• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think we are more likely to get a King of Fighters character than Overwatch, and Mii Costume representation helps.
In all seriousness, I wonder what fighting game characters not from Smash could get added if possible. Street Fighter yes, King of Fighters yes, Mortal Kombat low (people want the blood most likely), Tekken yes.
I could see King of Fighters happening, since Sakurai mentioned that he played an entry in the arcades in his youth, and felt bad at owning a player that clearly was a beginner.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...hiro-sakurai-35-years-gaming-history-nintendo

If that gets in, it'd be one step closer to seeing my dream SNK inclusion a reality.

Metal Slug. MISSION START!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Out of curiosity, how does everyone feel about Captain Toad's chances at getting in? I still have him on my prediction roster, but now I feel less confident in his inclusion. I was considering replacing him with either Isaac or Ayumi Tachibana.

D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity, how does everyone feel about Captain Toad's chances at getting in? I still have him on my prediction roster, but now I feel less confident in his inclusion. I was considering replacing him with either Isaac or Ayumi Tachibana.
He appears in the background of New Donk City Hall.
He's dead.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Transforming characters are still their own characters, so I can't see development team shoving them to the same slot to artificially lessen the number of fighters.
I also can't see them prioritising Mother and Zero just because they are old, but who knows.
That's why I said characters like Villager and Inkling would replace those franchises at the end of that whole statement.

And yeah, RIP Captain Toad.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Yeah, I agree. With the elephants in the room potentially all being out of the way, people would finally give-much needed attention to the lesser-lauded Nintendo characters, and curious omissions. With Rool's moveset in particular definitely seeming to be a laundry list of what was wanted the most, this paints a bright future of what fan support can bring.
I honestly think that this is a very good point to be made. Mostly since I think that, like K.Rool, Deathborn has the potential to be a character who's traits and moves make him unique from his counterpart instead of being a clone or somebody who just has a simular moveset.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Because they seem ****ing conveniant, but no one really wants, support;

Ken Masters - Ms. Pac-Man.
Yeah that's the stuff that annoys me with this whole echo fighter craze. People who say they support the idea of certain echo fighters only because it seems obvious and would never support or want such a character otherwise.

People's desires to see a character they love seemed so pure before. "I really love x!" or "I think x series could use more love." But now it's "Who could be an echo fighter for x?"

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
SNK getting something in Smash would make some sense, they don't have a whole lot on Nintendo systems but they're legends anyway. It's just a matter of who. Terry, Kyo, Athena, Haoumaru, Nakoruru... Metal Slug (the tank), somehow

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yeah that's the stuff that annoys me with this whole echo fighter craze. People who say they support the idea of certain echo fighters only because it seems obvious and would never support or want such a character otherwise.

People's desires to see a character they love seemed so pure before. "I really love x!" or "I think x series could use more love." But now it's "Who could be an echo fighter for x?"
Reminds me of some reactions to Chrom. I didn't see too much hype around his inclusion (there was hype, though), which could be because of what you described. Perhaps it also is FE and Awakening getting older, but still.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda think they could do it with newcomers and even echoes if their model was detailed enough and they’re not an AT or victory screen cameo

With the exception of Captain Toad, cause I’m sure Sakurai knows he can’t jump and would want to stay faithful to that. Sounds a bit hypocritical I know but that’s just my take

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Once again, Toon Link was a veteran.
I don't think they'd do this with newcomers.
Why not tho? A newcomer is the same as a veteran once they are playable.
Besides, we have already seen gameplay footage where the Captain doesn't show, meaning that his cameo can be turned off.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
You know, unlike Pauline and all, Captain Toad DOES have Toadette or a member of the Brigade to fill in for him.

Albeit, that's literally on the stage select so I doubt it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He might get in as DLC. If not, well, see ya next game for him. :ohwell:

SNK getting something in Smash would make some sense, they don't have a whole lot on Nintendo systems but they're legends anyway. It's just a matter of who. Terry, Kyo, Athena, Haoumaru, Nakoruru... Metal Slug (the tank), somehow
I didn't mean the tank, but those who drive it. :p Not sure who they'd go with for that, maybe Marco/Fio with the other PF squadmates as alts, or maybe pull a hat trick by having Ralf/Clark/Leona being the bases instead (since Ikari Warriors is older, and Leona's a noteworthy KOF character), with the PF as alts.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
In the story, it's revealed Terra is half Esper, Espers are magical creatures used for summons. In battle, Terra can use her Esper form and her spells become a lot more devastating
It also looks like she uses a sword too along with her magic. That, plus she has what's basically a super form? I would love to have this character in Smash as a new FF newcomer.

If she could use her Esper form as a down B like you said and transform into it for a limited time that would be amazing. So far the closest thing to a character, with a power up form/super form, that's not a Final Smash is Cloud, and Lucario. So if Terra could fill that gap, I'd want her in.

This place keeps opening my eyes, to more potential newcomers.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
For heaven's sake, there's ways around the jumping! How many times do we have to list them?

Not that it matters since the dream is dead, but still.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean the tank, but those who drive it. :p Not sure who they'd go with for that, maybe Marco/Fio with the other PF squadmates as alts, or maybe pull a hat trick by having Ralf/Clark/Leona being the bases instead (since Ikari Warriors is older, and Leona's a noteworthy KOF character), with the PF as alts.
Yeah I know, Marco and Fio have even been in fighting games before, I just thought because of the guns thing that the tank itself would have a better chance. Or, I guess they could just use the other weapons

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I kinda think they could do it with newcomers and even echoes if their model was detailed enough and they’re not an AT or victory screen cameo

With the exception of Captain Toad, cause I’m sure Sakurai knows he can’t jump and would want to stay faithful to that. Sounds a bit hypocritical I know but that’s just my take
Except that he can jump.

Minute 3:45, actual footage from Captain Toad
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6afQaRUR2mg

Minute 25:45, from Mario Galaxy 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=alfijGc2cdo&t=1550s

The only reason he couldn't jump in Treasure Tracker (besides game design/game balance just like how it is in Pikmin) was his heavy backpack. Just give him a smaller one and a terrible jump(or my personal idea: making his moveset about growing things in and out of the backpack in order to change weight, speed, jump...) and he is good to go.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Besides, we have already seen gameplay footage where the Captain doesn't show, meaning that his cameo can be turned off.
I think the thing is, when you have a new character you’d want to introduce them fully fleshed out and THEN say, “When he’s / she’s not used on this stage, you’ll find them here!”

They could always pull a surprise reveal but I don’t really see why they would at this point. Personally I just don’t think it makes sense to do it that way for a newcomer, especially when the role they picked seems fitting for the character if they weren’t playable. To me it gives the New Donk City stage more life in that it includes the Odyssey, Captain Toad, and Pauline with her band.

EDIT: There’s no indication that Captain Toad showing up in New Donk City can be “turned off”. Just because he doesn’t show up at one doesn’t mean he doesn’t at all. I’m sure the Odyssey isn’t up at the top of City Hall every time either. That’s supreme straw grasping.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It also looks like she uses a sword too along with her magic. That, plus she has what's basically a super form? I would love to have this character in Smash as a new FF newcomer.

If she could use her Esper form as a down B like you said and transform into it for a limited time that would be amazing. So far the closest thing to a character, with a power up form/super form, that's not a Final Smash is Cloud, and Lucario. So if Terra could fill that gap, I'd want her in.

This place keeps opening my eyes, to more potential newcomers.
Yeah, people should learn to try to sell their characters on what they can do. Hell, I'm pretty sure you can make people go "Ok that IS pretty cool" about characters they don't like

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think the thing is, when you have a new character you’d want to introduce them fully fleshed out and THEN say, “When he’s / she’s not used on this stage, you’ll find them here!”

They could always pull a surprise reveal but I don’t really see why they would at this point. Personally I just don’t think it makes sense to do it that way for a newcomer, especially when the role they picked seems fitting for the character if they weren’t playable. To me it gives the New Donk City stage more life in that it includes the Odyssey, Captain Toad, and Pauline with her band.
Well, Sakurai made an entire "generic Smash" skin to Little's Mac stage before he was revealed. He can do this foreshadowing.
Also it's true that he fits that role, and brings more life to the stage, but that doesn't outright disconfirm him period. Especially for future DLC.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I know, Marco and Fio have even been in fighting games before, I just thought because of the guns thing that the tank itself would have a better chance. Or, I guess they could just use the other weapons
Well, obviously. Even without the pistol and heavy machine gun (unless Bayonetta got them to be more lax on what a "realistic firearm" is), the PF has a metric ton of exotic ballistic weapons, a flame thrower, knives, a sword, an axe and even a goddamn taser, of all things. The series is also overall depicted as cartoonier than Metal Gear.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
While I would feel... Awkward having another final fantasy Vii totally original rep, I think I would be ok with an echo ... Maybe Tifa Is the Captain falcon echo we need? xD

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the question is why they would add him in as a cameo at all if he was a newcomer. You need to consider that newcomers are chosen before stages are designed, and Captain Toad really doesn't need to be in New Donk City in any way, so when it came to designing the stage I can't see the reason they'd go "Let's have Captain Toad make an appearance here, he might be a newcomer, but he needs to be here either way."

To me it just seems like he makes a cameo there to have him in the game at all, it's just a neat way for him to be represented since he doesn't have a major role in the game.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

I honestly doubt these characters count as those, though.

Ken is one of the most popular fighting game characters ever, people are just supporting him more now since echoes open up more opportunity for him to get in the game.

I've had people tell me they want Ms. Pac-Man in the game as a skin or clone since SSB4. They're definitely not as popular as Ken, but people aren't wanting echoes just for the sake of it. Most people actually want these characters but had no reason to ask before since they would be clones (especially the 3rd party ones) and thus pretty unlikely.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
A third of the roster, at this point, would be around Melee's size of the roster, and remember how many clones that game had?

For Mario, I'd expect exactly the same characters, with Dr. Mario being replaced with BJ or Rosa, tbh. 4 or 5.

Zelda? Ugh... As much as I wouldn't like it, the main three would take priority, with either Shiek being shoved back into Zelda's slot, or a clone character being the fourth rep, if any. 3 or 4.

Pokémon? Same roster, but maybe take Pichu out and replace him with Lucario or the Trainer. Four.

Kirby? I expect at least Kirby and one of the other two, with the main three at most. Likely two.

Metroid? Samus with a Zamus transform and Ridley. That's really all we need. Two.

DK? Oh... This is a toughie. Donkey Kong and... I wanna say Diddy will be there too, and MAYBE K. Rool or Dixie? I don't see it going beyond 3. Likely two.

Yoshi? We all already know, the poor guy. 1.

Star Fox? Yeah, two IF we're even lucky. Likely 1.

F-Zero? Original 12 have the nostalgia and immunity idol, so I hope he gets to stay. 1, if any.

Mother? See above. 1, if any.

That's a low-end of 21, and a high-end of 25 characters already.

Maybe we'll see Marth too, and MAYBE Pit, Inklings, and Villager if they swap a few of the more niche series in favor of newer successes.

This is how I feel. I'm willing to take off one from Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon to make room for more, just not sure if the developers would.
For me, this is how I can see a possible reboot roster going down:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus:
:ultness::ultmarth::ultrobin:ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwario:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultmiifighters:?

Super Mario would retain Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. All four are majorly iconic characters that I don't see being dropped.

Donkey Kong is still a popular series with a strong history. I can't see them dropping below two.

The Legend of Zelda would likely retain it's main Triforce wielders. Maybe replace Ganondorf with Ganon if they want more newcomers.

Metroid I can see only having one character. If they had a second, likely Ridley or a new antagonist from Metroid Prime 4 for a newcomer.

Earthbound would likely stay, seeing as its been in Smash since the beginning. Don't think that'd be enough to keep Lucas, though. Only Ness.

Fire Emblem would likely have two characters. Marth being the face of the series, although Robin could be replaced with anyone.

F-Zero would undoubtedly keep Captain Falcon, as he's practically been immortalized in Smash Bros. He wouldn't be cut.

Yoshi would likely keep just Yoshi himself. He's the only one out of the starting eight from Smash 64 I see at risk, but I don't see him leaving at all.

Kirby I could see retaining at two characters. King Dedede would likely be the character to return with Kirby over Meta Knight.

Star Fox is still a popular series with a strong history in Smash. Only Fox returning is possible, but I have a hard time seeing Falco cut.

Wario would likely just keep Wario himself. It's possible he could be dropped, but I don't see it happening.

Pokemon would have the most variable cast. Everyone but Pikachu is at risk of being replaced, even Jigglypuff.

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's largest series, and I have a hard time seeing the series be dropped from Smash.

Pikmin is a series that could be dropped, but I think it'd end up returning.

Xenoblade is a growing series with growing popularity. I don't know if we'd see the series leave Smash.

Splatoon is a booming series, and I highly doubt we'd see the series leave Smash.

Mii's are still a big part of Nintendo's history, and although them leaving is possible, I can still see them returning.

The question mark would be a toss-up between Sonic and Spring Man. Sonic since he's the face of the 3rd Parties in Smash, but Spring Man if the reboot focused solely on Nintendo properties and they wanted to bring in a fresh newcomer.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I've updated my most wanted list, so here are my reasons behind them:
  1. Geno: SMRPG was a really fun game and I thought Geno was an interesting concept of a character. Before I played it, I think I might have actually found out about Geno from Smash speculation. I didn't play it as a kid, it was closer to... early high school? I think. Either way, not only do I strongly like the character, I think that it has a good chance.
  2. Captain Falcon Echo: I'm one of the few people that actually genuinely likes the ideas of echos, even before Chrom blew everyone out of the water with their perception of them. I like the idea of being able to choose which character I want the moveset to be applied to- for instance, I'm most certainly picking Daisy over Peach, Damus over Samus, and Chrom over Roy (Ike). Additionally, I think Captain Falcon has one of my favorite movesets, so literally ANYBODY with his moveset would be pretty funny to me and, while I still love the captain, if it's absurd enough I might pick the echo. But not "over" the captain, though, because he's still cool. Long live the captain.
  3. Skull Kid: Obviously, specifically the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. I love the game he's from and I think, yet again, that the character is interesting. Without the mask, he was just some prankster, or petty thug (lol don't look into that too hard). With the mask, he was brainwashed into throwing the moon into the town. No big deal. I think he's likely, but not incredibly likely (like how I view Geno), but also I think Majora or even Skull Kid himself would make an incredible story mode boss to unlock Young Link with. (Or, Young Link and Skull Kid, because I'm sure you'd be able to fight playable characters as bosses in Story mode too.)
  4. Buzzwole: Out of all the Gen 7 Pokemon ideas, Buzzwole is my favorite. Won't happen- in fact, I actually expect Decidueye. Or, rather, If I didn't pick Buzzwole, I would have picked Decidueye. It's my favorite starter. Haha. But, in my head, Ultra Beasts are a signature of Gen 7 and I think they genuinely have a chance of having at least been considered, and Buzzwole is my favorite "realizable" fighter. (I think my favorite UB in general is Guzzlord).
  5. Paper Mario: The Mario RPG from my childhood. I actually really like Paper Mario 64! A lot of people like TTYD, and so do I, but PM64 holds a bit of a higher place in my heart. Would be a third Mario, but who cares anymore? He would play radically different anyway and potentially use gimmicks from his huge range of video games. (...Including the ones that make us all sad...)
  6. Goemon: A huuuuuuuuuuuge part of my childhood. Something that could have very well planted the seed in my head that I should learn Japanese. Also, what got me interested in Japanese mythology and history. Ganbare Goemon is a video game series turned Pachislot machine (haha, thanks Konami) that has a lot of humor, gigantic robot fights, yokai, and charm (imo) and it would be the *biggest* curveball if Goemon was even mentioned, let alone playable. We already have Konami newcomers in Simon and Richter, and the stage and the AT and etc. But if there ended up being a Goemon *TROPHY*, I would be incredibly happy. Though, I'm the type of person who can appreciate my characters becoming assist trophies, even, because the representation in SMASH BROTHERS of all things, makes me happy.
tl;dr: You hate my list

Thank you, this has been an unreasonably long ToasterBrains's Thoughts post.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus:
:ultness::ultmarth::ultrobin:ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwario:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultmiifighters:?

Super Mario would retain Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. All four are majorly iconic characters that I don't see being dropped.

Donkey Kong is still a popular series with a strong history. I can't see them dropping below two.

The Legend of Zelda would likely retain it's main Triforce wielders. Maybe replace Ganondorf with Ganon if they want more newcomers.

Metroid I can see only having one character. If they had a second, likely Ridley or a new antagonist from Metroid Prime 4 for a newcomer.

Earthbound would likely stay, seeing as its been in Smash since the beginning. Don't think that'd be enough to keep Lucas, though. Only Ness.

Fire Emblem would likely have two characters. Marth being the face of the series, although Robin could be replaced with anyone.

F-Zero would undoubtedly keep Captain Falcon, as he's practically been immortalized in Smash Bros. He wouldn't be cut.

Yoshi would likely keep just Yoshi himself. He's the only one out of the starting eight from Smash 64 I see at risk, but I don't see him leaving at all.

Kirby I could see retaining at two characters. King Dedede would likely be the character to return with Kirby over Meta Knight.

Star Fox is still a popular series with a strong history in Smash. Only Fox returning is possible, but I have a hard time seeing Falco cut.

Wario would likely just keep Wario himself. It's possible he could be dropped, but I don't see it happening.

Pokemon would have the most variable cast. Everyone but Pikachu is at risk of being replaced, even Jigglypuff.

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's largest series, and I have a hard time seeing the series be dropped from Smash.

Xenoblade is a growing series with growing popularity. I don't know if we'd see the series leave Smash.

Splatoon is a booming series, and I highly doubt we'd see the series leave Smash.

Mii's are still a big part of Nintendo's history, and although them leaving is possible, I can still see them returning.

The question mark would be a toss-up between Sonic and Spring Man. Sonic since he's the face of the 3rd Parties in Smash, but Spring Man if the reboot focused solely on Nintendo properties and they wanted to bring in a fresh newcomer.
Yeah, you pretty much have my list, except I forgot about Wario and Olimar.

Still cool though, as I only sajd they'd replace them IF they felt like it, especially given their Smash presence and legacy in Mother's case. I can see them all being there, or Nintendo making a few sacrifices.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I'd actually be pretty happy with this. Except I think Mewtwo would be in the roster, And i don't think Jigglypuff would be cut. Smash Bros. made her very popular.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
With Waluigi disconfirmed, and with Captain Toad's unfortunate presence as a background character, I think it's very likely that Daisy might be the only Mario newcomer we get in this game.

I'd like to think Paper Mario (and I guess Geno too) are still likely because of their popularity, but I'm not counting on it. They aren't quite as requested as Ridley or K. Rool, and Ashley proves to us that even Japan's most popular characters aren't guaranteed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, this is never going to happen, But how would you all feel if we got an Overwatch Character? As a Nerd of Overwatch, I'd be very happy.
I'd be very confused to be honest. But I think I'd be down for it as Tracer's weaponry is all sci-fi and her time travel could be interesting in a fighting game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
With Waluigi disconfirmed, and with Captain Toad's unfortunate presence as a background character, I think it's very likely that Daisy might be the only Mario newcomer we get in this game.

I'd like to think Paper Mario (and I guess Geno too) are still likely because of their popularity, but I'm not counting on it. They aren't quite as requested as Ridley or K. Rool, and Ashley proves to us that even Japan's most popular characters aren't guaranteed.
Inklings were probably Japan's most popular characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom