• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She also had Kirby to reuse as a base.
That too, another reason she was likely chosen.

There's Mewtwo too that could work as Pikachu's rival but we hadn't seen any artwork of that like Mario/Bowser, Donkey Kong/King K. Rool, Link/Ganondorf, Samus/Ridley, Kirby/Meta Knight and Fox/Wolf.

StormC

Smash Hero
real gun complaints? what year is it?

any character from RE4 has a strong nintendo connection and additionally is a capcoms 3rd biggest franchise with the other two (SF and MH) already recieving representation and megaman being present as well. leon, although not my favorite archetype of character, has merrits to be in. RE4 was huge. its still seen as most fans first or second favorite.

leon uses over the top wrestling moves and has a plethora of moves he could use.
I think you’re missing the context of my post entirely. I was comparing Snake’s theoretical amount of requests to an RE character if he wasn’t in. Never said no RE character should be in.

My point is people don’t think of these characters as being tied to Nintendo the same way they think of say, Mega Man.

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
So since it's kinda-sorta relevant, about a month ago I had my parents attempt to name the Smash characters pre-Smash Direct. Figured I'd post it here.

---------------------
It went about as well as you would expect. :p

Key:
[Character Name] = [Mom's Name for Character] | [Dad's Name for Character]

Mario = Mario | Mario
Donkey Kong = "Diddy Kong...wait, Donkey Kong" | Donkey Kong
Link = Marth | Swordfighter
Samus = Centaur | Robot Man
Kirby = "Balloon Nose...wait, Jigglypuff" | Marshmallow
Fox = Bandicoot | Foxy
Pikachu = Pikachu | Pikachu
Luigi = Luigi | Luigi
Ness = Little Boy | Baseball Boy
Jigglypuff = Jigglypuff | ...Ken (He couldn't remember it's name, but knew it was "the one that sings")
Captain Falcon = Captain America | Wonder Man
Bowser = Diddy Kong | Shell Man
Peach = Lucinda | Princess
Ice Climbers = ****** Kids | Twins
Zelda = Princess | Lucy
Sheik = Karate Hand | Karate Man
Marth = Knight | Prince
Falco = Eagle | Bird Man
Mewtwo = Mewtwo | "I know it, he's from Pokémon...the bad guy...(sigh) Grubbo." (He was upset he forgot Mewtwo's name lol)
Pichu = Pikachu | "Pikachu's brother, what was it...Pikapoo?"
Young Link = Robin Elf | Spock
Roy = Knight Sword | Guardian
Mr. Game & Watch = Mr. Number One | Mr. Magoo
Dr. Mario = Dr. Mario | Doc
Ganondorf = Demon | Big Guy
Meta Knight = Lead Head | Marty the Martian
Wario = Butt Chin | Slug
Zero Suit Samus = Big Shoes | Sexy (wow dad lol)
Pit = Angel Wings | Angel
Snake = Rambo | Tough Guy
Ike = Red Knight | Gallahad
Diddy Kong = Monkey Kong | Monkey Man
Lucas = Blond Neutron | Snake Boy
Pokémon Trainer = Brock and Friends | Ash and Charizard (RIP Squirtle and Ivysaur)
King Dedede = King Dedede | Penguin
Wolf = One-Eyed 'Coot | Wolfy
Olimar = Olivar | Sleepy
R.O.B. = I.M. Robot | Camera Man
Toon Link = Baby Robin | Baby Boy
Lucario = Black and Blue Dancing Dog | Sneaky
Sonic = SEGA | Sonic
Villager = Pyramid Nose | Nutsy
Mega Man = Baby Blue Machine | Robot Boy
Wii Fit Trainer = Thin Pale Woman | A Mom
Rosalina and Luma = Princess Star | Witch
Little Mac = Little Mac | Rocky
Greninja = Big Tongue | Beak
Mii Fighters = Teenage Warriors | The Three Stooges
Palutena = Green Queen | Queen
Pac-Man = Pac-Man | Pac-Man
Lucina = Grey Goose (Lucina confirmed to drink away her problems)| "Looks like that guy from earlier...it's a girl? She-Man, idk"
Robin = British Lightning | Z.Z.
Shulk = Broken Clothespin Warrior | Paperclip Man
Bowser Jr. = Diddy in a Cup | Hippo Man
Dark Pit = Fallen Angel | Wing Boy
Duck Hunt = Duck Bow | Dog and a Duck
Ryu = Ralph Macchio All Grown Up | Mr. Fuji
Cloud = Spike Head | Razor Blade Man
Corrin = The Flaming Pinkster | Fire Sword
Bayonetta = "[Disappointed Head Shake] ...Cool Boots" | Disco Lady
Inkling = Angry Geek Girl | Squeaky
Daisy = Mama Princess | ("Who the **** is this?") Ballerina
Ridley = Insector | Alien (He thought it was a Xenomorph, fittingly)

* For anyone wondering, my mom knew Marth, Little Mac, Dedede, and kinda-sorta Olimar due to asking me what amiibo I wanted as a gift a few years back. For whatever reason she remembered those names.
tl;dr: "Mom names everyone Diddy Kong except for Diddy Kong, Dad makes half the cast Robot Masters and complains that all the Fire Emblem characters look alike, and no one knows what the Monado is."
Jesus Christ, slug, grubbo, and mr magoo have me dying:joyful:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
tl;dr:

Supposedly reliable user on Twitter deconfirming Skull Kid as playable, says they're a boss.

The person supposedly has insider info, don't know much more.

Lolz.

Also, why even choose him as a boss? You never fight him. You may as well make General Scales a boss.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
tl;dr:

Supposedly reliable user on Twitter deconfirming Skull Kid as playable, says they're a boss.

Looking at the comments, seems they've got an awful track record.

Lolz.

Also, why even choose him as a boss? You never fight him. You may as well make General Scales a boss.
Majora Skull Kid, most likely.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
tl;dr:

Yeah, it's been covered. I think KMDP KMDP had a pretty good summary of why its not compelling, if you wanna glance in his post history.

Sorry if I'm remembering wrong and it wasn't you KMDP

edit: nvm, I think I'm blending together two leaks in my mind because both said Skull Kid is definitely not playable. I don't see much reason to believe either.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Banjo-Kazooie moveset you ask?
No, you didn’t. So, let’s jump right in.

Run animation: During Banjo’s run of average speed, Kazooie seemlessly takes over with a burst of speed. This will change the power and orientation of their dash attack: Forward Roll, which would become Backward Roll.
Jumps: Banjo and Kazooie could have multiple jumps. My feelings guide me to 3-4 jumps. One from the ground and 2-3 flaps of Kazooie’s wings.

Moveset

Jab: Claw swipes. Something Banjo does other than carry the real hero of the story around.

Dash attack: Forward roll. Donkey Kong has seen better, but he acknowledges the skillz
When Kazooie takes over, Banjo is on his back, facing backwards, so they will roll backwards, leaving Banjo standing the opposite direction, possibly setting up for a Back Air.

Forward Tilt: Banjo whips has backpack out front like it’s a flail, angering Kazooie, Who was pretty sure he was supposed to wait til she wasn’t in it anymore.

Up Tilt: Kazooie emerges from the backpack swiping from front to back with a wing.

Down tilt: Kazooie(as usual) springs forward and downward to peck at her favorite meal. Toes.

Forward Smash: Beak Barge! During start up frames Banjo readies himself for a shoulder check maneuver. As the attack initiates, Banjo leans in and pushes forward as Kazooie extends a powerful, boulder-shattering beak forwards.

Up Smash: Banjo arches a shoulder upward as Kazooie launches his head upward from the backpack for the first hit, rapidly retracting himself while spitting up a short range grenade egg upwards that connects with the opponent before exploding, which is where all the knockback of the attack comes from. Missing with the egg grenade will cause it to linger at it’s peak for only a brief moment before exploding anyways.

Down Smash: Banjo leans down swinging both arms out to each side with a short range, low damage and slight knockback, Kazooie emerging immediately afterward to show Banjo exactly how the pros flap downward, having more range and much greater power from this second hit.

Neutral Air: Banjo whips his backpack around his body.

Forward Air: Rat-a-tat Rap! Kazooie pops out of the pack for three beak attacks in quick succession.

Up Air: Banjo swings his backpack upward for the first hit, while Kazooie erupts a beak upward for the second.

Back Air: Kazooie uses her own legs to deliver a powerful drop kick from Banjo’s back.

Down Air: Beak Buster! Banjo executes a midair flip only halfway as to remain upside down as Kazooie extends her beak downward, rapidly descending for a powerful falling blow.

Grab: Banjo simply reaches out with an underhanded grip. Kazooie holds her head out of the pack, ready to bring the pain.

Pummel: Kazooie beaks at that noggin.

Forward Throw: Banjo tosses the opponent out and up as Kazooie launches two eggs to catch the opponent mid-flight.

Back Throw: Kazooie nabs the opponent out of Banjo’s hands(which he hates) and tosses the opponent backwards by rearing her head back.

Down Throw: Banjo slams the opponent flat on the ground as he uses his other hand to brag Kazooie by her throat to club his probe opponent, bouncing them off the floor.

Up Throw: Kazooie extends her feet from the backpack, lifting both an unsuspecting Banjo and the opponent up before bucking Banjo’s head upwards into the opponent.

Specials!

Neutral: Egg Shot! This move works in two ways.
1. Tapping the special button results in Kazooie shooting eggs horizontally forward. The projectiles are medium speed and somewhat weak.
2. Holding the button will allow you to use the analog stick to choose a direction, angle and type of attack! Forward or diagonally forward will shoot eggs as the first way does, except they can be angled up or down.
Holding the stick backwards will cause the eggs to come out of...the other end, bouncing three times before breaking.

NOTE: Other types of eggs will be used at random, including: Grenade Eggs, Ice eggs, Fire eggs. One type of egg, the Clockwork Kazooie egg, can only appear from the rear shot, it hatches and then walks around similar to a mechakoopa.

Up Special: Flight! Kazooie begins flapping her wings as feathers fall from her(much like in the original games). Kazooie will be able to maneuver Banjo much in the way ROB can maneuver with his thrusters. After a certain number of feathers fall from Kazooie, she will become exhausted and Banjo will be unable to use any aerials involving Kazooie until they land.

Down Special: Wonderwing! Kazooie will shield Banjo with Golden wings, providing super armor and causing mild damage and knockback during motion. Using any other attack, grabbing or jumping will end the Wonderwing special. Each use immediately consumes a golden feather. Kazooie only has 3 Golden feathers to use per stock so use them wisely!

Forward Special: Breegul Bayonnet! Banjo underhandedly grabs Kazooie from the bottom of the pack and thrusts her forward like a spear! Holding the special button will cause Kazooie to spit up an egg at the end of the attack.[SPOILER/]

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Going back to this because I believe that this is one of, if not the most important things Sakurai has said indicating the possibility of third-party characters in Smash Bros.

The question is, what are the "major globally-recognized franchises" that are left? If I had to speculate, here's some I'd say:
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Persona
  • Cave Story (most likely indie choice imo)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Devil May Cry
  • Tales of
  • Tekken (previously considered)
  • Minecraft
  • DOOM (significant to gaming history)
  • Crash Bandicoot (if it's popular in Japan)
I'm likely missing a few here.
your missing Resident Evil.
probably Soulcalibur

Shroob

Sup?
Lolz.

I could honestly see a scenario akin to Brinstar in Melee's adventure mode.

Not a 'boss', per se, but you have to get a single hit in in an alloted time limit while climbing up to him.

Regardless, I do agree with the video's viewpoints.

Skull Kid was popular, but the only reason he skyrocketed in popularity is due to Loz18, who he himself has been shown to have an awful track record post E3; same reason why characters like Isabelle and Incineroar jumped in popularity with Vergeben.

The way I'm taking this round of speculation is to not get hyped at all, because I, just like everyone else, have no idea who's going to be in this game, so assuming characters are 'locks' due to what shakily credible leakers say is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
A character I'm honestly surprised Sakurai had never considered making playable is Meowth considering his popularity due to the anime. He just feels like he could had been part of the roster since Melee. He also feels he could had been part of the original 12 but do understand why Jigglypuff was chosen over him. She was rather popular at that time.

Too bad he's a Poke Ball again because he could had worked perfectly as Pikachu's rival/villain for the heroes vs. villains/rival theme seemingly going on so far.
It's a very tricky situation, Pokemon fighters in Smash, because most of the iconic Pokemon personalities are from Gen 1 (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo). Personality and character are usually what I consider when I suggest Smash fighters, but because the lists have a lot of those Pokemon on them it's really easy to get labeled as a genwunner. Despite this, Kanto's probably my second least favorite region, and I prefer Pokemon designs from most other generations over first, but that personality that actually makes me want to play as a standalone Pokemon draws me back to the origin.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure if bosses are going to be a Classic Mode thing, but here are some ideas.

• Mecha Bowser
  • Necky
  • Raphael The Raven
  • Dynablade
  • Zygarde
  • Giygas
  • Medusa
  • Titan Dweevil
  • Metal Face
  • Dj Octavia
  • Psychomantis
  • Metal Sonic
  • Yellow Devil
  • Valor

KMDP

Smash Legend
I doubt my parents would know :ultsonic:

Actually, this might be a fun game. Who do you think your parents would know in Smash?

My guesses:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:(me and my siblings were obsessed with DKC):ultduckhunt::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultwiifittrainer:
Hmm...

My mum would know...
:ultmario:(:ultdoc:):ultluigi::ultwario::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultsonic:, and maybe :ultkirby::ultpeach::ultdiddy:
My dad would know the former ones.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
  • Crash Bandicoot (if it's popular in Japan).
The series has some historical significance there. The second game was the first western game to sell one million copies in Japan.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I could honestly see a scenario akin to Brinstar in Melee's adventure mode.

Not a 'boss', per se, but you have to get a single hit in in an alloted time limit while climbing up to him.

Regardless, I do agree with the video's viewpoints.

Skull Kid was popular, but the only reason he skyrocketed in popularity is due to Loz18, who he himself has been shown to have an awful track record post E3; same reason why characters like Isabelle and Incineroar jumped in popularity with Vergeben.

The way I'm taking this round of speculation is to not get hyped at all, because I, just like everyone else, have no idea who's going to be in this game, so assuming characters are 'locks' due to what shakily credible leakers say is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Skull Kid's popularity has nothing to do with leaks. He's one of the most iconic video game antagonists of all time and has been highly requested since Melee.

Nobody on this website, including me, believes any of those stupid "leaks".

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Inb4 Skull Kid is shown playable in the next direct so their credible gets even worse than it already is

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Skull Kid's popularity has nothing to do with leaks. He's one of the most iconic video game antagonists of all time and has been highly requested since Melee.

Nobody on this website, including me, believes any of those stupid leaks.
That's a very general speak there.
NO ONE believes any of those stupid leaks?
If you mean Vergeben's, then you're in for a shock.

Shroob

Sup?

Nobody on this website, including me, believes any of those stupid leaks.
Oof, this is some denial if I've ever seen it.

domriver

Smash Lord
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Bayonetta is also probably more of a Nintendo character in the eyes of a lot of people nowadays, but that's just my own speculation.
With good reason though. Nintendo saved the Bayonetta series. Hopefully in Ultimate we can see Bayonetta interact with Mario in a cutscene or something. lol The E10 rating kinda ticks me off because I want Bayonetta to seduce mario in front of Peach just for kicks. lol.

StormC

Smash Hero

Let's not go crazy here.

blazefan519

Smash Ace

The most iconic? Ehhhh, I'd say that's pushing it. If someone (like myself), who isn't all that familiar with Zelda happened to come across an image of Skull Kid, I doubt they'd be able to recognize where he's from. Ganon's probably way more recognizable to non-zelda fans.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Skull Kid's popularity has nothing to do with leaks. He's one of the most iconic video game antagonists of all time
Oh no no no no look at this dude
He's alright, but not even the best boss in the entire Zelda franchise, let alone an icon.
Mike Tyson, Zephirot, Bowser, Ganondorf, Eggman, they all would like to have a talk with you.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You're crazy if you think he's not.
Up until 5 or 6 years ago, Majora's Mask was a cult following game, at best. It's why it was always referred to as the "Black Sheep" of the Zelda series.

Skull Kid is not iconic.

Majora's Mask is iconic.

I bet a LOT of people who know what the character looks like but aren't familiar with the game don't even realize Majora's Mask isn't his real face.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
You've gone crazy if you think he's not. Completely devoid from video game culture.
Majora's Mask sold less than 4 million copies and you think a villain who you don't even fight in a boss battle is one of the most iconic video game villains of all time?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Inb4 Skull Kid is shown playable in the next direct so their credible gets even worse than it already is
inb4 ♡, ♪, !, and ? are wall decorations scattered throughout the room in the next direct

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

The majora's mask itself is very iconic item, skull kid himself isn't really. And highly requested sounds like a reach, he's pretty popular as far as Zelda characters go but in general he's not that big, you rarely see him place particularly highly in fan polls or anything

Skull kid doesn't come anywhere close to Bowser, Ganondorf, Dr. Eggman, dr. wily, big boss, dracula, sephiroth and many others

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I'll be honest and say that when I was younger and I first got around to playing Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3ds (my first Zelda game), I thought Skull Kid's name was Majora kek

Shroob

Sup?

But you're also one of the people who threw an almighty tantrum when people pissed on the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak, and your reasoning for believing it as true was because you WANTED it to be true.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You've gone crazy if you think he's not. Completely devoid from video game culture.
I'd say he's popular within the Zelda bubble.
To the casual fan? Unlikely. Maybe the moon itself, but Skull Kid himself is difficult to place, especially when Ganon/GDorf cannibalizes a lot of the popularity.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The most iconic? Ehhhh, I'd say that's pushing it. If someone (like myself), who isn't all that familiar with Zelda happened to come across an image of Skull Kid, I doubt they'd be able to recognize where he's from.
You're basically describing someone who's never been on the internet or gone clothes shopping if you haven't seen Majora's Mask or Skull Kid wearing him at least once.

If you play video games. Like video games that aren't sports and first person shooters. 99% You've seen Majora's Mask, Skull Kid, or The Moon on one or more occasions. If you're even REMOTELY familiar with Zelda, you're familiar with one of those characters.

Please don't make me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom