• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
probably a webm on 4chan or a youtube video
To add to this, don't be the first one to watch it. Let's say there IS a video; it could be -

-Liveleak footage of terrible things

-Gross-out stuff

-Lewds (okay this is fine but you're at a 25% of it being this and this is 4chan)

It could also be this

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Now that you mention it, I find it incredibly surprising that Tetris is not represented in Smash in some relevant role other than just a trophy, and I'm not even sure if it had a trophy. An AT or a stage could work really good.
There's never been a Tetris trophy, only music.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To add to this, don't be the first one to watch it. Let's say there IS a video; it could be -

-Gross-out stuff

-Lewds (okay this is fine but you're at a 25% of it being this and this is 4chan)

It could also be this

This is good advice to follow everyone. 4chan is known to do stuff like this, so be sure to use caution when on the /v/ boards.

D

Deleted member

-Gross-out stuff

It could also be this

Oh ****, those walking animations are unique leak's real!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Nintendo owns their take on the Tetris Music but the Tetris company owns all the rest of the stuff.

Like how Nintnedo can use Dr. Wright but can't have a Sim City stage

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Now that you mention it, I find it incredibly surprising that Tetris is not represented in Smash in some relevant role other than just a trophy, and I'm not even sure if it had a trophy. An AT or a stage could work really good.
Puzzle games in general have pretty barebones representation in Smash. We're now 5 Smash games in (6 if you separate the 3DS and Wii U versions) and Tetris still barely got anything outside of two songs in Brawl. You would think it would have gotten a stage or assist trophy by now...

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think Nintendo owns their take on the Tetris Music but the Tetris company owns all the rest of the stuff.

Like how Nintnedo can use Dr. Wright but can't have a Sim City stage
The Tetris A theme as far as I'm aware, is public domain. New recordings can be copyrighted though, so you can't just take the remix from Smash freely.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
BTW, where's The Sims rep? It's one of the biggest franchises in the world and it's been on many Nintendo consoles.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Back when I was a little kid and had my first experience with Brawl, I didn't know who most of the characters were. I was a pokemon-obsessed kid who played nothing else. I didn't even own a Wii - it wasn't my own copy of Brawl that I was playing.

But you know what? I learned to appreciate a lot of those characters anyway.
:metaknight::dedede::wolf::diddy::olimar::ike::rob::fox::falcon::link2::sheik::pit::samus2::marth:
There characters, despite me having no prior experience with them, are all ones I remembered for years to come. There are some characters here that I would have inevitably become a fan of without Smash Bros introducing me to them (Link, Meta Knight and DDD, Marth and Ike). Some of these characters I ended up playing their games because of Smash Bros exposure (Olimar, Diddy Kong, Fox and Wolf, Samus, Pit). And then there's characters who I don't even care for their source games but still appreciate in Smash Bros (ROB, Captain Falcon). But the point is I was still able to enjoy them all even without knowing who they were because I could find something to appreciate about their inclusion, and those characters all stuck with me.

This is why it boggles my mind when people get so angry that a character they didn't ask for makes it in. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be happening much this time around now yet, but I know it's going to happen with one reveal eventually. But you don't have to know a character to appreciate them in Smash Brothers. Even when 4 came around, I wasn't familiar with Mega Man, Bowser Jr, or Monado Boy but I still enjoyed playing as all of them because they each brought something with them. And I know I'm going to enjoy playing as the Belmonts because they seem to have a really unique playstyle.

If you don't know a character who makes it into the roster, give them a chance. They might be someone you didn't even know you were a fan of. I don't particularly want Geno, Banjo or Isaac, but if by some miracle they all made it in, I'll definitely give them all a try.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
This is good advice to follow everyone. 4chan is known to do stuff like this, so be sure to use caution when on the /v/ boards.
GameFAQs has done this too. 11 years ago in the pre-Brawl era there was a guy who claimed to have footage of Ganondorf when in actuality it was a shock video. Police were contacted over it

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

-Gross-out stuff

It could also be this

Dude where the hell did you get that?

The ninjas will get you

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Imagine thinking an IP has to be alive to be in smash *cough* :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultduckhunt::ultfalcon::ultpit::ultness::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer: *cough*
Wii Fit U is a thing, F-Zero was certainly still alive for 64 and Melee and EarthBound 64 was going to be a thing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still mad about F-Zero not getting games because Miyamoto wants to implement gimmicks on it. That's not even the point of the games.

If they wanted a gimmick it'd be some open-world thing with Falcon and a handful of other changeable characters but letting you be able to choose whomever you want for the actual F-Zero races. I just wonder if they're gonna create an entirely new timeline again or go off of Ryu being Falcon still.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
It depends on the current cycle of speculation.

Oh, we've been getting off the wall characters? Where's the highly requested ones? SO MAD SAKURAIIII.

Oh, we're getting all the fan favorites? WHERE'S THE ODDBALL PICKS SO BORING SAKURAIIII.
I think it's just different opinions.
Personally, I really, really prefer off the wall/Sakurai picks. If you ask me, this batch of newcomers has been pretty meh, with Simon, Ritcher and Chrom being the only ones that interest me, and Simon/Ritcher aren't even my top Castlevania pick.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Tetris A theme as far as I'm aware, is public domain. New recordings can be copyrighted though, so you can't just take the remix from Smash freely.
Speaking of Russian Folk music, I wonder if Soda Popinski's theme aka the song of the Vologa boatmen will make it in.

D

Deleted member

Video, eh?

Be right back. Popping popcorn. Anybody want some?
I do, and a link, fam.

I'm still mad about F-Zero not getting games because Miyamoto wants to implement gimmicks on it. That's not even the point of the games.

If they wanted a gimmick it'd be some open-world thing with Falcon and a handful of other changeable characters but letting you be able to choose whomever you want for the actual F-Zero races. I just wonder if they're gonna create an entirely new timeline again or go off of Ryu being Falcon still.
THAT'S OUR MIYAMOTO! Good ol' Shigeru "Paper Mario Deserves to be 6-Feet Under" Miyamoto.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what happened in the last... oh, 20 or so pages
Well despite being an idiot who doesn't know how accented letters work, this leak guy is still pushing it and there's apparently a video coming.
Twenty Frog coins say it's a Smash 4 mod.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Imagine thinking an IP has to be alive to be in smash *cough* :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultduckhunt::ultfalcon::ultpit::ultness::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer: *cough*
EarthBound = 1994
F-Zero X = 1998
Smash 64 = 1999

Game & Watch Gallery 3 = 1999
Melee = 2001

Wii Fit = 2007
Wii Fit Plus = 2009
Wii Fit U = 2013
Smash 4 = 2014

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow = 2010
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate = 2013
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 = 2014
Ultimate = 2018

How many years has to pass before an IP is considered "dead" or "dormant"?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
An F-Zero that was basically the Speed Racer movie with a story in between races could be fun. That Speed Racer movie was very video game-y.

Just have missions on foot between races as you try to get down to corruption within the ranks. It'd also be fairly original that way.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Well obviously Sonic is more popular than any of his affiliated characters. I'm saying that Juri is a better comparison as they're from different eras of Sonic, like the two are from different eras of SF.
Shadow is more popular, while Tails is more iconic and has seniority. Same with Ken and Juri.

Oh, trust me. I'm a big fan of SF and also a Juri main.
I'm definitely not ignorant to why she's so popular. But I'm using the two to show that just because one is arguably more popular than one character, doesn't mean they hold the same status as the other.
Shadow and Akuma are both really popular dark/evil counterparts of the main char that work as gameplay clones. Your different era argument is incredibly arbitrary, especially since Shadow is like twice the age of Juri. Also I only know who Juri is because I have some fighting game interest, but it's almost impossible to not know about Shadow (partially because of memes). Juri is nowhere near Shadow so insisting on that comparission being appropriate makes it seem like you just want to discredit him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been away for a while, so I second this.

Anything happened with the guy that apparently had the demo?
Was fraud just passing off pictures of a demo booth at an event as his work.
Hence being so selective with the proof requests.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Could also include Simon and Richter in that if we count Mega Man, it's been longer since Castlevania got a game than it was in between Mega Man 10 and his Smash reveal.
Last time I said that Castlevania is a dead franchise I got yelled at.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So what happened in the last... oh, 20 or so pages
Fake leak fell apart due to localization changes to series names, misplaced accents, and terrible renders. Video to follow.
Millennials vs Gen Z Round 5 with Banjo-Kazooie vs Bravely Default.
Instructions of proper safety precautions when visiting 4chan.
Tetris gets a character.
And Merric.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
New rating confuses me. Smash 4 included all character trailers ingame so it stands to reason that Ultimate will. But some of the trailers so far were seriously bordering on T rating, you know the ones. Hmm.. (bit off topic) i did hear the esrb don't actually see everything once: there was a comment from a guy who worked at 5th cell on reddit and he said that the ESRB didn't see the ending of the second Drawn to Life game and once they did they had it changed and rerate. It was a dark ending. I'm definitely wondering about these videos... or do they just not consider Mario ****ing dying T rated?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
EarthBound = 1994
F-Zero X = 1998
Smash 64 = 1999

Game & Watch Gallery 3 = 1999
Melee = 2001

Wii Fit = 2007
Wii Fit Plus = 2009
Wii Fit U = 2013
Smash 4 = 2014

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow = 2010
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate = 2013
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 = 2014
Ultimate = 2018

How many years has to pass before an IP is considered "dead" or "dormant"?
Considering there's not even any Lords of Shadow content in Ultimate and it is considered non canon, you could say Castlevania is even more dormant than that.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, the Agnés leaker was clearly talking out of his ass. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom