• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Question regarding the 4 main competitors: Banjo, Geno, Isaac, & Skull Kid.

If only two of them got in, which ones would you pick and would you be satisfied?

I’d pick Issac and Banjo for sure.
Isaac and Geno, those 2 fanbases have been waiting a little too long at this point. I want the characters to stop being memed already lol.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
im sure we got something in October ( a pokemon )
Sakurai want to reveal full roster and he will before POKEMON GO...maybe...

I'm feeling 2 more smash directs rather than just one. I feel like we still have a lot to go through. Spirits mode will probably take a huge chunk of time. We haven't seen trophies. We haven't seen any of the stadium modes. We haven't seen event mode or all star mode. There's still more assist trophies and pokemon, especially returning ones we haven't seen. There's got to be some kind of stage builder we have yet to see. Hopefully we're getting the return of smash run too. Between that, any new characters, more final smash changes to be shown, and any other surprises, that would be one long *** smash direct if there's only one. I think we'll get one in October and another one in November.
don't forget Online!! :-O

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Vergeben mention Ken, Isabelle and a Pokemon rep that is NOT Decidueye or Mimikyu few months prior. This leaker heavily piggyback vergeben.

Also, like mention prior, Dante will NOT make it into Smash...according to the Director.

Proof:
Its gotta be Incineroar!

Gardevoir with Gothitelle is another good choice though because it would fill in the gen 3 and 5 blanks.. I know not the best for gen 5 but look at our gen 2 rep, its Pichu and they just sugarcoat it with Cyndaquil being a Pokeball character lol

I also have a hunch that the new Zelda character might be Linkle, not Skull Kid.. Starting to get a gut feeling he might be a stage boss or something and Sakurai really likes adding different types of Links, just needs to add the girl Link.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

If only two of them got in, which ones would you pick and would you be satisfied?

Banjo-Kazooie and Isaac. Not even a Golden Sun fan but I think that fanbase could use a bone thrown to them and Isaac would have a really fun moveset.

Geno and Skull Kid are from two of my all-time favorite games but I've never felt the characters themselves were Smash material.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Place your bets. which of these Veregeben Claims will be revealed next?

Minecraft Content
A Gen 7 Pokemon
Ken
Square Enix Character

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Why are people acting like Isabelle was something no one saw coming?
She was part of the Vergeben leak. (as is everything else in his leaks)
Animal Crossing had a pretty large chance of being revealed.
There was a very VERY high chance only one character was being revealed.
There was a very VERY high chance the character revealed was going to be a part of a series already in the game.

These were popular theories before the direct happened.
There are some things Verge said that I think people hope he miscalculates.. Example, I hope he miscalculated Fighter Z season 2 because the characters are blah.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also, if Dante was under NDA wouldn’t the creator be required to give a vague non-answer? Isn’t that the rule with those kinda things or can you just lie and say no.
I imagine that varies quite a bit depending on what company you write a NDA with, some might prefer straight up denials while others would encourage you just to avoid the question.

For me the more notable red flag is that he answered some random guy on Twitter at all, if he was under NDA I think he'd quite simply have ignored it, but instead he went out of his way to actually answer it. I could understand giving a straight up denial about it in an interview where you're actually pressed for an answer, but not on Twitter where you would only get in trouble for giving any kind of answer. Similarly I think Phil Spencer doing the same about Banjo indicates he isn't in either.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I really can't see two more Smash Directs. Not even 3DS and Wii U got more than two before their games came out. It might be longer than the first one (25 minutes), but I think we'll just have the one.

-Last unique fighters
-Last echoes
-Any remaining stages
-More items, Pokeballs, ATs
-"Spirits"
-Any other extra modes, new and old

Pretty much all that's left to cover I think. That could easily be a 35 minute Direct.

I am getting tired of this post. K. Rool was NOT a safe guess and nor was Ridley.
WHOOSH

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Minecraft Content
A Gen 7 Pokemon
Ken
Square Enix Character
That Pokemon. I'm surprised it wasn't this reveal (I mean with hindsight I know why now). I could see the single trailer randomly dropped being a Pokemon.

You know I feel a lot of us, 100% me included, are assuming Sakurai will throw us that random trailer, but we have no real confirmation on that :/ I just can't see us waiting until November for more news.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Gardevoir with Gothitelle is another good choice though because it would fill in the gen 3 and 5 blanks.. I know not the best for gen 5 but look at our gen 2 rep, its Pichu and they just sugarcoat it with Cyndaquil being a Pokeball character lol
The fact that complaints about Pichu in Melee didn't prevent it from being one the 100 most popular Pokemon, while Gothitelle is around 460 should tell you that Pichu is no Gothitelle.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why you guys think Dante in smash is such a terrible idea. We have Snake, Cloud and Bayo in the game. Let's just remember that Cloud was never in a Nintendo game before, he was pretty much considered a Sony symbol. About the director claiming he's not in the game, that doesn't mean a thing, people often lie to protect a secret.
I don't like Dante being in smash because he'll inevitably be broken because it's clear hack and slash gameplay can't work in smash without it being anti-fun to whatever poor sod is getting his ass comboed off the screen. While's Dante's mobility isn't as absurd as his mother so he probably won't be as bad, all i can think of is that dante would seriously be unhealthy unless they give us a character so far off the feeling of his original games it's not even worth it. The only reason to add Dante is to fufill Kamiya's wish of a game where Dante and Bayo are together, which is a pretty eh reason overall. Also Monster Hunter exists and it astounds me that Dante got in over a Monster Hunter character.

And I think Cloud was only added as a very special thing, the only "ps all stars" i could see reasonably coming outside of donte either base or dlc are Heihachi, Crash Bandicoot (This one DLC) and the Protagonist of Dragon Quest VIII

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Skull Kid and Geno, the former for myself and the latter for his fanbase. I'll be happy if any one of them gets in though, Banjo and Isaac getting revivals would also be amazing.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
and to be honest, I don't even think guessing that isabelle wouldn't be a clone is too farfetched either
one of the big reasons I thought she wasn't going to be in (and I was obviously wrong with that) is that she doesn't use any of the tools that villager has access to in smash so having her be an echo wouldnt make sense

though I guess hindsight is 20:20

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m mad sus on the whole Dante thing.

Like maybe Sakurai is just a huge DMC fan, but I don’t really see WHY he should be in Smash.
He’s never been on Nintendo before, and he doesn’t have the whole “changed gaming significantly” thing to wave that like Cloud does.
Besides Cloud (who changed RPGs forever, and is from a series that had Nintendo presence in general) and Snake (who was literally just a favor for a friend), all the third parties have had some Nintendo presence.

I don’t know. It just seems weird, especially when this is the big game for the fans and there are still a lot more popular choices than Dante and not too many more slots to go around.
Cloud only got in due to being the face of Final Fantasy, which is a franchise that has deep ties to Nintendo hardware (the series started on the NES). Not only that, but Cloud's game is now on the Switch and he's been in multiple spin-offs, making any arguments about his Nintendo relevance even more invalid than they already were. Snake also has multiple games on Nintendo hardware, so he has ties as well. Every third-party character in Smash Brothers has had some significant tie to Nintendo hardware and history. Dante does not. He is a Sony boy through and through, with his only claim to Nintendo fame coming from a crossover game where he was one of many, many playable characters. What would make him special in this regard? If Project X Zone was enough to get him in, why not anyone else from that game? I feel like there's cherry picking going on with this Dante thing.

If it exists, it’s a safe guess.
Seeing as how a lot of people already trusted Verge a lot before this Direct, she kinda was.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Banjo-Kazooie and Isaac. Not even a Golden Sun fan but I think that fanbase could use a bone thrown to them and Isaac would have a really fun moveset.

Geno and Skull Kid are from two of my all-time favorite games but I've never felt the characters themselves were Smash material.
Golden Sun is dead right now, due to poor marketing and handling of the third game of the series.

Advance Wars, Custom Robo, Cing games, Doshin the Giant, Cubivore, whatever all share the same fate. To me, if Isaac gets in, it could mean a new game, and it means dead franchises are not out for the count.

I love Golden Sun, but that is the main reason I want him. A vote for him, is a vote for the fallen imo. Its not just a vote for a character, but for a game series and other dead game series. Streets of Rage, Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Samurai Shodown, are all back, and I want Golden Sun to be the one that helps all of these dead Nintendo franchises come back (even F-Zero). Because Isaac is the most requested nonplayable Nintendo IP to be in Smash right now (maybe besides Rhythm Heaven, but Rhythm Heaven... isn't dead).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Metal Gear has had Nintendo games and someone correct me if I'm wrong but MGS 1 was on the NES right?

Really Cloud stands out as not really doing much on Nintendo and Bayo stands out for being a smaller icon, but yeah every third party brought something.

Dante would feel weird for me...
Metal Gear 1 and 2 were originally on the MSX, but had butchered ports done without Kojima’s supervision. They basically just changed the entire plot for no reason.

Metal Gear SOLID 1 was on the PS1, but had a remake on the GCN, which people also say butchered the original in some ways, but that one’s more debatable.
There was also a MGS3 (for the PS2 originally) 3DS Port, but that was after Brawl.

Snake was just added to Brawl because Kojima and Sakurai are friends, and Kojima asked Sakurai to add him to Melee but it was too late. That’s the extent of it really.

Like I love Snake, but he was added as a favor to a friend.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman

Banjo Kazooie and Geno, just because they’re the two I’d prefer and I think would please the most people.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You should, especially the Nintendo Switch board. There are a lot of peoples who are attacking each other in this huge controversary about online service. It's like everyone has divided into half: Half who hates that and wants it to disappear/hypocritics and half who actually love it and want it
How is it fair to paint those who are upset about the online service as hypocrites? Personally I think what Nintendo's offering is pretty garbage.

Not trying to veer off topic, but considering how important the service will be for Ultimate, I feel it warrants saying.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Why does the leaker say "As I'm typing this on Sept 11th" when the date shows he typed it on Sept 10th? Is he in UK/Japan?

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Simon was decently popular before the leak. Even going back to Brawl people were hoping for him after Snake got in. He probably just didn't get as much traction as he could due to Konami being Konami. We actually have data suggesting Simon had some sort of performance on the ballot, which we can't say the same for Dante.
People were also hoping for Isaac to be in Brawl and Smash 4, But when Loz hinted Isaac and Sakurai posted a picture then his popularity and hype went up 10x. Same thing with Simon and other characters like Skull Kid. They definitely had requests but the leaks and the hype train boosted them up significantly.

Almost every character will get boosted if they show up in a credible leak. Just look at Gothitelle

StormC

Smash Hero
Metal Gear 1 and 2 were originally on the MSX, but had butchered ports done without Kojima’s supervision. They basically just changed the entire plot for no reason.

Metal Gear SOLID 1 was on the PS1, but had a remake on the GCN, which people also say butchered the original in some ways, but that one’s more debatable.
There was also a MGS3 (for the PS2 originally) 3DS Port, but that was after Brawl.

Snake was just added to Brawl because Kojima and Sakurai are friends, and Kojima asked Sakurai to add him to Melee but it was too late. That’s the extent of it really.

Metal Gear 2 was never ported to the NES. The NES sequel, Snake's Revenge, came first, and Kojima disliked it so much he decided to make his own sequel to Metal Gear, which was an MSX exclusive.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Going back to this because I'll never rest, is the stop sign for Isabelle her up smash? It actually does look like she charges it right before Sonic gets there.

Still upset it doesn't have any deny effect -_-

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Minecraft Content
A Gen 7 Pokemon
Ken
Square Enix Character
Pokemon Rep. I have a feeling a pokemon direct will happen in October, with more info on Pokemon Go, Gen 8 and Incineroar finally being revealed.

Ken and the SE rep will probably be reserved for the end.

To be honest, those last 2 seem so random to me in terms of potential reveals, which is partially the reason why I think Sakurai has a lot more he's hiding on purpose. This is my opinion though.

Going back to this because I'll never rest, is the stop sign for Isabelle her up smash? It actually does look like she charges it right before Sonic gets there.

Its her up-smash. They made sonic stop as a joke.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Skull Kid and Banjo.

I’ve beaten Majora’s Mask once on N64 and twice on 3DS, and have gotten close to beating B-K on my Xbox 360 (which is at my house 7 hours away from my college, so I wont be beating that anytime soon).
I’ve played an hour or so of both GoldenSun and Mario RPG.

I just have a connection to the first two, and really have none with Isaac and Geno.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to beat GoldenSun and Mario RPG, but my Wii U and my homebrewed (sue me) 3DS are both at home, and since Nintendo hates money they aren’t putting SNES and GBA games on Switch anytime soon soooooo...

osby

Smash Obsessed

And he was a great fighter who became a fan favourite.

I don't really thing guest fighters need to be Nintendo icons, tbh. A line needs to be drawn but if they can bring something unique or would be popular, just pull a Cloud.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
People were also hoping for Isaac to be in Brawl and Smash 4, But when Loz hinted Isaac and Sakurai posted a picture then his popularity and hype went up 10x. Same thing with Simon and other characters like Skull Kid. They definitely had requests but the leaks and the hype train boosted them up significantly.

Almost every character will get boosted if they show up in a credible leak. Just look at Gothitelle
Didn't Loz18 just get revealed as a Fraud? He deleted his twitter Account for Apparently No reason...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yes, it has the little flash effect that Smash attacks have when they're used, so it's basically just a one-hit Villager Up-Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
Keep in mind Vergeben had no idea about K. Rool so we can't rule out a left field reveal by any means. He doesn't have all the info.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
And he was a great fighter who became a fan favourite.

I don't really thing guest fighters need to be Nintendo icons, tbh. A line needs to be drawn but if they can bring something unique or would be popular, just pull a Cloud.
Yeah but literally every character in Smash is “popular” once they’re in. There will be a decent storm for anyone is anyone is cut.

And as people have already said, it wasn’t Cloud for the sake of adding Cloud. It was Cloud for the sake of adding the face of a huge franchise that got its start on Nintendo and still releases some games for Nintendo today.
That’s what Cloud represents.

Dante would represent...nothing really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom