• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Bosses
King Boo
Something from Zelda idk
Ultra Necrozma
Porky
Zero/Dark Matter
Kraid
Some dragon from Fire Emblem
Eggman

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
True, but the reason Cloud got in Smash was because Square Enix says yes after being asked. How can we be certain that Microsoft will do the same?

Yes, Phil Spencer did that one tweet and he's a highly placed person in the company, but is he the one with the power to do the licensing and stuff?

Legitimately asking since I don't know **** about how Microsoft works.
We don't know...but we also don't know if Sakurai would just accept whatever they suggest afterwards. If he contacted them with the purpose of getting Banjo & Kazooie I'm not really convinced he would change direction and go with a Halo or Minecraft character just because Microsoft disagreed with him. Think about it, if he did go to Microsoft with the aim of adding Banjo & Kazooie as a playable character, then he's not looking for a "relevant" or "blockbuster" character like Master Chief or Steve.

It's like if Sakurai went to Square Enix asking for Cloud and they suggested Lightning or the latest Final Fantasy protagonist instead, would he have gone with it? Who knows but I'd like to think he wouldn't put a character in the game just because a third party said it was a deal breaker.

I'd like to think Sakurai sticks to his guns on this sort of thing....but yeah we don't really know what would happen in that scenario. (which is why we're speculating :p)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Someone made a Templare for Smash Bros Ultimate Wishes

Here are my picks

That is a nice template! If you want I would share it in Twitter :3

So with Rathalos and Dracula all but confirmed that they are bosses in a new single player mode, what other bosses would people like to see included?
Mine are an ultra beast either Buzzwole or Guzzlord
Lord Fredrik
Mama Broodal
And Void Termina
Oh let's see...

:ultpit: Hades
:ultlink: Calamity Ganon
:ultkirby: Dark Matter/Void Termina
:ultike: Zelgius (Black Knight)
:ultmarth: Grima (or another iconic dragon boss like Medeus)
:ultness: Porky
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggman
:ultcloud: Safer Sephiroth (But also Gilgamesh if we can go even more insane with boss choices!).
:ultmegaman: Dr. Willy
:ultsnake: A freaking Metal Gear REX

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
What if we already got our gen 8 (edit: 6) pokemon rep, and just didn't realize it at the time?

Joking of course. Now that mimikyu is out of the running, it's worth pondering what the options are, and if Incineroar is actually the pokemon rep or rather it's a non-gen 8 pokemon or we just don't get a newcomer at all, or if the leakers are wrong and it's decidueye or lycanroc.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Wow, I feel really old and really dumb after that one. Meant to say gen 7, but then realized that Libre appeared in ORAS anyway so it would STILL be wrong. Double wrong.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
As a casual Pokemon fan, it might just be the circles I'm in then. I hear a lot of love for XY (my least favorite gen) and tons of trashing BW. Honestly I can't see quantity over quality myself because half of my favorite designs are from Gen V too
XY, the games, were ambivalently received at the time, but there's been a hipster-ish push lately to redeem XY's good parts. That doesn't change the fact that it was critically (and to some perspectives empirically) one of the weaker gens at the time. XY the anime was one of the best received of the anime adaptations, so that might have helped it's reputation. Aside from that, there's this weird thing where BW fans and XY fans sometimes don't like the others' prefered game.

Anyway, XY got one of its most popular parts in Smash already (Greninja) so that's good, it could easily have gone under-repped.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
What if we already got our gen 8 (edit: 6) pokemon rep, and just didn't realize it at the time?

Joking of course. Now that mimikyu is out of the running, it's worth pondering what the options are, and if Incineroar is actually the pokemon rep or rather it's a non-gen 8 pokemon or we just don't get a newcomer at all, or if the leakers are wrong and it's decidueye or lycanroc.
Incineroar makes the most sense to me based on the endless promotional efforts of the Pokemon Company.

Others don't for that same reason. Mimikyu was a great loss given the promotion push but at least it's in the game it's just really bittersweet.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
X and Y waa definitely a good series. Haven't played the games to say.

Also, please don't be Decidueye. All those people that jumped on board because Pokken made him relevant in a fighter game need to learn the hard way that Sakurai isn't basic.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm going to be crazy and make a suggestion for a gen 7 Pokemon rep.

Rowlet

After all, Squirtle is playable....why would Rowlet be different? Isn't Rowlet very popular in Japan? (and worldwide he's probably the most popular starter)

I think we could be sleeping on Rowlet.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So with Rathalos and Dracula all but confirmed that they are bosses in a new single player mode, what other bosses would people like to see included?
Mine are an ultra beast either Buzzwole or Guzzlord
Lord Fredrik
Mama Broodal
And Void Termina
We need Master Belch:

He'll look glorious in HD.

edit: Smashboards please start working thank you.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm going to be crazy and make a suggestion for a gen 7 Pokemon rep.

Rowlet

After all, Squirtle is playable....why would Rowlet be different? Isn't Rowlet very popular in Japan? (and worldwide he's probably the most popular starter)

I think we could be sleeping on Rowlet.
I don't think anyone's sleeping on Rowlet. I've seen it suggested more often than other potential Gen7 pokemon haha

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
We don't know...but we also don't know if Sakurai would just accept whatever they suggest afterwards. If he contacted them with the purpose of getting Banjo & Kazooie I'm not really convinced he would change direction and go with a Halo or Minecraft character just because Microsoft disagreed with him. Think about it, if he did go to Microsoft with the aim of adding Banjo & Kazooie as a playable character, then he's not looking for a "relevant" or "blockbuster" character like Master Chief or Steve.

It's like if Sakurai went to Square Enix asking for Cloud and they suggested Lightning or the latest Final Fantasy protagonist instead, would he have gone with it? Who knows but I'd like to think he wouldn't put a character in the game just because a third party said it was a deal breaker.

I'd like to think Sakurai sticks to his guns on this sort of thing....but yeah we don't really know what would happen in that scenario. (which is why we're speculating :p)
But at the same time though, do you think that Sakurai would pass up the opportunity to nab an iconic character like the Chief? It's not a coincidence that most of our third party characters are huge icons in gaming, and it's also not coincidence that they all have their flagship/most popular character in the game. It's why I think if Banjo gets in, so will the Master Chief.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've got a fun game - Design a Classic Mode

Take your favorite character, confirmed or not, and design their respective Gauntlet based on the new style of Classic.

You need to plan out 6 battles (then bonus and then the Master boss) - some 1v1, some 2v2, and some other styles (vs Team, vs Giant, vs Metal, Free for all) - and give each a name, a set of opponents, and a stage. For the opponents and stages, try to stick to confirmed elements and avoid repeats.

Here's mine for the Dragonborn
  1. Training with the Master - 1v1 vs. Link on Great Plateau
  2. Dungeon Delving - 2v2 with Simon vs. Ganondorf and Robin on Castle Siege
  3. Forest Ambush - 1v10 vs. Team Wolf on Gaur Plain
  4. Blessing of Sovngarde - 1vMetal vs. Metal Palutena on Palutena’s Temple
  5. Dragon Battle - FFA vs. Charizard, Corrin, Yoshi on Coliseum
  6. Destroyer of Worlds - 1vGiant vs. Giant Ridley on Bridge of Eldin

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
But at the same time though, do you think that Sakurai would pass up the opportunity to nab an iconic character like the Chief? It's not a coincidence that most of our third party characters are huge icons in gaming, and it's also not coincidence that they all have their flagship/most popular character in the game. It's why I think if Banjo gets in, so will the Master Chief.
I don't think we'll ever see a console exclusive character though. It would dillute their (Microsoft) brand too much. That's why we won't be ever seeing Kratos or Parappa or the kids from Ape Escape.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Late to the party, but wanted to predict who I think is left.

Unique newcomers:

1) Skull Kid - Might be a bit biased, but between the Mii Costume (look at all the newcomers that got them) and Moon AT, I feel like he’s in.

2) Bandanna Dee - He usually ranks pretty high in polls, and after Sakurai noted that Ridley, Simon, Chrom, and Dark Samus were highly requested, it just seems that fan service really is the MO here. And Kirby deserves a 4th Rep.

3) Geno - Just our or sheer popularity in the Smash community. Plus, he serves as both a 2nd Square Rep and a new Mario character.

4) Incineroar - Basing this mainly on the leak, honestly. There’s so many new Gen 7 Pokéballs that a new rep seems like a lock anyway

New echoes:

5) Impa - Revealed alongside Skull Kid

6) Shadow - All but confirmed with Richter, IMO

7) Ken - Another obvious and popular choice

8) Isabelle - Also popular, with Mii Costume and MIA AT

9) Ms. Pacman - Because she’d be super easy to make and is iconic

10) Dixie Kong - But more of a Chrom-esque echo with a different up-B. Like DK’s but using her hair
Wow

Replace

Mrs pacman with black knight

That's my prediction

(Ken could be akuma instead by the way with the whole heroes vs villains theme looking likely.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think we'll ever see a console exclusive character though. It would dillute their (Microsoft) brand too much. That's why we won't be ever seeing Kratos or Parappa or the kids from Ape Escape.
you think Micro-"Almost every game we showed at E3 2018 weren't console exclusive including our biggest announcements"-soft cares about that?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, don't think Microsoft cares at this point. In fact, times have changed and they seem to be THE friendliest and lax of the Big Three right now

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Those are all Sony exclusive characters though, I'm talking about Microsoft.

What I was saying is if Microsoft offered The Chief, I don't think Sakurai will turn it down. Plus, it's free advertisement for Halo Infinite and other future Halo games.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Maybe....but you're kinda making him sound like he's desperate. I still think he'd probably push for Banjo & Kazooie. (and they would probably accept since it would be an act of good faith between them....and open the door to other characters down the line)

I guess the question is whether Sakurai wants something that will wow Nintendo fans or Gaming fans at large....and really with K. Rool just being announced I'm feeling the former right now.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey I'm noticing all this boss talk

How come?

Are we getting more than Rathalos and Dracula and the other hazard bosses and master/crazy hand

I mean I'm speculating it since the stages you fought Dracula and rathalos seems a little flat and dull to be a stage

And also you seem to be fighting them alone for some reason

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
you think Micro-"Almost every game we showed at E3 2018 weren't console exclusive including our biggest announcements"-soft cares about that?
Yes, yes I do. Halo still isn't avaible on any other console, so isn't Sea of Thieves, or the Rare Bundle. Banjo-Kazooie is an exception given his history with Nintendo, not the rule

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

How come?

Are we getting more than Rathalos and Dracula and the other hazard bosses and master/crazy hand

I mean I'm speculating it since the stages you fought Dracula and rathalos seems a little flat and dull to be a stage

Yeah, because story mode.

But also isn't Dracula a stage boss in his Castle stage though?

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Maybe....but you're kinda making him sound like he's desperate. I still think he'd probably push for Banjo & Kazooie. (and they would probably accept since it would be an act of good faith between them....and open the door to other characters down the line)
Desperate? How? How would accepting an offer to add an iconic character seem "desperate"?

Yes, yes I do. Halo still isn't avaible on any other console, so isn't Sea of Thieves, or the Rare Bundle. Banjo-Kazooie is an exception given his history with Nintendo, not the rule
You can play as The Chief in Minecraft Switch.

Banjo Kazooie is still a microsoft brand. If there was a new game, it'd be Xbox exclusive.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Didn't a leak say that Spirits is about a puppet master?

Geno is a spirit inside of a doll.

And Skull Kid is a puppet of Majora's Mask.

Hmm.

:ultcloud:Sephiroth (if Square plays nice)
:ultdk:Lord Frederick
:ultfox:Andross
:ultpikachu:Necrozma
:ultike:Black Knight
:ultlink:Final Boss Ganon from BOTW
:ultkirby:Marx, but there are probably better options
:ultmario:The Broodals, specifically the 4 of them as that giant wooden boss
:ultpit:Hades
:ultsamus:Mother Brain
BOSS IDEAS
:ultbayonetta:Jubileus
:ultcloud:Gilgamesh **** you I don't care if he wasn't in 7
:ultdk: Lord Frederick
:ultfox:Monarch Dodora
:ultinkling:DJ Octavio
:ultkirby:Sectonia
:ultlink:Phantom Ganon
:ultmario:Antasma
:ultmarth:Duma
:ultmegaman:Sigma
:ultpikachu:Perfect Zygarde
:ultpit:Hades
:ultryu:Bison
:ultsamus:Thardus
:ultshulk:Xord
:ultsnake:Metal Gear REX
:ultsonic:Eggman
More bosses!
:ultpokemontrainer: Red Gyarados (Lake of Rage, pokemon silver)
:ultyoshi: Kamek (with any giant minion)
:ulttoonlink:Puppet Ganon
:ultsamus:Kraid / Metroid Prime (The Metroid Prime)
:ultsonic:Metal Sonic
:ultsnake:Liquid Snake
:ultlittlemac:Super Machoman

:ultvillager: .... Tom Nook... i guess

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
As a casual Pokemon fan, it might just be the circles I'm in then. I hear a lot of love for XY (my least favorite gen) and tons of trashing BW. Honestly I can't see quantity over quality myself because half of my favorite designs are from Gen V too
This is a problem the Pokemon franchise has had for a while now where there's too much of a divide between the "casual" and "hardcore" fans of the games. The casual group very often seems entrenched in nostalgia and react very poorly to games that feel too different ala Gen V and enjoy it more when the original formula is closely adhered to and the older generation Pokemon are given a spotlight ala Gen VI. The "hardcore" group have voiced displeasure with the staleness of the formula, the refusal to provide the same privilege to newer generations as the first one, and the refusal to make any effort to improve player vs player play.

GameFreak have more or less actively admitted that this is the reason Let's Go! exist. They're creating an experience tailored to the "casual" fans and claim that Gen VIII will be made with "hardcore" fans in mind. Which, if they truly succeed in creating a quality "hardcore" experience for Gen VIII, was quite possibly the best thing they could do to move the forward series without alienating one group of people or the other.

Sadly however, I still think Gardevoir/Gothitelle are simply not going to happen. Gardevoir is popular but not particularly iconic, and I see a Gen 7 or 8 rep as far more likely.

Last edited:

gurtbilbo

Smash Rookie

How come?

Just because the footage shown didn’t look like they were stage hazard bosses and more like a story mode boss so it’s just fun to think of what other bosses we’d like to see

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Microsoft has shown they're very lax if anything and you should also remember a Halo DS game was planned. If Microsoft chose to have their biggest announcements at the biggest gaming event of the year available on other systems, I don't see why they would go "Well our brand would be devalued if the closest we have of a mascot was in the biggest gaming crossover ever. Of course this dead franchise we don't care about can get in though"

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hmmm. Now you can pick any of the 5 recent newcomers as your main, and they actually show. Progress . . .

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Microsoft has shown they're very lax if anything and you should also remember a Halo DS game was planned. If Microsoft chose to have their biggest announcements at the biggest gaming event of the year available on other systems, I don't see why they would go "Well our brand would be devalued if the closest we have of a mascot was in the biggest gaming crossover ever. Of course this dead franchise we don't care about can get in though"
Not to mention they already let you Play as Master Chief in the Switch version of Minecraft. Smash Bros would bring good advertisement and publicity for the Halo franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom