• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Yeah, with the Majora's Mask moon (which was hilarious btw) I now feel like Skull Kid has a non-zero chance. I honestly wasn't seriously considering him before, but he's more likely than I thought. An Earthbound villain also seems more likely now, which would be great. I suppose I shouldn't try to hype myself up too much though. It just seems like the possibilities for newcomers are a bit less limited than people thought.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Now that Echo fighters are allowed more deviance than we thought (as seen with Chrom), I think Dixie is loads more likely as an Echo.

However, it would've made more sense to show her in the same trailer as K. Rool... so who knows.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd like to mention that Dedede is voiced by Sakurai

so him trolling DK and Diddy is like Sakurai trolling us
Notice Dedede was also wearing the K. Rool Mii Fighter Costume. :laugh:
"Don't expect too many new challengers."

*Reveals 3 characters at E3.*

*Reveals 5 characters at Smash Direct.*

Why did we ever believe him... that Direct was absolutely hype! And Isaac's still alive!
...I'mma change my vote once the Site settles down. Also, so happy Isaac still lives.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Let me get all the facts...
  • Chrom was missing from both Ike's palette and Robin's Final Smash
  • Dark Samus was missing from the Assists and Samus' palette
  • Echoes can have at least one different move (Chrom gets Aether)
  • Echoes can have very different animations (Dark Samus)
  • Shadow and Isabelle are still missing
  • Chrom, K.rool and Zero got upgraded from Mii costume to playable/Assist (Protoman got upgraded to Final Smash a while ago, too)
  • Mimikyu is gone, with Ashley
  • Simon is in, with Ritcher, so third party echoes are not out of the question
  • Monster Hunter got the best Assist Trophy and a cool stage (upgrade from Mii costume)
  • Chrom is a Roy Echo, leaving an Ike Echo spot open
  • Knuckles got upgraded from Mii costume
  • Inkling also playable, ex Mii costume
The only costumes left without any upgrade or other appearance are:
  • Heihachi
  • Lloyd
  • Skull Kid (Assist Trophy also missing, and the Moon being a lone Assist is VERY suspicious)
  • Isabelle
  • Geno
  • Akira
  • Jacky
  • Black Knight
  • Chocobo
Skull Kid is looking very likely now. Heihachi, Lloyd, Geno also. Isabelle and Black Knight can be Echoes. I don't know enough about Akira or Jacky to form an opinion.
I can't remember, but was Tingle deconfimed? I don't think I saw him at all.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Just look at that U-smash range! Landing could be a problem with that reaching so far . . .
Simon and Richter are easily going to be top tier this time around. I'm predicting A/A- due to their range. Long range fighters will have a better time against them so I'm expecting Bayonetta to stay up there challenging these two

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question for y’all -

Shovel Knight and Shantae were the two most popular indie choices in the ballot.

Today, SK got deconfirmed as an Assist Trophy.

Do you guys think Shantae still stands a chance for playable, though?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So the Smash Direct...

Minus the new character reveals (K Rool and Dark Samus I suppose are okay...), the direct was pretty good giving us lots of info. From so many stages and songs and new modes, I'm interested.

Anyways, sorry if I'm bitter bout characters; that's just me, especially regarding Fire Emblem... but moving on, Phosphora still has a chance!
As for other things that interested me a lot, that Rathalos! As someone who likes Monster Hunter, that did make me smile. Could this mean a Monster Hunter character to be playable in the future? I mean MvC did it, so why not here? That and Phosphora are literally my only 2 character wants (I don't mind Eggman being an assist).
And let's not forget Squad Mode! Bringing more than 1 character to be on your team sounds awesome. Pit, Samus, with Palu and Bowser, I'm interested.

I also admit the K. Rool trailer made me chuckle just a bit, courtesy of Dedede trolling.

But again, overall, excluding the character reveals besides the two I mentioned, the whole direct has me interested. I am kinda worried about some of those items/assist trophies being overpowered though. oh well. I'll be waiting on ya Phosphora and Monster Hunter!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 16.36.00.png

So if there really are 6 stages to be revealed, what do you think they would be?

I'd say:
- A Kirby stage
- Pokemon gen 7 stage
- Tropical Freeze stage
- Maybe a new metroid since Pyrosphere is gone
- Maybe a Xenoblade X stage if Elma gets in

and tbh I'm not sure about another

Enchess

Smash Lord
So since Simon almost bafflingly didn't come for Halloween....Mio confirmed? Honestly it's really really weird he wasn't saved for Halloween if we're not getting something else then (and Ashley is out then)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Jesus why is he so detailed? I don't think his early build looks remotely close to that.

D

Deleted member

Lots for me to say, so I'll just leave it in this convenient spoiler tab so it doesn't become a huge wall of text. :p

LOL, of course Simon is real. Oh well; guess I'm gonna have to eat crow on this one. Good for Verge, I guess he was right on the money after all! At least Simon looks a lot more interesting than I thought he'd be, I'm sure he'll be fun to play and look forward to trying him out. Still not really my thing, though, so I'm gonna have to go with "I'm happy other people who wanted him are happy" approach. :)

This Richter guy actually looks cooler than Simon to me. If I play Simon, it'll probably be as Richter, lol.

Also, that reveal trailer was hilarious. Luigi in Dracula's Castle was gold, lol.

Chrom is...cool. I love Fire Emblem, don't get me wrong, and he's an Echo so it's not like he's taking time away from another character, but...I dunno, it just feels off to me. I guess I'm still trying to wrap my head around how much Smash pushes Fire Emblem now. I now it's big and all, but to push it more than games like Zelda or Kirby? Regardless, he's an Echo, and a character people really wanted, so it's all good.

Oh yeah there was also DARK SAMUS. DARK. FREAKIN'. SAMUS. Yeeeeeesssssss I wanted her so bad! MP2 is my all time favorite Metroid game, so to essentially get a character from it in Smash was one of the best possible outcomes for me. If it weren't for a certain crocodile I'll be talking about in a minute here, Dark Samus would've honestly been the highlight of the Direct for me.

Simon's stage and music look and sound dope. I'll probably play them pretty often.

Speaking of music, holy cow, there's a ton! As someone who adores amazing video game OSTs, this is a dream come true to me. The fact that songs aren't separated by stages anymore and run off of this new "by series" format is amazing to me; it's a feature I never knew I wanted!

Also, Calamari Inkantation on Morray Towers. My life is complete.

All of the new modes and stages look amazing. Fountain of Dreams and Brinstar Depths are back, and they look stunning! I'm kind of forgetting some of the specifics of the new modes right now though, so I'll have to write up my thoughts on those later when I can re-watch that part of the Direct. The mode where you swap out to different characters is really interesting though, and Final Smashes being a meter is an interesting shake up (still probably gonna be banned in competitive though).

Also hey, Classic Mode is fun again! Huzzah!

Okay...before I get to the best part of the Direct, I gotta take a moment to acknowledge a certain Wario Ware girl. I mean, I knew it was coming, but gosh darn it, I wanted so bad to be wrong, lol.

*Sigh*...Hello darkness, my old friend...

Also, I think this Direct pretty much killed Octolings, which is fine. I kinda had a feeling they were too new anyway, and there's alway the inevitable DLC, so I'll retire my support for them until then.

I also kinda think Bandana Dee is a longshot now. Just as I expected, all the Kirby stuff is...still only from stuff Sakurai was involved in. I mean, I'm not surprised, but I am pretty darn disappointed. I've kinda given up on anything Kirby that isn't Super Star or Air Ride at this point. :/

So, to sum it up with a picture, my thoughts on the Direct up to this point are pretty much this:

Pretty good, 6/10 stuff. Nothing mindblowing, but still exciting all the way around-

K. ROOL.

Dang. DANG. K. Rool was one of those characters like Ridley where I never put him on any wishlists because I thought he was simply impossible. That it would never happen. Needless to say, I' on cloud 9 right now, lol. This honestly has made me change my mind about the ballot. I think Sakurai really did take it's results to heart as every single character inclusion in this game so far have been characters that were begged for back in Wii U and 3DS. Also, that fake out with Dedede made K. Rool's reveal the best reveal in Smash history. Truly a legend.

TL;DR: Direct was really good, despite me not being a fan of Castlevania. Press F for Ashley. :(

Now that Verge has pretty much been proven real at this point, I patiently await my Isabelle reveal. My money's on a November Direct.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
One word: Legacy.

KI isn't really a legacy franchise that people will know yet.
Eh, still people recognize the characters from the game and Palutena and Dark Pit both got in Smash 4...

Also Sakurai can pick favorites sometimes...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think the leading theory is that it's a story mode stage/boss. The obscured menu option.

I'm excited about stage morphing. I did not see that coming AT ALL but it opens up some interesting possibilities. Two players selecting a stage independent of each other and playing a match where it morphs between the two for game 1, instead of striking? Would that even be feasible?

Also metered final smashes, with this also making them weaker. I rather doubt we'll suddenly see final smashes legal, but it's still an intriguing idea.
I thought about using stage morph as a game one solution too. It's worth toying with but I'm not sure it would be super desired for various reasons (it would guarantee game one is ALWAYS on a transforming stage). It's a really very cool feature though; even if it doesn't find a home in competitive play, it's a great addition.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Having Final Smashes connected to a kind of 'limit break' bar is actually having me somewhat interested in them for the first time. I'm going to assume though that such a mode will be rejected by the community, so I guess my interest will die quietly in a corner. It would probably just cause matches to end up being 'stay alive until the meter fills and whoever lands their FS wins'.
dont worry it will be thoroughly rejected. as long as you build more meter giving damage than taking it i would be open to it personally but before we see change in the entire competitive community mindset on supers we need to address it on stages. That fight is already starting. there's no reason this game shouldn't have less than 15 legal stages now.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
My realistic two most wanted characters (Shovel Knight and Ashley) just got deconfirmed back to back and I don't even care. That was insane.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We need to analyze that artwork featuring all of the characters. Are there any notable gaps?
Max already did this on his stream after the announcements and it appears they've purposely widened spots, moved people, etc to throw people off doing that.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I hope gen 7 doesn't get a rep or a stage.

Gen 1 or gen 3 new Pokemon and stage please Sakurai

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So since Simon almost bafflingly didn't come for Halloween....Mio confirmed? Honestly it's really really weird he wasn't saved for Halloween if we're not getting something else then (and Ashley is out then)
I don't think Japan goes very hard on the whole Halloween thing.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can I mention how much I really like K. Rool's Final Smash? Glad DK 64 isn't getting ignored. He even uses the boxing gloves.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Just realized that Sector Z and Planet Zebes are yet to be revealed for the 64 stages

And I think Peach's Castle (64) haven't as well?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

RIP Captain Toad guys
Possibly...but same with the now HD 3D Model Viridi
I think Shadow is all but confirmed at this point given the situation with Castlevania.
And with Sonic having Green Hill and Windy Hill coming back, along with his series being a 3x 3rd party champ, Shadow (or atleast Tails/Eggman) just has to happen
View attachment 156290

So if there really are 6 stages to be revealed, what do you think they would be?

I'd say:
- A Kirby stage
- Pokemon gen 7 stage
- Tropical Freeze stage
- Maybe a new metroid since Pyrosphere is gone
- Maybe a Xenoblade X stage if Elma gets in

and tbh I'm not sure about another
Yes to all that...and our new 3D model of the legendary Viridi
Bandana Dee is alive :^)
He, Isabelle, and Shadow still have life
One word: Legacy.

KI isn't really a legacy franchise that people will know yet.
Sakurai’s new child series = His Legacy
Hmm. I don't know. Maybe it'll be like, Pit and Palutena vs Dark Pit and (???). I don't know why they chose who they chose for the trailer...
Viridi is the only one who would make sense with Pittoo (Medusa, Pandora, and Hades definitely not)

D

Deleted member

For real, Final Smashes better be tourney legal now. They've all been rebalanced, and the element of randomness has now been removed with meters. Not only that, but meter-based FSs are weaker too according to the trailer. No reason to not let new rules define the new meta.

3v3/5v5 matches should get a scene as well imo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The fact 2 out of 3 big long standing Smash fan wants are in is crazy.

We are only Geno away now.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Belmont looks like he could give Bayonetta players a hard time and could be a viable counter pick.

Good
in what way? i'm sure every bayo is thinking "please swing at me from half screen with a whip, watch what happens" and he's slow. don't see it at all

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Okay.
Richter has his own animations.
Chrom is a mixture of ike and roy.

What does echo even mean anymore?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I believe Smash Ultimate will NOT be the last Smash game, the last Sakurai era Smash yes, but considering Smash is a system seller and makes Nintendo a lot of money, it will continue

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Congratulations to everyone who got their characters confirmed!! That direct was absolutely amazing. Can't wait to play all the new characters! :)

Also fountain of dreams is back so I can live happily. :') best stage.

My condolences to those who unfortunately had they favourite characters deconfirmed. Maybe next time!

Chef Kawasaki being the kirby assist trophy means theres a really good chance Bandana Dee is in. So i'm pretty pleased all things considered!

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
I'm a bit upset about Ashley but the fact Ridley and King K. Rool are both new comers omg thank you sakurai! So the total count is 67 counting echos and pokemon individual/one 75/73 and to me it seems a trailer/direct every two month will be the pattern.... I suspect 3 more unique and 5/7 more echos.

And if I had to guess who maybe
Elma
Chorus kids
Geno

Shadow *mewtwo up b
Dixie Kong *Donkey Kong up b
Isabelle *someone else up b maybe?
Impa
Alph *Rock pikmin
???
???

Cant decide the last two only implies as pokemon trainer counting as one anyways.

I know that sounds like a lot of echos but i really think all bets are off.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
My reaction to K Rool reveal:

Oh?
Oh! :0
Oh...:/
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :0 :0

Status
Not open for further replies.