• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I definitely hyped when I first saw Olimar on the Brawl Dojo.

But like the unapologetic genwunner that I am, Pokémon Trainer got me hyped that I preordered the game on the day he was revealed.
Yeah, seeing Olimar revealed in the Smash Dojo actually shocked me, I was like "wow, they made the dude from Pikmin, wtf how would he even work" lmao. Extremely cool and welcome addition if you ask me.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Gosh, I feel really bored when it comes to Smash speculation, even after these couple of days full of fake image leaks. The next Direct announcement couldn't come any sooner..
My bets are that we will get a Direct around the same time as last year (last year was 13th). Hopefully the announcement will be sometime during this next week.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
OK, so I'm sorry if this was brought up already or not, but I have a theory about the music theory.

The music theory is that series music indicates if a newcomer is in. If a franchise shows up with a music, we deconfirm any future characters. Music can tie into character reveals. I belive this theory is partially true.

Taking a look at the music tracks, there are 4 tracks that can be associated with a newcomer reveal.
Brinstar Depths -:ultridley:
Bomb Rush Blush-:ultinkling:
Bloody Tears/ Monster Dance-:ultsimon:
Gang-Plank Galleon-:ultkrool:

Disregarding the fact that they are associated to newcomers, I believe that there is one more thing that unifies these tracks. The length of the preview. All of these preview tracks are around the 1:10 to 1:20 mark. Compare this to the other previews, that are normally around the 0:50 to 1:00 mark. There is however one anomaly in this group.

Main Theme (BOTW) is 1:17, but isn't associated with any newcomers so far. Maybe, Nintendo is hinting at a potential Zelda newcomer? (The main issue here is that the main focus in Zelda newcomers, is Skull Kid, and BOTW has almost nothing to do with Skull Kid. Then again, Solid Snake has to my knowledge nothing to do with Snake Eater, and Chrom isn't the direct focus of Fire Emblem Heroes, and Vega's Theme isn't associated with Ryu.)

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I find it kind of sad that no one really talks about Travis Touchdown anymore in regards to being a possible newcomer for Smash Ultimate. Suda51 has begged Sakurai to include him in a Smash game since Brawl, yet no one roots for him anymore except for a minority. So many people on this site constantly focus on other third party characters like Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Shantae, and Geno, yet Travis doesn't get any love anymore even though he would be just as unique of an addition. He would bring some really killer songs with him as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WZp1h4gjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwY8_nMpvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRdeghzh89A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-V8htEtAYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk77S5KvCx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prdxCtBML3E

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, seeing Olimar revealed in the Smash Dojo actually shocked me, I was like "wow, they made the dude from Pikmin, wtf how would he even work" lmao. Extremely cool and welcome addition if you ask me.
I was a big Olimar supporter during pre-Brawl! Pikmin was one of my first three Gamecube games (the other two were Luigi's Mansion and Melee).

Enchess

Smash Lord
Gonna sneak in a mention that :ultwiifittrainer: gets the #25 and #26 all-time best selling video games without even being a console pack in.

Now I can just quote this next time someone tries to call her obscure...

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Gonna sneak in a mention that :ultwiifittrainer: gets the #25 and #26 all-time best selling video games without even being a console pack in.

Her games sold well but she's still not memorable.

Checkmate!

StormC

Smash Hero
I find it kind of sad that no one really talks about Travis Touchdown anymore in regards to being a possible newcomer for Smash Ultimate. Suda51 has begged Sakurai to include him in a Smash game since Brawl, yet no one roots for him anymore except for a minority. So many people on this site constantly focus on other third party characters like Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Shantae, and Geno, yet Travis doesn't get any love anymore even though he would be just as unique of an addition. He would bring some really killer songs with him as well.
Would help if more than 50 people played No More Heroes. :p

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Same, though I'm not holding my breath. After Ridley and K Rool, I expect a general Nintendo Direct to not tell us much, and probably won't have any surprises. Unless it winds up as unpredictable as the Aug Direct.

Unless you meant the next Smash Direct, in which case the wait'll be even longer. :urg:
I mean general Nintendo Direct. There's bound to be one this month, there's no way there isn't one this month. If there is, I'm not expecting a segment dedicated to Smash like in the E3, but rather a newcomer reveal trailer at the end of it, like how they usually did for Smash4.
When it comes to the next Smash Direct, I'd say first week of November.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's bizarre. I absolutely adore the No More Heroes games, and they're as big a console seller to me as Smash or Mario, yet for whatever reason I have no desire to see Travis in Smash as a playable character.

Not sure if it's because he'd have to be heavily neutered to work(no swearing, no **** innuendos, no bloody carnage) but it's not like Snake and Bayonetta didn't also get that treatment. No idea why, as you say NMH has some awesome tracks.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Want to get triggered again? Here!
I yelled at the TV when I stumbled on that... Not ashamed. You can't put Snake in S tier and Shulk in B tier and even pretend you know what you're talking about.

Shulk is in a SSS tier alone if we take them at their heights. In SS tier with Bayonetta as a fellow God-killer otherwise. And by God-killer I'm not talking Palutena level gods. I'm talking can-rewrite-the-rules-of-the-universe level gods.

blackghost

Smash Champion
It's a tradition when we have 16 newcomers to look forward to, not around 8 or so unique characters. At least, personally, I'd be miffed if B&K, Geno, Isaac were slighted so Cooking Mama could get in (sorry Cooking Mama fans, all five of you). I mean, I feel the same way about a Pokemon being in just for the sake of there being a Pokemon. But at least it's a huge franchise.
I still feel that geno chances to get in are decent but thats mainly due to the fact that DLC of tomb raider,crash, or another 3rd party would be a much bugger impact than geno or isaac would. just simple reality. alsoits a bad habit i see on this forum people act like certain characters are huge because they are huge fo rthem but act like ther very relevant current characters aren't. cooking mama sold 5.66 million. series has fans. not sure of your joking or not.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I think it's probably easier that I do the ones my parents don't collectively recognize:
:ultfalcon::ultbayonetta::ulticeclimbers::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultrichter::ultvillager:
Some explanations for the list:
Like for Pokémon, my dad only played up to Platinum and my mom frequently plays Pokémon Go with him so they both would recognize everyone except Greninja.
Metroid, my mom and dad wouldn't remember Ridley and never touched the Prime games.
They never played Mario Galaxy or any of the recent Mario Karts despite my brothers and I playing through them. So Rosalina would be a bit of a headscratcher for them.
My dad would know all the FE characters in here due to picking up FEH after playing through both Awakening and Fates.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

It's just that her game's demographic isn't what you'd expect to see at Smash tournaments. That's probably why she was seen as a literally who when she was first revealed at E3 2013.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I still feel that geno chances to get in are decent but thats mainly due to the fact that DLC of tomb raider,crash, or another 3rd party would be a much bugger impact than geno or isaac would. just simple reality. alsoits a bad habit i see on this forum people act like certain characters are huge because they are huge fo rthem but act like ther very relevant current characters aren't. cooking mama sold 5.66 million. series has fans. not sure of your joking or not.
One of my college pals was legit rooting for Cooking Mama. I could never really tell how serious he was, but the point is the support exists haha.

It's just that her game's demographic isn't what you'd expect to see at Smash tournaments. That's probably why she was seen as a literally who when she was first revealed at E3 2013.
Yeah, but that's different from being "obscure". With Smash celebrating Nintendo history, it makes sense to throw in their most well-known to the general public IP. We just didn't do a great job predicting her cuz of bubble.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Wii Fit Trainer is obscure
Want to get triggered again? Here!
I was only half triggered by Pit’s placement...the guy who has killed many gods with a bow (but it was reasonable why he wasn’t ranked super high)
OK, so I'm sorry if this was brought up already or not, but I have a theory about the music theory.

The music theory is that series music indicates if a newcomer is in. If a franchise shows up with a music, we deconfirm any future characters. Music can tie into character reveals. I belive this theory is partially true.

Taking a look at the music tracks, there are 4 tracks that can be associated with a newcomer reveal.
Brinstar Depths -:ultridley:
Bomb Rush Blush-:ultinkling:
Bloody Tears/ Monster Dance-:ultsimon:
Gang-Plank Galleon-:ultkrool:

Disregarding the fact that they are associated to newcomers, I believe that there is one more thing that unifies these tracks. The length of the preview. All of these preview tracks are around the 1:10 to 1:20 mark. Compare this to the other previews, that are normally around the 0:50 to 1:00 mark. There is however one anomaly in this group.

Main Theme (BOTW) is 1:17, but isn't associated with any newcomers so far. Maybe, Nintendo is hinting at a potential Zelda newcomer? (The main issue here is that the main focus in Zelda newcomers, is Skull Kid, and BOTW has almost nothing to do with Skull Kid. Then again, Solid Snake has to my knowledge nothing to do with Snake Eater, and Chrom isn't the direct focus of Fire Emblem Heroes, and Vega's Theme isn't associated with Ryu.)
Yeah, Zelda and Street Fighter already having music does make this theory slightly weaker than it would be otherwise, but it’s still something that can end up being a close enough pattern

We still need songs from :ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultlittlemac::ultmario::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultrob::ultshulk::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer:

While songs from :ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultyoshi: have already been teased

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Question for you guys.

If Snake didn't make it in Brawl, would he still be one of the third-party request frontliners?
I believe so, as he's a true gaming icon, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I yelled at the TV when I stumbled on that... Not ashamed. You can't put Snake in S tier and Shulk in B tier and even pretend you know what you're talking about.

Shulk is in a SSS tier alone if we take them at their heights. In SS tier with Bayonetta as a fellow God-killer otherwise. And by God-killer I'm not talking Palutena level gods. I'm talking can-rewrite-the-rules-of-the-universe level gods.
And he put R.O.B. in the same tier as Shulk. Doesn't make sense in any way.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know, to add extra perspective for the youngins, here is every video game that sold better than Duck Hunt. Ever.

Tetris, Minecraft, GTA V, Wii Sports, Player Unknown: Battlegrounds (genuinely surprised), Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Pokemon R&B, New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Skyrim

Duck Hunt sold better than most Marios, every Zelda, all but one Pokemon, most Mario Karts, all the Mario Sports games, every DK, every Metroid, every Kid Icarus, every Mother, every Xenoblade, every...

You get the point. Duck Hunt is probably more widely recognized than we can imagine.

Reference:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
Interesting.

I was one of those who really liked DHD. Honestly, they and Robin are the only Sm4sh newcomers that really did anything for me, so I was pretty happy to play with them. But seeing this list...

I've been wanting a Tetris stage for ages, and it's always my first one made for Stage Builder, Minecraft would make an awesome stage (and Creepers as assists or Smash Run enemies) considering how important it is nowadays, we've got what we need for Wii Sports, Mario, and Pokémon...
...and everyone knows what I think about Skyrim...
Support Dovahkiin for Smash! Join the ranks of the Dragonborn!

I'm really hungry for more news though. Sifting through a bunch of fake leaks is boring - I don't even care anymore. At this point, even if we've seen a real one, I'll be surprised since I'm just tossing them all on principle. We need more Smash news from an official source.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Wii Fit Trainer is obscure
Not well-known by Smash fanbase =/= obscure.

If an IP has become well-known to general public, it isn't obscure regardless of how many gamers know it. That's my main point. Obscure is definitely the wrong word.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not well-known by Smash fanbase =/= obscure.

If an IP has become well-known to general public, it isn't obscure regardless of how many gamers know it. That's my main point. Obscure is definitely the wrong word.
I think my smart*** remake went over your head

StormC

Smash Hero
Question for you guys.

If Snake didn't make it in Brawl, would he still be one of the third-party request frontliners?
I believe so, as he's a true gaming icon, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.
Eh. About as requested as a Resident Evil character. People would be turned off by lack of a strong Nintendo connection and use of real guns.

blackghost

Smash Champion
One of my college pals was legit rooting for Cooking Mama. I could never really tell how serious he was, but the point is the support exists haha.

Yeah, but that's different from being "obscure". With Smash celebrating Nintendo history, it makes sense to throw in their most well-known to the general public IP. We just didn't do a great job predicting her cuz of bubble.

and thats honestly my point. bubbles exist. the smashboards thread exists within the "geno is a huge and popular character" bubble. Cooking mama is closer to wii fit trainer demographic. a character who is clumsy and goofy and uses food as a moveset sounds like a Sakurai addition to me. Since my charatcer's inclusion was nothing but hope to start in smash 4 it makes no sense for me to root against underdogs like shantae or cooking mama.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
No matter how you look at it, Bayonetta was chosen under very specific circumstances that I'm not sure are easily repeatable. Castlevania and Simon Belmont fit Sakurai's typical third party criteria much more.

Here's what Sakurai had to say after Cloud was added:

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Bayonetta is also probably more of a Nintendo character in the eyes of a lot of people nowadays, but that's just my own speculation.
Going back to this because I believe that this is one of, if not the most important things Sakurai has said indicating the possibility of third-party characters in Smash Bros.

The question is, what are the "major globally-recognized franchises" that are left? If I had to speculate, here's some I'd say:
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Persona
  • Cave Story (most likely indie choice imo)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Devil May Cry
  • Tales of
  • Tekken (previously considered)
  • Minecraft
  • DOOM (significant to gaming history)
  • Crash Bandicoot (if it's popular in Japan)
I'm likely missing a few here.

Halo and Dragon Quest come to mind, but lack popularity in certain regions (Japan for Halo, America/Europe for Dragon Quest). Mortal Kombat is a pipe dream at best as the Japanese dislike it's gory nature.

Banjo & Kazooie will be carried purely off of fan-demand alone and the fact that they're closer to Nintendo characters than other third parties, and Travis Touchdown will be carried by Suda51 and Sakurai being buddies.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I stopped watching that video the moment i saw that Kirby wasn't top tier

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I feel like I should explain to some of you younger guys just how big Duck Hunt is. Consider this chart:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Nintendo_games

Notice that Duck Hunt is 15th of all time for all Nintendo games with over 28m copies sold which if treated as a series instead of an individual game would be Nintendo's 12th most successful series in their history completely dwarfing such series as Metroid, Star Fox, and Fire Emblem. The only games above it are Mario games, the two most popular Pokemon generations (1st and 3rd), Tetris, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Sports Resort. Duck Hunt never got any substantial follow-up (there was a cheap Wiiware game I believe), but the game was without a doubt one of the most significant defining games of the NES era which was itself one of the highest profile eras in Nintendo's history (unlike other eras in which there were console wars, the NES era was just an era of unchecked Nintendo dominance). I think basically anyone who had access to an NES as a kid played Duck Hunt, and it really was quite a memorable experience since the light gun was a pretty cool gimmick (and it was a totally lost opportunity on Duck Hunt's final smash not to make it "holding the gun up to the screen" IMO).

In other words, from the perspective of sales performance, the hierarchy of characters who "deserved" to be in Smash 4 who were actually newcomers were Mii Fighters then Wii Fit Trainer then Duck Hunt and then after that everyone else was super minor by comparison. This is... not how most of the smash speculation scene looked at the newcomers, and I think it kinda shows how the Smash speculation scene is often a kinda unrealistic echo chamber. It also shows how actual popularity isn't an end all though; remember how Pit got in Brawl before Duck Hunt even though Kid Icarus is super small and obscure (doubly so remembering that Uprising hadn't happened yet back then) whereas Duck Hunt is, again, one of the most significant games in Nintendo's history?

For reference, the only two 10m+ Nintendo games that don't in some way have a playable character vaguely representing them in Smash now are Nintendogs and Brain Age. For Nintendogs we have an assist trophy and a stage whereas Brain Age is just an assist trophy, and both would be probably the two most awkward games to somehow make into characters. Ignoring those two and all things reasonably representable by Mii Fighters and shifting to series, the biggest profile next realistic inclusion would be an Excitebike character. Just keep that in mind since I've seen such a thing on literally zero speculation lists!

Graizen

Smash Champion
My friend said something i will share with you guys!

"Sakurai said this is the Ultimate Smash Brothers.
People need to understand the word "Ultimate"
we will get more characters, and alot of surprises
we will understand why this is called Ultimate"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So since it's kinda-sorta relevant, about a month ago I had my parents attempt to name the Smash characters pre-Smash Direct. Figured I'd post it here.

---------------------
It went about as well as you would expect. :p

Key:
[Character Name] = [Mom's Name for Character] | [Dad's Name for Character]

Mario = Mario | Mario
Donkey Kong = "Diddy Kong...wait, Donkey Kong" | Donkey Kong
Link = Marth | Swordfighter
Samus = Centaur | Robot Man
Kirby = "Balloon Nose...wait, Jigglypuff" | Marshmallow
Fox = Bandicoot | Foxy
Pikachu = Pikachu | Pikachu
Luigi = Luigi | Luigi
Ness = Little Boy | Baseball Boy
Jigglypuff = Jigglypuff | ...Ken (He couldn't remember it's name, but knew it was "the one that sings")
Captain Falcon = Captain America | Wonder Man
Bowser = Diddy Kong | Shell Man
Peach = Lucinda | Princess
Ice Climbers = ****** Kids | Twins
Zelda = Princess | Lucy
Sheik = Karate Hand | Karate Man
Marth = Knight | Prince
Falco = Eagle | Bird Man
Mewtwo = Mewtwo | "I know it, he's from Pokémon...the bad guy...(sigh) Grubbo." (He was upset he forgot Mewtwo's name lol)
Pichu = Pikachu | "Pikachu's brother, what was it...Pikapoo?"
Young Link = Robin Elf | Spock
Roy = Knight Sword | Guardian
Mr. Game & Watch = Mr. Number One | Mr. Magoo
Dr. Mario = Dr. Mario | Doc
Ganondorf = Demon | Big Guy
Meta Knight = Lead Head | Marty the Martian
Wario = Butt Chin | Slug
Zero Suit Samus = Big Shoes | Sexy (wow dad lol)
Pit = Angel Wings | Angel
Snake = Rambo | Tough Guy
Ike = Red Knight | Gallahad
Diddy Kong = Monkey Kong | Monkey Man
Lucas = Blond Neutron | Snake Boy
Pokémon Trainer = Brock and Friends | Ash and Charizard (RIP Squirtle and Ivysaur)
King Dedede = King Dedede | Penguin
Wolf = One-Eyed 'Coot | Wolfy
Olimar = Olivar | Sleepy
R.O.B. = I.M. Robot | Camera Man
Toon Link = Baby Robin | Baby Boy
Lucario = Black and Blue Dancing Dog | Sneaky
Sonic = SEGA | Sonic
Villager = Pyramid Nose | Nutsy
Mega Man = Baby Blue Machine | Robot Boy
Wii Fit Trainer = Thin Pale Woman | A Mom
Rosalina and Luma = Princess Star | Witch
Little Mac = Little Mac | Rocky
Greninja = Big Tongue | Beak
Mii Fighters = Teenage Warriors | The Three Stooges
Palutena = Green Queen | Queen
Pac-Man = Pac-Man | Pac-Man
Lucina = Grey Goose (Lucina confirmed to drink away her problems)| "Looks like that guy from earlier...it's a girl? She-Man, idk"
Robin = British Lightning | Z.Z.
Shulk = Broken Clothespin Warrior | Paperclip Man
Bowser Jr. = Diddy in a Cup | Hippo Man
Dark Pit = Fallen Angel | Wing Boy
Duck Hunt = Duck Bow | Dog and a Duck
Ryu = Ralph Macchio All Grown Up | Mr. Fuji
Cloud = Spike Head | Razor Blade Man
Corrin = The Flaming Pinkster | Fire Sword
Bayonetta = "[Disappointed Head Shake] ...Cool Boots" | Disco Lady
Inkling = Angry Geek Girl | Squeaky
Daisy = Mama Princess | ("Who the **** is this?") Ballerina
Ridley = Insector | Alien (He thought it was a Xenomorph, fittingly)

* For anyone wondering, my mom knew Marth, Little Mac, Dedede, and kinda-sorta Olimar due to asking me what amiibo I wanted as a gift a few years back. For whatever reason she remembered those names.
tl;dr: "Mom names everyone Diddy Kong except for Diddy Kong, Dad makes half the cast Robot Masters and complains that all the Fire Emblem characters look alike, and no one knows what the Monado is."

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Question for you guys.

Before Bayonetta being revealed (assuming she would still be Smash 4 DLC), probably not. I think people would assume Metal Gear was too mature of a game series, and Snake "wouldn't fit". After Bayo, I think Snake would still be highly requested. MGS is one of the most critically acclaimed game series of all time, so there would probably be loads of support/requests.

StormC

Smash Hero
Going back to this because I believe that this is one of, if not the most important things Sakurai has said indicating the possibility of third-party characters in Smash Bros.

The question is, what are the "major globally-recognized franchises" that are left? If I had to speculate, here's some I'd say:
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Persona
  • Cave Story (most likely indie choice imo)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Devil May Cry
  • Tales of
  • Tekken (previously considered)
  • Minecraft
  • DOOM (significant to gaming history)
  • Crash Bandicoot (if it's popular in Japan)
I'm likely missing a few here.

Halo and Dragon Quest come to mind, but lack popularity in certain regions (Japan for Halo, America/Europe for Dragon Quest). Mortal Kombat is a pipe dream at best as the Japanese dislike it's gory nature.

Banjo & Kazooie will be carried purely off of fan-demand alone and the fact that they're closer to Nintendo characters than other third parties, and Travis Touchdown will be carried by Suda51 and Sakurai being buddies.
Resident Evil is also high up there but I don’t know how Sakurai would implement an RE character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A character I'm honestly surprised Sakurai had never considered making playable is Meowth considering his popularity due to the anime. He just feels like he could had been part of the roster since Melee. He also feels he could had been part of the original 12 but do understand why Jigglypuff was chosen over him. She was rather popular at that time.

Too bad he's a Poke Ball again because he could had worked perfectly as Pikachu's rival/villain for the heroes vs. villains/rival theme seemingly going on so far.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Eh. About as requested as a Resident Evil character. People would be turned off by lack of a strong Nintendo connection and use of real guns.
real gun complaints? what year is it?

any character from RE4 has a strong nintendo connection and additionally is a capcoms 3rd biggest franchise with the other two (SF and MH) already recieving representation and megaman being present as well. leon, although not my favorite archetype of character, has merrits to be in. RE4 was huge. its still seen as most fans first or second favorite.

leon uses over the top wrestling moves and has a plethora of moves he could use.

StormC

Smash Hero
A character I'm honestly surprised Sakurai had never considered making playable is Meowth considering his popularity due to the anime. He just feels like he could had been part of the roster since Melee. He also feels he could had been part of the original 12 but do understand why Jigglypuff was chosen over him. She was rather popular at that time.

Too bad he's a Poke Ball again because he could had worked perfectly as Pikachu's rival/villain for the heroes vs. villains/rival theme seemingly going on so far.
She also had Kirby to reuse as a base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom