• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I’m sure this has been considered but I’m wondering if Isaac was meant to be revealed in the Direct and he caused an earthquake in his trailer (or they’re prominent in his moveset) and this has put Nintendo in a difficult situation.

The Direct is quickly becoming obsolete for anything that isn’t directly 1st Party and the longer Nintendo waits the worse this is going to get. However I could see this extended delay being caused by the unfortunate correlation between Isaac and earthquakes thus requiring some extensive rescheduling and resulting in this extended delay and information drought.

Food for thought.
Or maybe an entire region on the company's own country wouldn't be able, or rather should not even care, to watch the Direct, while the rest of the country worries about the lives and safety of those people over video-game news.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My problem with modern Pokemon is not the difficulty. It's the lost sense of peril and adventure. Back when your rival was an assface, back when thugs were on every corner, and no one was there to look out for you. You were on your own. In a dangerous world.

I was playing Sun & Moon and around every corner is a gate with a friendly person preventing you from going further because you weren't strong enough yet. It gave you the sense like this was summer camp and you had camp counselors watching you, making sure you were safe. Then I was handed out Ride Pokemon that I could summon at will? I didn't feel like I was on an adventure anymore. It felt artificial.

Last edited:

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
Oh. A Pokemon discussion.

I only ever played it casually, but my ex-fiance was obsessed with it. He loved every entry, and had no complaints. Was a bit of an odd ball, though, because he "hated turn-based RPGs", but Pokemon was his favorite series. Refused to admit that it was one, but whatever.

Pokémon has always been easy for me. Yellow was my favorite. I don't really mind the idea of balancing it, or making it more difficult for older, more experienced players, but then again, it was never my favorite franchise, so...

Hi, btw. First post. I've been lurking since pre-Smash 4 days. :p

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
My problem with modern Pokemon is not the difficulty. It's the lost sense of peril and adventure. Back when your rival was an assface, back when thugs were on every corner, and no one was there to look out for you. You were on your own. In a dangerous world.

I was playing Sun & Moon and around every corner is a gate preventing you from going further because you weren't strong enough yet. It gave you the sense like this was summer camp and you had camp counselors watching you, making sure you were safe. Then I was handed out Ride Pokemon that I could summon at will? I didn't feel like I was on an adventure anymore. It felt artificial.
Huh? Red and Blue are full of artificial roadblocks too. Heck, there's 4 guards that won't let you pass because they're thirsty. This is nostalgia glasses at it's fullest honestly.

How the heck is modern Japan "a dangerous world"

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I was playing Sun & Moon and around every corner is a gate preventing you from going further because you weren't strong enough yet. It gave you the sense like this was summer camp and you had camp counselors watching you, making sure you were safe. Then I was handed out Ride Pokemon that I could summon at will? I didn't feel like I was on an adventure anymore. It felt artificial.
my favorite part of summer camp was when an interdimentional metroid parasite attached to my friend's mom and turned her insane so i had to sic my pets on hers

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Melee is an unbalanced game but hundreds of thousands of people still get hype for it even after all these years. Don't know what you guys are talking about lmao
I don't think the unbalanced nature of its roster is what draws people in. They don't tune in for Fox dittos; they tune in to watch two players who have thoroughly broken a nearly two-decade old game to play it beautifully. If they balanced the roster to make the bottom two thirds of it playable, we'd see more characters in top 8 than Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik and the outliers like Armada's Peach and HBox's Jigglypuff. I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

To give a contrasting example, vanilla Street Fighter IV was an unbalanced mess, and as soon as they released the much better balanced SSFIV, no one went back to Sagat Fighter IV.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Huh? Red and Blue are full of artificial roadblocks too. Heck, there's 4 guards that won't let you pass because they're thirsty. This is nostalgia glasses at it's fullest honestly.

How the heck is modern Japan "a dangerous world"
That's a different type of roadblock... and this is canon but Kanto was recovering from a massive war at the time.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
my favorite part of summer camp was when an interdimentional metroid parasite attached to my friend's mom and turned her insane so i had to sic my pets on hers
“But my friend wouldn’t admit that it was her mom until it was too late, and some overly joyful kid found us and wanted to see what we were doing so he came also. Oh yeah, I also am in direct control of the sun/moon. There’s that.”

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I thought she was a Zelda echo :confused:
It's apparently the canonical name for the girl trainer in Black/White. I googled it to see if she was "Black" or "White", and their official names are apparently Hilbert & Hilda.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
What would be an optimal difficulty curve in Pokémon games? Maybe like this?

1st gym = Level 10
2nd gym = Level 20
3rd gym = Level 30
4th gym = Level 40
5th gym = Level 50
6th gym = Level 60
7th gym = Level 70
8th gym = Level 80
Elite Four = Level 90
Champion = Level 100
It would be more optimal if the opponents also had a little strategy. Such as switching out instead of allowing obvious super effective moves to hit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Balancing" Pokémon by making one or two types stronger than anything else is a recipe for disaster and would kill the competitive side of things. Bear in mind, the simple addition of the move Stealth Rock reshaped the meta due to how Pokémon with a Rock weakness were at an immediate disadvantage in pretty much all cases with little to no counter play. Since then more counters have been added and nothing as pervasive has been added since.

Last edited:

Chrono.

XY weren't that bad they were just bland, if anything.

That and it started the bad trend of Pokemon games getting a ****ty post game that only appeals to the folks who love competitive battling.
Kanto was recovering from a massive war at the time.
wut

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Worse? Forgive me if I appear rude, but why do you think it's the worst one? Gen 6 did it right by doing an trasition to 3D.
The transition to 3D is why I think X and Y are the worst ones too. It was such a big undertaking and they had to rush to meet deadlines since the 3DS wasn't doing well, that X and Y just feels very lacking and shallow.

That's a different type of roadblock... and this is canon but Kanto was recovering from a massive war at the time.
No, it's quite literally the same type of roadblock. HMs don't exactly bring anything super interesting to the table now either.
Also this war thing sounds like a MatPat theory, as it's not supported or even hinted anywhere in the game.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Making games for Casual players isn't an excuse to make a game have overly gated gameplay... If you look down on Casual players, they too will get bored of your game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The transition to 3D is why I think X and Y are the worst ones too. It was such a big undertaking and they had to rush to meet deadlines since the 3DS wasn't doing well, that X and Y just feels very lacking and shallow.

No, it's quite literally the same type of roadblock. HMs don't exactly bring anything super interesting to the table now either.
Also this war thing sounds like a MatPat theory, as it's not supported or even hinted anywhere in the game.
There are some neat things supporting it, but it's far from canon. Just a fun fan theory.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Here's a discussion topic. Rather than choosing a Pokemon, who would you pick as the next Pokemon Trainer along side Red and Green/Leaf? Again, just the trainer, not the Pokemon they have.

Basically, who is your favorite trainer you'd like to 'play' as in Smash. Doesn't have to be a player character, can be a Gym Leader or even a nameless NPC.
Guzma, easily.

Even if it’s just Golisopod and he doesn’t switch out, I wouldn’t care.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Mario =/= mario spin-off game such as the sports games. Pretty sure it’s common knowledge at this point that most people consider the sports/karts/party/spinoffs very clearly separate from the core games such as 64, sunshine, etc.
Separate yes, but that doesn’t mean they’re not major games for Nintendo (especially Mario Kart)...and if your want separate the Mario series, then say “Super Mario” and “Mario Kart/Tennis/Party/whatever” instead of using the name of the overall franchise

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I hope is that we get decent postgames back, HGSS are the prime example of one and BW and B2W2 still did it well but XY had zero postgame content and SM barely recovered from that.
It's apparently the canonical name for the girl trainer in Black/White. I googled it to see if she was "Black" or "White", and their official names are apparently Hilbert & Hilda.
That was the joke

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I'm serious it's canon
Yeah..... I knew it was going to be this single line of dialog, which may imply things that happened 30+ years before and probably does not even involve Kanto. There's no talk of recovering from war, rebuilding, having to overcome whatever economic wreck that war brings. Kanto is literally just modern Japan, not some war torn land. Literally zero evidence for that.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
What would be an optimal difficulty curve in Pokémon games? Maybe like this?

1st gym = Level 10
2nd gym = Level 20
3rd gym = Level 30
4th gym = Level 40
5th gym = Level 50
6th gym = Level 60
7th gym = Level 70
8th gym = Level 80
Elite Four = Level 90
Champion = Level 100
That's not a curve, it's a straight line. :p

More seriously, it wouldn't be that simple. There are a lot of factors that would go into something like that. Things like the distance between two gyms, the number of challenges between them, and so on, would add a lot of non-linearity to it (e.g. if you run into Team Universal Villains XVII in between the 5th and 6th gyms, the 6th gym would be at a higher level than usual as a result). There are also factors like how you usually pick up the game's legendary Pokémon somewhere around the 7th or 8th gym, so you could reasonably expect a spike in opponents' levels somewhere around there to account for the power a legendary adds to your party. In the end, you'd end up with a "curve" that actually contains a lot of spikes and troughs throughout.

There are other ways to add difficulty outside of just levels, too. Having opponent teams with more synergistic Pokémon and movesets and smarter AI (to utilise things like changing Pokémon based on who you send out) is the obvious one, or they could also do something like having the 8th gym be of a type strong against the game's legendary Pokémon so you can't just coast on its power. Or adaptive difficulty or something, where enemy teams can maybe scale slightly and change movesets and Pokémon based on the levels of your team.

I haven't played a Pokémon game in years so I dunno how much of this still applies to the series as it is now, but most of these things apply to basically any game with a levelling system.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anywho, if in had to pick another human Pokémon character to act as a Trainer in Smash, I'd either go for Looker, Anabel, Professor Oak, or Tierno.

Granted, Looker doesn't own any Pokémon since his Croagunk is dead, but still.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Or maybe an entire region on the company's own country wouldn't be able, or rather should not even care, to watch the Direct, while the rest of the country worries about the lives and safety of those people over video-game news.
Right, forgot we’re all supposed to be pretending we don’t care about the Direct. I hardly think I was minimizing anyone’s struggle or loss of life by presenting my theory, if anything I was trying to consider how much worse things might be for the company and the image it’s trying to present and the schedule it’s trying to keep.

Oh, sorry, I mean “haha guys which Pokémon do you want to play as???” :)

Just ****ing ban me, I’m done with this site and I’m sick of boredom bringing me back to it.

D

Deleted member

*throwaway line in Kanto of all things*
The 'is this a pigeon' guy: "Is this secret Pokemon lore?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom