• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
That "one game" Marx was from happens to be Superstar. Specifically Milky Way Wishes, one of (if not the most iconic" stories in the franchise's history.
Let's face it, Kirby's 3 character recurring cast was looking barren, so they took a generic enemy in Waddle Dee and dressed him up a bit to round out the Kirby squad.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
That's not how servers work...
You’re right, my bad, instead the data from one console has to go clear to another part of the country, before heading to the other console and then heading back through that server to your console.

So a better analogy would be which is faster, direct route aka p2p, or route where you first have to take a detour far away from your intended destination, aka server.

No matter how you slice it, p2p is gonna be faster and better for a game like smash.

Servers work better when you have massive amounts of players such as mmos, so that there’s no need for a “host” player who could potentially drop out and force everyone off.

But for a fighter like smash? Directly connecting to your opponent and cutting out the middleman (server) is the only rational solution.

Fact is, no server is gonna “magically” speed up you or your opponents internet speed. If one of you has a crap service, it’ll still effect things if it runs through a server, and likely be worse as the server has to wait for each players system before updating what should be happening on the other players.

At the end of the day the only real solution Nintendo has left would to be booting players who don’t have good connections. MAYBE they could create better code, but I don’t see that helping much.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
We don't need anyone. I think it's a dumb mentality to have.
We needed King K. Rool and Ridley. Now we have them. Sakurai knew we needed them obviously. After turning down Ridley two times and still adding him. Not knowing we wanted K. Rool until the Ballot, but making sure he was in.

Geno seems like the final character for Smash that many fans just "need". I understand this. Smash always felt weird without K. Rool to me. Subspace made me realize that. Bowser stealing DK's bananas....ya right..

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I literally didn't know who Marx was before the Star Allies DLC. Never heard anyone talk about him.
Bandana Dee has an amiibo, Marx does not.
I think its clear which one Nintendo pushes the most.
Bandana Dee doesn't have an amiibo.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
That "one game" Marx was from happens to be Superstar Saga. Specifically Milky Way Wishes, one of (if not the most iconic" stories in the franchise's history..
Really? Most iconic in the franchise?

I mean, yeah, it's well liked, but I feel like there are other stories that are as much or even more iconic, like the Dark Matter Trilogy.

Plus, that's still one game only for Marx, and Star Allies doesn't count since the roster was decided long before that game was is in developpement. Bandane Dee as been is pretty much every games since Return of Dreamland, not to mention his popularity in Japan surpass any other Kirby characters when it coem to Smash . (the only one coming close is Magolor)

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
That "one game" Marx was from happens to be Superstar. Specifically Milky Way Wishes, one of (if not the most iconic" stories in the franchise's history.
Let's face it, Kirby's 3 character recurring cast was looking barren, so they took a generic enemy in Waddle Dee and dressed him up a bit to round out the Kirby squad.
They just needed a 4th playable character like Blue Toad in Mario 2, NSMB and 3D World

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Between the Splatoon datamined, needing to get the direct out by next Famitsu (the one that will talk about Smash) , the Nintendo Life rumor and just general patterns, it almost has to be tomorrow. Even if it isn't announced in 10 minutes I'm not giving up on a late announcement.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Excitement Tier List time. Everyone is ordered within their tiers.

Game of the Year Maker:
:ultchrom:
Hype:
:ultsimon::ultkrool:
Neat:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultrichter:
Okay:
:ultdarksamus::ultdaisy:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bandana Dee is definitely more iconic than Marx in the modern Nintendo world. That's not to downplay Marx, Super Star is basically Kirby's Super Metroid/Star Fox 64/OoT, so he's still a favorite among the dedicated Kirby fanbase of course, but Bandana Dee has definitely taken the seat in front of him, and in relation to Smash it's not even a contest.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Liking Marx better doesn't mean he's more Iconic.
I'm gonna be real with you... Bandana Dee is kind of the Blue Toad of the Kirby Franchise. He's oddly popular for a character that's a generic "playable minor character". You don't see requests for Blue or Yellow Toad for Smash Bros, but what do I know really.
No, but you do see requests for Captain Toad and has always had requests for the P4 Toad.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't even remember demand for Marx in the Smash 4 days compared to Bandana Dee. And need I remind you that the "generic enemy" argument never stopped Capcom from making Sentinel a fighter?

MainJPW

M.T.A
We needed King K. Rool and Ridley. Now we have them. Sakurai knew we needed them obviously. After turning down Ridley two times and still adding him. Not knowing anyone wanted K. Rool until the Ballot.

Geno seems like the final character many fans "need".
King K. Rool was a mighty need WORLD WIDE.

Ridley was essential to making this roster a BIG hit with the Smash community at LARGE.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
No it doesn't.
It only proves what it shows and anything else on top of that is speculation.
You're right. I am sorry, Mr. Toast! It's just that the new date is the latest that it can go before there is a announcement, but the chances of a Direct announcement today is just too high. A lot of sites are reporting on it.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Normally they announce Directs at a specific time or are we making some nosense? It can be all day along.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Y'all might be setting yourselves up for disappointment if you think we need anyone in this game. We "needed" Ridley in Brawl and Smash 4. We "needed" K. Rool. "Oh, we 'need' Wolf as DLC."

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't even remember demand for Marx in the Smash 4 days compared to Bandana Dee. And need I remind you that the "generic enemy" argument never stopped Capcom from making Sentinel a fighter?
'Generic' argument needs to die when we have multiple Pokemon, Yoshi and R.O.B. and Bandana Dee obviously have defining characteristics.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Also the generic enemy argument is really bad. It would be like calling Captain Toad a generic toad.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Lists of Newcomer hype?

Hyped:
:ultkrool::ultridley:

Looks Cool:
:ultdaisy::ultrichter:

Okay:
:ultchrom::ultsimon::ultinkling:

Meh: