• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
He's still built quite a bit differently from Lucario, it's not asinine like Mimyikyu being a Pikachu Echo but I'm not convinced you could slap that model over Lucario's skeleton and have him do Lucario's stuff without any abnormalities.
I think it could work, but the best way to see it would be knowing what kind of moves Zeraora uses.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Magearna wouldnt be bad... always liked the design to the point that it convienced me (along the steampunk vibes) to actually watch that movie. (note that the only pokemon movie ive seen was the first one.. when it came out) sadly i found the movie terrible.. but oh well, i never really had high expectations to begin with. (Can we have a decent spinoff pokemon anime that doesnt have anything to do with the serie, plz?)

Honestly although i don't know nothing of Zaraora, is one of those few gen VII i don't really like. i don't have particulary strong feelings regarding Incineroar, Buzzwhole or marshadow, but i feel that i could grow to like them if they are in...while all of them fits the "cool" archetype, is not the only thing going for themselves (Incineroar have the expressive and heel facet, Buzzwhole have the goofy and weird facet and marshadow have the tricky and cute facet) But Zerora is.... "cool" I guess? honestly feels a little boring :/

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know he still ain’t likely, mainly due to him being a version exclusive, but I’m glad to see so many people are warming up to the idea for Buzzwole
BAF3F001-0D01-4384-8B96-2223101C7F53.png
in smash.

I think the main thing thats so appealing about Buzzwole (besides being a swole-ass mosquito) is his personality, he’s both terrifying and hilarious at the same time. He’s this powerful extra dimensional being that can leach life force, but it spends most of it’s time admiring its muscles and flexing instead.

I feel like buzzwole could really stand out from both the “cutesy” Pokemon :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff: AND the “cool” Pokemon :ultlucario::ultgreninja::4charizard:.

KMDP

Smash Legend
(Can we have a decent spinoff pokemon anime that doesnt have anything to do with the serie, plz?)/
I mean, there's Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations, those don't have anything to do with Pokémon, the anime.

Also, Pokémon Special, the manga series, has nothing to do with anime either (but that's not what you're asking for)

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I think it could work, but the best way to see it would be knowing what kind of moves Zeraora uses.
What kind of moves Zeraora uses is irrelevant, what matters is if you could port his model over Lucario's skeleton and with minimal work have him be able to do all his moves without the model nor the moves glitching out or any such abnormalities. Think moveset swapping, and how character's models get ****ed up when ported over an ill-suiting skeleton before they even do any moves (e.g. the infamous Pikaman for an extreme example). Zeroara's proportions are noticeably different from Lucario's, so it's not a clean fit and thus makes it infeasible that it will work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Buzzwole would be an acceptable alternative to Incineroar for me.

They're my two favorites of the Gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I mean, there's Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations, those don't have anything to do with Pokémon, the anime.

Also, Pokémon Special, the manga series, has nothing to do with anime either (but that's not what you're asking for)
Pokemon origin was pretty cool, although still was too close to the games. but great nonetheless. but isn't exactly.... "long".

Pokemon generations for the for teh most part was amazing... but if origins wasn't long.... generations was extremely short XD.

pokemon special was amazing, managed to read up to the start of diamond saga.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Pokemon origin was pretty cool, although still was too close to the games. but great nonetheless. but isn't exactly.... "long".

Pokemon generations for the for teh most part was amazing... but if origins wasn't long.... generations was extremely short XD.

pokemon special was amazing, managed to read up to the start of diamond saga.
I only ever read the "Red & Green" arc of Pokémon Special (basically, everything up to when Yellow shows up).

As for Manga adaptations of "Games", going outside of the purview of Pokémon, I recommend Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01 if you're at all interested in Digimon. It's not a particularly long series (only 58 chapters) and is pretty fun; you don't really need much prior knowledge of Digimon to understand it (outside of a few bonus chapters where the main protagonists of the anime series' make an appeareance), mostly because it technically predates most of the other adaptations ("technically" because it started before all the anime series and ended... during(?) the fourth) and therefore is based on the V-Pets.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Tapu Koko is definitely the Pokemon I'm starting to think will get in IF we get a Gen 7 Pokemon. But that's still a big if in my eyes

With Trainers return, I don't really want another starter, I especially don't want another fully evolved Fire Starters, especially one with such an awful design. Rowlet line would be interesting but I'd rather look elsewhere.

For Ultra beast, I'm not a huge fan of Buzzwole, and it would be weird to me to get a version exclusive Pokemon.

Magearna.... I often forget exists honestly. Kinda boring to me honestly. Certainly possible but it sort of just came and went and nobody cared. Plus Volcanion was the star of its movie.

Tapu Koko despite being one of four Tapu Pokemon has proven itself right from the beginning to be a league above its fellow Island Guardians (a notable issue that plagues the Zelda champions). It was revealed long before them and played a more notable role in both the Anime and the game itself. And it just straight up plays a notable role in the game and anime. From where I last saw, Being able to beat Tapu Koko is one of Ash's driving forces in the anime atm and you encounter before you even choose a starter in Sun and Moon. I think it would make a great choice as an Island Guardian, it feels very uniquely Alolan

My only issue with the Pokemon, is I don't really want another Electric type. I'd rather a Pokemon type we don't have in Smash yet. Admittedly though there are only 6 types we don't have so I guess it's not a big deal.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
What kind of moves Zeraora uses is irrelevant, what matters is if you could port his model over Lucario's skeleton and with minimal work have him be able to do all his moves without the model nor the moves glitching out or any such abnormalities. Think moveset swapping, and how character's models get ****ed up when ported over an ill-suiting skeleton before they even do any moves (e.g. the infamous Pikaman for an extreme example). Zeroara's proportions are noticeably different from Lucario's, so it's not a clean fit and thus makes it infeasible that it will work.
That surely is true, but I feel that their proportions are close enough for Zeraora to work as an Echo, especially when you look at them
Lucario.png
images.jpeg

The arms reach the same height, they have thinner upper bodies than the under one and ha a similarly large head. I don't see this big difference in proportion that would make Zeraora not work with Lucario's skeleton.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Vergeben has another update.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145?jumpto=83#83

"Decidueye isn't the Gen 7 Pokemon character."

Sigh, now I'm hoping these rumors are fake even if I want Simon because I'll be disappointed that newcomers were spoiled again.
What? No Decidueye? Damn.

Update to Verge if it hasn't been said.

He claims it's also "not Mimkyu or Lycanroc either."
What? Not even Mimikyu or Lycanroc either?

Then who? Incineroar? Buzzwole? Primarina? Tapu Koko? Nihilego? Golisopod? Steenee? Rowlet? Alolan Meowth? Please let it be Alolan Meowth!

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally I think the most likely Gen VII Pokémons that could join in Ultimate (if Vergeben is right) are:
-Inceneroar: it is apparently popular and big in the anime.
-Tapu Koko: it played a big role in Sun/Moon story, and he is also very popular.
-Rowlet: it has became an instant fan favourite, and I still see it promoting today. He is such beloved that they didn't even let Ash' one evolve, much like how they did with Pikachu back in the day.
-Zeraora: If my theory about a potential echo of Lucario is right it would be a good choice, since he will remain fresh and relevant even with Gen VIII behind the corner. Plus we still miss a Mythical Pokémon as a playable character.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So after catching up with the thread, it seems like Vergeban may've dealt a critical hit to three of our Alolan Elite Four? That's definitely a bit of a game changer if his information is correct.

If he's right, then I definitely agree that Incineroar just jumped ahead of the pack. He was in I Choose You, being one of the few Alolan Pokémon in that movie, and the anime does seem to be building up to Ash's Torracat's eventual evolution due to his backstory and the whole Masked Royal thing. He definitely was a Pokémon that had enough to be considered, and he would be a unique fighter since (strangely enough) we don't have any wrestler/true grappling characters yet. Also, with the other big hitters being knocked out of the running, that may mean that we could go back and look at some of our previous darkhorse picks like Buzzwole or Silvally.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's gonna be Toucannon because Sakurai saw that Tucan Sam leak that someone made for Smash 4 and loved the idea so much.

Pakky

Smash Hero

So.. yeah this is my interpretation based on the sprite and some fan art.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts on the whole Vergeben “leak” of a half dozen newcomers left (6-7) and possible concrete evidence of what characters may be hinted at.

1) Isabelle
•Animal Crossing’s Growing Popularity.
•Character is somewhat of the mascot now.
•DLC Mii Costume in Smash WiiU/3DS
•Memoryman also found extra Animal Crossing amiibo data in Wooly World that’s questioning.

2) Bandana Dee
•Kirby’s Fourth Mascot within the series.
•Popular in the Smash Ballot Japan Polls.
•Memoryman found some amiibo data with
Waddle Dee in Wooly World.

3) Cross OR Elma
•Xenoblade being a another Growing Franchise.
•Sakurai working with a mech for his work.
•Bill Trinens possible slip up.
•Elmas voice actress expressing she wants Elma in Smash Ultimate on Twitter.

4) Simon Belmont
•Another famous Third Party Series from the 80s/90s. (Also has Netflix Series)
•Konami is back with Snake & Bomberman.
•Could have possibly did well on the Ballot out of whatever “realizable characters” Sakurai picked.

5) Incineroar
•is rumored to be a very popular Pokemon in Japan.
•Anime points to Ash having a Incineroar.
•Design was leaked on June 2016 which means it’s design could have been already finished around the time Smash Ultimates project plan was set it stone. (Late 2015/Early 2016).

6) King K. Rool
•Arguably did the best in the Smash the Ballot.
•DLC Mii Costume hinting at his known popularity, also Another Villian.
•Another DK Rep bringing it to three alongside Kid Icarus, Metroid, Kirby, and Fox. Well deserved since the DK Country Series is doing successful.

7) Geno
•From Mario’s first RPG game.
•Wanted since Brawl, and Sakurai stated himself he wanted him in Smash.
•DLC Mii Costume that could hint at his inclusion.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, at the very least, Verge's 'leak' gives us something to talk about, regardless of it being right or not.

I hate stroking his ego, but it's at least 'something', when the most new information that we've received in 2 entire months since E3 is that Delfino Plaza is coming back, and a couple songs. Other than that though, it's been rehash after rehash.

I know I sound like a broken record, but until actual new stuff starts showing up, we're in the absolute dead zone of speculation, where nothing really matters, and we're effectively sifting through 4chan text leaks to kill time and keep ourselves entertained. At least Verge has 'some' credibly to him, though I wouldn't give him too much.

As for Incenaroar? I mean, Ash is getting one in the anime, this much is pretty much certain, so either this was a happy accident by Sakurai, or it was planned out in advance. Personally, I feel like it was definitely planned out.

The whole "Alolan final forms" getting leaked way before Sun/Moon came out was hella fishy to me, and the fact we saw Ash with Incenaroar on the sketches means that Ash getting one has been planned since before the Sun and Moon anime even began. Would not surprise me if the Pokemon Company nudged Sakurai in Incenaroar's direction to both promote the games, and the anime, ESPECIALLY with how popular Smash made Greninja.

Greninja was already a popular starter, but then he's in Smash as well on top of that, AND he gets used by Ash?

If anything, if Incenaroar is in, he'll be in Greninja's shoes in a sense.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Simon seeming obvious is egregious revisionism. He's a cool character and a good choice, but at best he was a third-party of middling popularity and expectation beforehand. Literally go back to look how rarely he's seriously discussed prior to Verg.
I think a lot of that is because Castlevania fans haven't really dared to dream. The franchise seemed to be comatose at the time of Smash 4's discussion.

Shroob

Sup?
I think a lot of that is because Castlevania fans haven't really dared to dream. The franchise seemed to be comatose at the time of Smash 4's discussion.
That, and Konami was being pretty much the worst company in gaming at the time.

When Snake's chances kept dwindling, there really wasn't any hope for anyone else from Konami.

Now with both Snake in and Bomberman as an AT, Konami seems fully on board with Smash.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Isn't it common sense that people are going to jump on the bandwagon for a character that is likely to be in smash?

Why would you support a character that would never have any chance to be in smash to begin with?

Or am I misinterpreting something?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So Vergeben claimed that the playable seventh generation Pokemon is not "Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc."

Here are my other choices that I would consider:

- Inceniroar or Primarina (the two remaining final evolution starters.)
- One of the Alolan Guardians such as Tapu Koko.
- One of the Ultra Beasts such as Buzzwole, Pheromosa or even Poipole.
- One of the legenadaries of Alola - Magearna, Marshadow or Zeraora.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So I wake up and there's 15+ extra pages because a potential leaker has been at it again.

I understand he claims to deconfirm Decidueye, Mimikyu and Lycanroc, but does he give any info FOR the Pokemon? Does he claim it's a specific generation, for example?

Staarih

Smash Master
While remaining a Mimikyu supporter until we know any better, it seems like the best choice is to keep an open mind when it comes to Pokémon newcomers. There are so many good and plausible options this time around, I see myself going back and forth between the options we have. Even Incineroar, who I was indifferent to at first, is growing on me with the backup of him likely being planned beforehand to star in the anime, plus the wrestler-motif translates well to Smash.

...though after Greninja and Incineroar, the clamouring for a Grass-type starter for the next game would be louder than ever lol.

Shroob

Sup?
So I wake up and there's 15+ extra pages because a potential leaker has been at it again.

I understand he claims to deconfirm Decidueye, Mimikyu and Lycanroc, but does he give any info FOR the Pokemon? Does he claim it's a specific generation, for example?
He said that Decidueye isn't the 7th gen pokemon, meaning we can assume the Pokemon is most likely from the 7th gen.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Isn't it common sense that people are going to jump on the bandwagon for a character that is likely to be in smash?

Why would you support a character that would never have any chance to be in smash to begin with?

Or am I misinterpreting something?
I don't know anything about supporting a character that has no chance to get into Smash. No sirree...

Shroob

Sup?
whs0ohv12.jpg

If anything, this is the biggest piece of supporting evidence Incenaroar has going for it.

This was leaked LONG before Sun and Moon came out, before we even knew the final evolutions, and you can clearly see Ash there.

Incenaroar was planned to be Ash's Greninja in the anime long, long before the games even came out, and considering Ash has a Torracat right now, he's almost there.

Pakky

Smash Hero
View attachment 155622

If anything, this is the biggest piece of supporting evidence Incenaroar has going for it.

This was leaked LONG before Sun and Moon came out, before we even knew the final evolutions, and you can clearly see Ash there.

Incenaroar was planned to be Ash's Greninja in the anime long, long before the games even came out, and considering Ash has a Torracat right now, he's almost there.
THIS, SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE DEAF and maybe a little louder for the blind...?

Speaking of Pokemon

Lookie and cartoons!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Man, I think Incineroar is my least favorite potential gen 7 pokemon rep. I really do not like that thing. I guess I'm hoping for a random legendary rep a this point. Or maybe Golisopod?

Shroob

Sup?
When it comes to Pokemon, I honestly don't mind who gets in, though if Decidueye doesn't get in, I think it's about time the Smash community stops leeching onto a specific ONE Pokemon as being the most likely choice and give themselves 4-5 options instead.

Everyone was soo sure that Zoroark would replace Lucario last gen, but instead, Gen 5 got shafted, and Lucario brought Greninja.

IF Decidueye isn't here, then it's time to stop thinking that "This Pokemon is the most likely" and start thing "THESE Pokemon COULD be likely".

dezeray112

Smash Hero

From what I've found out so far:

"Since you people keep bugging me and tagging me for Smash Ultimate info constantly today, I'll leave you a morsel to speculate over.
Decidueye isn't the Gen 7 Pokémon character."

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145/906230784

On Mimikyu and Lycanroc:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76868944/906238487

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Tbh I don't generally mind who is chosen either. Incineroar is just one of the few Pokemon I actively dislike.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
View attachment 155622

Lycanroc is Ash's Greninja this season. Not Incenaroar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom