.
I interpreted him like this: He firmly believes in a SE rep because the source has always been on point for him. Box Theory requires 72 characters.

So, if he finds out Box Theory is true, then he is dead set on DLC being a thing.

If he finds out it’s false, then we all win. And DLC is the king of shoe-ins and feet in the door.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Honestly.
Not sure if that’s possible to make the Bowser’s Castle platforms available since Omega and Battlefield will most likely be in the main section of the stage

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
People on Reddit are really going wild about the Box Theory. Like, I don't know know if I believe it either but there's like three different posts on the front page of r/smashbros trying to debunk it and making a big fuss. Just seems like the anti-box people are going to look a lot more foolish if they end up being wrong than pro-box people will if they end up being wrong just based on what I've seen posted.
What? How are the pro-box people not going to look foolish if they turn out to be wrong? All I see are people proclaiming the box theory to be gospel, making elaborate posts "proving" their box theory. Granted, I've gone a bit overboard, not in debunking it (because there's no there there) but why it's a dumb theory. It's the Smash equivalent of numerology.

Now granted, nobody has to look foolish if their side is wrong. Everybody's speculating based on random patterns that might not be there with no actual evidence to back themselves up. But to claim one side has more to lose than the other is baseless because it's ignoring all the BS coming from the other side (and there's BS on both sides).

I can't wait until the box comes out and Isabelle, Incineroar and Ken aren't on there, the negative space is still there, yet those are still our only characters. May the salt rain down from both sides.

D

Deleted member

Hell yeah.

He aint got the CLAPS
He aint got the FLEX
He aint got the ABS
He aint got the ARMS
No joke, I would flippin' love Machamp, or as I like to call him, "Buff Dedede 1.0".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What? How are the pro-box people not going to look foolish if they turn out to be wrong? All I see are people proclaiming the box theory to be gospel, making elaborate posts "proving" their box theory. Granted, I've gone a bit overboard, not in debunking it (because there's no there there) but why it's a dumb theory. It's the Smash equivalent of numerology.

Now granted, nobody has to look foolish if their side is wrong. Everybody's speculating based on random patterns that might not be there with no actual evidence to back themselves up. But to claim one side has more to lose than the other is baseless because it's ignoring all the BS coming from the other side (and there's BS on both sides).

I can't wait until the box comes out and Isabelle, Incineroar and Ken aren't on there, the negative space is still there, yet those are still our only characters. May the salt rain down from both sides.
Because if Anti-Box people are wrong, it just leads to disappointment while if Pro-Box people are wrong, it leads to excitement

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Anti-Incineroar sentiment frustrates me. "He's not interesting" is subjective, and while Pokemon is very represented, Incineroar would be the first one I actually wanted of who'd be in at that point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll never forgive the Smash 3DS roster for putting Shulk in the same row as the 3rd Parties but at least it isn't as bad as the number order being the whole basis for the CSS.

@ Incineroar
Not a fan of it being our Pokemon fighter, think I've left that pretty clear before. It's not that I don't like it as a Pokemon but rather that I would prefer a Pokemon whose moveset wouldn't be centered around a simple fighting game archetype and isn't just another bipedal fighter. I know it'll be very fun to play as, that I have no doubt, but I believe I would have more fun with something more unconventional like Primarina, Decidueye, Lycanroc, Oricorio or Mimikyu.

@ box theory
I'm gonna believe it 99% for now but if we get anything that isn't Incineroar or Ken then that's gonna make the hype train go even further beyond what it would initially, and part of me is clinging to that small hope.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm still bitter that's the only version of Bowser's Castle that's ever been in Smash, as that part of the stage is near unplayable.
Next generation
Anti-Incineroar sentiment frustrates me. "He's not interesting" is subjective, and while Pokemon is very represented, Incineroar would be the first one I actually wanted of who'd be in at that point.
You’ll get used to others hating whom you like

SubstituteGamer0

Banned via Warnings
Correct me if i'm wrong which i think i am doesn't the whole box theory rely on the characters being on the opposite side of the box(yes i know it would be ugly if it wasn't) so wouldn't all the evidence for and against it be circumstantial and slightly opinionated?

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
For me personally, I just feel like there are more interesting options from Gen 7 than Incineroar. I mean, I understand he would obviously do wrestling moves, but that just doesn't really excite me when we already have characters that do stuff really similar to that. Plus, I always felt his design was kinda bland, and just another two-legged fire starter.

To each their own, though. I'm sure there are people who think the Pokemon I like look bland. :p
Sadly the wrestling Pokémon I want isn't Gen 7, but if they was I would prefer this Pokémon over Incineroar any day:

Hawlucha, My ideal and favorite wrestling Pokémon, especially since it reminds me of my favorite Wrestler, Rey Mysterio.

EDIT: *Stabbed by shurikens* Ow not... not again darn you Potato *thud*
:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Correct me if i'm wrong which i think i am doesn't the whole box theory rely on the characters being on the opposite side of the box(yes i know it would be ugly if wasn't) so wouldn't all the evidence for and against it be circumstantial and slightly opinionated?
It's a pretty safe assumption to make considering there'd be no reason for them to just have one box be a random mish-mash of characters, with 2 missing for absolutely no reason.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I interpreted him like this: He firmly believes in a SE rep because the source has always been on point for him. Box Theory requires 72 characters.

So, if he finds out Box Theory is true, then he is dead set on DLC being a thing.

If he finds out it’s false, then we all win. And DLC is the king of shoe-ins and feet in the door.
The thing is, if he isn't sure if the box theory is true, then that means he is equally if not more unsure of the Square character.

Look at it this way, if he was 100% confident in the source, he'd say that the Box Theory is crap, full stop. At least, I would think he would. My guess is that all 3 sources have said Incineroar and Ken, which would mean they're in the game. The only difference with the last source is that they are saying there's a Square character.

Vergeben, at this point, must be confused. There are dots that he still needs to connect, which is why we really can't come to any firm conclusions before he does. While I myself am quite confident in Incineroar and Ken, I don't know what to expect for the rest of characters in the game. If the Square character is Geno, it might actually make sense for him to be DLC considering the profits would be directly split based on sales of him individually as opposed to part of the whole game.

I'm also trying to view this as objectively as possible, because while I'd love to see Isaac and Geno in the game I don't want to act like there isn't a real possibility this could be it. Obviously, you know I've been saying this for days now.

To be honest, I'll be satisfied either way. The box theory will disprove itself if it's not a real thing, so all it will take is patience. If it's real, it's still an incredible roster, and it will be expanded upon for DLC.

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
Hell yeah.

He aint got the CLAPS
He aint got the FLEX
He aint got the ABS
He aint got the ARMS
He's also blue...

Which means...

BLUE OAK CONFIRMED!!!!!!!

/s

But seriously, Machamp would actually be pretty cool

EDIT: I'm a bit peeved that the image didn't work... I had a perfect setup and everything...

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
The worst thing about the box theory and veggietales being both right is that we'd get no unique Zelda character since Melee

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
To be honest, I'll be satisfied either way. The box theory will disprove itself if it's not a real thing, so all it will take is patience.
Unfortunately, for a lot of very hasty people in here, that kinda got rocked for them as soon as the box was brought up.
:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

I'll never forgive the Smash 3DS roster for putting Shulk in the same row as the 3rd Parties but at least it isn't as bad as the number order being the whole basis for the CSS.
At least number order is an order.

The worst thing about the box theory and veggietales being both right is that we'd get no unique Zelda character since Melee
Because people are uncultured swine who don't want the obvious choice for a new Zelda character to be playable.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SubstituteGamer0

Banned via Warnings
It's a pretty safe assumption to make considering there'd be no reason for them to just have one box be a random mish-mash of characters, with 2 missing for absolutely no reason.
See that's what i was thinking but then i thought
A. was what i said because maybe they wanted characters next to like stages or something on the back or
B. Who ever made this made it around what they know is coming but they may not know everything and then their is also
C. it's all true.
D.we are really bored and will be overjoyed to be proven wrong on each of these aspects

Edit: Please don't mind the poor formatting and grammar

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... Maybe Isabelle was popular among women?
That's actually interesting I didn't think about that. If it factored gender into the vote, then percentage wise it could have significantly impacted the vote. So she could have had a high female vote. This would enplane why she was chosen over the the many other top picks that showed up on the unofficial polls.

I would take this Pokemon over Incineroar honestly.
Machamp has more unique move set potential do to his extra set of arms, so I think most people would prefer him. I sure do.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Because if Anti-Box people are wrong, it just leads to disappointment while if Pro-Box people are wrong, it leads to excitement
You can lower your expectations without believing in a silly fan theory. Some may be doing it out of confirmation bias or being too optimistic, but some legitimately think it makes absolutely no sense to dissect placeholder artwork to predict the character total. They're not mutually exclusive.

EDIT:

At least number order is an order.

Because people are uncultured swine who don't want the obvious choice for a new Zelda character to be playable.

Tingle >>> Skull Kid :lick:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
@Tougon Thanks to you, I want Homura Akemi in Smash so badly. Every time I see her in your rosters and signature, my want for the magical girl grows and grows. It doesn't help that Madoka Magica is one of my favorite anime of all time. :cry:

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Sadly the wrestling Pokémon I want isn't Gen 7, but if they was I would prefer this Pokémon over Incineroar any day:

Hawlucha, My ideal and favorite wrestling Pokémon, especially since it reminds me of my favorite Wrestler, Rey Mysterio.

EDIT: *Stabbed by shurikens* Ow not... not again darn you Potato *thud*
:ultgreninja:'d
Unpopular opinion:

We should've gotten Hawlucha instead of Greninja

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, if he isn't sure if the box theory is true, then that means he is equally if not more unsure of the Square character.

Look at it this way, if he was 100% confident in the source, he'd say that the Box Theory is crap, full stop. At least, I would think he would. My guess is that all 3 sources have said Incineroar and Ken, which would mean they're in the game. The only difference with the last source is that they are saying there's a Square character.

Vergeben, at this point, must be confused. There are dots that he still needs to connect, which is why we really can't come to any firm conclusions before he does. While I myself am quite confident in Incineroar and Ken, I don't know what to expect for the rest of characters in the game. If the Square character is Geno, it might actually make sense for him to be DLC considering the profits would be directly split based on sales of him individually as opposed to part of the whole game.

I'm also trying to view this as objectively as possible, because while I'd love to see Isaac and Geno in the game I don't want to act like there isn't a real possibility this could be it. Obviously, you know I've been saying this for days now.

To be honest, I'll be satisfied either way. The box theory will disprove itself if it's not a real thing, so all it will take is patience. If it's real, it's still an incredible roster, and it will be expanded upon for DLC.
Sorry I've been out of the loop. Is Vergeben now confident that the Pokémon character is Incineroar?

D

Deleted member

@Tougon Thanks to you, I want Homura Akemi in Smash so badly. Every time I see her in your rosters and signature, my want for the magical girl grows and grows. It doesn't help that Madoka Magica is one of my favorite anime of all time. :cry:
Oh my god, I made someone else unironically want Homura. This truly is the best timeline.

ECzNqRe.gif

I haven't had to use anything in my Homura folder in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom