• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
All or nothing in 38 minutes. We've been speculating, but now the sites are reporting on this rumor, so it's for certain that we will finally get a Direct announcement. If we don't get the announcement in 40 minutes I would be very shocked.

Also, Nintendo Europe just tweeted a while ago but it's just same thing shown by NoA.

I know, I know, I am very crazy about this, so sue me if you want

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
We don't need Skull Kid nor Bandana Dee.
Skull Kid's popularity for Smash just shot up because of that one "leak". And Bandana Dee is not really anything special, even in the Kirby games.
Strictly speaking , we don't "need" anyone in Smash. We want characters; wanting a character, no matter how much, does not translate to a need.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Skull Kid's popularity for Smash just shot up because of that one "leak". And Bandana Dee is not really anything special, even in the Kirby games.
But Bandana Dee is literally the 4th main Kirby character, appearing in almost every game after rtdl. I don't know how you can call him not special. He is his own character. He's also incredibly popular (especially in Japan). If we don't get him, Sakurai bias is confirmed. Kirby is underrepresented based on the size of the series. Marx nor Magolor would make a better character. Their importance to the series pales in comparison to Dee's. Anyways, spears, umbrellas, and potentially beams make for a great and creative moveset

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here is the order in which I am excited to try out the newcomers:

Very excited
1. :ultinkling:
2. :ultkrool:

Excited
3. :ultdarksamus:
4. :ultmarth:

Mildly interested
5. :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
6. :ultridley:

I mean, I'll at least beat Classic Mode with her...
7. :ultdaisy:
Very Excited: :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool:

Excited: :ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultsimon:(for the Captain N reunion)

Interested: :ultchrom:

Nothing: :ultrichter:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just remember something, that if Skull Kid got in, I'm going to be dissapointed no matter what, not because I have anything against him (in fact, I want him playable), but because he probably won't have the moon walk that Majora Incarnation have.

Plz Daddy Sakurai, make Skull Kid back roll the moon walk, please.:cheep:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You are definitely not alone. Even if I have no interest of him being a fighter in Smash, he was a very interesting character in Majora's Mask and would bring some nice variety to Legend of Zelda cast.

But I can't understand the logic behind his theoretical inclusion.
He's quite the popular Zelda villain despite what people keep trying to say about him.
So is Vaati, for that matter, but I see much more support for Skull Kid.

My personal postulations about it:
I'd say that Vaati and Skull Kid would give each of the Links a Villain, but Adult Link isn't the same Link as Young Link anymore, and Ganondorf and BotW Link don't interact ever.

Vaati/Toon Link and Skull Kid/Young Link would be fun, but yeah BotW link throws a wrench in that whole pattern or whatever so

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I would argue against that, and Papagenos video really sums it up perfectly. Please check out the video I shared

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Welp, I'm going to bed. My alarm goes off in 7 hours and 21 minutes. I'd love to wake up to some news.
Good night.
He's quite the popular Zelda villain despite what people keep trying to say about him.
So is Vaati, for that matter, but I see much more support for Skull Kid.

My personal postulations about it:
I'd say that Vaati and Skull Kid would give each of the Links a Villain, but Adult Link isn't the same Link as Young Link anymore, and Ganondorf and BotW Link don't interact ever.

Vaati/Toon Link and Skull Kid/Young Link would be fun, but yeah BotW link throws a wrench in that whole pattern or whatever so
Vaati is one of my most wanted, though I feel his chances are pretty slim.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But Bandana Dee is literally the 4th main Kirby character, appearing in almost every game after rtdl. I don't know how you can call him not special. He is his own character. He's also incredibly popular (especially in Japan). If we don't get him, Sakurai bias is confirmed. Kirby is underrepresented based on the size of the series. Marx nor Magolor would make a better character. Their importance to the series pales in comparison to Dee's. Anyways, spears, umbrellas, and potentially beams make for a great and creative moveset
I wouldn't go as far as saying Sakurai bias would be confirmed, I'd love to have him aswell, but there are only so many characters they can include, and Bandana Dee could simply end up being the one who got unlucky. I'm still optimistic about him, and even if he doesn't make the base game I'm pretty sure he at least won't be an AT as Chef Kawazaki seems to be the new Kirby one, so he'd probably be the favorite for DLC, especially as he's only grown more prominent since the project plan was finished.

D

Deleted member

I know you're joking, but you can follow users by clicking on their username and then clicking "follow".

*patiently waiting*
Really? Wow, I didn't know that. Still though, he specifically said 'Subscribe', so I think I'm off the hook.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Which is quicker, taking one direct route somewhere with no stops, or a route where you first have to make one stop before heading to the same destination.

P2p, direct route.
Servers, route with the stop.
That's not how servers work...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I just remembered Apple are having a keynote in 3 1/2 hours. There's a chance Nintendo may be showing the first gameplay of Mario Kart Tour there.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What would your reaction be if the last 4 non-echo newcomers were Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno and Bandana Dee?
I'd be overjoyed, I would have gotten half of my pre-E3 top 10 when I at most expected only one or two of them, plus I'd be really happy for the Isaac and Geno fanbases aswell.

It would pretty much be perfect imo, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint a glaring hole in the roster, it would well and truly feel ultimate.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
What would your reaction be if the last 4 non-echo newcomers were Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno and Bandana Dee?
very happy.

geno is my #1 and im also a big fan of isaac, skull kid, and bandana dee (more so than other likely choices like a rhythm heaven rep, another pokemon rep, and elma), so yeah id be happy with those 4.

I wouldnt have gotten my #2 (banjo kazooie) but they were always a long shot and could still be a dlc type character anyway.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I would be pretty satisfied with this. All the characters are ones I enjoy and feel should be included. Getting no Rhythm Heaven rep would really hurt, but overall I'd be happy with it.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm gonna be real with you... Bandana Dee is kind of the Blue Toad of the Kirby Franchise. He's oddly popular for a character that's a generic "playable minor character". You don't see requests for Blue or Yellow Toad for Smash Bros, but what do I know really.

D

Deleted member

Oh god no we'rr getting into "recognisability" arguments again, please Nintendo spare us from this madnesss already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn’t object if she was a cloud echo.

I feel her giant sword from hyrule warriors would fit just perfectly with clouds moves. I don’t really wanna see her be just a sheik echo.

I mean ideally I’d want her to be an original character, but if I had to choose between a shiek moveset or cloud one for her, I’d go cloud.
Ideally, she would be somewhat like Ganondorf. Clearly based on a few characters, but distinct enough to be her own thing and indeed not being considered a Echo. Weird to be rooting for her as a Echo, while we still have 3 Links with similar moves to each other running around. That's why I hope she'll be combined somewhat. Much like Dixie.

Like, I get that certain original newcomers need more attention, like Simon, K.Rool and Ridley. But that doesn't mean that they shouldn't include otherwise easy to add newcomers if they make the fans happy. I mean, Chrom is already quite an ambitious Echo with some distinct changes from Roy. I wouldn't object such attention. Yet with Impa, they can easily draw from a couple of characters and make a good character out of it, same with Dixie, same with Celicia.

These 3 exact potential newcomers with strong fan backing and relevancy as well as importance could easily be made far more unique, yet don't take as much work as other newcomers.

For Impa, base her tilts on Sheik's, and a couple Specials as well, maybe a unique barrier attack, and a few aerials of Ike and Cloud, and Cloud's Smashes and we're cool, mostly. If we keep on adding other characters attacks in others, give her Greninja's Shadow Sneak as well. Even Ganondorf's old U Smash would fit on her, but it has to be weaker and somewhat faster. Just the hitbox please.

For Dixie, base her Up B on DK's, give her DK's cargo, base her other normals on Diddy's but give her unique dash attack and less aggresive / 'feral' Smash attacks (mainly U Smash and F Smash), and make her a little lighter, floatier and slower than Diddy and we good. Dixie being mostly based on Diddy but having stronger recovery is not a good thing for balance either way.

Celica, she can use a few spells of Robin, but also throw in Zelda's Din's Fire and as a Neutral B I would even take Roy's Flare Blade and call it Ragnarok. Then a few normals based on the other Sword Lords, mainly the Marth-family tree. In a way, just give her Robin's Archfire and Zelda's Din's Fire and add a few Marth moves on her with lower range and no tipper and she's good to go. Really. Ohh yeah and recoil damage of course. I wouldn't wanna see Celica doing Nosferatu for example...

They said Wolf took about 70% or a regular newcomer's work, well, I estimate these would take around... 55~65% max. And then we have hugely iconic characters, all females as well and a great newcomer from their franchise without having to rely on Echoes.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee has an amiibo, Marx does not.
I think its clear which one Nintendo pushes the most.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
werent they both fairly high in the ballot?

plus sakurais "hints" at skull kid in that direct

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm gonna be real with you... Bandana Dee is kind of the Blue Toad of the Kirby Franchise. He's oddly popular for a character that's a generic "playable minor character". You don't see requests for Blue or Yellow Toad for Smash Bros, but what do I know really.
The playable Toads in the NSMB series were actually used as an argument in Toad's favor for Smash 4, back when Toad was clearly the most popular Mario request. Then as usual Peach was announced and that was the end of that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just remembered Apple are having a keynote in 3 1/2 hours. There's a chance Nintendo may be showing the first gameplay of Mario Kart Tour there.
They did show Super Mario Run at an Apple conference, so Mario Kart being shown off would be highly possible
>>Bandana Dee more iconic than Marx

That is a big "nope" from me.
Well atleast you said from you
We don't need anyone. I think it's a dumb mentality to have.
We needed Inklings...would’ve been foolish to have not had them...and we also needed illiterate Pit

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm still waiting for yellow chair & his echo purple chair to be playable, they were in the last direct, but Sakurai didn't show any gameplay with them for some reasons.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I didn’t know who either Bandanna Dee or Marx were until joining Smashboards this year. I have to admit I’m a bit confused about the concept of Dee, but Marx I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom