• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You might think ''BUT SHE'S PACIFIST AND FROM ANIMAL CROSSING A SERIES WITH NO FIGHTING ****."

That does not matter.
Maybe for you, but even if Isabelle gets revealed to my own dismay, I have better things in mind for the outcome of Isabelle getting smacked around.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I do wonder if Verg is letting all of this attention substantially boost his ego. His rumors in the past year, blew up the internet, to say the least, he's been mentioned by some of the biggest gaming channels on YouTube (Easy Allies, Maximillion Dood, Gamexplain, Super Best Friends, Eurogamer, etc).
When your rumor is mentioned by one of the most well respected gaming journalists in the industry, such as Brandon Jones and Michael Damiani, you know you've made it big. It'd be hard to not get at least a tiny ego boost from that, I'll say.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Another thing to note with Vergeben is that he has multiple insider sources, and has been notably bad at vetting them in the past. It’s entirely possible he’s getting these characters from more than one source, and some of those in turn may not be legitimate. All that said, the way he has been presenting himself makes it sound like he’s waiting to post characters until he’s relatively sure they are in, so he may be waiting for multiple sources for all of these.

Or he could be full of **** and craving attention. That MvCI leak is doing him no favors.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
✨✨Sakurai never puts the "obvious" pokemon pick in Smash, Decidueye is not likely at all to me, but people can dream i guess✨✨
I mean, Lucario, Charizard, (not apart of Red's moveset but aside from that) and Mewtwo are "obvious" picks in a lot of people's eyes, including mine. There's some outliers such as with Jigglypuff, Pichu, Greninja, and Red's other ones such as Ivysaur and Squirtle.
Like with the former, they were fan favorites and popular Pokemon that were being pushed by the Pokemon Company and Game Freak. Greninja is especially the latter, but by the time X and Y came out he became very popular with both the competitive and casual crowd.
I think this time around, there's a lot of different possibilities to consider given both ORAS and Sun/Moon are obviously prominent, one being around the time the project plan was finalized and the other marking the 20th anniversary of the franchise.
We're literally in the same place we were with Smash 4, but instead of people arguing about which Gen 5 character may make it in, there's a large swath to consider. And if we believe Verge's claims, which I don't think we should, it narrows it down to one gen but still leaves a lot to speculate upon.

Edit: Talking about Verge, he's flipped flopped so many times on MvC:I and SFV, that I would not take anything he says at face value. Also with the fact he has a seemingly big ego and doesn't hesitate to drop info and with Sakurai's comments on how a large portion of employees didn't know about the roster given how secretive they've been, I wouldn't take anything thrown around seriously until we see definitive proof.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
So I see that Vergeben shared new info in regards to a new Pokemon rep and its not Decidueye if I heard correctly unless I am missing something?
"It's not Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc", according to Vertical-Bench.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't think Decidueye fans would be the next salty group. Even if you don't like Incineroar, let its fans celebrate.

I mean it probably won't mean anything in the end, but let them celebrate.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, so long as the gen 7 Pokemon isn't yet another anthropomorphic humanoid design, I guess I'll be interested to see on what Pokemon they supposedly did pick.

A bit sad for Mimikyu and Lycanroc if they really are out of the running though...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isabelle isn't even the first cute animal fighter if she's in though.

Pikachu and Squirtle aren't too far removed from the animals they're based on.

and you literally have a duck and a dog that you can hit off screen in Duck Hunt.

What would make her different? If anything Duck Hunt is worse than her because they're not anthro like she is

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Isabelle isn't even the first cute animal fighter if she's in though.

Pikachu and Squirtle aren't too far removed from the animals they're based on.

and you literally have a duck and a dog that you can hit off screen in Duck Hunt.

What would make her different? If anything Duck Hunt is worse than her because they're not anthro like she is
Duck Hunt is better because unlike the adorable Isabelle, people used to hate the hell out of the dog and have attempted to murder him for decades (well...as close as they could get to doing so...he could get shot at)
080389B0-2602-42C9-A5AA-C0496D26DC82.gif

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm sure peoples' definitions will vary, but, hypothetically, had we never received a certain character, yet people are neither currently clamouring/expecting them, nor are bemoaning/shocked at their omission... they're not an obvious addition.

If Greninja had never been added, we wouldn't be thinking twice about the character. Nor Pokemon Trainer. Those aren't obvious additions to me, despite the sense behind their inclusions.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Duck Hunt is better because unlike the adorable Isabelle, people used to hate the hell out of the dog and have attempted to murder him for decades (well...as close as they could get to doing so...he could get shot at)
View attachment 155610
Fun fact, the dog reappears in the 1990 NES game Barker Bill's Trick Shooting and you CAN shoot him (although you'll get penalized)

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
There's willpower and then there's just being a strong beefy lad
Pit is an Absolute Unit

Still interested in a "serpentine" character...
It's real dunsparce hours up in this house rn

Anyways, is it possible we're overlooking the possibility of the pokemon newcomer being an Echo/Clone? I don't think Vegetaburrito ever said that the Gen-7 pokemon was unique. That said, I'd be fine with whatever. I'd prefer a pick that wasn't so "obvious" though, buzzwole being the pokemon I like mentioned the most, and not just because it'd be good for my baras.

Last edited:

Pretty Roger

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Pikachu was obvious.
Mewtwo was obvious.
Pokémon Trainer was obvious.
Lucario was obvious.

Greninja was obvious in hindsight.

You are objectively wrong.
✨1.- Pikachu doesn't count for obvious reasons (mascot)
✨2.- I didn't say he chose "unlikely" pokemon, just not the "obvious" pick
✨3.- No matter who gets in is going to feel like it was "obvious" like Greninja did
✨4.- Jigglypuff, Pichu, Pokémon Trainer and Greninja were not top picks even if they are really popular now.

✨5.-Mewtwo wasn't even part of the current generation when he was added (like Pokemon Trainer)

I guess i am objectively right about Decidueye not been that likely too, yay!
(it could still be in the game)

D

Deleted member

With all these names for Verge, I'm surprised no one has come up with Tom Vergeron yet.

....I'm copyrighting that.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Vergeben
Vergy
Vergy-Bergy
Vegetableman
Vergebenandjerrys
Vertical-Bench
Geez, how many nicknames does this guy have?

I didn't think Decidueye fans would be the next salty group. Even if you don't like Incineroar, let its fans celebrate.
You act like Incineroar has been confirmed.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Pit is an Absolute Unit

It's real dunsparce hours up in this house rn

Anyways, is it possible we're overlooking the possibility of the pokemon newcomer being an Echo/Clone? I don't think Vegetaburrito ever said that the Gen-7 pokemon was unique. That said, I'd be fine with whatever. I'd prefer a pick that wasn't so "obvious" though, buzzwole being the pokemon I like mentioned the most, and not just because it'd be good for my baras.
No pokemon really works as an echo, excluding evolutions and pre-evolutions they all have drastically different body types to the point that I can't think of a single one that would work as an echo

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Simon was nowhere, lol. Even what little support he had was always hindered by the belief that Snake and Bomberman both had priority.
I know, it's as if the records all get torched and rewritten whenever a new development happens.

Remember where we stand now, because I'm sure even by next week things will be newly distorted, lol.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I find it kinda funny that people on here turned on Verge the moment he said ''Decidueye isn't in."

Before a lot of you were all ''SIMON IS COMING. VERGE IS RIGHT! VERGE VERGE VERGE."

What changed? :troll:
I still dont trust Veggieben completely. He takes in crap info

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Also please if Isabelle is revealed next.

Don't take that as a favor for Verge.

She's one of the most obvious and popular Nintendo characters right now.

He's not being bold by saying she's in. You might think ''BUT SHE'S PACIFIST AND FROM ANIMAL CROSSING A SERIES WITH NO FIGHTING ****."

That does not matter.

So please if by some chance a reveal happens soon and it's her? Please don't make Verge's potential word stronger based off just her alone.
It would still be credibility towards him; regardless of how "obvious" you think she is, the opinions on her making it in are heavily mixed at best, whether it be from "Isabelle is too peaceful for Smash!", moveset concerns, or whatever reason. Her name of course pops up a lot but a significant amount of people, if not the majority, weren't predicting her, and thus it's not a "safe" pick to put her on a fake leak.

To dismiss it because of that reminds me of when people would dismiss every character Gematsu got right after Wii Fit Trainer because they were supposedly "safe" and "obvious", then after it was all done they would convince themselves it was feasible to just guess all the those characters when they probably don't know anyone who got even half of them right in their pre-Gematsu predictions.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
✨1.- Pikachu doesn't count for obvious reasons (mascot)
✨2.- I didn't say he chose "unlikely" pokemon, just not the "obvious" pick
✨3.- No matter who gets in is going to feel like it was "obvious" like Greninja did
✨4.- Jigglypuff, Pichu, Pokémon Trainer and Greninja were not top picks even if they are really popular now.

✨5.-Mewtwo wasn't even part of the current generation when he was added (like Pokemon Trainer)

I guess i am objectively right about Decidueye not been that likely too, yay!
(it could still be in the game)
Pikachu... doesn't count?

What?

Of course Pikachu counts.

Mewtwo not being part of the current generation in Melee is also irrelevent, because he was apparently going to be in Smash 64 but was cut for time.
Vergeben
Vergy
Vergy-Bergy
Vegetableman
Vergebenandjerrys
Vertical-Bench
Geez, how many nicknames does this guy have?

You act like Incineroar has been confirmed.
We make up new ones on the fly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No pokemon really works as an echo, excluding evolutions and pre-evolutions they all have drastically different body types to the point that I can't think of a single one that would work as an echo
Wartortle for Squirtle is one of the few that can work. Well, Bulbasaur for Ivysaur too, I guess?

But yeah, there's really no good options that make much sense.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I could maybe see the new electric furbait (Zeoraroaaororoaoroaa) echoing the old news furbait (Lucario)

That being said, I don't think we've ever seen the digimon cat in action, anime, game, or otherwise.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Wartortle for Squirtle is one of the few that can work. Well, Bulbasaur for Ivysaur too, I guess?

But yeah, there's really no good options that make much sense.
Yeah I mentioned evolutions and pre-evolutions can work but there's not much reason to add those guys in 2018 tbh, plus they're all larger/smaller than the original forms which doesn't work with an echo. Raichu being the same size as Pikachu for example wouldn't make sense.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I could maybe see the new electric furbait (Zeoraroaaororoaoroaa) echoing the old news furbait (Lucario)

That being said, I don't think we've ever seen the digimon cat in action, anime, game, or otherwise.
Zeraora and Lucario don't have the same body type though.

It's sort of the same thing as Dillon for Sonic (blegh)

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
If Buzzwole gets into Smash, I don’t ever want to see any of you guys say “actually it was super obvious in hindsight” like people weren’t predicting Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Incineroar, or Tapu Koko instead.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Those 2 actually have surprisingly similar proportions so it could work I suppose, but them fighting alike would make no sense anyway

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I mentioned evolutions and pre-evolutions can work but there's not much reason to add those guys in 2018 tbh, plus they're all larger/smaller than the original forms which doesn't work with an echo. Raichu being the same size as Pikachu for example wouldn't make sense.
That's why I mentioned these two. Their sizes aren't nearly that off. It's an issue with some of the first evolutions of the original Pokemon trio. They're all vastly similar. Charmeleon is the most stand-out one with a remotely different body shape. That said, an echo of Pokemon Trainer using Bulbasaur, Wartortle, and Mega Charizard X could actually work due to body proportions matching. Not that I think it has a remote chance of happening, though.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Simon Belmont? Not even a whispe
Simon was nowhere, lol. Even what little support he had was always hindered by the belief that Snake and Bomberman both had priority.
Nintendo life Poll regarding who should be in smash 4 dlc
Source gaming poll regarding smash 4 DLC

Choose smash 4 dlc polls, in oprder to discard completely vergeben leak impact in teh character.. since the leak skyrocketed simon votes in most polls to even rival waluigi.

to be told you dont exist is kinda rude ._.

Enchess

Smash Lord
If Buzzwole gets into Smash, I don’t ever want to see any of you guys say “actually it was super obvious in hindsight” like people weren’t predicting Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Incineroar, or Tapu Koko instead.
But don't all these Buzzwole posts today mean he is somewhat obvious? I feel like Primarina fits that more

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
But don't all these Buzzwole posts today mean he is somewhat obvious? I feel like Primarina fits that more
Only on the basis of the fact that a well-known leaker swooped on by and supposedly axed three of his competitors from the running.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You missed the second sentence.
I didn't really miss it, but I guess I misinterpreted it.

I thought he was saying something like, "This comment won't matter in the end, because people will still complain anyway", but I guess it can also be interpreted as, "Their celebrating won't matter in the end, so let them have it".

My mistake there, if that's true.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Those 2 actually have surprisingly similar proportions so it could work I suppose, but them fighting alike would make no sense anyway

Not close enough to justify Echo Status.

It's not like they can just put a Zeraora skin over Lucario and call it a day, they would have to make big changes to the skeleton to make it work.

At which point you might as well go whole hog and make him a full-fledged fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom