• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not wanting a Nintendo fighting game to not have more Nintendo characters is "fear mongering"?
When you claim 10 percent of a roster is close to losing it's identity as a Nintendo game?

That's fear mongering.

Because it's silly. It's straight up silly. When 90 percent of the pie is Nintendo pepperoni and the say veggies are 10 percent third party guests?

The pie is still mostly Nintendo.

It reminds me of when people complained about X-Men taking up a lot of Marvel vs Capcom when there's 7 of them and the Marvel side has like 30 or so characters. Like stop. A majority of the characters are non-X-Men.

You're legit working yourself up and others up about something that's literally nonsensical.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Dark Samus is Darkness in the Dark.

CRAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIN
Darkness in the Dark, actually just be Ness with a Dark skin standing in the Dark? But if Dark Samus is Darkness standing in the Dark then if we place both a Ness with a Dark skin in the Dark along with Dark Samus... would we get a Dark Ness stand in the Darkness along with Darkness standing in the Dark? And then what if we put Shadow in that Scenario too?

OH DARK THE DARKNESS THAT DOZES IN THE DUSK

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As long as they had some role on a Nintendo system (and, you know, they're actually video game characters), I don't see why they should be excluded.
:ultcloud: oopsy daisy :ultdante:
Jokes aside I can understand your point, but I have some I prefer getting in that aren't third parties.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I do think Smash Bros. has had it's identity shift from Nintendo all-stars and in the direction of gaming all-stars, which started in Brawl and has been focused on a tad strongly in Ultimate, as Sakurai referred to it as "the biggest cross-over in video game history." I personally think it's fine, since every one of these fighters have appeared at least once on a Nintendo platform. Even Cloud, albeit in spin-offs.​

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
When you claim 10 percent of a roster is close to losing it's identity as a Nintendo game?

That's fear mongering.

Because it's silly. It's straight up silly. When 90 percent of the pie is Nintendo pepperoni and the say veggies are 10 percent third party guests?

It reminds me of when people complained about X-Men taking up a lot of Marvel vs Capcom when there's 7 of them and the Marvel side has like 30 or so characters. Like stop. A majority of the characters are non-X-Men.

You're legit working yourself up and others up about something that's literally nonsensical.
I better not hear anyone complain about Fire Emblem characters when the majority of the roster aren't FE characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

That's fear mongering.

Here's where you need reading glasses. Did I say "IT'S LOSING IT'S IDENTITY CALL THE NAVY AAAA" or did I ask the question "how many more before it happens?" Definitely wasn't the first one. :bobomb:

?????????????

Smash Master
I have no problem with the "number" of Fire Emblem characters.

I have a "slight" problem with the fact four of them use essentially the same moves.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I better not hear anyone complain about Fire Emblem characters when the majority of the roster aren't FE characters.
People complain because it's still a B-List series with a tied 2nd place of most characters, even if Nintendo's bringing it more into the spotlight and the gacha market. Also clones and swords and counter and blue hair and anime or whatever.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This too.

It's just like people complaining about Gen 1 Pokemon representation or how Fire Emblem Awakening now has Chrom, Lucina, AND Robin.

You even see people complaining about the potential of another Mario representative and it's just....

People work themselves up over the silliest things in this fanbase.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman

I have a "slight" problem with the fact four of them use essentially the same moves.
I agree with both of your points, In fact I have a Fire Emblem Character on my wishlist... It's Micaiah

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

That's fear mongering.

But if what I ordered was pepperoni pizza, then those veggies would still be more than there should be :p

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
People complain because it's still a B-List series with a tied 2nd place of most characters, even if Nintendo's bringing it more into the spotlight and the gacha market. Also clones and swords and counter and blue hair and anime or whatever.
This really wasn't I was going for. I just made a smart ass comment. Don't mind me I don't want to start another Fire Emblem debate. God knows we've had enough.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope Smash Ultimate will have more stuff from Square Enix other than Final Fantasy music and, I guess, Geno as a playable fighter.

Square Enix Assist Trophies
  • Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)
  • Crono (Chrono Trigger)
  • Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
  • Randi, Primm, & Popoi (Secret of Mana)
  • Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • Space Invaders
  • Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI)

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Yuri would be an amazing newcomer! Plus her chances are really underrated since Fatal Frame/Project Zero is actually Nintendo's property, so she would rep one of the few Nintendo franchises that don't have a rep and are actually alive.
Agreed! She's a genuinely underrated newcomer and people are seriously sleeping on her chances!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here's where you need reading glasses. Did I say "IT'S LOSING IT'S IDENTITY CALL THE NAVY AAAA" or did I ask the question "how many more before it happens?" Definitely wasn't the first one. :bobomb:
You still implied.

And like it's still silly because at the end of the day while Sakurai is adding more third parties? Guess what he's going to continue to add as well? Nintendo characters pure and through. So it's like a non-event.

The roster is never going to become overcome with third parties because Nintendo is always going to have some new IP, new all-star, new fan want, etc to add with them.

But if what I ordered was pepperoni pizza, then those veggies would still be more than there should be :p
That's your fault for ordering a pepperoni pizza when the make of said pizza has legit said and expressed his desire to make the ultimate crossover event in gaming.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have thought about a project plan scenario where the focus of Smash Switch could be half 3rd parties and half Nintendo characters, though the third party count when I imagined it long ago was 1/4 of the entire newcomer selection.

Considering the various kinds of content we're getting when it comes to third parties (Castlevania, Bomberman, Monster Hunter), a newcomer selection filled with third parties is not that much of a stretch TBH.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Marth, Ike, Lucina and Chrom - what other blue-haired swordsman is still possible?:p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This really wasn't I was going for. I just made a smart *** comment. Don't mind me I don't want to start another Fire Emblem debate. God knows we've had enough.
I don't mind a Fire Emblem debate, I just want a character from the series who is:

A. not a type of clone
B. doesn't have a counter
C. either mixes swords and another type of weapon or completely uses a different type of weapon

:ultrobin is the closest we'll get to that I feel no matter how many Hector dreams I'll have. I'm not really gonna complain about how its anime or the hair color because that's just how anime-type stuff works. People just naturally have that color for whatever reason.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I mean...

Ken is also voiced by Reuben Langdon, and he's now rumored for the game as well. Zero, voiced by Johnny Yung Bosch, voices Nero in DMC4 and 5, is an assist trophy. I'm down for it.

Also, if it is true, Langdon would be the fourth actor in the entire series to voice more than two characters in the roster, the other three being Charles Martinet, Makiko Ohmoto, and Lani Maniella, unless I'm misrembering.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
This too.

It's just like people complaining about Gen 1 Pokemon representation or how Fire Emblem Awakening now has Chrom, Lucina, AND Robin.

You even see people complaining about the potential of another Mario representative and it's just....

I don't have a problem with another Fire Emblem, I don't want another Marth.
Also Kanto needs to stop. Nothing anyone can say will change my opinion on this.
I'm cool with another Gen 2 Pokemon, a Gen 3 Pokemon, Gen 4, Gen 5, Gen 6, Gen 7, even a new Gen 8 Pokemon.
But I can't stand all the Kanto pandering, other regions exist.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Your question implies that you believe the number of Third Parties is getting too high.

Naturally, Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman disagrees.

Not everyone is going to take what you say 100% literally.

?????????????

Smash Master
I was recently thinking about if they decided to add Azura. I mean, she's a dedicated Lance wielder from the latest "new" installment of the franchise, AND a main character!

Then...if they really did add Edelgard down the line as DLC as an axe-wielder...we'd have the whole Weapon Triangle.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hello all. I'm here to discuss Dante.

First off, I thought the Dante "leak" was a meme for the last 2 - 3 weeks, so actually seeing it is surprising.

Here's the thread link for those who haven't seen it.

Anyways, the initial poster and the poster who discussed Dante in Smash are very likely the same person. There are three posts from our "leaker"
>There are three scenarios, one for each character with ten missions each. You can play them in any order, but Nero's is the first chronologically. Once you complete them all, you'll unlock the endgame scenario in which you play as all three in different missions.

>Vergil isn't playable in the base game, but Nero does get to use Yamato later on. Vergil will probably get a DLC expansion similar to what was done in DmC.

>"V" gives a different answer for his name each time he's asked what it stands for. He's a much more "vulnerable" character than the rest of the cast. He was an orphan adopted by Nico's family, and at a young age he discovered that he had a spiritual connection with the demon world. His tattoos are identical to Nico's as a symbol of appreciation for her raising him.

>"V" uses a magic staff or baton to summon monsters, and his different "weapons" are different classes of monsters such as demons, ghosts and angels that he recruits after defeating them in a boss fight.

>The way each character saves and upgrades is different. Dante and "V" will encounter classic DMC statues, while Nero finds hot spots where he can contact Nico.

>A training room similar to the one from DmC will be included.

>Alternate costumes make a return. Nero uses his appearance from DMC4, Dante's is completely original.

>If you hate Devil Trigger, then don't worry because Dante's battle theme is the typical Shootie HG fare. "V" has an orchestra rock styled theme.

>Here's the way dynamic music works. When you begin a battle, the song is an instrumental, and the lyrics will kick in once you raise your style ranking, followed by the chorus when you raise it even higher. At the higher rankings, the bass and instrumentation will be enhanced, at at SSS you can hear new parts of the song that aren't present normally, such as a solo or extra vocalizations. For example, the synth riff you hear in the full version of Devil Trigger.
Three of these claims have been proven true today.
>Vergil was indeed part of the scrapped "season 2" for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. He was the only Capcom character to reach a complete playable state, since most of his animations and assets could be reused from the previous game. Last I saw he still had placeholder sounds from UMVC3. He did have a unique animation for his level 3 super if Dante was his partner, similar to Winter Soldier with Captain America. If you've played DMC3, you can already guess what it looked like.

>Similar to how Capcom re-released Ultra Street Fighter IV to promote Street Fighter V, expect a physical re-release of DMC4 Special Edition to be announced for Playstation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, marking the series debut on Nintendo platforms.

>On that note, I can verify that the supposed "leak" of Dante in Smash is true. I'm not really a Smash/Nintendo guy, but I've seen the trailer. I can try and break down what I noticed if you guys want, I think DMC fans will be very happy with how he's represented.

>On the other hand, I have no knowledge of Dante making any kind of appearance in Bayonetta 3 as a bonus boss or cameo like people seem to be suggesting. I'm not sure where this speculation came from but if it's happening then Reuben hasn't been contacted to reprise his role.
This post discusses Dante in Smash, and is posted 1 minute and 15 seconds after the initial post.

The fastest typing speed for an alphanumeric keyboard is around 120 words per minute (wpm), and I think the max is 217. You can type faster using a stenograph, but that's only if you're highly advanced at it. Same with typing at fast speeds on an alphanumeric keyboard. What makes it even more unlikely is that the poster would have to know what they're typing before they got to it as well, so unless this poster knew exactly what to say when making stuff up this is the OP.

It's near impossible for someone to type up this post within 1 minute and 15 seconds, and it's more likely that time was spent copying and pasting text from a pre-typed out word document.
>>424871387
I'm sure he'll have a free grace period if they go that route with him. I'm not some super elite industry insider, I just know he wasn't in the game at all last I've seen. Just remember, DMC3 and DMC4 required you to buy a whole new version of the game to play as Vergil.

>>424871510
Sure thing anon. The trailer opens with a CGI of what I think is one of the Fire Emblem characters being attacked by a giant dragon. But before the attack connects, the screen goes dark and you hear the royal guard parry sound. When the video resumses they show his eyecatch (Dante Rocks Out!) and then they show his gameplay. Again, I'm not a Smash guy, so I can only say so much, but I do know my DMC. He uses his outfit and most of his weapons from 4, although I didn't see Pandora. Whenever he uses Gilgamesh the mask appears on his face, which is a nice touch. Lady is shown as an assist character, also in her DMC4 attire, she jumps in and starts firing shots everywhere. For Dante's ultimate he does a devil trigger burst, and if the aura catches them they get sucked into a cinematic combo with the style meter cranking up to Smokin Sick Style. The end of the trailer has another CGI scene where the girl he protected asks him name, only to be met with him tossing a rose at her and walking off as he gives the same salute he gave to Nero at the end of DMC4.

>>424871949
It's especially hype in the boss fights. I'm not going to spoil any of those for you though.
Again, I doubt that this isn't OP, as it's answering questions about the previous posts. Unless this is a super dedicated DMC fan messing around with 4chan, it's OP. This post doesn't discredit the first two, however.

This is definitely worth watching.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Your question implies that you believe the number of Third Parties is getting too high.
Assuming makes an ass out of you and me. :p I don't believe it's at that point. yet.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Concerning 3rd party characters, the only one I legitimately hope for is Agumon from the Digimon series. My pipe dream is having Guilmon packaged with him as a Wolf styled clone of some sort.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Well I get the feeling that if four of them didn't use the same moves we wouldn't have gotten that large number in the first place

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I was recently thinking about if they decided to add Azura. I mean, she's a dedicated Lance wielder from the latest "new" installment of the franchise, AND a main character!

Then...if they really did add Edelgard down the line as DLC as an axe-wielder...we'd have the whole Weapon Triangle.
I'm always down for more FE if they're cool enough. Though I think the damaged perception people have of the franchise in Smash will reign supreme over them being unique. A lot of people say they wouldn't mind if they're unique, but at this point the character count is reaching high enough to where I think that's not true and people will be mad regardless.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This too.

Exactly. I don’t care about overrepresentation. We have 70+ playable characters now.

Just give me a playable Toad and a playable Meowth and I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
other regions exist.
Tell that to Game Freak. Honestly, Smash, and Nintendo in general, will keep pandering to Gen 1 as long as Game Freak keeps pushing it, and they'll keep pushing it because it appeals to the casual audience, nostalgia and all that.

It's a vicious cycle.

?????????????

Smash Master
Also Kanto needs to stop. Nothing anyone can say will change my opinion on this.
I'm cool with another Gen 2 Pokemon, a Gen 3 Pokemon, Gen 4, Gen 5, Gen 6, Gen 7, even a new Gen 8 Pokemon.
But I can't stand all the Kanto pandering, other regions exist.
I will never be FULLY satisfied until we have Meowth.

I'll be fine without that ever happening. But I'll always desire it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hello all. I'm here to discuss Dante.

First off, I thought the Dante "leak" was a meme for the last 2 - 3 weeks, so actually seeing it is surprising.

Here's the thread link for those who haven't seen it.

Anyways, the initial poster and the poster who discussed Dante in Smash are very likely the same person. There are three posts from our "leaker"

Three of these claims have been proven true today.

This post discusses Dante in Smash, and is posted 1 minute and 15 seconds after the initial post.

The fastest typing speed for an alphanumeric keyboard is around 120 words per minute (wpm), and I think the max is 217. You can type faster using a stenograph, but that's only if you're highly advanced at it. Same with typing at fast speeds on an alphanumeric keyboard.

It's near impossible for someone to type up this post within 1 minute and 15 seconds, and it's more likely that time was spent copying and pasting text from a pre-typed out word document.

Again, I doubt that this isn't OP, as it's answering questions about the previous posts. Unless this is a super dedicated DMC fan messing around with 4chan, it's OP. This post doesn't discredit the first two, however.

This is definitely worth watching.
Does this mean we actually could get Dante? ew.

KMDP

Smash Legend

The fastest typing speed for an alphanumeric keyboard is around 120 words per minute (wpm), and I think the max is 217. You can type faster using a stenograph, but that's only if you're highly advanced at it. Same with typing at fast speeds on an alphanumeric keyboard.

Devil's Advocate, but you could use cut and paste to artificially speed up your typing speed from an outsider's perspective.

Not that I don't disagree with you. :laugh: A guy who knows stuff about DmC is not necessarily going to know anything about Smash.

EDIT: Missed the bit about copy-pasting. Whoops, oh well, my point still stands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom