• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
are being so negative towards people who have the opposite opinion of box theory.
People don't like being told they're wrong.
I mean that's just basic psych 101 baby

That is one point I find true. But I cannot see why they would be excluded from the mode. I am wondering about that.
To unlock the Miis, you have to make a Mii. This CSS is the lore where Miis werent made on the save file yet.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Chairs is bad.

Music theory might hold water. Need to learn more about it, but it seemed to have a convincing argument to it, There was a pattern.
Again, Music Theory doesn't make sense because Fire Emblem's remix came after the 2 unique newcomers in the direct means echoes would count towards the theory but we can listen to Vega Stage

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I personally still don't believe the box theory tbh. If it were true wouldn't Isabelle had been next to K. Rool? She's absent. That and as someone pointed out it can be changed by the time of its release. There's honestly a chance what were seeing is an unfinished version of the box. Food for thought.

That's just me though.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Why would anyone be upset? :073: Just because you wouldn't want a character doesn't mean you can't be understanding of their inclusion.
I agree. I'm not super excited for Isabelle, but I'm glad she was included because I know it would make a lot of other people happy.
There are very few characters I DON'T want(lookin' at you Steve), but I still try to make the best of whatever we get, even if I don't understand why.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Can we please talk about something that isn't about boxes? Like idk, how would you react if Master Hand was the final newcomer to be revealed?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
...As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, the Smashdown theory really doesn't make much sense when you consider the number of people playing won't always be an even number.

Food for thought.
The Smashdown theory is bogus. They won't make the roster # around a single mode. I assume it ends when there are not an equal # of fighters and players.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That is one point I find true. But I cannot see why they would be excluded from the mode. I am wondering about that.
Probably because they'd be a bit difficult to implement in it. Like, when someone picks a Mii, does that leave out all Mii Fighters, or only that specific type of Mii Fighter? There's also an issue with if you don't even have a Mii on your console, how would it then work? You can't make a character mandatory to play when they require you to have something set up outside the game itself.

There are a few hurdles with them, so I could understand them being left out of it. It's not that they would be impossible to put into the mode, but they could have been left out for the sake of clarity.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Inkling breaks this theory. You can't just put them aside.
you actually can because EVERYONE knew inklings would be in this game. even when some people thought this game would be a port (myself included) i knew inkling would be in it. Sakurai got the obvious choice out of the way first.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
Inkling breaks this theory. You can't just put them aside.
Yeah, like I said, it probably is just a coincidence. I just thought it was an interesting observation, especially considering Inkling didn't really get a trailer.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It is a little strange.

If I’m guessing, it’s because it has three separate characters and they would be weird to block off after someone uses one of them?

blackghost

Smash Champion
But the Inkling trailer...
the inklings were such an obvious inclusion it made sense to reveal them first. the theory fits. even when people thought this game was a port and speculated the game was coming (prior to the reveal trailer) everyone knew inklings would be in.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
One thing on this whole boxes and one character thing.
Since June, we've gotten about a character a month. Ridley in June. Simon and K Rool in August (two months since E3) then Isabelle in September. It seems odd that Nintendo would go the next three months with just one new character. If you look at Smash Wii U, they showed off Robin in July and Shulk in August with the game releasing in September in Japan. Actually, both Smash Wii U and Brawl showed their last newcomer very close to release (about two weeks for both). It seems odd that there would only be one more trailer for the next three months or so.

At the same time, there is actually a lot we haven't been shown. Haven't seen the vault, online or the secret mode. There seems to be enough left that they will talk about it more over the last few months. So, again, it seems odd that there is only one more character.
This is something I've been thinking a lot and I'd hate to have to wait until November for a reveal. It is possible Ken could be his own reveal in October though.

Literally no reason he couldn't be, he's a big deal character, even if I don't care about him. But yea, box theory or not I hope we get a character reveal in October too.
Question, I understand talking about box theory, as stupid as I think it is. What I don't understand is why people
A: Can't seem to change the subject
Or
B: are being so negative towards people who have the opposite opinion of box theory.
Why can't we all get along?
I'm thinking of the clip from the end of a Scot the Woz video where he says something along the lines of don't post your opinions in the comment section because opinions are illegal on the internet
Maybe I've missed it but as someone who believes the box theory for now I've seen more negativity towards us, being called ****ing iditots etc. Heck most of the people who are going with the box theory hope they are wrong....so how are we being negative?

I do think though that we all kind of need to agree to disagree at this point. If you fully understand the box theory and don't follow it that's cool, theres nothing else I could tell you to push you towards it until we get more info.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Remember everyone:
ONLY ONE OF VERGE'S THREE SOURCES CLAIMED WE'D SEE A SQUARE ENIX REP.

Dude has three sources, and let's also remember that NINTENDO IS LIKELY SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION TO PREVENT LEAKS. It's possible that the SE character is a red herring in otherwise true information.

Again, lets think with our heads and not our hearts.
Wanna talk about using our heads, let go with that.

You have a guy that is telling you he has all these sources and instead of telling you the characters, he says stuff like "Oh, there is a Pokemon but its not one of these," or "There is a SE character but who knows which one." Seems odd that he knew about Snake and Simon but doesn't know this mysterious Square character. Or that he knows what Pokemon characters will not be in but doesn't know who will be in. In order to know who its not, you have to know who it is. So why doesn't he just say that? And he has multiple sources. You know who else had multiple sources? Laura Dale. You remember the Switch rumors and how she made all these claims and they all came up nothing.

Its pretty easy to see whats going on. If he says X is happening you can hold him to it. But if he says he has multiple sources and gives vague ideas of what hes talking about (letting other fill in the blanks), then he'll brush off anything he got wrong. There was also the fact that a "source" told him K Rool was not in the game. What did he do? "Oh, that source isn't reliable." It sounds like a bull**** artist.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
the inklings were such an obvious inclusion it made sense to reveal them first. the theory fits. even when people thought this game was a port and speculated the game was coming (prior to the reveal trailer) everyone knew inklings would be in.
I don't get why people try to make exceptions to make a theory sound more valid. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. It's not just able to be pushed aside to make it look more sound.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Would anyone be interested in joining/starting a group PM with me to have a little thought experiment based on the possibility that the Box theory doesn't end up happening true to how it's laid out?

Cause conversation about that here may be shot down as if it's genuinely trying to challenge the notion instead of just speculating in a different context for the sake of the what-ifs. People get mad when you don't follow the norm, and people get mad when you do. :4pacman:

We don't even know what the final roster is tho
No, we don't, that's my point.
The warring over theories won't actually change anything. We don't know anything about the roster other than it's finalized and people are acting like their voices will magically change that if they're right about something haha

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling it, Bowyer for Smash Ultimate

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I personally still don't believe the box theory tbh. If it were true wouldn't Isabelle had been next to K. Rool? She's absent. That and as someone pointed out it can be changed by the time of its release. There's honestly a chance what were seeing is an unfinished version of the box. Food for thought.

That's just me though.
Smash Special Edition was shown before Isabelle so it makes sense. And again.
SAYING THE BOX ART IS UNFINISHED ISN'T AN ARGUMENT AGAINST THE BOX THEORY. IT IRONICALLY ENOUGH HELPS ENFORCE IT SO THEY CAN ADD THE CHARACTERS TO IT AND HAVE EVERY CHARACTER ON THE SPECIAL EDITION CASE OF 'EVERYONE IS HERE' Is NOBODY able to think about that?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't get why people try to make exceptions to make a theory sound more valid. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. It's not just able to be pushed aside to make it look more sound.
Can you explain. I am lost in this conversation.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The box theory, as of right now, cannot be proven or disproven. There's not really much left to discuss about it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Would anyone be interested in joining/starting a group PM with me to have a little thought experiment based on the possibility that the Box theory doesn't end up happening true to how it's laid out?

Cause conversation about that here may be shot down as if it's genuinely trying to challenge the notion instead of just speculating in a different context for the sake of the what-ifs. People get mad when you don't follow the norm, and people get mad when you do. :4pacman:
The victors laugh at the losers.
Then we forget about it in a week's time and then maybe months later we look back and say "boy that was a doozy haha why is bayo still top tier".

blackghost

Smash Champion
as for dlc selections, i dont want to say my thoughts yet.

but i wouldn't hold out hope for geno as a DLC character. doesn't make sense to me from a business perspective.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Smash Special Edition was shown before Isabelle so it makes sense. And again.
SAYING THE BOX ART IS UNFINISHED ISN'T AN ARGUMENT AGAINST THE BOX THEORY. IT IRONICALLY ENOUGH HELPS ENFORCE IT SO THEY CAN ADD THE CHARACTERS TO IT AND HAVE EVERY CHARACTER ON THE SPECIAL EDITION CASE OF 'EVERYONE IS HERE' Is NOBODY able to think about that?
Still my point. Since the box art is supposedly showing every character its an unfinished version. Isabelle would have to be added.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So completely divorced from verg or how many characters will be in the final roster, is everybody at least agreeing that it looks likely that we will get an echo somewhere in between Palutena and Cloud based on the patterns on the box?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can we please talk about something that isn't about boxes? Like idk, how would you react if Master Hand was the final newcomer to be revealed?
Master Hand but no Crazy Hand echo? :rolleyes: I don't buy it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I think that would be kinda dumb, tbh. There really is no good way to make Master Hand playable without making him unreasonably hard to fight or just stupidly low tier. I don't see any in-between.

His moves are too telegraphed for him to be any good competitively. He'd have to use stamina permanently.....he'd be obnoxious as hell in free-for alls......8 player master hand sounds really.......lame.

Not hating really, I just would probably avoid the character like the plague if for some Godforsaken reason they actually try to make him playable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom