• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord

And then they never made a good game again.
Lord that game was awesome. The fact that they actually gave Yugi a moveset was mindblowing to me.

Hopefully Jump Force is even half of this game's greatness

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So anyway, how about that Ryu Hayabusa?

I'm thinking that the Fire Wheel Ninpo would be his Down B, and maybe a standard shuriken for his Neutral B would make sense.

Izuna Drop would be his Up throw. Anyone got more ideas? I think he has a Flash Kick type of move that could be his Up B attack, though I could be thinking of someone else.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
According to Wikipedia, Dragon Ball is down by about 80 million. That's pretty big...
Dragon Ball in terms of merchandise in total is blowing away everything and is the clear cut #1 for Bandai for the last year or so. So in terms of money being made Dragon Ball is at the top. I saw several figures about this but can't find them at the moment, but I'm in the Dragon Ball community so I saw these numbers pop up every now and then and know they're accurate.

But it doesn't mean Goku's gonna be in Smash lol.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
To reiterate: You're wrong. As someone who was in Japan only a year ago, I can assure you, I seen One Piece figures everywhere. I was in Akihabara maybe once every three days for a period of two weeks and I seen a countless amount of OP figures second hand, besting even Evangelion figures. I also seen very few Dragon Ball figures.
So? That could just mean One piece merchandise is more popular because of characters like Chopper.

Longevity and fanfare are much more important indicators socially on whether or not a character is popular.

Anyway I was just giving my 2 cents idk why Goku always causes such a huge debate with fans maybe it's a topic best left alone then if people are so opinionated over a character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
They own all exclusive platform rights to DBZ as they're smash developers they could add him in smash.

They published a fighting game with Goku in it as a playable fighter recently and they didn't develop the game.

100 percent legally they have the right to include Goku in smash ultimate.
Dragon Ball Z...
Created and still worked on by Akira Toriyama
Manga rights owned by Bird Studio/Shueisha, Toei Animation owns the anime rights, Funimation owns the rights to dubbing all DBZ related things. The franchise overall is owned by Funimation, Toei Animation, Shueisha, and Akira Toriyama...please support the official release.

Bandai Namco only owns the gaming rights to DBZ, but do not have the rights to just do whatever they want with Goku and friends without permission from the DBZ higher ups.

Abha

Smash Journeyman
Is his Final Smash T-posing during an epic Fortnite win on-stream with a $500 donation, all while consuming Doritos and Totinos pizza rolls?
You and Reggie jump off the Battle Bus together and use the Infinity Gauntlet to snap everyone off the stage

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The fact that I can think of a soundtrack (metal...) almost scares me. Anyway, where did you find that image?
Persona 2 has Adolf Hitler as a major character.
Of course, people were kiiiiinda iffy on that, so they gave him sunglasses and renamed him "The Fuhrer"

SIDENOTE: EVERYONE PLAY PERSONA 2 DUOLOGY.

D

Deleted member

So we all are just gonna forget the ONE TRUE contender to be in Smash Ultimate?

READY TO ATTACK.png

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling people their favorite character suggestions are bad. Insofar as character speculation has a purpose at all, and it's a valid position it has no purpose and shouldn't be done at all (I'd support; we could talk about how Smash actually plays instead!), why would you even want to discuss it if your viewpoint isn't open for discussion and criticism? Discussions in which everyone agrees are boring, and any venue in which it's not possible for someone to disagree with you is a venue in which you can find no real satisfaction from people agreeing with you either since you know it's an artificial echo chamber and not a real perspective.

I'll actually give the following hot take that is probably the most controversial of them all: it doesn't actually matter at all who gets in. It would be somewhat damaging if they cheapened the game with anime characters or just picked really boring characters like Bandana Dee, but the game would still be fine and most actually likely choices would improve the game probably by about similar amounts. In the end, they're going to build so many quality, interesting movesets, and what is actually going to make the game fun to play will be the interaction of those gameplay elements and not the pretty pictures that represent them. I think we're all gamers and all have games we like so it's not insane to care somewhat, but if you actually care enough to get like emotionally hurt or whatever over this, you need to rethink your hobbies because even as a ridiculously huge Smash fan I can say it seriously does not matter in the end which characters are in. I'm not just trying to be mean either; we're only a few months away, and we know there aren't a lot of characters left so if your favorite isn't already in sorry their chances aren't great literally no matter who your favorite is so you might as well be ready for it now.

To address another topic, the case of Dracula's appearance is interesting because it's true he's definitely overall a non-video game character. He's not playable and more of a cameo so it's even less interesting than usual to dive into, but there are a few factors. For one, the novel Dracula is actually in public domain so there is no licensing at all for him from that perspective; I think for characters more than 100 years old before copyright law was rewritten to be eternal it's a looser thing. On the other hand, the Dracula from Castlevania is definitely a pretty specific take on the classic character; it's kinda like most elements of the Kid Icarus games clearly borrow from Greek mythology but change it up pretty heavily (see: Medusa). Dracula is a little bit stronger of a tie since Castlevania more expands on the novel than reimagines it (the novel Dracula is actually considered canon to the Castlevania series), but it's not completely outside of reason especially for just a boss character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The fact that we ended up talking about Hitler summarizes Goku in Smash discussions pretty well.

Potato_

Smash Lord

I'm thinking that the Fire Wheel Ninpo would be his Down B, and maybe a standard shuriken for his Neutral B would make sense.

Izuna Drop would be his Up throw. Anyone got more ideas? I think he has a Flash Kick type of move that could be his Up B attack, though I could be thinking of someone else.
He's one of the third parties that I think makes a huge amount of sense but not many people are talking about. NES legend, unique moveset potential, and would be recognizable to a lot of people. Moveset wise I don't know what'd they'd do but neutral b would HAVE to be shuriken for sure.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Still no direct date or leaks I guess.

On the topic, Luffy beats Goku.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Dragon Ball in terms of merchandise in total is blowing away everything and is the clear cut #1 for Bandai for the last year or so. So in terms of money being made Dragon Ball is at the top. I saw several figures about this but can't find them at the moment, but I'm in the Dragon Ball community so I saw these numbers pop up every now and then and know they're accurate.

But it doesn't mean Goku's gonna be in Smash lol.
Yeah. I'm honestly not surprised to see One Piece high up. I'm not a crazy anime fan though, so I don't really beg for him.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ryu Hayabusa is top 10 for me.
He's cool, he's iconic, he's got 20 years of moveset potential, is a staple of an entire genre of games, and is a recurring character in a fighting game series already.

He's the most likely character no one talks about.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Topical? I'm a fan but this **** looks crazy to the layman

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Saitama > Goku don’t @ me

Anyway, we really do need a direct soon...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I feel like changing the topic away from non game characters in Smash:

What Kirby newcomers would you all like to see? I think Kirby is somewhat underrepresented, so there are a few others I'd like to see make it in.
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee is the one everyone is hoping for, and I do like them quite a bit. They're cute and they'd use a spear.
  2. ...however we haven't had a proper "evil" Kirby villain yet. I'm hoping that Dark Matter can make it in someday since a lot of Kirby games since KDL2, KDL3, and Kirby 64 keep bringing Dark Matter back. They can use their "Dark Matter Blade" form from KDL2 to better visualize them as a fighter.
  3. Gooey isn't especially popular but since they're the ONLY other Kirby character that can use Copy Abilities, he can fulfill an interesting niche by being the one other character in Smash that can do so, either with their own moveset or as a half clone (he doesn't have any limbs so being an echo wouldn't work). Gooey is also described as Kirby's best friend, so it'd be nice to see him again because of that.
  4. I'd like to see Adeleine as well. Having Kirby, Dedede, and theoretically Bandana Waddle Dee together in the same game would make it so that the only Kirby 64 character missing would be her, and she can be cool as a fighting artist.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t play Ninja Gaiden but Ryu H would be worth it for having 4-2 in Smash.

Potato_

Smash Lord
There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling people their favorite character suggestions are bad. Insofar as character speculation has a purpose at all, and it's a valid position it has no purpose and shouldn't be done at all (I'd support; we could talk about how Smash actually plays instead!), why would you even want to discuss it if your viewpoint isn't open for discussion and criticism? Discussions in which everyone agrees are boring, and any venue in which it's not possible for someone to disagree with you is a venue in which you can find no real satisfaction from people agreeing with you either since you know it's an artificial echo chamber and not a real perspective.

I'll actually give the following hot take that is probably the most controversial of them all: it doesn't actually matter at all who gets in. It would be somewhat damaging if they cheapened the game with anime characters or just picked really boring characters like Bandana Dee, but the game would still be fine and most actually likely choices would improve the game probably by about similar amounts. In the end, they're going to build so many quality, interesting movesets, and what is actually going to make the game fun to play will be the interaction of those gameplay elements and not the pretty pictures that represent them. I think we're all gamers and all have games we like so it's not insane to care somewhat, but if you actually care enough to get like emotionally hurt or whatever over this, you need to rethink your hobbies because even as a ridiculously huge Smash fan I can say it seriously does not matter in the end which characters are in. I'm not just trying to be mean either; we're only a few months away, and we know there aren't a lot of characters left so if your favorite isn't already in sorry their chances aren't great literally no matter who your favorite is so you might as well be ready for it now.
There's a way to deliver character suggestion criticsm without sounding rude, and that just never happens in Goku discussions. Look at this thread, it's literally one guy saying it's possible and about 6 or 7 people taking turns saying why his reasoning is bad, sometimes calling him an idiot, etc. It's not productive in the slightest, and I'd much rather see discussion on stuff we can actually HAVE proper discourse on.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second point btw. Despite the character chosen, I'm sure moveset-wise they'll be a hell of a lot of fun.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I watched a walkthrough of the first game a while back, and my support is still going! Sakurai can treat him like he did Snake with the gory background, and he should mostly be good, if he gets in.

Edit: Or Bayonetta.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

What Kirby newcomers would you all like to see? I think Kirby is somewhat underrepresented, so there are a few others I'd like to see make it in.
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee is the one everyone is hoping for, and I do like them quite a bit. They're cute and they'd use a spear.
  2. ...however we haven't had a proper "evil" Kirby villain yet. I'm hoping that Dark Matter can make it in someday since a lot of Kirby games since KDL2, KDL3, and Kirby 64 keep bringing Dark Matter back. They can use their "Dark Matter Blade" form from KDL2 to better visualize them as a fighter.
  3. Gooey isn't especially popular but since they're the ONLY other Kirby character that can use Copy Abilities, he can fulfill an interesting niche by being the one other character in Smash that can do so, either with their own moveset or as a half clone (he doesn'thave any limbs so being an echo wouldn't work). Gooey is also described as Kirby's best friend, so it'd be nice to see him again because of that.
  4. I'd like to see Adeleine as well. Having Kirby, Dedede, and theoretically Bandana Waddle Dee together in the same game would make it so that the only Kirby 64 character missing would be her, and she can be cool as a fighting artist.
Has to be Bandana Dee, both in terms of modern importance and popularity he's the clear winner. I have a slight preference for Dark Matter, I'm a huge fan of its series of games, and I like the simplicity of it as I feel it makes it fit very well as Kirby's main villain, but it's hard to deny Bandana Dee the right of getting into Smash first, and he'd be of course also be a great addition himself.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It actually does bring up a point, Sakurai does bring a lot more pioneers than innovators, doesn't he?
Untitled.png
He's in.

Don't tell me that's Luffy's super saiyan. Looks dreadful
Have you ever watched or read One Piece? Like, ever?
And you compare it to Dragon Ball despite knowing almost completely nothing about it? :090:

D

Deleted member

3. Gooey isn't especially popular but since they're the ONLY other Kirby character that can use Copy Abilities, he can fulfill an interesting niche by being the one other character in Smash that can do so, either with their own moveset or as a half clone (he doesn't have any limbs so being an echo wouldn't work). Gooey is also described as Kirby's best friend, so it'd be nice to see him again because of that.
Like Zelda, I am pretty much okay with anyone. I don't dislike anyone from Kirby, any character from that series is fair game. I'd just like a new one.
Bandana Dee, Dark Matter, Marx, and Adeleine would probably be the ones to excite me the most, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom