• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Question regarding the 4 main competitors: Banjo, Geno, Isaac, & Skull Kid.

If only two of them got in, which ones would you pick and would you be satisfied?

I’d pick Issac and Banjo for sure.
Banjo for the N64 nostalgia and Isaac for the new franchise added to Smash.

Skull Kid is my runner-up because I like the design.

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
Its gotta be Incineroar!

Gardevoir with Gothitelle is another good choice though because it would fill in the gen 3 and 5 blanks.. I know not the best for gen 5 but look at our gen 2 rep, its Pichu and they just sugarcoat it with Cyndaquil being a Pokeball character lol

I also have a hunch that the new Zelda character might be Linkle, not Skull Kid.. Starting to get a gut feeling he might be a stage boss or something and Sakurai really likes adding different types of Links, just needs to add the girl Link.
Linkle isn't a Zelda character; she is a Hyrule Warriors character, which means she probably belongs to Bandai Namco or whomever else made those spinoff titles. Also, I highly, highly doubt that Sakurai would troll the Zelda fanbase so hard as to **** over Skull Kid and bring in what is essentially an official fan fiction character that pissed off probably half the fan base. Especially not after the Waluigi bullies. I'm sorry, but the backlash would just be atrocious on such a silly decision.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's worth noting that before the direct aired, Some guy went through the files of the Smash website and Found Proof that some franchises with currently one character, will get another one. The ones he noted were obviously placeholders, including Wii Fit, F-Zero, PAC-MAN, Ice Climbers, and Rob.

So now that Animal crossing has two characters, what do you think the other Four franchises are?
Here are my predictions:

Xenoblade with Elma
Street Fighter with Ken
Sonic with Shadow
Punch-Out with another boxer (Likely Glass Joe)
NOT counting third parties
Xenoblade with Elma
Kirby with Waddle Dee
Pokémon with Incineroar (or probably Buzzwole)
F-Zero with Black Shadow to also promote a new F-Zero game OR a GX HD remaster (please)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Linkle isn't a Zelda character; she is a Hyrule Warriors character, which means she probably belongs to Bandai Namco or whomever else made those spinoff titles. Also, I highly, highly doubt that Sakurai would troll the Zelda fanbase so hard as to **** over Skull Kid and bring in what is essentially an official fan fiction character that pissed off probably half the fan base. Especially not after the Waluigi bullies. I'm sorry, but the backlash would just be atrocious on such a silly decision.
Koei-Tecmo is who does the Warriors titles and many others like DoA, and various tactical games and back when they were separate.

Koei is very known for its historical simulations and Tecmo for stuff like Ninja Gaiden.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah but literally every character in Smash is “popular” once they’re in. There will be a decent storm for anyone is anyone is cut.

And as people have already said, it wasn’t Cloud for the sake of adding Cloud. It was Cloud for the sake of adding the face of a huge franchise that got its start on Nintendo and still releases some games for Nintendo today.
That’s what Cloud represents.

Dante would represent...nothing really?
Oh, Dante wouldn't be a good choise, I was just talking about the Nintendo cnnection thing, sorry.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I get what you said about that proof. But I'm reminding you that it's possible that the creator is in a sort of agreement and thus is covering up.
In my experience this usually would involve simply being radio silence on the matter, usually responding one way or the other is usually more trouble then it's wroth.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben mention Ken, Isabelle and a Pokemon rep that is NOT Decidueye or Mimikyu few months prior. This leaker heavily piggyback vergeben.

Also, like mention prior, Dante will NOT make it into Smash...according to the Director.

Proof:
this is no prrof for anything man, if he said yes he is he could be in serious trouble i mean they cant just come out and say yeah he in lol, he can only do either say no he is not or nothing,

Chrono.

Yeah but literally every character in Smash is “popular” once they’re in. There will be a decent storm for anyone is anyone is cut.

And as people have already said, it wasn’t Cloud for the sake of adding Cloud. It was Cloud for the sake of adding the face of a huge franchise that got its start on Nintendo and still releases some games for Nintendo today.
That’s what Cloud represents.

Dante would represent...nothing really?
Dante did kinda start the spectacle fighter/character action game sub-genre Bayonetta already represents..

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Regarding 3rd parties

I think Dante has a fair chance just not in the base roster.

See this is how I look at it.

Devil May Cry is owned by Capcom which is a japanese video game developer and publisher. Dante isn't owned by a competing company which to me makes him more realizable then let's say Master Chief and Kratos.

The characters need to be just gaming icons in general, as Cloud and Snake prove, to atleast be considered for a starring role in Smash. And Dante is a gaming icon no doubt.

Sakurai wouldn't have let Snake join the fray if it weren't for the fact of his and his franchise's status in the video game industry.

D

Deleted member

this is no proof that dante is not in smash, he could totaly happen, i mean if the ppl behind dmc come out and say yes or anything they get their ***** handed to them hard, stop hating on dante
I don't think any of us are hating on Dante. All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, it is very, very unlikely. Dante being in a Nintendo themed crossover game doesn't really make much sense. If he had a notable connection or some importance to Nintendo, I'd be more willing to entertain this rumor.

It'd be like if all of a sudden Nintendo came out and announced "You can play as Mario in Monster Hunter World on everything...except Nintendo hardware! Also, we're porting Breath of the Wild to PS4!"

I know some people feel very strongly about this leak and really, really seem to want it to be true, so this is definitely a to each their own situation. People can want what characters they want, I'm just sharing my own thoughts about the rumor. :)

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Regarding 3rd parties

I think Dante has a fair chance just not in the base roster.

See this is how I look at it.

Devil May Cry is owned by Capcom which is a japanese video game developer and publisher. Dante isn't owned by a competing company which to me makes him more realizable then let's say Master Chief and Kratos.

The characters need to be just gaming icons in general, as Cloud and Snake prove, to atleast be considered for a starring role in Smash. And Dante is a gaming icon no doubt.

Sakurai wouldn't have let Snake join the fray if it weren't for the fact of his and his franchise's status in the video game industry.
that and the fact that to make dante they take ikes model, put on someanimations of bayonetta and some new ones and bingo bango you have yourself a dante.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Dante did kinda start the spectacle fighter/character action game sub-genre Bayonetta already represents..
Not to mention many people have wanted to see those two characters in particular cross over.

Although I personally would think Capcom would get Ken and if they got another it’d be an RE one considering it’s the only mega huge selling series Capcom hasn’t gotten in Smash so far in any way now.

Dante would be great though.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Dante is not an optimal choice in my mind, but with DLC being a thing and so many people pushing for specific characters, I welcome it. I just Hope Nintendo plays the long game with DLC and does character packs. Looks like 4 per season usually, so I want atleast 3 seasons of DLC. I will pay 20-30 bucks per season pass. As long as it does include Echos, stages and music.

Also, Capcom would seem to be getting alot of love compared to other companines.

Megaman, Ryu, Ken, Dante, Monster Hunter stuff.

Compared to Sega, Namco, Konami and Square, they seem to be pulling in more punches.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Dante could be Ultimate's Cloud in terms of reveal.

It's not too farfetched.

Buuuuut I still think he's not that likely with so much 3rd party competition.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
that and the fact that to make dante they take ikes model, put on someanimations of bayonetta and some new ones and bingo bango you have yourself a dante.
That’s the laziest thing I’ve ever heard for one of the most creative hack n slash characters ever made.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Dante is not an optimal choice in my mind, but with DLC being a thing and so many people pushing for specific characters, I welcome it. I just Hope Nintendo plays the long game with DLC and does character packs. Looks like 4 per season usually, so I want atleast 3 seasons of DLC. I will pay 20-30 bucks per season pass. As long as it does include Echos, stages and music.
I just hope they don't do Mii costumes this time and use those resources to make echoes or costumes for normal characters instead.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Chun Li's probably an Assist Trophy
Most likely. I just meant that if Ken gets in as a unique character I'd be annoyed Chun-Li wasn't chosen instead. Ken as an Echo makes more sense.
It's Koei Tecmo you're looking for and, no, it seems likely that Nintendo fully owns all Hyrule Warriors original characters.

Also, pissed off half the fanbase? Linkle was put into Legends because people fell in love with her concept art from the art book for the JP original game's special edition. People want her implemented into the main games as an Alt gender for Link. I rarely see people hating on Linkle.

As for Skull Kid, how well did he do in the Ballot is the question here. Does Sakurai even know he's popular? I don't recall a lot of people requesting him during Smash 4 Speculation nor the Ballot.

D

Deleted member

...Except Snake has multiple games on Nintendo hardware. Like all the other 3rd parties.

I really don't think "icon" status is why any of these characters happened, especially when that's such a subjective term.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just don't see how they could have Dante shooting Ebony and Ivory about when Snake couldn't even get his tranq gun.

Still on the topic if Snake, it'd make PSASBR look even worse in retrospect. Doesn't really mean anything just thought it was funny.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Most likely. I just meant that if Ken gets in as a unique character I'd be annoyed Chun-Li wasn't chosen instead. Ken as an Echo makes more sense.

It's Koei Tecmo you're looking for and, no, it seems likely that Nintendo fully owns all Hyrule Warriors original characters.

Also, pissed off half the fanbase? Linkle was put into Legends because people fell in love with her concept art from the art book for the JP original game's special edition. People want her implemented into the main games as an Alt gender for Link. I rarely see people hating on Linkle.

As for Skull Kid, how well did he do in the Ballot is the question here. Does Sakurai even know he's popular? I don't recall a lot of people requesting him during Smash 4 Speculation nor the Ballot.
Skull Kid is only a popular choice right now because of Loz18 tbh.

If he didn’t come out of nowhere with that mild credibility that’s gone now. I don’t think anyone would even be considering him.

Chrono.

Does Sakurai even know he's popular? I don't recall a lot of people requesting him during Smash 4 Speculation nor the Ballot.
The assumption is that Sakurai realizes he's popular as when he announced him as an AT for 4 he made a point to say he's not a playable fighter.

If you ask me, I think people are reading too much into it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not to mention many people have wanted to see those two characters in particular cross over.

Although I personally would think Capcom would get Ken and if they got another it’d be an RE one considering it’s the only mega huge selling series Capcom hasn’t gotten in Smash so far in any way now.

Dante would be great though.
In terms of Capcom characters, they also have Ace Attorney and Okami to pull from. RE characters have an issue involving realistic guns that makes them unlikely.

Untouch

Smash Master
Could the other Square-Enix character that is not Geno, be Sephiroth?

Fits villain sub-theme.
Would be hard to believe with only 2 songs in the game still, none of which are One Winged Angel.
I actually think it may be a DQ rep, thinking about it, the only hurdle is how small DQ is in the west, but around 2015 Square has been trying to push DQ in the west. I don't think this is confirmation but it's something to think about. If it isn't a DQ rep it's likely Geno.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
In terms of Capcom characters, they also have Ace Attorney and Okami to pull from. RE characters have an issue involving realistic guns that makes them unlikely.
I did say Mega sellers, and MH and RE are their best selling franchises.

Leon or Jill can easily work without the majority of their guns.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
In regards to the director of DmC saying no Dante in Smash; if he's under NDA, why wouldn't he just not respond to the question? People keep bringing up examples of devs lying about unannounced stuff; all of those examples involve a developer being asked by an interviewer, and not some rando on twitter. Talking from personal experience, most NDAs require not discussing the subject whatsoever, in any capacity.

That being said, while I am skeptical, I would love Dante in Smash!

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sephiroth would be a popular character on the level of K. Rool and Ridley before Cloud was even revealed?
He certainly was popular way back. All he has to do is place high enough on the list.

If Sakurai decides he wants more villains, he could comb through the ballot for the best choices.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He certainly was popular way back. All he has to do is place high enough on the list.

If Sakurai decides he wants more villains, he could comb through the ballot for the best choices.
I highly doubt that Sephiroth did well on the ballot. Before Cloud was revealed, most people thought that Final Fantasy would only be represented through a generic enemy like a Black Mage or a Moogle.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
...Except Snake has multiple games on Nintendo hardware. Like all the other 3rd parties.

I really don't think "icon" status is why any of these characters happened, especially when that's such a subjective term.
That's really ironic since Snake is a much bigger Playstation icon than Dante ever was.

And yet here we are.

The "icon" status does play a role since Sakurai mentioned wanting to add 3rd parties from globally recognizable franchises. So "iconic" applies here if you ask me.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I just think a second SE character would be from a different franchise all together.

Evil Mommas boy would work pretty well in Smash and if we got more FF content it’d likely be from 7 because every time the crossover series stuff is shown it’s specfically 7. But Sephiroth in smash? I don’t know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom