• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
He certainly was popular way back. All he has to do is place high enough on the list.

If Sakurai decides he wants more villains, he could comb through the ballot for the best choices.
Sephiroth would be utterly eclipsed by Cloud and any other FF characters on the ballot, who we have data suggesting they didn't exactly rock the ballot either. We have no indication whatsoever that Sakurai wants more villains just because he added two of the most requested characters in Smash history.

If Sephiroth got in (groan), it would be completely unrelated to the ballot.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Remember the Protonmail rumor? The one that said

Simon
Heihachi
Lloyd
Isabelle
Waddle Dee

and more

When excluding Isabelle, all of the characters are clearly unique characters and then Isabelle was confirmed to have her own number. I think that's what the Protonmail rumor implied here.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
That's really ironic since Snake is a much bigger Playstation icon than Dante ever was.

And yet here we are.

The "icon" status does play a role since Sakurai mentioned wanting to add 3rd parties from globally recognizable franchises. So "iconic" applies here if you ask me.
Well. Not to sure on globally recognizable being that much of a requirement. It is a nice to have, but I do not think it is a solid requirement.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sephiroth would be utterly eclipsed by Cloud and any other FF characters on the ballot, who we have data suggesting they didn't exactly rock the ballot either. We have no indication whatsoever that Sakurai wants more villains just because he added two of the most requested characters in Smash history.

If Sephiroth got in (groan), it would be completely unrelated to the ballot.
A villain sub-theme could have organically happened. Sakurai usually goes for Heroes and Sidekicks first, leaving out a good amount of villains.

Therefore, villains might have had a presence on the ballot, because they were missing in action as fighters from the series and therefore, have become some of the most requested.

D

Deleted member

That's really ironic since Snake is a much bigger Playstation icon than Dante ever was.

And yet here we are.

The "icon" status does play a role since Sakurai mentioned wanting to add 3rd parties from globally recognizable franchises. So "iconic" applies here if you ask me.
You could say the same about Sonic, Bayo, Mega Man, or any of the 3rd parties that are multi-platform, though. What platform you think of when you think of those characters is gonna be based on what system you played their games on, making it very subjective IMO. To me, I think of Nintendo when I think Sonic because I only played Nintendo hardware as a kid and that's what I played Sonic on.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the icon status. By your theory, Bayo shouldn't be in Smash, as her franchise is very niche and not recognized by people outside hardcore gaming circles.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Well it's not a requirement as proven by Bayonetta.

But it is still a big factor that's presence when it comes to 3rd parties.
Still going to disagree. For Goemon's sake. He has made it around the world, but was only really big in Japan.
GO GOEMON GO!!

StormC

Smash Hero
I think a Dragon Quest character is far more likely than Geno.
Why? Geno is one of the most historically requested characters in Smash, is a character Sakurai wanted, and got acknowledged through a costume made up of original assets.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
"Square Enix rep"? Is that credible? You must love to be fooled...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Chrono.

What makes you be so sure, though?
It's the highest grossing Japanese franchise that's not yet in Smash.

It's massive over there and that could very well play a factor here.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's a lock though, far from it. Just that I think we'd sooner see Dragon Quest in Smash before a fully playable Geno.

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm fairly certain it'll be Geno. Sora is the dream, but with K Rool and Ridley, Geno would complete the holy trinity of fan-requested characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
"Square Enix rep"? Is that credible? You must love to be fooled...
Vergeben has yet to have a misfire. It might happen but everything he's said has come true thus far (including no playable Mimikyu).

One doesn't have to buy into him completely but to ignore him completely as well is ignoring his current track record.

Untouch

Smash Master
Come to think about it, when Sakurai talked about twisting some arms to get characters everyone thought he was talking about Final Fantasy, but we still only got 2 songs...
Maybe he was talking about Square, but the wrong IP, Sugiyama is arguably even MORE protective of his songs than Uematsu. This feels like the ONLY reason we don't have DQ representation already, it's that important of an IP to japan.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Has Verge said anything about Dante yet? Anyone have the means of asking him?

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm fairly certain it'll be Geno. Sora is the dream, but with K Rool and Ridley, Geno would complete the holy trinity of fan-requested characters.
Sora isn't owned by Square.

Also Dragon Quest is popular in Japan but so is Monster Hunter and we're still waiting on that playable character. This Smash has a focus on globally popular franchises so far. Splatoon, Metroid, Castlevania, DKC, and Animal Crossing are popular around the world. DQ is niche outside of Japan and lacks an obvious "face" for the franchise in a crossover fighter like Final Fantasy has Cloud.

I could definitely see an AT or boss like Monster Hunter, but playable? Eh. Certainly nothing in its favor like Geno at this time.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
for a Square rep, I always wanted a DQ slime riding on a Chocobo. And have different iconic enemies being in their smash moves, attacks. The FS could be fat chocobo summon or doom train, or something off the wall.

I like Geno, but I really wanted an off the wall character more.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In my mind, there's only 2 possible candidates for another Square Enix Rep: Geno or a Dragon Quest character (either Erdrick, Eight, or Slime). Of those two, Geno feels the more likely, but I'd still say a Dragon Quester is still in the running.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Come to think about it, when Sakurai talked about twisting some arms to get characters everyone thought he was talking about Final Fantasy, but we still only got 2 songs...
Maybe he was talking about Square, but the wrong IP, Sugiyama is arguably even MORE protective of his songs than Uematsu. This feels like the ONLY reason we don't have DQ representation already, it's that important of an IP to japan.
Oh right, I actually entirely forgot how Sugiyama was in regards to that.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Koei-Tecmo is who does the Warriors titles and many others like DoA, and various tactical games and back when they were separate.

Koei is very known for its historical simulations and Tecmo for stuff like Ninja Gaiden.
And Linkle is a opportunity for Koei Tecmo to get a character.. They also worked on Fire Emblem Warriors as well.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Remember the Protonmail rumor? The one that said

Simon
Heihachi
Lloyd
Isabelle
Waddle Dee

and more

When excluding Isabelle, all of the characters are clearly unique characters and then Isabelle was confirmed to have her own number. I think that's what the Protonmail rumor implied here.
Do you have a link on you? Sounds interesting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's the highest grossing Japanese franchise that's not yet in Smash.

It's massive over there and that could very well play a factor here.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's a lock though, far from it. Just that I think we'd sooner see Dragon Quest in Smash before a fully playable Geno.
Oh boy I love the argument of Industry VS Sakurbias

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Dark Samus wouldn't have happened if she wasn't an Echo. It wasn't a matter of "why did they make her an Echo instead of an unique?", it was "why leave her out when she can be an Echo?"
Look I'm just saying unlike Dark Samus, Isabelle has no moveset pull from so she makes more sense to be an echo than Dark Samus does. I'm not saying that Dark Samus should be a unique, it's just that if Dark Samus can be an echo surely Isabelle can be one too.

The amount of effort they put into her seems unneccessary when a lot of Isabelle supporters would have been fine with an echo.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
And Linkle is a opportunity for Koei Tecmo to get a character.. They also worked on Fire Emblem Warriors as well.
Yeah but if Koei-Tecmo got anything I’d think it’d be Ryu Hayabusa because he’s one of the classic NES characters we still lack.

Believe me I know they did FE:W I’m a Musou nut and I did the articles for it on Serenes Forest and even commissioned a sprite version of Rowan’s sword for our game sections based with sprites of swords in the various FE games.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
In my mind, there's only 2 possible candidates for another Square Enix Rep: Geno or a Dragon Quest character (either Erdrick, Eight, or Slime). Of those two, Geno feels the more likely, but I'd still say a Dragon Quester is still in the running.
Actually, every DQ protagonist practically fills the same niche so I honestly could see all 10 mainline DQ protags being alternate costumes XD

osby

Smash Obsessed
I thought the third was Waluigi.

Would that make them cursed trinity?

D

Deleted member

No joke, Linkle would be awesome. She'd also be hecka unique, as she does pretty crazy things with those crossbows of hers.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Look I'm just saying unlike Dark Samus, Isabelle has no moveset pull from so she makes more sense to be an echo than Dark Samus does. I'm not saying that Dark Samus should be a unique, it's just that if Dark Samus can be an echo surely Isabelle can be one too.

The amount of effort they put into her seems unneccessary when a lot of Isabelle supporters would have been fine with an echo.
Isabelle >>>> Dark Samus in terms of popularity

That's literally just it. "This character is beloved by all, let's put a bit more care into her" vs "This character is only popular overseas and we don't know why... she can be like Samus so let's make it that way so we can put her, make people happy and more". It's not that hard of a conclusion to make.

Btw I gotta say Isabelle plays more like I wish Villager did than Villager himself does, it seems she's a bit more true to the series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think a Dragon Quest character is far more likely than Geno.
I think a Dragon Quest character would be far more welcome. Super Mario RPG may have done well at the time, but DQ is a powerhouse both in Japan and abroad (a shame they brought so few iterations west). If Nintendo were to release a poll right now of whether they'd want Geno or a DQ rep in Smash Brothers; DQ would win by a landslide.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sora isn't owned by Square.

Also Dragon Quest is popular in Japan but so is Monster Hunter and we're still waiting on that playable character. This Smash has a focus on globally popular franchises so far. Splatoon, Metroid, Castlevania, DKC, and Animal Crossing are popular around the world. DQ is niche outside of Japan and lacks an obvious "face" for the franchise in a crossover fighter like Final Fantasy has Cloud.

I could definitely see an AT or boss like Monster Hunter, but playable? Eh. Certainly nothing in its favor like Geno at this time.
I think you're under selling Dragon Quest here.

It's more popular in the west then Metroid is in Japan.

It's definitely a global success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom