• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
If there really are only 2 characters left, I wonder if we're getting the final Smash Direct NEXT month.

I can't imagine them dragging this out until November at this point.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm getting ESRB flashbacks.

Guys, for real, its the final roster.

I mean it.

LIKE I REALLY MEAN IT
1490155315442.png

This isn't the ESRB leak that leaked the roster because it was the literal game, this is promotional material that we know in the past has been used to obscure future content. To compare them is small brain.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
If there really are only 2 characters left, I wonder if we're getting the final Smash Direct NEXT month.

I can't imagine them dragging this out until November at this point.
They were having directs for smash 4 right up until release, I can see exactly that, one more direct in november. If there's only 2 more characters all they have to show off still is spirits mode and the online functionality.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The fact that there may be more fighters than what the box suggests is still very much a possibility.

However, there’s also a very likely chance that two more fighters is all we’re getting. And if the rumors are true it could be Incenaroar and Ken.

If true, it would be kind of a weak way to end things off, but it would still the best roster in Smash history, no questions asked.

Got really used to thinking Shadow would be in the game, so it’s kind of sad that he may not be in. But I guess it just goes to show you there’s no absolutes in Smash speculation.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Being people are salty about Isabelle getting in. Pretty certain. That's the Smash community for ya. It'll be a Bayonetta, Cloud and Corrin case all over again.
In my opinion, I would love Incineroar. I chose Litten in Sun And Moon and hated all the attention that Rowlett got. I always wanted a Cat starter, and it got overshadowed by a stupid owl. When Decidueye became the frontrunner for Smash Speculation, I was very disappointed. Now, the tables seemed to have turned, And Incineroar seems to be the frontrunner and this makes me very happy. Especially since I haven't found my main yet. Inkling, Simon, and Isabelle look cool and all, but they were never one of my most wanted characters. And Ridley and K. Rool seemed very uninteresting and boring for me. So if Incineroar gets in, I'll be very happy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean I'll still keep my expectations low

but i won't believe it's the final roster until someone breaks street date and it matches up

Shroob

Sup?
They were having directs for smash 4 right up until release, I can see exactly that, one more direct in november. If there's only 2 more characters all they have to show off still is spirits mode and the online functionality.
Except next month will be completely dead content wise.

We're almost out of stuff from 8.8, and by November, if going by every 2 months, they're in line for another general Nintendo Direct.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Base:
Ken(E)
Incineroar

DLC:
Dixie Kong(E)
Geno
Isaac
Shadow(E)

How satisfied would people be with this being it? I for one would be disappointed because none of my current top 3 most wanted made it. :(

Last edited:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
>the box theory confirms that theres only two characters left

Because, the images can't be shrunk or enlarged? If there's more than two characters they can squeeze them in if they want to. I swear we come up with the weirdest ****in rules for things.
I know, right? It obviously is tentative boxart due to the fact Isabelle isn't even on it and we haven't even seen the other side or back. It's hilarious the amount of doom and gloom in here over it. Until we get an actual roster leak like the ESRB leak, there honestly isn't any reason to be this way about it guys.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The smash down theory is that the amount of characters to end up playable in the mode should be divisible by 4 at least... originally the numbers of predicted character in accordance to the theory would be 84 as it is divisible by 2, 3 and 4 but 8 player smash can be played in smash down apparently so that was thrown in a loop. If the final count is only divisible by 4 then we are looking at a total of 72 or 76 characters (80 and 84 is pushing)
76 seems a bit low to be honest and 80 a little too high. My personal guess is 78 but who knows. We'll have to see. They've done odd things with the roster in the past

Shroob

Sup?
aw dang it sure sucks that it was totally confirmed for this. oof ow geez darn does it tarnish my soul.
I mean, you're free to criticize, but besides a couple items, they've shown off most of the 8.8 Direct at this point.

Unless there's a Smash Direct in October, we'll be back to Brawl day-like blogposts of "YOU MUST RECOVER!"

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
The box is conclusive proof Ken and Incineroar are all we're getting.

I mean that too.

https://twitter.com/ConnorEatsPants/status/1040744991176486912?s=19

Connor describes it well.
He literally forgot the fact that Isabelle is in the game. So therefore that means only one character is left to be revealed.
Box Art isn't conclusive of the final roster. It's a mock-up and subject to change. Like the fact that the Amazon listing stated 70 characters in total at one point.
Also, I highly doubt they would purposely order a box of all things like that as a hint, especially considering a promotional team is given content by Nintendo themselves.
I mean, we even had people say that since Nintendo was giving out posters of the mural say that's all the characters we were getting after E3.

Like it's a nice factoid to keep in mind, and it may help with speculation, but in no way would I use it as solid proof for anything.
And considering the fact that Verge has reported an SE character, Ken, and a Pokémon makes this all the more unlikely to buy into. Especially considering the fact that Verge has been on the mark for all of his info so far.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In my opinion, I would love Incineroar. I chose Litten in Sun And Moon and hated all the attention that Rowlett got. I always wanted a Cat starter, and it got overshadowed by a stupid owl. When Decidueye became the frontrunner for Smash Speculation, I was very disappointed. Now, the tables seemed to have turned, And Incineroar seems to be the frontrunner and this makes me very happy. Especially since I haven't found my main yet. Inkling, Simon, and Isabelle look cool and all, but they were never one of my most wanted characters. And Ridley and K. Rool seemed very uninteresting and boring for me. So if Incineroar gets in, I'll be very happy.
I honestly wouldn't mind Incineroar either. He's cool still wish they went with his original final evolved form design. Saber-toothed cats are among my favorite prehistoric animals and favorite Ice Age megafauna. It would had been more wicked getting to play as a saber-toothed cat type character.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly Isabelle’s gonna be my new main. ACNL was my first Nintendo game, so I have a lot of memories of that game.
And she’s so pure
Animal Crossing means a lot to me and I got it at the same time as the original Katamari so this Direct was amazing for me personally.

I might have to have a pocket, Isabelle.

Untouch

Smash Master
There's only 2 empty slots on the smash bros site as well...
Of course it can expand, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Well I'd love to find out what TF it is Ariga clearly I don't know a thing except that we've been whining about a box for 2 pages and I cannot figure out what it is

There's room for 36 characters on each side of the box
36 * 2 = 72
There are currently 68 characters including Isabelle
Therefore we have 4 newcomers left

LetterO

Smash Lord
>People are looking at boxart for clues and hints

The direct was a day ago and we're already descending back into "very nuts" mode. Folks, get ready to lose your sanity again. It's a looong road 'till the next fighter announcement.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
He literally forgot the fact that Isabelle is in the game. So therefore that means only one character is left to be revealed.
Box Art isn't conclusive of the final roster. It's a mock-up and subject to change. Like the fact that the Amazon listing stated 70 characters in total at one point.
Also, I highly doubt they would purposely order a box of all things like that as a hint, especially considering a promotional team is given content by Nintendo themselves.
I mean, we even had people say that since Nintendo was giving out posters of the mural say that's all the characters we were getting after E3.

Like it's a nice factoid to keep in mind, and it may help with speculation, but in no way would I use it as solid proof for anything.
And considering the fact that Verge has reported an SE character, Ken, and a Pokémon makes this all the more unlikely to buy into. Especially considering the fact that Verge has been on the mark for all of his info so far.
The box art itself doesn't have Isabelle.

Mii Fighters are one icon, counting for one instead of 3. Pokemon Trainer is one icon, counting for one instead of 3.

If Ken gets paired with Ryu, just like every other Echo Fighter is, and Incineroar is after Isabelle, that makes for 72 fighters, and both blank spots in the placeholder filled.

History is repeating itself.

Chrono.

This is gonna be the state of this thread until the next Smash Direct.

But really, I think we should chill out a bit regarding the boxart.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's only 2 empty slots on the smash bros site as well...
Well poop...

At least we got King K. Rool and Ridley though. That is more then enough to make me happy. Anyone else would had been just icing on cake.

Also DLC is also always an option too. Just remember that folks. ;)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sooo, what do we expect to happen? There's a new Smash Direct he goes over the new mode, detours to show randomly Ken as an echo, and then announce Inceneroar with a trailer? That doesn't make much sense. Smash has always had a clear cut way of segmenting stuff and making it make sense. Throwing out one last echo and then Inceneroar doesn't match that.

Call me crazy but Sakurai always had a clear way of announcing things in this game and when he said, we can talk about this mode later, I think he meant to look forward to the next Smash Direct. If we get one of those I think it'll have more than just Ken and Inceneroar, even if it's just one more echo I think 2 is not all that's left. I think there is at least one more. Besides Inceneroar and Ken.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

There's room for 36 characters on each side of the box
36 * 2 = 72
There are currently 68 characters including Isabelle
Therefore we have 4 newcomers left
There's two left because Pokemon Trainer and Miis are counted as one on the Boxart and there's the echoes.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
What? Are you dense? Is all of Smash 4 still newcomers all of a sudden? They're veterans.
Okay then, they're not echoes because their attacks have different properties that set them apart from being clone characters
Why do people keep saying it's just Incineroar and Ken then
Because "MUH VERGEBEN"

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, you're free to criticize, but besides a couple items, they've shown off most of the 8.8 Direct at this point.
I call it July 14, 2014.

Okay then, they're not echoes because their attacks have different properties that set them apart from being clone characters

Because "MUH VERGEBEN"
They're Echoes, and they're veterans. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom