• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was reading a Japanese message board where someone posted an Elma leak apparently, and I kind of don't think the Japanese fans like the character Elma.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Here’s an interesting game/ something to ponder while we wait for a direct announcement. Consider this “what if” scenario:

Smash 4 DLC: :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy::ultdaisy::ultbayonetta::ultkrool::ultridley:

E3 Direct: :ultinkling::ultcorrin::ultcloud:

8.8 Direct: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultryu:

Would Smash 4 still be freakin’ huge, and Ultimate feel a little too soon and less “Ultimate”? Would having the DLC have been more reflective of the ballot and characters like Corrin and Cloud being new additions for Ultimate feel more fitting or less exciting?

And who the heck would the most hype inducing newcomer for the upcoming Direct have to be to follow K. Rool?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You and Reggie jump off the Battle Bus together and use the Infinity Gauntlet to snap everyone off the stage
Reggie doesn’t need such toys to destroy anything in life

Got em
This was posted on 4Chan as "Trophy List"

View attachment 162597
Can’t tell what that last name says, but I’m more into what the hell kind of content Kid Icarus is gonna have...I need to see Viridi's trophy in HD...and also Pandora/Amazon Pandora
Have you ever watched or read One Piece? Like, ever?
And you compare it to Dragon Ball despite knowing almost completely nothing about it? :090:
Though you’re not talking to me...does knowing about the One Piece rap count for any sort of real knowledge?
At least it's more creative than a simple change of hair color.
Don’t diss the hair...the bad*** hair
Press X to doubt.
X

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I feel like changing the topic away from non game characters in Smash:

What Kirby newcomers would you all like to see? I think Kirby is somewhat underrepresented, so there are a few others I'd like to see make it in.
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee is the one everyone is hoping for, and I do like them quite a bit. They're cute and they'd use a spear.
  2. ...however we haven't had a proper "evil" Kirby villain yet. I'm hoping that Dark Matter can make it in someday since a lot of Kirby games since KDL2, KDL3, and Kirby 64 keep bringing Dark Matter back. They can use their "Dark Matter Blade" form from KDL2 to better visualize them as a fighter.
  3. Gooey isn't especially popular but since they're the ONLY other Kirby character that can use Copy Abilities, he can fulfill an interesting niche by being the one other character in Smash that can do so, either with their own moveset or as a half clone (he doesn'thave any limbs so being an echo wouldn't work). Gooey is also described as Kirby's best friend, so it'd be nice to see him again because of that.
  4. I'd like to see Adeleine as well. Having Kirby, Dedede, and theoretically Bandana Waddle Dee together in the same game would make it so that the only Kirby 64 character missing would be her, and she can be cool as a fighting artist.
I agree Kirby needs more reps.
I personally really really really want Adeleine, but I am aware it's kind of unlikely.
And I do believe that BWD is the correct choice for Ultimate. He was playable ever since 4 player Kirby was a thing, and we already have the 3 other playable protagonists in Smash. Doesn't make sense not to complete that 4-player cast by adding in the last guy.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
(I'd support; we could talk about how Smash actually plays instead!)
Can we actually?

Rather than repeating an endless cycle of the same rubbish (seriously; if I go for a meal and come back to this thread there are 5 new pages, all of them filler) we could spend each day having an interesting discussion about each character one at a time, about the stages, about anything.

I remember back when we were on something like page 700 and the game was announced. Now look where we are and think about how much actual content is in the past >3000 pages...

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Have you ever watched or read One Piece? Like, ever?
And you compare it to Dragon Ball despite knowing almost completely nothing about it?
Of course I know about One piece, it's a show about pirates the main character is a rubber man who took a bite of gum gum as the song goes. I never watched it seriously but i have seen it and heard of it. I just think it's very hard to match Dragon ball's popularity.

Potato_

Smash Lord

What Kirby newcomers would you all like to see? I think Kirby is somewhat underrepresented, so there are a few others I'd like to see make it in.
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee is the one everyone is hoping for, and I do like them quite a bit. They're cute and they'd use a spear.
  2. ...however we haven't had a proper "evil" Kirby villain yet. I'm hoping that Dark Matter can make it in someday since a lot of Kirby games since KDL2, KDL3, and Kirby 64 keep bringing Dark Matter back. They can use their "Dark Matter Blade" form from KDL2 to better visualize them as a fighter.
  3. Gooey isn't especially popular but since they're the ONLY other Kirby character that can use Copy Abilities, he can fulfill an interesting niche by being the one other character in Smash that can do so, either with their own moveset or as a half clone (he doesn't have any limbs so being an echo wouldn't work). Gooey is also described as Kirby's best friend, so it'd be nice to see him again because of that.
  4. I'd like to see Adeleine as well. Having Kirby, Dedede, and theoretically Bandana Waddle Dee together in the same game would make it so that the only Kirby 64 character missing would be her, and she can be cool as a fighting artist.
Next to Zelda, Kirby's the franchise I want to see more of. My picks are Bandana Dee and Marx but I'd be fine with Adeleine or Dark Matter as well.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Thanos

- Appears in:

LEGO: Marvel Superheroes (Wii U, 3DS, DS)
LEGO: Marvel's Avengers (3DS, Wii U)
Guardians of the Galaxy: Telltale Series (Switch)
Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (Switch)
Fortnite (Switch)

As you can see, Thanos has made plenty of appearances on Nintendo consoles and that's why he should be in.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Of course I know about One piece, it's a show about pirates the main character is a rubber man who took a bite of gum gum as the song goes. I never watched it seriously but i have seen it and heard of it. I just think it's very hard to match Dragon ball's popularity.
Get out...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just because a series has a video game, it doesn’t mean the characters within in are now “video game characters”.

A multitude of comic book heroes have had video games. Batman, Spider-Man (new game is ****ing awesome by the way), and many others have had games adapted to the origin series. That doesn’t change the fact that they aren’t video games characters. They’re characters WITH video game appearances, but they are not originally video game characters.

The problem with adding characters or series that aren’t original to video games is that it would completely go against the theme of the game. Ever look at the YouTube page for the E3 Smash segment? It says something along the lines of, “Gaming legends collide in Super Smash Bros Ultimate”.

You want a few characters who are legendary, but not legendary for video games as their origin? Batman, Spider-Man, and Goku. Those are characters that are rather exceptional, and would probably all be extremely fun in Smash, but they would all stick out like a sore thumb.

Honestly, this is a topic that annoys me. It’s not just because I disagree with the concept of it (I certainly do), but that it takes a leap of logic and a selective ignorance of any sort of evidence suggesting that a non-gaming character would get in anyway. Not only has Sakurai said they wouldn’t be added, but also that the Mii Fighters could serve that purpose well.

It just seems like the only thing that matters with this discussion is, “they’re popular”. No ****. Just because a character is popular doesn’t mean they’re going to be in Smash.

Iridium

Smash Hero
How would you all feel if we got a fourth taunt button? As in, one the two sideways buttons has a new taunt. What new taunts would you like to see added?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Well it is because it straight-up surpassed it. Like, many years ago. You're pretty late to the party.
I have seen the worldwide Dragon ball merchandising sales and I very much doubt it.

Everyone knows Goku and grew up with the show. I don't know many kids these days talking about Luffy.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
How would you all feel if we got a fourth taunt button? As in, one the two sideways buttons has a new taunt. What new taunts would you like to see added?
I want more taunts but it'd be hard to implement. Maybe just a forward taunt and a back taunt but that won't happen.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

3. Gooey isn't especially popular but since they're the ONLY other Kirby character that can use Copy Abilities, he can fulfill an interesting niche by being the one other character in Smash that can do so, either with their own moveset or as a half clone (he doesn't have any limbs so being an echo wouldn't work). Gooey is also described as Kirby's best friend, so it'd be nice to see him again because of that.

I agree with Bandana Dee being a fitting choice for the next Kirby rep. He has become the 4th major reoccurring character in the Kirby series and is considered to be one of the faces of modern Kirby. The Waddle Dees themselves are iconic Kirby characters as well, and Bandana Dee has become the face of them, so his inclusion makes sense.

Another Kirby character I'd love to see in Smash is Susie Haltmann from Kirby: Planet Robobot. Admittedly, this one is more a biased pick on my part; she's not likely to be added into the base roster since her game came out a year after the roster was decided on.

She's one of my favorite villains in fiction and and up there with Meta Knight for my favorite Kirby character, so her being playable in Smash would be awesome. She does have some credentials going for her too: she has become a very popular Kirby character in recent years, got a 3DS menu themes starring her, and she even made an appearance in one of those recent Kirby spinoffs (the Star Allies datamine even implies she'll be one of the next DLC characters for that game). I also think she'd be pretty unique in Smash where she'd would pilot her robot and use it in combat like Kirby does in Planet Robobot; She would be a great way of referencing the Robobot gimmick from her game where her moveset would reference moves from the other Robobot abilities, and she could even some of her moves from her father's boss fight as well.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
"I don't really know about it, so I'm assuming it's less popular than what I like"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have seen the worldwide Dragon ball merchandising sales and I very much doubt it.

Everyone knows Goku and grew up with the show. I don't know many kids these days talking about Luffy.
Maybe because
1. One Piece was written about a decade later.
2. One Piece's anime got made, y'know, around the same time later.
3. One Piece didn't get a dub until 4Kids thought it was somehow kid-friendly enough. This was the time where the internet or pirating Japanese manga where nobody in America knew how to read Japanese barely existed. Dubs were the only way to know how an anime existed outside of bootlegs in thrift stores.
4. One Piece's western image is probably tainted because anime at the time was still made for the whole "it's for kids!" gimmick.
5. Dragon Ball rules Adult Swim's Toonami block because Dragon Ball had much more Western success, but in Japan, where it actually matters, it's way more towering over any miniscule Western support Dragon Ball could have ever obtained and still makes it globally superior.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Imagine a trailer with Agumon for Smash!
You guys have ideas for it?
I like Agumon and I really like digimom rumble arena 2 the game. But I don't think Agumon is suited to smash just because of how similar it is to Pokemon unfortunately. I imagine his moveset would be similar to rumble arena 2 check out the game if you haven't heard of it it's pretty much smash bros.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'm not sure what I would want, but how about customizable taunts? Kind of how Destiny handled it. Except you know...you actually unlock them via story mode or whatever.

EDIT: No transactions...hopefully.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Just because everyone knows Goku it doesn't mean he should even be considered for Smash. Can you please just drop it? There's a reason people find the idea of a Manga character in Smash ridiculous. It doesn't mean we're downplaying the significance of the character, but adding Goku goes against one of the major rules we do know is required. Being a video game character. It DOES NOT MATTER if you personally consider him a video game character. He is not.

Saying Sakurai could do it if he wants is not a legitimate counterpoint either. Shrek has appeared in video games. It does not mean he's a video game character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom