• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I know its not a Gen 7 Pokemon, but has anybody brought up Rotom as a potential Pokemon fighter? Not saying its likely but I thought I might as well throw out the idea.

This little guy might have originated in gen 4, but he did received some importance Sun and Moon with the Rotom Pokedex.

For moveset potential, Rotom could use all of his different forms for attacks, giving him the power to use electricity, fire, ice, flying, water, and grass attacks.
HERE WE GO!!!!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm not talking about "deserving" or not, I'm saying Banjo fans act like it's the Jesus of platformers when Mario 64 completely overshadows it in the N64 era and nothing after it took inspiration from it until Not Banjo Kazooie with the lizard and bat came out.
Hmmm well I don't know about those, cause i certainly don't think Banjo Kazooie is the jesus of N64 era. I love it, just as much as any of the characters i also support to be included in smash, but it's not at the top of my pedestal. So I rather not be considered one of those "fans".

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling if sakurai announced Geno, Banjo and BWD at the same time this place would erupt into the biggest flames in the world.

Not saying all of these will be in at all, but it feels like post direct we just rotate between banjo discourse, geno discourse and waddle dee discourse.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not saying that Banjo-Kazooie has a 100% chance, I'm saying that he doesn't have a 0% chance., and I wish people here would get off their high horses and at least try to acknowledge that fact. There are more than plenty of people who blow his chances out of proportion, but I'm sure as hell not one of them, especially considering we're talking Microsoft here. I'm not expecting him in, either, but I would consider it a pleasant surprise.

As for the people who say "He can't be in because he has a bunch of stinker games!": You could male the same argument about Sonic, but there was an immense enough amount of fan demand to get Brawl delayed just so he'd make the cut, and he got in 2 more times to boot.

As for the people who say "Castlevania isn't a dead franchise, we have the anime!": That's all well and good, but... where the hell are the games?
I cannot ****ing fathom the idea that not having a game in 4 years means dead franchise
Steve...in....smash....

No. That is so dumb.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he was popular on the ballot because Minecraft is just that popular with kids. I don't even like Minecraft, I've just gotten over the edgy "Hating what kids like these days" phase

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
SO THEY'RE FINALLY HERE
PERFORMING FOR YOU~
IF YOU KNOW THE WORDS YOU CAN JOIN IN TOO~

So Gardevoir could be a thing, Shantae could be a thing...

I promised myself this Smash hype cycle would be a mild one. Why does this keep happening?

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
YOUR REACTION

If we get a second version of WarioWare, Inc. like what they did with Flat Zone 2? What Microgames would you like to see?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
You need something to look at? Remember that one Pokemon popularity poll that Nintendo Dream had in their magazine?

Nintendo Dream published a full version of that, and it's on their website. 1st through 113th is available.

https://www.ndw.jp/pokemon-ranking/

From page two onward we start to see the rest of the Pokemon that didn't make the magazine cut. Decidueye sitting at 15th there.
https://www.ndw.jp/pokemon-ranking/2/

On page 5 is when they stop using pictures, so anyone 74th and below is just listed plainly. Buzzwole is in this section.
https://www.ndw.jp/pokemon-ranking/5/

This is of course the opinions of their readerbase, not the whole Japanese fandom. But you knew that.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I played Banjo Kazooie, but not enough for me to be invested in them, or to be one of my most wanted characters, but if they made it in, my reaction would be "Oh they made it okay:ultness: ." Good to see they made it, but not pushing for them to get in or out of Smash. Still power to the Banjo Kazooie supporters.

D

Deleted member

But guys, what if instead of Joker, we got Arvis?

Arvis_Emperor_of_Flame_Face.png

I mean, everyone loves new Fire Emblem characters, you get your double Xander, and he fits in with the """"""theme"""""" so he'd be perfect.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have a feeling if sakurai announced Geno, Banjo and BWD at the same time this place would erupt into the biggest flames in the world.

Not saying all of these will be in at all, but it feels like post direct we just rotate between banjo discourse, geno discourse and waddle dee discourse.
Honestly, I don't think so. The naysayers tend to quiet down after the character they're opposed to gets introduced. Just look at Ridley and King K.Rool - I've barely seen anyone smack talking those characters ever since they were announced. I'm sure it'd be the same for those three.

The one big exception for that rule seems to be Fire Emblem right now. Everyone will probably be at each others throats if we get another non-echo swordsman.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
YOUR REACTION

If we get a second version of WarioWare, Inc. like what they did with Flat Zone 2? What Microgames would you like to see?
Ones based on the Volt stages, based on NES games.

That way we can have a stage representing all of Classic Nintendo for ROB to fight on.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I think this has been stated 500 times now, but as Alola polls are mentioned again.

The game started planning stage before pokemon sun and moon was even announced. If there is a Gen 7 mon, It won't be by popularity, but something similar to smash 4 where Game Freak show a bunch of designs to Sakurai who then chooses his favourite. Unlike K rool and Ridley, the Fans won't have squat to do with this choice.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We really need to stop looking for patterns where there likely aren't any. Even if we get a record number of villains in this particular roster of newcomers, that doesn't mean there was any intent behind that other than an attempt to add the best newcomers they could add. If there were a theme I imagine they would make it obvious. There is no reason to have a theme unless that theme is going to play into either gameplay (perhaps a storyline) or marketing or both. And at this point it doesn't seem to apply to the latter, so unless we find out that the supposed spirits mode has a heroes vs villains theme I wouldn't put any stock in that theory.

Not everything has a hidden meaning.
Ignoring the fact that applying a theme to the newcomers you choose beforehand is just a bad idea in general, we're less than three and a half months away from Ultimate's release, and I have a feeling we'd hear about this alleged villain theme by now.

Two or three villain newcomers out of ten or more hero characters is not a theme. It's a coincidence at best, and anything associated with villains was probably made long after the roster was decided.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he was popular on the ballot because Minecraft is just that popular with kids. I don't even like Minecraft, I've just gotten over the edgy "Hating what kids like these days" phase
So you think that this block has the potential for a fighter?

ac3d9a93d9f29d224bfaa4c2dd487d42-steve_punching_zombie.png

If so, that's pretty dumb. He would legit make the game 100% more ridiculous than it already is.

I don't hate minecraft or steve. i just think it's ****ing dumb.

Jonny_Cookie

Smash Rookie
Here are mine...

Unique: 6 more
Elma
Nihilego
Chorus Kids
Ayumi Tachibana
Heihachi
Geno

Echoes: 4 More
Isabelle
Ninten
Ken
Shadow
I didn’t even think of Nihilego, it would have a very interesting play style plus it’s an ultra beast that’s a good idea

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

If that happened I'm sure this website would need 3 days straight of maintenance.
Also… I love your username… my favorite character from that game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And I can't fathom why you have to be so abrasive about your own personal opinion.
This is a Smash Ultimate discussion thread, where we talk about our opinions on the game and potential things in the game. Opinions are the second biggest thing that drive this thread. Being utterly wrong about 'lol dead franchise' isn't exactly comparable to an opinion

View attachment 158870

If so, that's pretty dumb. He would legit make the game 100% more ridiculous than it already is.

I mean, yeah. Terraformer fighter can work. And this game can never be more regoddamndiculous than it is, it has Mario and Shovel Knight together in Nintendo's biggest game of 2018

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 158870

Sounds pretty hateful to me , it's just a character :p , not more ridiculous than the villager being a fighter .. :p

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

View attachment 158870

I mean, I don't want or expect Steve either...but if they can make a full moveset for Villager, Pac-man, or Wii Fit Trianer, they can make one for Steve. They've made much more ridiculous characters.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly, I don't think so. The naysayers tend to quiet down after the character they're opposed to gets introduced. Just look at Ridley and King K.Rool - I've barely seen anyone smack talking those characters ever since they were announced. I'm sure it'd be the same for those three.

The one big exception for that rule seems to be Fire Emblem right now. Everyone will probably be at each others throats if we get another non-echo swordsman.
Pure truth.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I mean, yeah. Terraformer fighter can work. And this game can never be more regoddamndiculous than it is, it has Mario and Shovel Knight together in Nintendo's biggest game of 2018

Pft.

Guys, his down b is going to be mining into the ground. His weapon is a PICKAXE.

Oh yes. It can get even more ridiculous...

Admit it, some characters don't translate well into fighting games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They say that over time a series becomes indistinguishable from fanfiction of itself. I wonder if Smash will reach the point that the roster looks like a fan-roster.

Heck, if Gothitelle is true then it would fit the "Pokemon that no one but the creator knows why" requirement.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Pft.

Guys, his down b is going to be mining into the ground. His weapon is a PICKAXE.

Oh yes. It can get even more ridiculous...

Admit it, some characters don't translate well into fighting games.
Yeah, like ROB, Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, that dog from Duck Hunt, a fitness trainer, a character from a game where the most violent thing you can do is boop people on the head with a net. How would that translate well in a fighting game? And that's not even getting into stuff like a house maid and a lawyer in other fighting games

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

View attachment 158870

To be fair, Mr. Game and Watch probably would've sounded like a stupid idea if Sakurai proposed him to us.

I really don't care about Steve in Smash, but it seems like most of the hate he gets has less to do with his moveset and more to do with, "Eww, Minecraft".

D

Deleted member

They say that over time a series becomes indistinguishable from fanfiction of itself. I wonder if Smash will reach the point that the roster looks like a fan-roster.

Heck, if Gothitelle is true then it would fit the "Pokemon that no one but the creator knows why" requirement.
My dad is Sakurai's desk that makes the Smash Bros. and he says Gothitelle is in.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Sounds pretty hateful to me , it's just a character :p , not more ridiculous than the villager being a fighter .. :p
Shush.
I mean, I don't want or expect Steve either...but if they can make a full moveset for Villager, Pac-man, or Wii Fit Trianer, they can make one for Steve. They've made much more ridiculous characters.
You guys would greenlight ****ing everything wouldn't ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom