• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This waiting for the Direct is killing me.

I'm thinking there's Smash news.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
You know, I'm going to be really surprised if we don't see any Ubisoft content in Ultimate.
Consider the following:
1.) Mario + Rabbids began production in 2015, which was the same year that the first project plan for Ultimate was finalized.
2.)Ubisoft had three trophies in Smash 4 and if we take a look at polls, Rayman was popular in the Ballot era.
3.)Following the announcement of Fox in Starlink, Ubisoft said to expect more collaborations in the future.
https://nintendoeverything.com/ubisoft-ceo-says-nintendo-collaborations-will-continue/
4.) Following the announcement of Mario + Rabbids selling 2 million copies, they have reiterated their "long term relationship" with Nintendo.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...difficult_times_has_helped_their_relationship
5.) Although most of the character additions have been worldwide favorites, Sakurai is also adding characters that the western Smash fanbase wants, whether as an AT (Shovel Knight), Echo (Dark Samus), or newcomer (Ridley).
Given all of this info, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for more Ubisoft representation in Ultimate. Not necessarily a character, but more likely an AT. Rayman could be a popular character that follows in the AT footsteps of popular characters such as Knuckles, Zero, Krystal, Bomberman, and Shovel Knight, but the addition of Sukapon, another limbless character, makes me wonder if it would be someone else.
If Rayman doesn't get in the base game as a character or AT, I think he has a fairly good shot as DLC.
I'm not really sure why Rayman fell so hard in the conversation, when he seemed like the most likely next third party newcomer back in the Ballot era and nothing has happened since that reflects negatively on his chances (if anything they should have been bolstered by the growing Nintendo-Ubisoft relationship). I guess the revelation of the heavy focus on fan demand and the expectance of a Namco newcomer has led to Geno, Banjo, and a Namco newcomer severely overshadowing him.

I do think less of his chances now, though if he doesn't make the base game, I think he certainly would be a frontrunner for DLC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Awesome in what way?
By being an extremely likable cast among the Mario characters. Rabbid Peach especially breaks out.

Maybe it's me being a bias Rayman fan, but considering Sakurai is taking a look at the Ballot for character suggestions such as K. Rool, I don't think it's far out there to think he would choose Rayman since he's still pretty popular.
The Rabbids are popular now, but if you took your mind back to 2015 to the Ballot era, that wasn't the case.
Of course, I'm open to the possibility of Rabbids getting in. I don't have a problem with them. I mainly used Mario + Rabbids as an example of how close partners Nintendo and Ubisoft really are. If Ultimate's newcomers were following Smash 4's philosophy of adding in relevant characters, then I could see the Rabbids being more likely than Rayman.
We'll just have to wait and see. :)
This is why I think they'll both be in. The reality is, Rabbids are popular too. They're also highly iconic 3rd parties, which is important too. Nothing stops both from getting in. The point is a Rabbids game only helps the Rabbids at this point. It speaks well of them. It also helps that Rabbids and Rayman are their own series now, so they aren't in competition with each other. Overall, if we see Rayman in the game, Rabbids are pretty much coming too. Not necessarily playable(as I noted before, I think any combination of AT/Trophy/Playable could happen for both of them). Heck, we could see a Rabbid with costumes based upon Kingdom Battle, so a Mario Rabbid, Peach Rabbid, etc. As long as the costumes work. Actually, I did forget about Mii costumes. I was surprised they weren't during 4, as they fit really well under all 3 types.

Oh, I forgot to mention; it also helps they're both pretty much Ubisoft's mascots.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Okay, was any of it Smash Bros? Just wink yes if you can.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm not really sure why Rayman fell so hard in the conversation, when he seemed like the most likely next third party newcomer back in the Ballot era and nothing has happened since that reflects negatively on his chances (if anything they should have been bolstered by the growing Nintendo-Ubisoft relationship). I guess the revelation of the heavy focus on fan demand and the expectance of a Namco newcomer has led to Geno, Banjo, and a Namco newcomer severely overshadowing him.

I do think less of his chances now, though if he doesn't make the base game, I think he certainly would be a frontrunner for DLC.
If you ask me, the lack of conversation around Rayman has less to do with Rayman himself and more to do with the fact that the heavy focus on fan demand has lead to a resurgence in hope for long held dream characters such as Banjo and Geno. These two are bigger fish to fry and Rayman may have to wait a bit for his turn. Combine that with the limited character slots, and Rayman could once again be a DLC candidate.
With that being said, that shouldn't take away from all of his positive traits. I think it's just a matter of priority. As much as Rayman is popular, I can also acknowledge that there are characters that people have been waiting longer for.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
So here's a forum game to throw around:
What are your top five favorite franchises included in Smash Bros.?
:ultmario: - Longtime fan of the classic 2D and all the 3D platformers, as well as the Karts, RPGs, and GameCube Mario Party games. Can't really pick favorites here, and there'd be too many games in my top 50 to count.
:ultkirby: - Only got into the series in 2009 with my college roommate's copy of Canvas Curse, but got introduced to the series proper w/Return to Dream Land and Dream Collection. Love it for its music and aesthetics, as well as most of the main-series games giving an alternate take on Smash-esque mechanics (and several spinoffs, notably Dream Course, Air Ride, and Canvas Curse being great ideas on their own).
:ultpichu: - Only started playing in 2013 after college; my favorites are X, FireRed, and HeartGold. Not as keen on their direction since Gen VII, but hoping that the Switch main-series game better addresses the problems it attempted to fix, without tossing out the new mechanics and QoL improvements Gen V-VI added wholesale.
:ultness: - First two games are excellent, with Beginnings easily in my top 10. I'm sure MOTHER 3's just as good, but I've held off on playing it on the off-(off-)chance it ever gets an official stateside release.
:ultpacman: - Old Namco games were my childhood gaming experience, even before the Mario series. Dropped a ton of quarters on Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, and Galaga arcade machines, had a couple of Plug-and-Play machines, and played a bunch of PC ports / clones of the Pac-Man series, Dig Dug, and so forth. Having since played a ton of 80's Namco games through various Namco Museum releases (notably the XBOX Live Virtual Arcade one, which has a stellar and huge collection of games), I'm impressed at how obscure some of the stuff represented in Pac-Man's moveset, taunts, and especially the soundtrack is. Never would've expected Sky Kid or Metro-Cross to get musical representation in Smash before, say, Paper Mario (64).

As for newcomers I want at this stage, haven't really changed all that much from the Smash 4 days:
- Geno: Honestly has passed up the rest despite not really being on my radar before, partially due to having finally played SMRPG last year, but mostly due to solidarity with his fans after the two other heavily requested reveals they've already announced.
- Paper Mario: The only newcomer I really cared all that much about in the Brawl days, and still one I'd like to see given a chance. With G&W's apperance having more changes based on the moves he uses in Ultimate compared to before, I'm more confident that he'd be a possibility technically (since the Paper Mario character design doesn't adapt as naturally to being just a flattened model). The moveset potential writes itself given his number of abilities across the series, even without relying overly much on partner representation.
- Waddle Dee: Any reference to the modern Kirby games is welcome, and Waddle Dee's existing moveset (or the Spear ability from which it's taken) is among my favorite of the RtDL-style Copy Abilities.
- (Any number of Pokémon that're rarely talked about - Braixen, Emolga, Breloom, Goodra...): My tastes in Pokémon are apparently very different from the usual frontrunners, but such is to be expected when there're hundreds to choose from. Getting the veteran characters back makes me feel quite a bit better about Pokémon having a broader representation in builds and mechanics, at the least.

kylexv

Smash Master
Time to twist the mood a bit. Who are your 10 most wanted characters this time around? I'll start:

10. Balloon Fighter
9. Golisopod (w/ Guzma maybe)
8. Rex and Pyra
7. Dixie Kong
6. Isaac
5. Shadow
4. Banjo
3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
2. Skull Kid
1. Geno

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's all dead.

Well except the Karate Joe leak, that's not dead yet.
This isn't a surprise really. Has to do with the thing that appeared yesterday?

I think I can finally understand why people would rather have Decidueye instead of Incineroar

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only reason I mentioned him was the justice of seeing him suffer. I do apologize to any that are offended.
We prefer you don't spread drama from other sites, honestly. His twitter shouldn't have been posted in the first place, but it was in error. The best thing to do is entirely drop it. Guy got what was coming to him, yeah. But it has nothing to do with SB and this is becoming more witch hunting than something worth posting in the first place. Talking about his leaks is fine. Not him being a bad person, which is irrelevant to this site.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Time to twist the mood a bit. Who are your 10 most wanted characters this time around? I'll start:

10. Balloon Fighter
8. Rex and Pyra
7. Dixie Kong
6. Isaac
5. Shadow
4. Banjo
3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
2. Skull Kid
1. Geno
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Geno
3. Dixie Kong
4. Skull Kid
5. Isabelle
6. Shadow
7. Isaac
8. Bandanna Dee
9. Lip
10. Gengar (just lemme dream dammit)

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
We prefer you don't spread drama from other sites, honestly. His twitter shouldn't have been posted in the first place, but it was in error. The best thing to do is entirely drop it. Guy got what was coming to him, yeah. But it has nothing to do with SB and this is becoming more witch hunting than something worth posting in the first place. Talking about his leaks is fine. Not him being a bad person, which is irrelevant to this site.
I apologize to anyone who found my post distasteful and crude it wasn't my intention. I should have thought about the consequences of posting this here. I’ll be careful next time and again I’m sorry.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I apologize to anyone who found my post distasteful and crude it want my attention. I should have thought about the consequences of posting this here. I’ll be careful next time and again I’m sorry.
Thank you. I honestly appreciate what you said here. We all make errors. Admitting to them is the best thing one can do. :)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
So, what Assist Trophies would you all like to see? This is a question I don't see asked very often, and I just want to see your thoughts.

Edit: I would like Fi.

Additional edit: It has to be a new character to Smash.
Tumble: Shows up and rolls a Mario Party Dice Block. The number rolled determines the amount of damage / the effect nearby opponents suffer or the buff the summoner gains.

Toadies: Show up and swarm a nearby opponent, holding them in the air as an easy target. The foe uncontrollably cries obnoxiously during this.

Dr. Shrunk: He shows up and delivers one of his iconic emotions, and all nearby fighters are forced to perform a taunt at random.

Jin: Deliberately and slowly waves his sword in a circle with an icy aura around him, slowing all nearby opponent movements. Afterwards, he performs a powerful slash to send foes flying.

Lissa_Standard.png
Lissa: When summoned she holds her staff up to produce a healing aura around her. Her summoner and any allies will slowly recover health while in range of her.

Reyn_2.png
Reyn: A combat Assist Trophy, Reyn doesn't deal a lot of damage but he is relentless and very difficult to kill. Announces his presence by reading the time.

Iridium

Smash Hero
This isn't a surprise really. Has to do with the thing that appeared yesterday?

I think I can finally understand why people would rather have Decidueye instead of Incineroar

I guess I love Incineroar (Dark-type bias, man). The design is okay, although the concept bugs me a little (just a little). I'll honestly stick with it, although I don't think Litten or Torracat really made me think of any form of wrestling.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Eh, I don't mind being patient. Too much stupid leak talk could be frustrating, as well as just waiting for the direct, but surely there's other ways to occupy our time.
*internal Rathalos roars*

Then again, there really isn't much to talk about that we haven't really gone over.
*carefully thinks*

Here's something. How bout items? Any item from what series we have now you'd probably want to see in the game or have interest in? I'm certain we could make use of some more KI items (despite the sudden surge from s4 + Ultimate's Insight Staff). Lightning of Judgment, Cyc;lone, there's a lot of things you could go with from KI's massive arsenal. And with that Rathalos around, I may have interest in a MH item, like a Shock Trap or one of the elemental knife items (there's paralysis, poison for example).
Speaking of items, I kinda miss the Parasol from melee. I sometimes keep thinking about what Pit would look like slowly floating down with a Parasol.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, if we don't hear anything by tomorrow, what are the odds that CoroCoro leaks? Famitsu doesn't go to print until near the middle of the week, but CoroCoro comes earlier, right?

D

Deleted member

Nintendo end this stupid thread with an announcement, I beg you.
Well, if we don't hear anything by tomorrow, what are the odds that CoroCoro leaks? Famitsu doesn't go to print until near the middle of the week, but CoroCoro comes earlier, right?
CoroCoro doesn't cover Smash though, does it?

Last edited by a moderator:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman

10. Balloon Fighter
8. Rex and Pyra
7. Dixie Kong
6. Isaac
5. Shadow
4. Banjo
3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
2. Skull Kid
1. Geno
1. Saki
2. Andy
3. Skull Kid
4. Isaac
5. Rex and Pyra
6. Chibi-Robo
7. Dixie Kong
8. Porky
9. Lip
10. Sceptile

Ridley and K. Rool were definitely on this list, so I'm excited to at least be able to play as them!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some fake Karate Joe leak. If there is an RH rep it'll probably be Chorus Kids. I think they were only cut from Smash 4 because of 3ds limitations.
We actually don't know if they were ever planned at all. We only have Gematsu for that, but we know they a playable icon in the data, for the series itself.

Karate Joe is just as believable in the first place. Also, it could've been a cut due to having trouble making the rhythm gameplay work right.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
1. :ultlink: Breath of the Wild is one of the greatest games of all time for me, and awaiting its installments has always been highly anticipated. God, still remembering getting the Wii on launch along with Twilight Princess, then sitting down for hours and hours. I didn't want to put it down.

2. :ultpikachu: Getting another generation of Pokemon is like what Christmas morning used to be for me as a child. Forever waiting on a MMO experience.

3. :ultmario: Galaxy was very magical for me in particular, but there was always a sense of that since then. My hope is that the next big step for the series is a big open world--no more of this segregated level nonsense. Also, its not standard Mario, but Legend of the Seven Stars and the first two Paper Marios = some of the best RPGs period.

4. :ultmarth: Hard to explain--love the strategy and people. It's rank is knocked down hard because I never care for its story tropes and while the expendable cast is a unique mechanic the consequence is that it guts how involved the cast can be with the plot so it really rings hallow.

5. :ultshulk: All three of the Xenoblade games are large, beautiful worlds that are incredible to explore that I will never forget. Not without their own flaws, but with such a large game I can't fault it for not everything being as great as the rest.

Honorable Mentions:
:ultbayonetta: for being the baddest ***** of all time.
:ultolimar: for such a unique experience.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
1- Agumon
2- Crash Bandicoot
3- Isaac
4- Geno
5- Banjo
6- Skull Kid
7- Scorpion/Sub-Zero
8- Kyo Kusanagi
9- Klonoa
10- Crono

D

Deleted member

No word on the new direct date huh? If it is for the 13th, guess we'll hear 2 days or so in advance like we did for its prior release date. I just hope there actually is something smash related in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom