• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
"Do you want the respectable realistic proportions alt or the big ***** bounty hunter gf alt?"
Concept: the alt reintroduces tripping as her back just can't support her so she's constantly falling.

I'm really hoping that's not what you mean by the alt you want, Over9000BPM. Not to be rude. But it's...it's kind of...uhh....

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Super Paper Mario.

Edit: Ranking is
SPM 4.23 Million
SS 2.24 Million
TTYD 1.91 Million
PM 1.37 Million
CS No idea beyond well below a million.

First 4 are as of December 2014, so it's possible that Sticker Star has shipped a tiny bit more since then.
In all fairness, the sales figures can be chalked up to the sales of the console, since the Wii and 3DS are the higher selling systems of the lot. But still.
It sank in long ago.
Beyond my, I'm sure, hypocritical bias, the stickers would make an awesome addition to PM's moveset. Which is why I wouldn't mind it at all. After all, it's still a PM game, and sold damn well too, alongside being very creative.
And you're welcome to that opinion. I don't share it.

All I'm saying is that's the reason Paper Mario's popularity/support has waned for me and many, many others.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
That's because is that kirby is pretty casual + bigger in japan, that unless your actively part of the Kirby you pretty much don't hear about kirby stuff at all.
I thought the term casual meant "commonly known and popular among even those that aren't hardcore into games."

If only Smash/Kirby fans really know about Bandanna Dee wouldn't that make him a niece pick not a casual pick?

I kinda held this opinion about Ashley too, as beyond Smash Speculation I NEVER heard about her.

I understand if both are also seen as Japanese picks since like you say they're popular there, but not casual picks.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Why does everyone hate sticker star so much, still a decent game right? (although very different from the first paper mario's?)
Bandwagon. It's a pretty decent and fun game. Sometimes it's a bit uninspired and unpolished, but it's not atrocious. And then they polished it more and made Color Splash which is honestly one of my favorite Wii U games.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I want both. Everyone is happy!
It would literally be “Do you want big tit Zamus or small tit zamus?” And people would switch them back and forth to hilarious effect on the CSS.

Next we’ll have Snake and Big Ass Snake.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I want both. Everyone is happy!
Why bring back an outdated model? It'll just be dragged down by the realistic and better one.

Why does everyone hate sticker star so much, still a decent game right? (although very different from the first paper mario's?)
I'm glad you enjoyed the game! It's got a lovely aesthetic.
I personally dislike it but it's got a lot of virtues. Hope you liked it.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Edit: I can't read. Still, the same can apply to SPM, although people don't hate it. But the fact the series exploded with it is still interesting.
Hoo boy, did people HATE it when it came out. It was pretty much what happened with Sticker Star (and Color Splash to a less extend) until people realised that it was actually a really good game. Very clever too.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
The Wii sold over 100 million units. The 3DS has sold over 70. If Super and Sticker Star weren't the best-selling entries that'd be really pathetic.

Heck TTYD being close to Sticker Star at all is impressive when you consider how much less the GameCube sold.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Why bring back an outdated model? It'll just be dragged down by the realistic and better one.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game! It's got a lovely aesthetic.
I personally dislike it but it's got a lot of virtues. Hope you liked it.
I simply find the new design extremely jarring because it’s radically different and I honestly find it difficult to look at. Especially from a distance. That’s all that needs to be said on the matter.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
P.Kat is just another person of culture.

Look, they even have Rayman in their signature, another sign of class.

:p
Kat from Gravity Rush would be a blast in Smash, a character with a wonderful personality, and I can just imagine the Zero G's shenanigans for days with her moveset.

As for Rayman, he was my first GBA game 'Rayman Advance,' and my first Rayman game, so having him in Smash would be amazing. I still remember Betilla the Fairy's theme my favorite song in the game:

IronTed

Smash Ace
In all fairness, the sales figures can be chalked up to the sales of the console, since the Wii and 3DS are the higher selling systems of the lot. But still.

And you're welcome to that opinion. I don't share it.

All I'm saying is that's the reason Paper Mario's popularity/support has waned for me and many, many others.
That is far from an iron rule, even if a bigger installbase is always helpful. Look at Metroid or Pokémon to see franchises that don't scale to the installbase.

For example, the DS nearly doubled the GBA, yet Diamond and Pearl didn't sell 30 million.

The inverse would be TTYD. It was on a smaller installbase and still outsold the original, and quite decisively.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I thought the term casual meant "commonly known and popular among even those that aren't hardcore into games."

If only Smash/Kirby fans really know about Bandanna Dee wouldn't that make him a niece pick not a casual pick?

I kinda held this opinion about Ashley too, as beyond Smash Speculation I NEVER heard about her.

I understand if both are also seen as Japanese picks since like you say they're popular there, but not casual picks.
Kirby is Nintendo's like 6th Biggest series. It's casual in the way that the majority of its players aren't hardcore gamers (this also means not very loud online).
Warioware probably fall in the same boat. you constantly hear people demand warioland, but warioware is the actual bigger seller.
They're casual picks in that they're more targeted toward the "casual silent majority" kinda thing.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The Wii sold over 100 million units. The 3DS has sold over 70. If Super and Sticker Star weren't the best-selling entries that'd be really pathetic.

Heck TTYD being close to Sticker Star at all is impressive when you consider how much less the GameCube sold.
also that it was way towards the tailend of the GCN's lifespan

and it was a time in game history where buying used games was basically superior

and I could go on and on but sometimes you people love to quote numbers w/ no actual meaning to them lol

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Kirby is Nintendo's like 6th Biggest series. It's casual in the way that the majority of its players aren't hardcore gamers (this also means not very loud online).
Warioware probably fall in the same boat. you constantly hear people demand warioland, but warioware is the actual bigger seller.
They're casual picks in that they're more targeted toward the "casual silent majority".
I guess I just gotta meet more people? I've legit never met a member of the "casual silent majority" that's pulling for Ashley and Bandanna Dee. If they want characters like those two (throw Isaac in there too), the more into video games they are, especially into smash specifically, the more likely they are to know them, the less they are into the games, the less likely they're to know them. I mean I can only really talk from personal experience.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
When was K Rool leaked?

The only activity regarding him I recall from before the Direct was Vergeben's PMs being leaked stating he'd been told no DK newcomers.
It was
When was K Rool leaked?

The only activity regarding him I recall from before the Direct was Vergeben's PMs being leaked stating he'd been told no DK newcomers.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76883130?page=6

Here is the pm, post 63. He revealed it after the August direct but the PM was before, check the date(the other user corroborated it happened when it did )

IronTed

Smash Ace
They're casual picks in that they're more targeted toward the "casual silent majority" kinda thing.
Animal Crossing is another example of different demographics, in Japan most players are female (not sure about other countries, but it should be similar). Because of this, and it's more casual, laid back nature, it's under-represented on the internet.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Kat from Gravity Rush would be a blast in Smash, a character with a wonderful personality, and I can just imagine the Zero G's shenanigans for days with her moveset.

As for Rayman, he was my first GBA game 'Rayman Advance,' and my first Rayman game, so having him in Smash would be amazing. I still remember Betilla the Fairy's theme my favorite song in the game:
Kat was basically the Bayonetta of PlayStation All-Stars (I think even some of their moves are pretty similar), that being said she would be a fun addition to Smash, in the VERY unlikely chance it would happen.

She's probably one of the best heroines in gaming and more people need to know about her.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So are we on #TeamVerg or #Teamloz atm?

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Kat was basically the Bayonetta of PlayStation All-Stars (I think even some of their moves are pretty similar), that being said she would be a fun addition to Smash, in the VERY unlikely chance it would happen.

She's probably one of the best heroines in gaming and more people need to know about her.
Back when I played All-Stars on my friend's console, I instantly chose her because she looked like a cool character, and no one else could wield Gravity like her, her moveset was fun. It probably was a good while after that I realized she was top tier.

Yeah I consider her one of the best heroines out there too, and her games are so good. I would love to play as her in Smash, but Sony just seems like that one kid on the playground that doesn't want to share it's toys with the rest kids.

It's just one character for Smash Sony, share a little.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I know what you mean.

Try convincing someone that Duck Hunt Dog should be in Smash before August 2014. Try convincing people that for 12 years.

And suddenly, people are using my “poor” reasons to justify Duck Hunt Dog’s inclusion in the Smash roster.

I spent 12 years trying to convince people to support Duck Hunt Dog for Smash. Sakurai does his magic and poof, they are convinced.

Like what? So people didn’t like the idea of Duck Hunt Dog and Duck teaming up like Banjo-Kazooie and breaking the fourth wall with the person with the NES Zapper when I suggested them? And suddenly they liked those ideas when Sakurai made Duck Hunt Dog like that?

Argh... I’m feeling frustrated about Toad/Captain Toad and Meowth/Team Rocket but I still hope that one day people will treat them as “sacred” parts of Smash like they do with Duck Hunt Dog.
If it makes you feel any better, I still don't like Duck Hunt Dog.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
#TeamVerg cause ever since Loz's source got smoked out he's been backpedaling and making an *** outta himself lul

get outta here with that trash Loz
It's weird too since Verge was the one with the more vague claims at the beginning, and Loz was the one who got a lot of really specific stuff right (like the fact that you pick stages before characters) that people wouldn't normally bother to include in a leak. He didn't get lucky at first... I don't see how he could have. But then he deleted his gamefaqs account and- is he actually still on twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom