• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think if Square Enix does get an echo it should be Zack (of Cloud).
That's what I'm hoping for, Zack is my fav. FF guy.

I'm hoping all 3rd Parties get 2 unique, 1 echo, like this..

Sonic
Bayonetta
Shadow (Sonic Echo)

Snake
Simon
Richter (Simon Echo)

Mega Man
Ryu
Ken (Ryu Echo)

Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man Echo)
Lloyd Irving

Cloud Strife
Zack Fair (Cloud Echo)
Geno

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not even part of the CV community but just seeing the non-existing talk of Lords of Shadows tells me it doesn't actually exist.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I heard something about the "image leaker" going to post gameplay? I assume it's nonsense?

TotalGoner

Smash Rookie
Pit, Ice Climbers and Little Mac are owned by Nintendo, they can put whoever they want, it's their game.
Megaman 11 is releasing pretty soon, so your "he's not relevant either" doesn't apply.
I could be wrong, but it's coming out in 2018, around 4 to 5 years after he joined smash if we count pre launch trailers. This could just be the smash bump in effect. Regardless, mega Man hasn't had a critically acclaimed game since the legends games well over a decade ago. I'd call that pretty irrelevant in the modern day.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Considering there's not even any Lords of Shadow content in Ultimate and it is considered non canon, you could say Castlevania is even more dormant than that.
Is it still a Castlevania game?
Yes? Then it ain't dead.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Nintendo owns their take on the Tetris Music but the Tetris company owns all the rest of the stuff.

Like how Nintnedo can use Dr. Wright but can't have a Sim City stage
If he was playable, I'd be fine with him having no stage, but some music.
The only real dead series is :ultness::ultlucas: because Itoi himself said the series was over.
It's so dead that the fan-made sequel under production will change their name for their project (if the staff doesn't implode, that is).

So what happened in the last... oh, 20 or so pages
Everyone, except for me, ignored Peach being the character of the day.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I'm not even part of the CV community but just seeing the non-existing talk of Lords of Shadows tells me it doesn't actually exist.
Lords Of Shadow is kinda a reboot/AU type deal. Very hard to reconcile some of the details of that continuity with the classic continuity. We might get some trophies but I doubt it.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
How many years has to pass before an IP is considered "dead" or "dormant"?
Legally speaking, I suppose an IP is dead when the trademark expires. I’d argue a game IP is dormant if the trademark is held by the same company for more than two console generations with no independent game release. Cameos don’t count.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kiddy Kong? Wow that's probably one of the few characters people are a-okay with forgetting.

But When's Dixie tho?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
We do mostly like to pretend it doesn't exist.

They aren't even nessicarily bad games per se, but the first game is not so affectionately called "Lords of Plagiarism" for a reason. And it's really just not what fans- or even the gaming community, as time showed- was really looking for in a Castlevania game.

It's like that edgy reboot they tried to do for Bomberman. Only it stuck around for too long.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
We've been talking about this one fake leak for more than 12 hours.
I'm not trying to direct the conversation or anything, I just thought that was funny.
Well now that the ESRB rating came out the literal day after, you have to admit that this is hilarious

Retro18

Smash Rookie
EarthBound = 1994
F-Zero X = 1998
Smash 64 = 1999

Game & Watch Gallery 3 = 1999
Melee = 2001

Wii Fit = 2007
Wii Fit Plus = 2009
Wii Fit U = 2013
Smash 4 = 2014

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow = 2010
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate = 2013
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 = 2014
Ultimate = 2018

How many years has to pass before an IP is considered "dead" or "dormant"?
Well you have me on Falcon, Ness and WFT. I didn't even know game and watch collection was even a thing. And after Lords of Shadows I'm surprised the series isn't dead. The point still stands for Duck Hunt, Pit, ROB, IC, and Mac

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Castlevania Has an Ongoing animated series and an upcoming mobile game.
it might not be in the best state, but calling it dead seems wrong.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
While I doubt anyone really cares about Kiddy Kong, a harmless way to include him in Smash is to make him part of Dixie Kong's Final Smash, using one of their combination attacks from DKC3.

Like what initially happened to Chrom in Smash 4 with Robin but with someone people don't care about as opposed to someone people DO care about.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
People really need to learn what a "dormant/dead franchise" is because it isn't Castlevania and it wasn't Mega Man when he got added.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Shadow and Akuma are both really popular dark/evil counterparts of the main char that work as gameplay clones. Your different era argument is incredibly arbitrary, especially since Shadow is like twice the age of Juri. Also I only know who Juri is because I have some fighting game interest, but it's almost impossible to not know about Shadow (partially because of memes). Juri is nowhere near Shadow so insisting on that comparission being appropriate makes it seem like you just want to discredit him.
I'm not trying to discredit the character, I honestly don't see where you're coming from with that.
If you want to talk about actual characters, Metal Sonic is a more fitting equation to Akuma, given they're both evil incarnations of the base character and have mostly the same abilities.
While Shadow is more of a rival given character development in a few others. SA2 is the only one I can think of where he's a true villain, but even then he helps Sonic at the end of it all. Then again, I'm sure there's some incarnations where this isn't true, so who knows.
The conversation sparked with Shadow supposedly being more iconic than Tails, given all the fanfare with him in the Sonic community. I disagreed with this by using SF as a comparison, using two characters with similar roles and placement in their history with popularity as an argument.
Also apart of my argument was that Tails is a gameplay clone of Sonic in the classic games outside of flying, which would work for an Up-B switch like many were suggesting for Shadow.
But even if you use Akuma instead of Juri, Ken would still be more iconic in terms of status, given he isn't the P2 character and came in a later iteration of SF II as a playable fighter.
All I'm saying is popularity doesn't equate to how iconic they are.
Tails is Sonic's partner and player 2 character and is ingrained in pop culture and the series as opposed to Shadow, despite him being a fan favorite character and is considered vastly popular compared to Tails.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I didn't. In fact, I was the FIRST person to mention it!!!
Well, I figured I'd be beaten to the punch, but it's good to hear this.

We do mostly like to pretend it doesn't exist.

They aren't even nessicarily bad games per se, but the first game is not so affectionately called "Lords of Plagiarism" for a reason. And it's really just not what fans- or even the gaming community, as time showed- was really looking for in a Castlevania game.

It's like that edgy reboot they tried to do for Bomberman. Only it stuck around for too long.
Also, the sequel's staff was basically having a civil war. Under Nintendo, MercurySteam's possibly getting a better reputation thanks to Samus Returns.

While I doubt anyone really cares about Kiddy Kong, a harmless way to include him in Smash is to make him part of Dixie Kong's Final Smash, using one of their combination attacks from DKC3.

Like what initially happened to Chrom in Smash 4 with Robin but with someone people don't care about as opposed to someone people DO care about.
Seems fair, I'd much rather see his big brother get more screentime as possible if he ever shows up at all.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Castlevania Has an Ongoing animated series and an upcoming mobile game.
it might not be in the best state, but calling it dead seems wrong.
It was rightfully considered dead a lot beforehand, but yeah.

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
Any links or images you can show right now?

This was discussed a lot, but it's basically confirmed fake now. The leaker wants to make a video though, so that'll be fun.

Edit: It started like ESBR leak, just with some cropped out faces and later this full picture came out. There were also faces of Isaac, Isabelle, Skull kid and a "?" on the picture, too. But they misspelled Agnes here and the models are wayy too low quality to be real.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Considering there's not even any Lords of Shadow content in Ultimate and it is considered non canon, you could say Castlevania is even more dormant than that.
The cross guard on the vampire killer resembles the combat cross from Lords of Shadow.

Regardless, it seems like such a technicality to distinguish between classic Castlevania and the reboot series.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I think this conversation is fading, but I took the time to read through it all so I feel like dropping in for a few words:

Bravely Default is a noteworthy series, but unless you were big into the game, I don't see how you'd know who Agnes is. She's a fairly standard "anime woman #5" design, and if you just showed people art of her on her own I'm not sure they'd be able to tell you where she was from (or even that it was a game necessarily). So even though I remember seeing ads for BD when it was coming out, from what I can see, there's nothing about the character that instantly jumps out for the average person.

Contrast that to Banjo, who is a fairly recognizable game/design. Even if you are too young to have played the games, people in the gaming community talk all the time about Rare and how they have unused IPs that they miss, and Yooka-Laylee's success is a pretty clear indicator that lots of people at least remember the character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Castlevania animated series is really good and the trailer for the second season makes it seem that it'll be longer than the first(I'd say at least 8 episodes maybe). Dunno if they're making up OCs or making humanoid versions of Dracula's generals(where is Death at tho?)

KMDP

Smash Legend
I love Samus's new design but if people can complain about Snake's *** a million times, I don't know why doing same about her is bad.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The talk of Chrom makes me think.

View attachment 160661

If someone had shown you this image from the official website before Chrom was confirmed, would you have believed it?
Um... Yeah, probably. :laugh:
I just want to say that Over9000BPM Over9000BPM can say whatever he/she wants lol.
It's his/her problem if he/she doesn't like ZSS's new model and wants to talk about it, if you don't like that you can just ignore those kind of posts.

I don't see people complaining about the spam Zinith makes about Yoshi everyday or even my Bandana Dee spam, in fact, I get like 20 likes for it for no reason lol, so yeah, don't be rude.

By the way, Bandana Dee for Smash.
Bandana Dee riding Boshi for Smash.

Bandana Dee is also wearing shades.
The main issue is that Merric doesn't use swords, so he wouldn't really work at all as an echo. He's a purely magical character.

In a perfect (for me, anyway :p) world where Merric got into Smash, he'd likely have a set built around his legendary wind tome, Excalibur. His moves using the tome would do much more damage to airborne foes, just like in the main series, making him a potent anti-air focused character. However, he'd be prone to ambush, being fairly light and easy to knock away if the foe manages to get close, since he's canonically frail and fragile.

It's weird, too. Merric has pretty good credentials in a vacuum, but due to the nature of Fire Emblem's cast being ever-changing, he's a no-hoper.

+ He has a playstyle filled with untapped potential as a decidedly anti-air magical wizard.
+ He's the childhood best friend of Marth, the face of the franchise.
+ His design inspired lots of other Fire Emblem Mage units, becoming an archetype in the process. He was the first playable Mage.
+ Has a signature weapon to set himself apart from other units.
+ He's visually distinct from the currently-playable Fire Emblem cast.
+ He's also voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, Marth's voice actor, lowering the cost of another VA.
+ Due to becoming Marth's brother-in-law, he's related to three of the current playable Fire Emblem characters (four depending on who Robin marries, five if Corrin marries Odin).

- He's relatively minor in the grand scheme of Fire Emblem.

It just goes to show how specific series' barriers for entry are taller than others. If Merric had these credentials in any other non-Pokémon franchise, he'd have been in the game already. :p
At least Merric is somewhat important in the game he comes from. *cough*Charlotte*cough*...
This is Celica, she's one of the two main characters in Fire Emblem Gaiden on the Famicom and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Gaiden's remake, on the 3DS.
She could work as a Robin echo insanely well, like Robin, she uses swords and spells. However, she only uses Tomes in Heroes, in Gaiden & Echoes spells cost users HP, so a difference could be Celica having a Pichu-like damage mechanic for spells (maybe balance it with better Nosferatu use, which iirc Celica can use in Echoes).
Yes to Celica.
Ken has the right shape, has long blond hair, and is heavily expected to be in..not hard to guess at him. No one is expecting Agnès and there are a lot of brunettes in anime style games..remember some people thought she was Tifa too.

Sora has very iconic hair, like Cloud, you'd have to really mess up for him to not be recognized.
Tifa has pretty unique hair herself (not nearly as... unique as Cloud or Sora), it is at least consistent across all her appearances using the FF7 design. Agnes' bangs look nothing like Tifa's.
Who would be the rep? The grim reaper?
The new Sims rep is "Sim", they fight for themselves unless you specifically tell them to do something. And even if you do, they take a while to perform the action.

They also can't work out how to get out of water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom