• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
I've updated my most wanted list, so here are my reasons behind them:
  1. Geno: SMRPG was a really fun game and I thought Geno was an interesting concept of a character. Before I played it, I think I might have actually found out about Geno from Smash speculation. I didn't play it as a kid, it was closer to... early high school? I think. Either way, not only do I strongly like the character, I think that it has a good chance.
  2. Captain Falcon Echo: I'm one of the few people that actually genuinely likes the ideas of echos, even before Chrom blew everyone out of the water with their perception of them. I like the idea of being able to choose which character I want the moveset to be applied to- for instance, I'm most certainly picking Daisy over Peach, Damus over Samus, and Chrom over Roy (Ike). Additionally, I think Captain Falcon has one of my favorite movesets, so literally ANYBODY with his moveset would be pretty funny to me and, while I still love the captain, if it's absurd enough I might pick the echo. But not "over" the captain, though, because he's still cool. Long live the captain.
  3. Skull Kid: Obviously, specifically the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. I love the game he's from and I think, yet again, that the character is interesting. Without the mask, he was just some prankster, or petty thug (lol don't look into that too hard). With the mask, he was brainwashed into throwing the moon into the town. No big deal. I think he's likely, but not incredibly likely (like how I view Geno), but also I think Majora or even Skull Kid himself would make an incredible story mode boss to unlock Young Link with. (Or, Young Link and Skull Kid, because I'm sure you'd be able to fight playable characters as bosses in Story mode too.)
  4. Buzzwole: Out of all the Gen 7 Pokemon ideas, Buzzwole is my favorite. Won't happen- in fact, I actually expect Decidueye. Or, rather, If I didn't pick Buzzwole, I would have picked Decidueye. It's my favorite starter. Haha. But, in my head, Ultra Beasts are a signature of Gen 7 and I think they genuinely have a chance of having at least been considered, and Buzzwole is my favorite "realizable" fighter. (I think my favorite UB in general is Guzzlord).
  5. Paper Mario: The Mario RPG from my childhood. I actually really like Paper Mario 64! A lot of people like TTYD, and so do I, but PM64 holds a bit of a higher place in my heart. Would be a third Mario, but who cares anymore? He would play radically different anyway and potentially use gimmicks from his huge range of video games. (...Including the ones that make us all sad...)
  6. Goemon: A huuuuuuuuuuuge part of my childhood. Something that could have very well planted the seed in my head that I should learn Japanese. Also, what got me interested in Japanese mythology and history. Ganbare Goemon is a video game series turned Pachislot machine (haha, thanks Konami) that has a lot of humor, gigantic robot fights, yokai, and charm (imo) and it would be the *biggest* curveball if Goemon was even mentioned, let alone playable. We already have Konami newcomers in Simon and Richter, and the stage and the AT and etc. But if there ended up being a Goemon *TROPHY*, I would be incredibly happy. Though, I'm the type of person who can appreciate my characters becoming assist trophies, even, because the representation in SMASH BROTHERS of all things, makes me happy.
tl;dr: You hate my list

Thank you, this has been an unreasonably long ToasterBrains's Thoughts post.

Well I guess thanks to Wednesday's Beautiful direct I can update my most wanted list as well

1. GENO: Probably a no-brainer pick considering he starred (no pun intended) in one of Mario's first ever RPG outing. I could honestly see him fitting in extremely well with the rest of the enormous cast that we have so far to the point where it's pretty much unreal!

2. Travis Touchdown: Well, I could easily make the whole "Well, Suda wanted him in ever since Smash 4" argument, but to add to it. I feel like No More Heroes was one of those games that made the Wii, the Wii (And also was probably one of the most fun times I've had with a video game, period but that's getting off topic) I feel he could have an interesting Grappling meets Sword playstyle to him, maybe even throw in some of his punches and kicks and he'd be all set!

3. Isaac: Every Summer I've made it a goal for myself to finish one RPG, this year I played through Golden Sun and it's Sequel "Lost Age" and, I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt, I loved Isaac as a character. Maybe it was where he was a silent protagonist in the first game, but I actually felt like I could relate to him and, after seeing what SSF2 and other fan-made Brawl and PM mods could do with Isaac's abilities to give him a good moveset, I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to see him come to Smash Ultimate.

4. Banjo-Kazooie: What else can I really say to vouch for the bear-n-bird that hasn't been said by a vast majority of the internet already?

5. Miles "Tails" Prower: Now, before the Brawl days, I too remember seeing that EGM April Fools article mentioning the dynamic duo of Sonic and Tails being unlockable in Melee, which of course was false information. I would love to see Sakurai take that entire rumor and turn it onto its head by adding Sonic's two tailed buddy to the roster (and hopefully not make him nearly as busted as say... SSF2 Beta Tails)

and the one Semi-Clone / or (if they have to be one) Echo I want to happen more than anything: Shadow the Hedgehog: It's clear with the K. Rool trailer that we're getting a sort of Rivals motif going, at least that's what it looks like with the original 12. Now I would personally love to see Shadow get in, but I feel like if He were just all spindashes like Sonic is, that would probably get very old and stale. I would honestly love to see Shadow play similarly to how he does in Legacy XP, which I doubt will happen, but that is a very good moveset to paint a picture from.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m shocked some people here are rethinking about Smash going down the MvCi route...
There will be no smash 6. Just ultimate ported to every new console with enhancements.
That’s something I wouldn’t be against
Sooner or later, we'll have to trim down the fat from the roster, and clones would be the best area to start with IMO.

Better for them to get cut than an unique character.
We don’t really need to trim anything down. Either we keep the game how it is and add more things to it in the process (like a port) or they make a new game out of the resources given from the previous game (which is what Ultimate did)
Noticed something about all 5 of yesterday's reveals, they all come from different eras

Simon: NES
King K. Rool: Early SNES
Richter: TG-CD/late SNES
Dark Samus: Gamecube/Wii
Chrom: 3DS

How cool is that?
Damn that’s cool

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Is Chrom really an echo of Roy?

I feel like he's he's his own thing. Just like you wouldn't call Ike a clone of marth.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I've been thinking.. If this thing about gone AT's gettin in as echo fighters.. Elecman or Protoman or whoever was the Megaman AT could be added too, because now we got that Zero guy.
Or Protoman/Bass are the echo fighter and they were added to the final smash so that Megaman and whichever one could have the same final smash.

HairMythe

Smash Cadet

I feel like he's he's his own thing. Just like you wouldn't call Ike a clone of marth.
Yes he is. Every moves that was shown is based on Roy's, except for his up B, which is a variant of Ike's, and his Final Smash. And as Tougon stated, he's listed as Roy's echo.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Roy echo with an Ike recovery and a Lucina taunt (technically his, but the daughter joined Smash first so oh well)
Even though I agree, that's what most of us thought about Daisy too..
True, though atleast Daisy got to be in a main game and never stopped being in spin off titles (also the Daisy pallet swap for Peach was too much of a tease)...and they seem to want Birdo ignored unlike K Rool

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think the question is why they would add him in as a cameo at all if he was a newcomer. You need to consider that newcomers are chosen before stages are designed, and Captain Toad really doesn't need to be in New Donk City in any way, so when it came to designing the stage I can't see the reason they'd go "Let's have Captain Toad make an appearance here, he might be a newcomer, but he needs to be here either way."

To me it just seems like he makes a cameo there to have him in the game at all, it's just a neat way for him to be represented since he doesn't have a major role in the game.
Captain Toad being there is a reference to his actual spot in Mario Odyssey, and helps bringing more movement to a quiet stage.

And while he might not be in the base game, that cameo doesn't block him from being a DLC fighter, unlike AT or stage bosses, since we have already seen that he doesn't spawn every single time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Everyone is forgetting about Roll.

She's had her MM11 redesign shown off as a Nedroid before we even knew the game existed that's how marketable she is.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultduckhunt::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultsamus::ultridley::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultness::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultdoc:

I really can’t see them cutting everyone... Even though I tried playing with this list I just can’t see Smash Bros like other games were they cut 90% of the roster just to release it early. This game isn’t really about going back to a smaller number like others but more about growth in roster, stages, music and more then being rebooted.

Unless Nintendo wants to make a 3rd person Fighter game something like Overwatch.

Troykv

Smash Master
I've updated my most wanted list, so here are my reasons behind them:
  1. Geno: SMRPG was a really fun game and I thought Geno was an interesting concept of a character. Before I played it, I think I might have actually found out about Geno from Smash speculation. I didn't play it as a kid, it was closer to... early high school? I think. Either way, not only do I strongly like the character, I think that it has a good chance.
  2. Captain Falcon Echo: I'm one of the few people that actually genuinely likes the ideas of echos, even before Chrom blew everyone out of the water with their perception of them. I like the idea of being able to choose which character I want the moveset to be applied to- for instance, I'm most certainly picking Daisy over Peach, Damus over Samus, and Chrom over Roy (Ike). Additionally, I think Captain Falcon has one of my favorite movesets, so literally ANYBODY with his moveset would be pretty funny to me and, while I still love the captain, if it's absurd enough I might pick the echo. But not "over" the captain, though, because he's still cool. Long live the captain.
  3. Skull Kid: Obviously, specifically the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. I love the game he's from and I think, yet again, that the character is interesting. Without the mask, he was just some prankster, or petty thug (lol don't look into that too hard). With the mask, he was brainwashed into throwing the moon into the town. No big deal. I think he's likely, but not incredibly likely (like how I view Geno), but also I think Majora or even Skull Kid himself would make an incredible story mode boss to unlock Young Link with. (Or, Young Link and Skull Kid, because I'm sure you'd be able to fight playable characters as bosses in Story mode too.)
  4. Buzzwole: Out of all the Gen 7 Pokemon ideas, Buzzwole is my favorite. Won't happen- in fact, I actually expect Decidueye. Or, rather, If I didn't pick Buzzwole, I would have picked Decidueye. It's my favorite starter. Haha. But, in my head, Ultra Beasts are a signature of Gen 7 and I think they genuinely have a chance of having at least been considered, and Buzzwole is my favorite "realizable" fighter. (I think my favorite UB in general is Guzzlord).
  5. Paper Mario: The Mario RPG from my childhood. I actually really like Paper Mario 64! A lot of people like TTYD, and so do I, but PM64 holds a bit of a higher place in my heart. Would be a third Mario, but who cares anymore? He would play radically different anyway and potentially use gimmicks from his huge range of video games. (...Including the ones that make us all sad...)
  6. Goemon: A huuuuuuuuuuuge part of my childhood. Something that could have very well planted the seed in my head that I should learn Japanese. Also, what got me interested in Japanese mythology and history. Ganbare Goemon is a video game series turned Pachislot machine (haha, thanks Konami) that has a lot of humor, gigantic robot fights, yokai, and charm (imo) and it would be the *biggest* curveball if Goemon was even mentioned, let alone playable. We already have Konami newcomers in Simon and Richter, and the stage and the AT and etc. But if there ended up being a Goemon *TROPHY*, I would be incredibly happy. Though, I'm the type of person who can appreciate my characters becoming assist trophies, even, because the representation in SMASH BROTHERS of all things, makes me happy.
tl;dr: You hate my list

Thank you, this has been an unreasonably long ToasterBrains's Thoughts post.
You remind me a need to actualize my most wanted list after K.Rool's and Simon/Richter's reveal... Well; I don't have many characters I really want after this point xDU.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The great thing about Ultimate for me is that since basically everything I love is there already, I don't need to fear a reboot. I just straight up wouldn't buy a game with a severely downsized roster when I could just continue playing Ultimate. Why opt for a downgrade?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m shocked some people here are rethinking about Smash going down the MvCi route...
It's less MvCI and more MvC3, since that game, coming after MvC2, never had Ruby Heart, Amingo and Son Son come back, among others.

Roy echo with an Ike recovery and a Lucina taunt (technically his, but the daughter joined Smash first so oh well)

True, though atleast Daisy got to be in a main game and never stopped being in spin off titles (also the Daisy pallet swap for Peach was too much of a tease)...and they seem to want Birdo ignored unlike K Rool
On the other hand, Birdo had slightly more appearances than Daisy in major entries and major spin-offs (including the much-lauded Super Mario RPG).

I mean, it's pretty telling that Birdo showed up in Captain Rainbow, a game specifically about underdog/forgotten Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

To be honest, Roy Echo fits really well. Early Smash 4 statements of Sakurai said that no matter how much the development team tried with Chrom, he always ended up being a inbetween version of Marth and Ike. Later they added Roy, who feels just like that honestly. If Chrom has a little less speed than Roy, and his sword works like Lucina's as it should- there's the perfect inbetween version of Marth and Ike. Even if Alm also REALLY fits that role.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
The great thing about Ultimate for me is that since basically everything I love is there already, I don't need to fear a reboot. I just straight up wouldn't buy a game with a severely downsized roster when I could just continue playing Ultimate. Why opt for a downgrade?
Which is why I really hope they have extended support for ultimate for years to come instead of a reboot. everybody is talking about a reboot, but I see no upsides to it. Either you have a reboot game that plays like ultimate with less characters or you have a game that has really different gameplay, which risks alienating the fan base by changing core mechanics.

gurtbilbo

Smash Rookie
So with Rathalos and Dracula all but confirmed that they are bosses in a new single player mode, what other bosses would people like to see included?
Mine are an ultra beast either Buzzwole or Guzzlord
Lord Fredrik
Mama Broodal
And Void Termina

Enchess

Smash Lord
View attachment 157038

This is what the final roster would look like if that leak is real. Throwing Heihachi in as the Namco rep because, c'mon, it's ****ing Heihachi.

It looks odd.
I'd be happy with this roster. There are more third parties than I'd like, but 2 newly rep'd Nintendo series added (3 total for Ultimate) and assuming Heihachi isn't the Bandai rep the choices would be non-offensive.

Terra was always a more "deserving" FF rep than Cloud imo, and I even like Cloud more. She'd also likely come with a Celes echo, who I always considered the real main character of FF6.

Obviously I'd be super happy about Isaac. I've never been on the Sable train, but he'd still be hype for me because he's such an interesting choice.

I don't even have an issue with Soren. He's not from Awakening or Fates and honestly any pre-Awakening FE character will excite me after Chrom made Awakening bias feel a bit ridiculous.
I just looked at the Poke Ball list and noticed a severe lack of Gen 5 Pokemon.
View attachment 157051
Unova introduced the most Pokemon out of any Generation and yet it has only 8 Poke Ball summons. I think the amount of Alola summons has already surpassed the amount of Unova's summons.
This is not okay
I'm one of those Gen Oners who typically will take more gen one over anything else. I wasnt really a fan of the series, just Gen 1. I tried the new games', but they never felt as good to me....until Gen V. Seriously blew me away. It brought back all the magic I felt in elementary school playing Red. Its my favorite Pokemon gen by a healthy margin. I don't understand the hate I see it get. It has fantastic Pokemon designs, a great map, fun story, and it sucks that it seems doomed to get swept under the rug.
I just want someone newer than summer 2016 so Corrin won't be the youngest character on the roster. That doesn't sit well with me at all.
Is 2014 new enough? You could always support Yuri, the Fatal Frame protag from the Wii U.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee made his debut in 1996, so he's pretty old like Richter and K. Rool. And Elma's chance is pretty dead at this point with the clear heavy focus on majorly popular character for all our unique newcomers (with even the likes of bonus characters like Chrom and Daisy being fanservice) and I don't exactly expect them to follow up Simon and K. Rool with someone like Elma. Honestly, the only new guys I really think have a chance at this point for the base roster are Isabelle (she didn't get so prominent for nothing) and Gen 7 Pokemon (because Pokemon is a crowd-pleaser).
I’m honestly betting that Elma gets revealed pretty soon and you’ll end up revising your words.

Elma definitely isn’t dead at all. To think that after the direct is an extreme example of statement shift.

D

Deleted member

In terms of Final Fantasy representation for Smash, I do recall that Sakurai stated that they could've used either Terra or Bartz for the Wii-U/3DS Smash during an interview with Tetsuya Nomura for Famitsu:

"Nomura: "It was an opportunity for Cloud to appear in Smash, how could I turn it down?"

Sakurai: "This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try."

Nomura: "When we first talked, I asked “are you sure you’re okay with Cloud?” He’s not a character from a new game, after all."

Sakurai: "But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it’s hard to come up with a choice that’s not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn’t know who those characters are."

Source: https://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakur...ve-used-terra-or-bartz-as-the-final-fantasy-c

So other than Cloud or any other characters from Final Fantasy VII, if you were asked for another Final Fantasy character, who would you want it to be for Smash Ultimate?
Terra Branford from FF6. She can use all the magic from the FF series up to that point, she properly has a Nintendo appereance in a mainline FF game, FF6 is one of the most beloved games of the SNES and maybe even all time, and she's best girl.

That is, if we have to get one, which i dobut since FF is only getting 2 tracks so..............

Anyway, if we are getting any Square character other than Cloud, im banking on Geno.

D

Deleted member

I'm one of those Gen Oners who typically will take more gen one over anything else. I wasnt really a fan of the series, just Gen 1. I tried the new games', but they never felt as good to me....until Gen V. Seriously blew me away. It brought back all the magic I felt in elementary school playing Red. Its my favorite Pokemon gen by a healthy margin. I don't understand the hate I see it get. It has fantastic Pokemon designs, a great map, fun story, and it sucks that it seems doomed to get swept under the rug.
Platinum was the first game in the series that I played, so I never thought I'd find a game I like more than Platinum, and then I played Black 2. At least Unova Pokemon League is back. That's something, right?

Just give me N's Battle Theme if we're not getting a Gen V mon

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Which is why I really hope they have extended support for ultimate for years to come instead of a reboot. everybody is talking about a reboot, but I see no upsides to it. Either you have a reboot game that plays like ultimate with less characters or you have a game that has really different gameplay, which risks alienating the fan base by changing core mechanics.
Occasional DLC is the best possible outcome. Just look at Kirby Star Allies, it's still planned to get Dream Friends.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So going back to leaks...

Vergeben is now thinking Isabelle is an echo according to one of his sources. Which makes her the first echo to be "leaked" by a credible leaker.

And that NeoGAF leak is worth keeping in mind. I don't quite understand the Prince Sable inclusion, as every other pick seems picked with popularity in mind, so he really stands out as an oddball. Soren is a weird pick for a Robin echo, as if echoes are added late in development, I really think they would go for Celica. But the dagger idea is a neat flashback to FE9 (even though Soren only gets like 3 strength on average at max level...). I admittedly know nothing about Final Fantasy, but with Cloud's Smash universe being FF7 specifically (and not just FF), it would be weird. Though I guess the image could always be changed, and maybe it isn't changed to just "Final Fantasy" to hide additional characters. The rest of the roster is pretty cool though.

Overwatch character would be hype. There are so many characters I would be cool with having.

And my picks for a reboot roster would be:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultvillager:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultsamus::ultpit::ultolimar::ultshulk:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultike::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
30 characters.

Though I feel if we did get a reboot, it would probably be done under the "games as service" model and eventually bring back everyone through free content updates (ala Overwatch).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So with Rathalos and Dracula all but confirmed that they are bosses in a new single player mode, what other bosses would people like to see included?
Lord Fredrik
Mama Broodal
And Void Termina
Guzzlord (plus its one of the few Pokémon in the games outright stated to have murdered (or in its case, ate) people)
Dr. Eggman
Medeus (though Duma would also work well and would get some SoV stuff in)
Tiki Tong
Great Shugguth (not gonna happen but still)
Emperor Bulblax

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lord Fredrik
Mama Broodal
And Void Termina
Hard to think of some honestly. But I'll give it a go.

-Calamity Ganon :ultlink:
-Majora :ultyounglink: (if he's not downright a Final Smash of Skull Kid)
-Dark Matter :ultkirby:
-Rayquaza / Mega Rayquaza :ultpikachu:
-Andross :ultfox:
-Hades (if he's not playable) :ultpit:
-Porky (if he's not playable yet again, otherwise Giygas) :ultness:
-Black Knight Zelgius (maybe with some enemy Daein units) :ultike:
-Gharnef / + Medeus :ultmarth:
-Grima :ultrobin:ultlucina:
-Anankos :ultcorrin:
-Duma *insert Alm / Celica emoji*
-Queen Metroid :ultsamus:
-Giga Bowser :ultbowser: (yes I want this)
-Omega Ridley :ultridley: (and then you unlock Ridley)
-A giant version of King K.Rool with a Kremling Army :ultdk::ultdiddy: (and then you unlock him)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm gonna share my take on what characters we'll get in Ultimate because I feel like it. :p

Geno - With the deconfirmation of both Waluigi and Captain Toad, he and Paper Mario are essentially the only reasonable choices left for a true Mario newcomer that's not a clone. Given that both would likely use a button timing gimmick since Super Mario RPG and the first two Paper Mario games did that, it would quite literally be one or the other if we get any Mario newcomer. But I think Geno is more likely since he did consider putting him back in Brawl. Square Enix also already have a rep for their biggest franchise, so their next one can be from any of their franchises now.

Dixie Kong - The addition of Chrom showing that characters don't need to be 1:1 as long as every move copies someone's opens up the possibilities for her being a Diddy Echo. Remove the tail infinite jab since she has no tail, give her DK's up and down specials (with the ponytail used in the animations) and you could have a decently represented Echo Fighter.

Impa - Same logic as Dixie here. You could give her Greninja's side special (since she's a shadow sage in OoT) and maybe something more basic as her up special (maybe something like Simon's or Roy's?) to make her stand out a little more from Sheik. I think she's really likely, especially with the Echo Fighter reveals we did get.

Skull Kid - One of the few Smash 4 Assist Trophies who's still MIA, his chances get higher and higher the more reveals we get. Combined with Zelda characters minus Toon Link no longer tied down to a single game and his overall popularity, this makes his chances better than they've ever been. Moon Assist Trophy could hurt that a bit, but we could get a cinematic version of it for his own, so it's a moot point imo.

Bandana Dee - Likelier than ever since many newcomer reveals were fueled by popularity. He's also notably the most recurring playable Kirby character NOT in Smash yet and the one character left from the Return to Dream Land quartet.

Incineroar - With the deconfirmation of Mimikyu and still no news of Decidueye or Lycanroc, he's still as likely as ever and the one I personally support since a wrestler archetype has yet to be fully delved into for Smash, which is strange since it's a very common fighting game archetype. He also gets a lot of merch, a major appearance in a movie, some appearances in the anime and Ash getting a Litten. If all of that stuff was already planned by the time Sakurai got to see Gen 7 designs, this severly boosts Incineroar's chances, leaving only Dusk Lycanroc as an actual competitor. And even then, timing could be more in favor of the John Cena kitty.

Elma - I think she's the most likely Xenoblade newcomer (unless Sakurai throws us a curveball by giving us Reyn or something), but given that many newcomers are influenced by the ballot and the time Xenoblade X was released being right when the ballot began, meaning she didn't quite have the years of buildup leading to her having a ton of votes like Ridley, K. Rool or Bayonetta, that's probably not saying much. However, with 103 stages being possibly the final stage count (because I doubt Sakurai would just drop a precise number only to add more later on), it'd feel wrong to have Elma without a Xenoblade X stage. I think she might not make it in.

Rex and Pyra - Given the situation of when the project plan for Ultimate was made, these two have a very low chance of making it into the base game, if any. Their one chance is DLC, if there's any this time around which... why wouldn't it? But we can't know if DLC will happen until the game's done, so for now, let's focus on the base game.

Any ARMS character - Same situation as Rex and Pyra.

Mach Rider - My personal pick on who the NES rep might be and the only possible choice left aside from Excitebike. With the stage list being likely final, Mach Rider benefits from not having any location that we can consider iconic, meaning a stage might not be a priority for him. Not to mention that toy gun Sakurai is looking for could be related to him. Mach Rider also has the benefit of potentially working as a Falcon Echo with a bike side B (like Wario). Either way, it's either Mach Rider, Excitebike or no NES rep.

Excitebike - Can see them working without a stage, so just like Mach Rider, they're not held back by the likely final stage count. However, as creative as someone constantly riding a bike would be (can imagine tricks working as aerials), what would the specials be? Sakurai can definitely make it work, no doubt on that, but I personally feel Mach Rider has more going for him. If it's not Mach Rider though, he's gonna be the NES rep... if we get any.

Shadow - Like Skull Kid, he's an Assist Trophy who's still currently MIA and very popular. He can work well as a Sonic Echo, especially since Echoes don't need to be 1:1 with their originals now. Give him a teleport up B like Mewtwo's for a more versatile recovery at the cost of losing the BnB up throw up B up air kill combo, and then give him Witch Time as a nod to his Assist Trophy roles. The last one would radically change Shadow's playstyle, making him rely less on camping and more on a bait and punish playstyle and more tolerable than Bayo since he'd lack a reliable kill combo.

Banjo-Kazooie - Let's be real here. All the people who seriously believes Microsoft will pick a dormant franchise whose last game was a commercial failure over one of their frontrunner franchises like Halo and Minecraft or a recently revived franchise like Killer Instinct are either delusional or lying to themselves.

Anyone else y'all want me to overanalyze? :V

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's less MvCI and more MvC3, since that game, coming after MvC2, never had Ruby Heart, Amingo and Son Son come back, among others.
On the other hand, Birdo had slightly more appearances than Daisy in major entries and major spin-offs (including the much-lauded Super Mario RPG).

I mean, it's pretty telling that Birdo showed up in Captain Rainbow, a game specifically about underdog/forgotten Nintendo characters.
True, though atleast MvC3 brought in characters people would want like Deadpool, Thor, Zero, and Dante to make up for some losses

As for Birdo, being seen in a forgotten Nintendo game about forgotten Nintendo characters doesn’t help (and her last appearance being Minecraft is an oof)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Birdo could honestly work as a Yoshi echo with Dedede neutral special, with the star retextured as a pink egg.

Suck 'em in and shoot 'em out

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And people thought Gengar was random.

Though how could they find Richter's data but not Simon's?
Wasn’t that also the one that mentioned Gardevoir and (ugh) Gothitelle?

There was a leak earlier that had Gardevoir and Gothitelle too, I instantly discard any leak with Gothitelle

and it was going so well too with Elma and Fiora as her echo...and then they soiled it with Gothitelle

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I filled out that "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Wishes" template.
I didn't know who to pick for "Will get their chances another day" because honestly I couldn't think of anyone whose biggest chance isn't in Ultimate, but hey. So, I picked someone who I am pretty confident won't get in this time, but maybe will be a future curveball, that I still want.

Smash Wishlist.png

Last edited:

gurtbilbo

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna share my take on what characters we'll get in Ultimate because I feel like it. :p

Geno - With the deconfirmation of both Waluigi and Captain Toad, he and Paper Mario are essentially the only reasonable choices left for a true Mario newcomer that's not a clone. Given that both would likely use a button timing gimmick since Super Mario RPG and the first two Paper Mario games did that, it would quite literally be one or the other if we get any Mario newcomer. But I think Geno is more likely since he did consider putting him back in Brawl. Square Enix also already have a rep for their biggest franchise, so their next one can be from any of their franchises now.

Dixie Kong - The addition of Chrom showing that characters don't need to be 1:1 as long as every move copies someone's opens up the possibilities for her being a Diddy Echo. Remove the tail infinite jab since she has no tail, give her DK's up and down specials (with the ponytail used in the animations) and you could have a decently represented Echo Fighter.

Impa - Same logic as Dixie here. You could give her Greninja's side special (since she's a shadow sage in OoT) and maybe something more basic as her up special (maybe something like Simon's or Roy's?) to make her stand out a little more from Sheik. I think she's really likely, especially with the Echo Fighter reveals we did get.

Skull Kid - One of the few Smash 4 Assist Trophies who's still MIA, his chances get higher and higher the more reveals we get. Combined with Zelda characters minus Toon Link no longer tied down to a single game and his overall popularity, this makes his chances better than they've ever been. Moon Assist Trophy could hurt that a bit, but we could get a cinematic version of it for his own, so it's a moot point imo.

Bandana Dee - Likelier than ever since many newcomer reveals were fueled by popularity. He's also notably the most recurring playable Kirby character NOT in Smash yet and the one character left from the Return to Dream Land quartet.

Incineroar - With the deconfirmation of Mimikyu and still no news of Decidueye or Lycanroc, he's still as likely as ever and the one I personally support since a wrestler archetype has yet to be fully delved into for Smash, which is strange since it's a very common fighting game archetype. He also gets a lot of merch, a major appearance in a movie, some appearances in the anime and Ash getting a Litten. If all of that stuff was already planned by the time Sakurai got to see Gen 7 designs, this severly boosts Incineroar's chances, leaving only Dusk Lycanroc as an actual competitor. And even then, timing could be more in favor of the John Cena kitty.

Elma - I think she's the most likely Xenoblade newcomer (unless Sakurai throws us a curveball by giving us Reyn or something), but given that many newcomers are influenced by the ballot and the time Xenoblade X was released being right when the ballot began, meaning she didn't quite have the years of buildup leading to her having a ton of votes, that's not saying much. However, with 103 stages being possibly the final stage count (because I doubt Sakurai would just drop a precise number only to add more later on), it'd feel wrong to have Elma without a Xenoblade X stage. I think she might not make it in.

Rex and Pyra - Given the situation of when the project plan for Ultimate was made, these two have a very low chance of making it into the base game, if any. Their one chance is DLC, if there's any this time around which... why wouldn't it? But we can't know if DLC will happen until the game's done, so for now, let's focus on the base game.

Any ARMS character - Same situation as Rex and Pyra.

Mach Rider - My personal pick on who the NES rep might be and the only possible choice left aside from Excitebike. With the stage list being likely final, Mach Rider benefits from not having any location that we can consider iconic, meaning a stage might not be a priority for him. Not to mention that toy gun Sakurai is looking for could be related to him. Mach Rider also has the benefit of potentially working as a Falcon Echo with a bike side B (like Wario). Either way, it's either Mach Rider, Excitebike or no NES rep.

Excitebike - Can see them working without a stage, so just like Mach Rider, they're not held back by the likely final stage count. However, as creative as someone constantly riding a bike would be (can imagine tricks working as aerials), what would the specials be? Sakurai can definitely make it work, no doubt on that, but I personally feel Mach Rider has more going for him. If it's not Mach Rider though, he's gonna be the NES rep... if we get any.

Shadow - Like Skull Kid, he's an Assist Trophy who's still currently MIA and very popular. He can work well as a Sonic Echo, especially since Echoes don't need to be 1:1 with their originals now. Give him a teleport up B like Mewtwo's for a more versatile recovery at the cost of losing the BnB up throw up B up air kill combo, and then give him Witch Time as a nod to his Assist Trophy roles. The last one would radically change Shadow's playstyle, making him rely less on camping and more on a bait and punish playstyle and more tolerable than Bayo since he'd lack a reliable kill combo.

Banjo-Kazooie - Let's be real here. All the people who seriously believes Microsoft will pick a dormant franchise whose last game was a commercial failure over one of their frontrunner franchises like Halo and Minecraft or a recently revived franchise like Killer Instinct are either delusional or lying to themselves.

Anyone else y'all want me to overanalyze? :V
If you had to add a gen 7 Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom