• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I always thought loz was being deceiving after the Skull Kid speculation comment right after the K. Rool direct, his disappearance on Discord and Twitter definitely indicates his recent lies.

Skull Kid still has a lot in his favor getting in Smash IMO (Especially with the missing AT), maybe Sakurai switched things around to reveal him later.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Somebody got lucky and said that Isabelle was the reveal today. That’s basically it.
"Lucky" isn't being the only person to predict Isabelle being revealed in a Direct that was delayed. Especially when people though she would be an echo and wouldn't even get a trailer.

"Lucky" would have been Mimique being correct, or us getting Isaac, Incineroar, or Skull Kid like we thought we were.
I always thought loz was being deceiving after the Skull Kid speculation comment right after the K. Rool direct, his disappearance on Discord and Twitter definitely indicates his recent lies.

Skull Kid still has a lot in his favor getting in Smash IMO (Especially with the missing AT), maybe they switched things around to reveal him later.
It's possible the reveal was changed, hence why Isabelle's trailer was somewhat lackluster. The only hole in this thought is that they announced Animal Crossing Switch alongside Isabelle, so she likely would've been revealed here anyways.

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Im so Glad Isabelle a unique fighter i hope we get more assist trophies revealed for salt

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Isabelle's a good newcomer. But she had a lackluster trailer. Am I the only one who sees it this way?

Speaking as someone who used to be against King K Rool getting in, I was swayed heavily with how awesome his trailer was. I already liked Isabelle, but I can see how some people wouldn't be too impressed given this trailer. It's kind of more on par with the non-Richter echoes trailers.
I'm of the opinion that the purpose of that trailer was to keep non-Smash fans watching.
Both to try to lure them into Smash with Isabelle, and so they didn't miss the Animal Crossing announcement.
That would explain the lack of the logo at the beginning, and why they kept switching up between teasing Smash and teasing Animal Crossing.

Plus it honestly fits Isabelle very very well.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I kind of want the music theory to be real because I'd rather have a Dragon Quest character over Geno, don't be upset.
I'd rather have Chrono over any of them tbh XD. THOUGH, if they did do a DQ rep, all of the protagonists nearly have the same body structure. Imagine getting alt's just like Bowser Jr. but each covering a different DQ protag?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Here's a good list of Switch games in 2019, actually!

* New Zelda Game
* Smash Ultimate DLC Content

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Pokemon Gen 8
Animal Crossing
Yoshi's Crafted World
Metroid Prime 4
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Bayonetta 3
DAEMON X MACHINA
DOOM: Eternal
Trials Rising
Shin Megami Tensei V
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition
Final Fantasy VII + IX + X | X-2 HD Remastered
Final Fantasy XII THE ZODIAC AGE
Grandia I & II HD Remaster
Langrisser I & II Remake
Windjammers 2
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Saints Row: The Third

Yeah. Next year is gonna blow out this year. I also put asterisks on the first two because it's something that we usually expect. Smash DLC, comes for the course, and there's always been a Zelda game at least every other year.
I really think 2019 is a better year than 2018 and it's not even here yet.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Where the hell is this semi clone garbage coming from? She has one move shared with villager. One. Yeah her dash is similar, but her planting attack, and recovery are almost completely different. The rest of her moves are 100% unique but y’all slapped her with clone status anyways? Huh? That confuses the **** right outta me.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I kind of want the music theory to be real because I'd rather have a Dragon Quest character over Geno, don't be upset.

You would rather have a rep from one of, if not the biggest gaming franchise in Japan with a deep history in gaming in general rather than a side character from that one off mario RPG who is literally only relevant for smash speculation? How DARE you.

Like legit Geno would be awesome cause of the legacy and "the big three" and all that but square enix certainly has a lot more to offer than just that

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think your problem here is making an assumption about what they can or can't do. Imagining arbitrary limitations to gameplay like "small characters can't be bosses" never works out well for Smash speculators. If Sakurai thinks Skull Kid should be a boss, he'll find a way to figure it out. He can literally do anything. It's honestly not that hard.
The thing is, if he's floating around / teleporting / whatever, it'd be a pain to fight him and lower his health compared to the larger bosses, assuming they wouldn't make the fight extremely lame. Along with that, we've never had fighter-sized bosses before unless you count the shadow characters in SSE or your clone in the fight against Master Core in SSB4, which were all playable characters as well, just with a modified look, of course.

Plus, you never actually fight Skull Kid at all in Majora's Mask, so if Sakurai and his team want to pay attention to details canon-wise...

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Isabelle is going to escape being called a semiclone until people get the game, maybe not even then. My friends already insist on calling her an echo despite how different she is

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Eh but Brawl had so many newcomers that can be forgiven unlike Melees' semi clone spam.

And melee clones aren't echoes, Pichu damaged himself, Ganaondorf is different, Luigi too.

Isabelle would fit more in line with melee clones tbsn brawl ones imho
Nah, she's pretty close to what lucas and wolf were, entirely unique normals and derivative specials with the same final smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh yeah, I realized another thing about the Smash directs that Isabelle doesn't do: There's no suspense.

Ridley goes in and ****ing massacres two gaming icons before his face is shown. Simon is obscured in rags and has to defeat Death, who just killed Luigi before showing himself. K. Rool gets his own little villain reel and gets to obliterate through a fake-out. Isabelle? She's front and center, first second, you're just waiting for the splash card at this point. Villager's debut in a trailer was also more comfy, but it was more subtle than just Isabelle standing there in a, not gonna lie, pretty boring wait.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
since there has been a lot of talk about variable hype levels people had for today's reveal, I thought I'd put together my personal hype levels for all the characters between Smash 4 and Ultimate (since that's when I started actually paying attention to Smash). this is specifically for how I cared about the characters inclusion at the time of their reveal. obviously this is so I can insult as many people as possible, so do take it personally.

Screenshot_2.png

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Hmm, Isabelle is notably the only (non-echo) newcomer so far without a new song in her fighter video.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the most satisfying thing besides getting and playing the game imo, is gonna be seeing the completed mural. That art is wonderful.
yeah until they start releasing DLC characters and don't include them in the mural. and u all know this is something they would totally do

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Where the hell is this semi clone garbage coming from? She has one move shared with villager. One. Yeah her dash is similar, but her planting attack, and recovery are almost completely different. The rest of her moves are 100% unique but y’all slapped her with clone status anyways? Huh? That confuses the **** right outta me.
She has the Pocket Ability, she grabs with a Net, has simmilar Up Special, same Dash attack, and has the same Final Smash.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
She shares a dash attack, her Up B functions mostly the same, she has a Lloid even if it works differently, she has Pocket, shares the bug net grab (and thus likely throws), and has his Final Smash. Semi-clone.

Potato_

Smash Lord

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Her specials and fighting style tbh. If Isabelle isn't a semi clone then we can't call Lucas and Wolf one either.

D

Deleted member

"Lucky" isn't being the only person to predict Isabelle being revealed in a Direct that was delayed. Especially when people though she would be an echo and wouldn't even get a trailer.
Even so, Dante is a really out there choice. I don't mean to offend anyone who wants him, but to me, it kinda makes no sense. It'd kinda be like putting Master Chief in Smash: It would feel out of nowhere and very out of place.

I won't be upset if it happens, though. I'll be confused, but not upset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Changed my official final prediction for base roster.

-Incineroar
-Ken(E)
-Retro rep (Thinking Ayumi)
-Rhythm Heaven rep (Thinking Karate Joe)
-Second Square Enix rep (Thinking Geno)
-Shadow(E)

Including Echo fighters this rounds out to 80.

Last edited:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Right of course. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t have a double meaning of some sort. It’s just really odd. They could’ve easily just used Isabelle to tease it. But they used Nook for...some reason.
Nook even says that he himself will stay behind (as in gearing up for Animal Crossing 2019) while no one is there and are out in spin-offs such as Smash or Pocket Camp at the moment. It’s an in-universe jab at the fact someone has to stay behind and watch things while others are away. They had to announce the game and may want to hold off on gameplay, so tying it into Isabelle’s reveal made sense to appease AC fans at the moment. I wouldn’t read too much into it, man. You are probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even so, Dante is a really out there choice. I don't mean to offend anyone who wants him, but to me, it kinda makes no sense. It'd kinda be like putting Master Chief in Smash: It would feel out of nowhere and very out of place.

I won't be upset if it happens, though. I'll be confused, but not upset.
Didn't he show up in Project X Zone? If so, it's more strenuous than the few pieces of evidence Cloud had until now.

D

Deleted member

I really think 2019 is a better year than 2018 and it's not even here yet.
Yeah, and I'm gonna be honest here with the thread, if you expect every year of the Switch to be a banger, you're having way too high of expectations.
EVERY console has a "sleeper year" the PS4 had a sleeper year and the Xbox One had a sleeper... Well... Sleeper years, I guess.

The Switch, being as AMAZING as it is, was bound to get a "sleeper year" and it isn't even THAT bad of a year. It's been a pretty alright year, but I feel come next month, the Switch is gonna ramp it up and kick it back into gear. Especially with November having Warframe, Pokemon, Civilization VI AND Diablo III in ONE MONTH!

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
So, not that I think it has too much going for it, do you guys think that some other Mii costumed characters are getting in?
I see it being brought up again on Twitter and there is some merit behind it. So might as well see some responses on here.

also to all y'all who lean on this for speculation and then say SHADOW is getting in, I can't take you seriously

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Her specials and fighting style tbh. If Isabelle isn't a semi clone then we can't call Lucas and Wolf one either.
Please, let’s do that then. I don’t understand the point in convoluting stuff with characters being semi clones. Can we just admit that there are echoes and then there are non echoes? Isabelle is unique enough to be considered her own character there’s no reason to slap another label on the character.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm gonna say this is the final roster:

Terra is my personal pick for a non-Geno square character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom