• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I feel somewhat like this, but it's mostly a coincidence because I've rarely enjoyed non-Japanese games.
Not even the Primes, but that's because I can't seem to enjoy first person games...
I don't see a reason to not want them just because they are western, tho.
I guess it's because it hasn't happened yet. Maybe if we get characters from Western games I'll feel different about it then

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Talking about western characters, I really love Shantae's desing. I played the 2 games that were released on the Wii U and they were very fun! and she got so much potencial moveset. I won't mind if she gets in aslongIsaacElmaAndDixiealsomakethecut

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Yeah this is what i saw, floating around. I mean it sounds plausible.
i just don't know how bad of an aftermath it is over there in Japan.

The cat's outta the bag for that Yoshi game so i assume they'll say F it and spill the beans as soon as they can.
A nearly 7 magnitude earthquake is sure to leave a ton of damage where it hits, but I wouldn't be surprised if Japan is able to get everything back in working order soon. The kind of work ethic people have over there is insane.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
The blog not being updated as of now very much points to something, imo. I wonder what the replacement is going to be.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Because they ceased to be easy gets.

There's even hints that Perfect Dark was slightly considered Smash material as some items had similar designs.

Both were franchises that were known as Nintendo games and when Microsoft snatched up both. Any potential of that became moot. Because they became third party and thus harder for him to negotiate.
But even after 3rd party characters were added, he still never added them.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Lol... I can't even..
lol I don't get what you're confused about. I don't like the way Sora is designed, and I don't like the way most Western characters are designed (not including Sora, because he's not a Western character). What part is confusing? There are no Western characters aside from the Shantae characters that I like the designs of

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I personally don't like Shantae's design, but that's neither here nor there.

She comes across as someone to me who was designed to be both cute but also sexy and catering to fans who are the kind of people who also get off on anime girls. She even has **** like slumber party costumes, etc, etc.

And that's a serious hinder on any type of quality gameplay her games could have for me.

It's the same kind of stuff that makes me roll my eyes when watching anime. Just let the strong female character not have to be objectified or have weebified cuteness to make her waifu potential. It's gross.

(And before anyone brings up Bayonetta. Bayonetta is deliberately in control of the male gaze on her. She relishes in it and uses it as her power. It's a commentary on it and it's use in gaming, so shhh.)

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
The blog not being updated as of now very much points to something, imo. I wonder what the replacement is going to be.
If I had to hazard a guess, nothing. Then tommorow they give us an update on the direct and we get random stuff until then.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
A nearly 7 magnitude earthquake is sure to leave a ton of damage where it hits, but I wouldn't be surprised if Japan is able to get everything back in working order soon. The kind of work ethic people have over there is insane.
Sakurai's work ethic is the embodiment of what i think Japan's general resilience and work ethic.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
also talking about the Poké Floats hoax: has "Bandana Dee" ever been used as the official name for the character? bc I think they'd go with "Bandana Waddle Dee" or just "Waddle Dee"

just pointing it out, bc little details can break rumors (like "Crash B." in that one or "Agnés" in that other one), so that's a thing to pay attention in every rumor

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So, therefore Dark Samus is a japanese character
I mean if you want to think a character designed in Austin, Texas by a company founded in Austin, Texas is Japanese, you’re welcome to.

If I buy land in Japan and build a store on it and hire Japanese employees to make and sell something, I’d hardly call it an American product.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd just like to point out that a lot of early anime was inspired by western animation. There's not a single clear, dividing line between an "western" cartoon style and an "anime" style. Western cartoons inspired anime, and while I'm certainly no expert on the subject, I'll bet you Japanese animation inspired some parts of modern western animation as well.

Not that there even is a single "western animation" or "anime" style.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
lol I don't get what you're confused about. I don't like the way Sora is designed, and I don't like the way most Western characters are designed (not including Sora, because he's not a Western character). What part is confusing? There are no Western characters aside from the Shantae characters that I like the designs of
Ok then, why don't you like Sora's design?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
also talking about the Poké Floats hoax: has "Bandana Dee" ever been used as the official name for the character? bc I think they'd go with "Bandana Waddle Dee" or just "Waddle Dee"

just pointing it out, bc little details can break rumors (like "Crash B." in that one or "Agnés" in that other one), so that's a thing to pay attention in every rumor
I'm not into Kirby at all, but I find it really weird that this Waddle Dee has been around for as long as he has and they've never bothered to give him a proper name. Calling him Bandana Waddle Dee just seems really weird as an official name.
After they started making him more of a part of the main cast, you'd think they would have bothered to name him or something.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So, therefore Dark Samus is a japanese character
I don't think so, it was created by an North-American subsidiary. I mean sure, owned by a Japanese company, but Nintendo is a multinational company. Otherwise Diddy and K. Rool are Japanese too

Chrono.

>inb4 Nintendo just uploads the reveal trailer by itself
I'd pop off for that.
I'm not into Kirby at all, but I find it really weird that this Waddle Dee has been around for as long as he has and they've never bothered to give him a proper name. Calling him Bandana Waddle Dee just seems really weird as an official name.
After they started making him more of a part of the main cast, you'd think they would have bothered to name him or something.
Yeah, why don't we just call him Frank.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Eating breadsticks while talking about Smash is the best~

Also, (I wasn't here for that main discussion) that Pokefloats thing was really well made. That Sakurai picture, however, was pretty bad. I appreciate more thought going into these fakes.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Ok then, why don't you like Sora's design?
This is going to sound very picky, but I just think he looks too realistic and not anime enough, which is the same reason I don't like Final Fantasy. And I know, characters like Snake and Simon look realistic as well, but there's just something about Sora that just bugs me, and I can't figure out why. I'm sorry if that triggers anyone, I'm just saying how I feel

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Well Shovelware got leaked
So that means there will only be one Unique Newcomer then.

So when the direct comes and that game is shown, it's safe to stop watching the direct. At least the disappointment of that title is out of the of the way now. Unless there's actually a 2nd newcomer right at the end of the direct.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I guess it's because it hasn't happened yet. Maybe if we get characters from Western games I'll feel different about it then
Such as Dark Samus or K. Rool or Diddy Kong?
There is no need to move the goalposts.

But even after 3rd party characters were added, he still never added them.
Microsoft is still Nintendo's biggest competitor no matter how sweet they are to each other.
Every third party comes with benefit to Nintendo beyond making Smash fan feels good.
This is why B&K are so different from the others. It's not about being Western.

D

Deleted member

Eh, whether it's "official" or not, it still could be used.
There was never a "Toon Link" until Brawl.

Chrono.

This is going to sound very picky, but I just think he looks too realistic and not anime enough, which is the same reason I don't like Final Fantasy. And I know, characters like Snake and Simon look realistic as well, but there's just something about Sora that just bugs me, and I can't figure out why. I'm sorry if that triggers anyone, I'm just saying how I feel
>Final Fantasy
>Not anime enough

Holy ****.

This isn't even weebing. This is... Advanced Weebing.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Such as Dark Samus or K. Rool or Diddy Kong?
There is no need to move the goalposts.

Microsoft is still Nintendo's biggest competitor no matter how sweet they are to each other.
Every third party comes with benefit to Nintendo beyond making Smash fan feels good.
This is why B&K are so different from the others. It's not about being Western.
But Dark Samus, K Rool, and Diddy Kong are from Japanese games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom