• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Is that purple dot Skull kid?
It's called a mole dude, don't be so insensitive about the moon's complexion. With all those craters on his face he gets it bad enough already.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Skull Kid interesting cause he doesnt really have much material to base a moveset off on so Sakuraii will have to pull off some stuff

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So how many more characters including echoes are we to expect? We just got 5 revealed and are still 4 months out from the release date, so we could be getting more than we were lead to believe.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
To be honest I'm more than surprised they didn't talk about Mii fighters at all. I expected them to at least speak a small portion of the direct about them and how they work now in Smash Ultimate.

Can't say I did miss them speaking about Miis because all the other information was way more interesting in my opinion than Mii talk. K.Rool in Smash is great, the echo fighters are ok. Still not into Simon Belmont but whatever x) Don't need to play him. The squad smash is nice to have. Probably nice to use in friendlies. In general I did like the vs-mode announcements.

Stage-wise I'm happy to have Fountain of Dreams in great graphics back. The stage morph looks interesting but probably not gonna be used in competitive Smash. Maybe also something that could find some use in friendlies.

Training mode looks good too btw. Overall they fix so many small details in Ultimate from the menu to the vs-mode options to stages to the visual effects in battles and the list keeps going on. I'm sure that Smash Ultimate will be way more fun to watch than previous iterations due to some of the changes. Also Smash Ultimate menu is way better than the messy Sm4sh menu.

I'm not overwhelmed by the announcements today but still think it was a good direct overall. The teaser at the Smash Ultimate adventure mode was btw mean. Them teasing it makes me think more and more that it'll be Subspace 2. If it were "just" a melee-like adventure mode, I think they could have revealed it today already. But a storytelling mode makes sense to reveal only close to the release of the game to carry the excitement about the long-awaited story-mode that was missing in Sm4sh over and build up the "ultimate" excitement.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
We have 2 Roys, we can have 2 characters with the name shadow on it
Right now we have

:ultmario::ultdoc: - 2 Marios
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: - 3 Links
:ultsamus: (Dark):ultsamus::ultzss: - 3 Samus
:ultroy::4roy: - 2 Roys (Top 10 Anime fights btw)
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: - 3 Miis

At this point it wouldn't surprise me lmao

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash Ultimate is already perfect for me.

However, if Phoenix Wright were to be added, the game would transcend BEYOND perfect to something even greater.
A man of culture, I see.

Paper Mario would be cool if 64-SPM based, Dixie would be solid, and Black Shadow would be nice. But only Phoenix I truly I desire.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The way they talked about stages made me believe they've revealed all of them, which leads me to believe their won't be anymore characters from new franchises, because they wouldn't have a home stage, and I doubt they would do that.

Kind of sucks, because I was really hoping for a Rhythm Heaven character and stage.
That's actually a pretty good point, that they mentioned the specific number of stages (which without counting I presume falls in line with what's on the website) really makes it seem like that's all of them. That we got to see the My Music screen with the franchise icons also lends to this theory, with all stages being unlocked from the start there's really no reason why any franchises would be missing.

It's a kick in the teeth for the likes of Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun who are yet again left out, but a small boost to potential newcomers of existing franchises, if only because it's less competition.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A man of culture, I see.

Paper Mario would be cool if 64-SPM based, Dixie would be solid, and Black Shadow would be nice. But only Phoenix I truly I desire.
If Phoenix and Paper Mario both end up getting there is no other game that would top Ultimate for me lol\
Not that Ultimate isn't already shaping up to be one of my favorite games conceptually so far.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is there seriously 36 SF tracks, was that confirmed?
Yup! Check out 14:31 on the Direct video.

Also, I thought the selection was per franchise. So the stage had to be of the corresponding franchise. Not any song on any stage.
Yeah no it was a joke, because of the mémé. Because Guile's Theme goes with everything. Embarrass

Loz18(A notable person with inside info) had this to say

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76883130#qp

Thoughts on potential leak?

Wow, that would be amazing. He's always been pretty popular and we haven't seen him as an AT, but at the same time it seems strange they'd ape his obvious FS as a new AT.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
do echoes really count as full on newcomers

i woudnt be surpsrised if we end up with like 8 newcomers and 8 echoes making 16 total but still technically only 8 "new" characters
I think the reason the Direct was on 18/8/8 was because it brought the newcomer total up to 8.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to express one minor disappointment (despite the whole shebang being a 10/10), I'm honestly kinda sad Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road aren't returning. Those are two of the most iconic locations in all of gaming, after all.

Make them DLC, Sakurai. :p

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I think Waddle Dee's chances have increased some. With the reveal of Kawasaki as Kirby's new Assist Trophy, I feel like Waddle Dee is less likely to take that spot as well!

I think if this is in addition to Isabelle and Incineroar, then yeah I could see it happening.
I think Waddle Dee's chances have increased some. With the reveal of Kawasaki as Kirby's new Assist Trophy, I feel like Waddle Dee is less likely to take that spot as well!

I think if this is in addition to Isabelle and Incineroar, then yeah I could see it happening.
That probably means that the UNIQUE newcomers so far will be

Inklings
Ridley
Simon Belmont
K Rool
Skull Kid
Incineroar

Isabelle is probably an echo. I'm guessing maybe Shadow, Ken, and Dixie as the other echoes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be honest I'm more than surprised they didn't talk about Mii fighters at all. I expected them to at least speak a small portion of the direct about them and how they work now in Smash Ultimate.

Can't say I did miss them speaking about Miis because all the other information was way more interesting in my opinion than Mii talk. K.Rool in Smash is great, the echo fighters are ok. Still not into Simon Belmont but whatever x) Don't need to play him. The squad smash is nice to have. Probably nice to use in friendlies. In general I did like the vs-mode announcements.

Stage-wise I'm happy to have Fountain of Dreams in great graphics back. The stage morph looks interesting but probably not gonna be used in competitive Smash. Maybe also something that could find some use in friendlies.

Training mode looks good too btw. Overall they fix so many small details in Ultimate from the menu to the vs-mode options to stages to the visual effects in battles and the list keeps going on. I'm sure that Smash Ultimate will be way more fun to watch than previous iterations due to some of the changes. Also Smash Ultimate menu is way better than the messy Sm4sh menu.

I'm not overwhelmed by the announcements today but still think it was a good direct overall. The teaser at the Smash Ultimate adventure mode was btw mean. Them teasing it makes me think more and more that it'll be Subspace 2. If it were "just" a melee-like adventure mode, I think they could have revealed it today already. But a storytelling mode makes sense to reveal only close to the release of the game to carry the excitement about the long-awaited story-mode that was missing in Sm4sh over and build up the "ultimate" excitement.
After E3 being so focused on old content, it makes sense giving us more new content this time. Also they might be waiting for Mii Fighters to be available in certain modes before telling more about them.
Also, i think new adventure mode may have something to do with pictures at the start of K.Rool's trailer. We'll see.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
That's actually a pretty good point, that they mentioned the specific number of stages (which without counting I presume falls in line with what's on the website) really makes it seem like that's all of them. That we got to see the My Music screen with the franchise icons also lends to this theory.

It's a kick in the teeth for the likes of Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun who are yet again left out, but a small boost to potential newcomers of existing franchises, if only because it's less competition.
You gotta remember that this game isn't finished yet. So not everything will be revealed, they're probably keeping the new series reps a secret until later.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Giygas could be an original character with mind control gimmick/ mechanics.
Or like Chrom and be an echo that borrows from multiple characters. Mewtwo, ness, lucas.

And the ppl who designed giygas designed mewtwo.
Giygas as an Mewtwo echo would be quite interesting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If I had to express one minor disappointment (despite e whole shebang being a 10/10), I'm honestly kinda sad Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road aren't returning. Those are two of the most iconic locations in all of gaming, after all.

Amazed (and truly disappointed) they chose MS Paint Land over Pac-Maze. Especially with Golden Plains returning, so they coulda worked around the gimmick.

was there any need to be so mean to luigi in that trailer?
Luigi's had it too good for too long.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
was there any need to be so mean to luigi in that trailer?
Being Luigi is suffering. Never forget that the Year of Luigi was one of Nintendo's worst fiscal years.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Just wanted to touch on the "Rivals" part of the trailer stuff. I think that would place Shadow as being more likely over Eggman as a character. I would love to see Eggman as a "boss" character for a stage or for the story mode that we know nothing about. Shadow feels more of a rival of Sonic's rather than Eggman, who is much better suited as the villain. Just some other thoughts I wanted to add.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Skull kid seems like a shocking newcomer, but loz18 is pretty reputable with previous information, and it's likely they were the most popular zelda newcomer on the ballot. Wouldn't be a bad inclusion I guess but not one the most preferable of the remaining choices. Gonna be really strange if we don't get a xenoblade newcomer in the base roster though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would y'all feel about this roster? I included also three seasons of DLC characters, a la SFV and Tekken 7:

View attachment 156343
- Impa (Sheik Echo)
- Other newcomers after today (all unique): Bandana Dee, Elma, Isabelle, Chorus Kids, Buzzwole
- DLC season 1 ("Switch Stars"): Twintelle, Rex & Pyra, Octoling (Inkling Echo), Addam & Mythra (Rex & Pyra Echo, represented by Mythra cause I didn't have an icon for both of them)
- DLC Season 2 ("Third Party Blowout"): Neku (Square Enix rep 2), Shadow (Sonic echo, Sega rep 3), Lloyd Irving (Bandai Namco rep 2), Dante (Capcom rep 3)
- DLC Season 3 ("Girl Power"): Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong semi-echo), Shantae (indie rep), Fiora (Elma semi-echo; notes on her later), Lip (can interchange with any other female rep of your choice, like Ayumi Tachibana or Linkle)

Notes on Fiora: yes, I'm aware she's in Shulk's final smash. BUT! Something about the MonHun AT during the direct struck a chord. "The first character in history" to be both a stage hazard and assist trophy. Why not Fiora be both in Shulk's final smash and playable? After all, regular Samus is in Zero Suit's new FS. That, or Fiora can just be patched out of Shulk's FS, assuming she's not also in his victory screen.

Also, sorry that icon's so blurry. Can't find a clearer icon of her PXZ2 render :(

Honorable mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Geno, Joker/Ren Amamiya, Phoenix Wright, Rayman. I considered them but I couldn't really imagine them translating to Smash so easily
Aw geez looking back I coulda totally put Isaac :c you can pop him in with the unique newcomers in that case if you want

Also, shame there’s no newcomer posters anymore cause I can imagine Buzzwole’s: shirtless Simon, Richter, Link, Ryu, Captain Falcon and Snake about to wrestle Buzzwole :awesome:

Welp, off to see a movie. Later guys!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just wanted to touch on the "Rivals" part of the trailer stuff. I think that would place Shadow as being more likely over Eggman as a character. I would love to see Eggman as a "boss" character for a stage or for the story mode that we know nothing about. Shadow feels more of a rival of Sonic's rather than Eggman, who is much better suited as the villain. Just some other thoughts I wanted to add.
I don't think K.Rool or Ganondorf are just rivals.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I could totally see Skull Kid getting in, just because there has been a lot of demand for a brand new Zelda character, and Skull Kid is particularly popular/iconic.

Though the Moon being an assist trophy makes me think that won't be his Final Smash, so what would it be?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah no it was a joke, because of the mémé. Because Guile's Theme goes with everything.Embarrass
Who is Guile? That is JohnKnight's theme. :p

Smash Ultimate is already perfect for me.

However, if Phoenix Wright were to be added, the game would transcend BEYOND perfect to something even greater.
With Edgeworth, Apollo, and most importantly Godot as Echo Fighters. If Ace Attorney gets in, I demand that all of the professional objectors get in.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Amazed (and truly disappointed) they chose MS Paint Land over Pac-Maze. Especially with Golden Plains returning, so they coulda worked around the gimmick.

Luigi's had it too good for too long.
Pac Maze and Golden Plains' gimmicks may be similar, but they're not the same.

Pac Maze's gimmick is very specifically designed for multiple screens, so it wouldn't work unless they either flat out removed it or changed it to be completely different.

Golden Plains' gimmick is different, as it's more tied to a specific character rather than both the character and the stage, so it's easier to work around.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Loz18(A notable person with inside info) had this to say

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76883130#qp

Thoughts on potential leak? It is vague but he DOES have inside info so this might be worth taking into consideration.
If Skull Kid makes it in I really won't know what to say, this game has already given me everything I desperately wanted (Ridley + K. Rool), and it's even gone beyond that and added characters I'd love but didn't focus on or give much thought (Dark Samus, Simon). Skull Kid would elevate the newcomer roster above Brawl's for me, which I thought impossible. Then there's also the everyone is here thing, like jeez.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If I had to express one minor disappointment (despite the whole shebang being a 10/10), I'm honestly kinda sad Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road aren't returning. Those are two of the most iconic locations in all of gaming, after all.

At least Ms. Pac-Man still gets to exist, albeit in cute pixel form.

Because Smash Bros. Ultimate is secretly Infinity War.
Also, Dracula's castle is the worst possible place to do a ghost hunt in.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Aw geez looking back I coulda totally put Isaac :c you can pop him in with the unique newcomers in that case if you want

Also, shame there’s no newcomer posters anymore cause I can imagine Buzzwole’s: shirtless Simon, Richter, Link, Ryu, Captain Falcon and Snake about to wrestle Buzzwole :awesome:

Welp, off to see a movie. Later guys!
Mmm. So many hot, sweaty bodies. I mean uh. Enjoy your movie.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Actually, they show the original franchises from Smash 64, if they just wanted to show all the rivals, they would also show Pit against Dark pit.
Shadow is pretty much confirmed (easy echo + castlevania now have 2 reps when sonic have much more story with nintendo)

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Majora's Wrath, as many have pointed out.

If this happens, I'd be really stoked. A quality Zelda newcomer. Heck, Impa can still happen as well as an echo, honestly.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
So how many more characters including echoes are we to expect? We just got 5 revealed and are still 4 months out from the release date, so we could be getting more than we were lead to believe.
Impossible to say. We can speculate, but Sakurai has already gone over the generally predicted number of fighters (8 now, counting echoes) and we know more are to be revealed. Clearly, Sakurai's idea of "hope you aren't expecting too many new fighters" isn't the same as ours.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Who is Guile? That is JohnKnight's theme. :p

With Edgeworth, Apollo, and most importantly Godot as Echo Fighters. If Ace Attorney gets in, I demand that all of the professional objectors get in.
I'm gonna be honest here.

The reason I'm requesting Phoenix is because if any AA character gets in, it'll be him.

However, my favorite AA character is actually Apollo. If Apollo got in, I'd literally be over the moon.

No, seriously. I'd be so hype that my hype would launch me to the moon, and I'd suffocate to death, but the sheer amount of hype I'd experience would bring me back to life and send me home.

That's how much I'd love that.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Went back and reviewed my 'Pros and Cons' for the game. After the Direct, they are both even. So, as of now, I am not planning on getting the game. This may change if, over time, the pros end up outweighing the cons. I'll just have to wait and see.

But I'll at least be sticking around Smashboards and remain a part of the community.

Really interested in what this 'Spirits' mode is. Dracula's Castle seemed to have two different forms, and the Monster Hunter stage with Rathalos was never mentioned as a stage in itself. Curious if this 'Spirits' mode will be a new adventure mode? Perhaps the mainstream way to unlock characters?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah Final Smashes should be legal now because of the meter gain version.

I'll never move from that option though.

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
I know we have reason to believe that Decidueye is not in the game, but what about Rowlet? Why are we assuming that the Gen 7 grass starter has to be Decidueye or nothing?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Went back and reviewed my 'Pros and Cons' for the game. After the Direct, they are both even. So, as of now, I am not planning on getting the game. This may change if, over time, the pros end up outweighing the cons. I'll just have to wait and see.

But I'll at least be sticking around Smashboards and remain a part of the community.

Really interested in what this 'Spirits' mode is. Dracula's Castle seemed to have two different forms, and the Monster Hunter stage with Rathalos was never mentioned as a stage in itself. Curious if this 'Spirits' mode will be a new adventure mode? Perhaps the mainstream way to unlock characters?
Uh...what cons could you possibly have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom