• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is just the demo, They'll probably touch up on the models later.
Aside from Link, Zero Suit Samus’s model could use some fixing of her eyes and lips (they’re just so uncanny valley holy ****) and Lucina’s model colors are a bit...flat, especially compared to Ultimate Marth and her 4 appearance. At least make her hair a slightly more vibrant shade of blue and add a bit more shine.

I wonder, if they do DLC, instead of characters (I'm not expecting too much), would they do DLC costumes packs?
Because that is an alternative I will accept with open arms.
Why not both?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Why not both?
Mostly because I don't want to get my hopes up for DLC characters considering their emphasis on their main goal being the past fighters being included, and I was trying to present a hypothetical in the case that they do DLC without new characters.

They can do both and I'd be double happy, but that's why I limited the scope of the question, haha.
I love this idea so much! If they can do Mii Fighter Costumes, which, let's be honest, no one used. Why not just get new costumes for normal fighters?
It would also give them a chance to include characters that could otherwise potentially be Alph-like "alternate skins" not even Echo Fighters for people, like Dry Bowser.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
It was still uncalled for to put Scizor back in the Pokeballs
As someone who also has favorite pokemon they would love to see playable in Smash that have a virtual 0% chance to make it (such as Tyranitar and your mentioned Weavile/Sneasel), I would much rather see them in action as pokeball pokemon than not see them in Smash at all. As such it would make me happy if Weavile as a pokeball pokemon got brought back, and it would be pretty exciting to me if Tyranitar was made into a pokeball pokemon.

Well here's to hoping that Gardevoir being MIA is perhaps a sign that Sakurai threw a curveball with his pokemon selection, though I don't think it's remotely likely and would be happy for her just to be back as a pokeball pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a question that's unlikely to turn into pointless discourse like 90% of recent topics. What's the one like ultra wild 0% chance character that you'd think it would be great to play in smash?

Imo I would love Emerl/Gemerl from the gba sonic games to be a playable character.

In Sonic Battle this guy can learn every move from the other characters and combine them into a custom moveset, and in Advance 3 he got rebuilt and was given new attacks like missles and robotic tendrils. Basically there's a giant pool of moves to take from. Also the whole Gizoid thing was the closest thing sonic ever got to a semi consistent story arc. Shame Ken Penders Sonic Chronicles kinda ended up cancelling the whole thing by asscociation.
Merric. Definitely Merric.
Marth's best friend who hilariously shares the same voice actor. A character built around the concept of anti-air due to his wind tome, Excalibur, doing bonus damage against flying enemies. Able to pull off some neat windbox-manipulative attacks. Excalibur not enough? He's packing Elfire, Swarm, Blizzard, and perhaps a Staff or two, since he gets them after promotion. Starlight as his Final Smash writes itself.

When it comes to truly 0% characters, Merric reigns supreme.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Here's a question that's unlikely to turn into pointless discourse like 90% of recent topics. What's the one like ultra wild 0% chance character that you'd think it would be great to play in smash?

Imo I would love Emerl/Gemerl from the gba sonic games to be a playable character.

In Sonic Battle this guy can learn every move from the other characters and combine them into a custom moveset, and in Advance 3 he got rebuilt and was given new attacks like missles and robotic tendrils. Basically there's a giant pool of moves to take from. Also the whole Gizoid thing was the closest thing sonic ever got to a semi consistent story arc. Shame Ken Penders Sonic Chronicles kinda ended up cancelling the whole thing by asscociation.

Gourmet Guy. Playable Shy Guy, a new heavy character, food (...eating) based fighting mechanics, and Paper Mario representation. Come on, Sakurai, you know this is genius.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I love this idea so much! If they can do Mii Fighter Costumes, which, let's be honest, no one used. Why not just get new costumes for normal fighters?
People did buy Mii costumes.

Also, can you imagine making costumes for 60+ fighters? It's too much work for just aesthetics. At least Miis had a reason to need them.

Wambo

Smash Ace

Also, can you imagine making costumes for 60+ fighters? It's too much work for just aesthetics. At least Miis had a reason to need them.
Pretty sure he's not asking for costumes for all 60+ fighters. I can see characters like Link getting other versions of the Hero's Tunic, and Samus getting her Samus Returns suit (popular characters like them).

EDIT: People might have bought Mii costumes, but honestly, who gives two ****s about the Miis?

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Busters 2 Being released in Japan won't do anything for Yo-Kai Watch. Sakurai looks doesn't just look at home Market. Yo-Kai Watch isn't doing very hot in JP or US and Having a new game won't increase they're odds by much. If they were more popular, then maybe. And Sakurai has to know what Yo-Kai Watch is for it to even be included. you say "Even if he didn't know that." Well, If he didn't know of it, Then it won't get in smash, Because he doesn't know what it is.
I find Yokai Watch very unappealling and don't care at all for it nor have any knowledge on its success, however when arguing whether it will get content in Smash or not people have to be looking at how it was doing in late 2015, not at this moment (not that I know how it was doing at that time, but the arguments I'm seeing are focusing on the now with it). Focusing on the very recent is what leads to people thinking an Arms character is a nigh-guarantee and how Rex/Pyra are totally going to be in over Elma, and back in Smash 4 thinking Dixie Kong was so likely because of she was in Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

That's another reason I was personally suggesting it as a replacement for character DLC. I think all the time they spend making an entirely new unique character could easily be filled with making new costume skins for the characters. They could be simple (giving Link his TP outfit), a "character as a skin" like Alph was (so, Dry Bowser for Bowser), or special event related (Smash Bros Beach Episode)

Also, there's no reason to assume that every single DLC skin pack will cater to every single character ever. Using my joke example (a beach episode), in that scenario, there are a lot of characters it probably wouldn't make too much sense for a whole costume, or if they get anything it'll be minor.
Like, putting swimming trunks on Ridley might be off the table, as hilarious as it'd be. (To reiterate, I'm joking about a beach episode costume pack, but figured it'd make a relevant scenario regardless)

I'm sure if they did something like this (...and considering Bamco is working on it, I'd not be shocked if it happened), the potential sales from the costume packs would be pretty intense.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Everyone is Here was only part 1.

Everyone is Comin' is part 2 set for October. The title will only be revealed when Goku turns Super Saiyan on 3D Land.
Someone cap this, please.

That's another reason I was personally suggesting it as a replacement for character DLC. I think all the time they spend making an entirely new unique character could easily be filled with making new costume skins for the characters. They could be simple (giving Link his TP outfit), a "character as a skin" like Alph was (so, Dry Bowser for Bowser), or special event related (Smash Bros Beach Episode)

Also, there's no reason to assume that every single DLC skin pack will cater to every single character ever. Using my joke example (a beach episode), in that scenario, there are a lot of characters it probably wouldn't make too much sense for a whole costume, or if they get anything it'll be minor.
Like, putting swimming trunks on Ridley might be off the table, as hilarious as it'd be. (To reiterate, I'm joking about a beach episode costume pack, but figured it'd make a relevant scenario regardless)

I'm sure if they did something like this (...and considering Bamco is working on it, I'd not be shocked if it happened), the potential sales from the costume packs would be pretty intense.
Here's to hoping they wouldn't overdo it like Tecmo Koei did for DOA5. That game practically had a gorillion costumes.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I almost feel like Mei Ling would be the better person for talking about Rosalina, especially with the Luma being present as well.

But since the preview involves Otacon, I guess that's out of the question.
Thing is, I decided on Otacon because of Rosalina's status as "Mama," and I'm going to be referencing a certain parental figure in relation to Otacon from the Metal Gear games.

D

Deleted member

A Wii U disc can hold up to 25GB while Smash 4 Wii U came up to around 15GB, so it wasn't close to the limit. However maybe they got paranoid about hitting the limit with all the songs they have in the game and so truncated them to be safe (or they were trying to be considerate of digital buyers and making it easier for them to fit the game in their data storage)
This is also possible. I know most songs that were longer than 2 minutes were cut down, so it may have also just been a decision to make all songs roughly the same length.

Now I'm kind of curious how much space all the uncut songs would take up. There's no way it would reach the limit, but I kind of want to see how much space they saved.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
If they fix Engage the Enemy this time, all is forgiven in my book.

They won't though
They didn't fix DK Rap in the demo so I'm not too hopefull... I hope we can go past that 2 minute time limit for each song (new battlefield has around 2:30 before looping so... who knows)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is also possible. I know most songs that were longer than 2 minutes were cut down, so it may have also just been a decision to make all songs roughly the same length.

Now I'm kind of curious how much space all the uncut songs would take up. There's no way it would reach the limit, but I kind of want to see how much space they saved.
Since the Switch has shown a little more horsepower under the hood, I wonder if they will show less restraint with the songs this time.

They didn't fix DK Rap in the demo so I'm not too hopefull... I hope we can go past that 2 minute time limit for each song (new battlefield has around 2:30 before looping so... who knows)
Oh, for Rosalina's sake. What will it take for them to do something about it, having the rest of the DK Crew show up as playable in Smash 6?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just want a full version of Live and Learn and an ACTUAL vocal version of Snake Eater (unless copyright stands in the way of the latter)

I know I’ve modded my Smash 4 to add certain tracks and replace others, out of curiosity from a technological perspective where are the modded tracks stored on the Wii U, or are they via the PC? I don’t have the disk btw, I got the Smash Splat bundle and it was installed on the internal HDD

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah, i'm glad when ever we get pictures leaks after an onslought of text leaks, speaking of text leaks, hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon you got some for us?
Not enough for a session, no. None of them are very good either.
Hey I wanted ask everyone, how they would feel if Saber from the visual novel Fate/Stay Night, was a character in Smash as I was just thinking about it, I think she would be a good choice for Smash with her abilities what do you all think?

Edit: broken image
Saber is quite popular in Japan, so I could see it potentially happening. If we were to get a non-video game character though, I'd want it to be Goku, and then Saber, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Since the Switch has shown a little more horsepower under the hood, I wonder if they will show less restraint with the songs this time.
This isn't a power issue, just a storage one. But like people said, no way putting the tracks with their original times would make them go over the Wii U or Switch space limit.

I really hope that was a just a demo thing, but then again I was hoping Smash 4 using Brawl victory jingles was just a E3 demo thing and look where that got me lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’m really not a fan of the DK rap remix in the first place...and then they cut verses on top.

I’d love to see Melee’s original (almost) version return.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Saber is quite popular in Japan, so I could see it potentially happening. If we were to get a non-video game character though, I'd want it to be Goku, and then Saber, but that's just me.
I'm writing off any leaks until we get closer to release, and seem realistic. Most of the leaks running around are just jumping on the bandwagon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thing is, I decided on Otacon because of Rosalina's status as "Mama," and I'm going to be referencing a certain parental figure in relation to Otacon from the Metal Gear games.
I guess that could explain why you chose Otacon over Mei Ling.

I was thinking Mei Ling, because Rosalina and her Luma are sort of like a blood bond, much like with the Ice Climbers; Solid Snake contacted Mei Ling for information on the Ice Climbers. Also, Mei Ling could make cute comments about the Luma along the way.

But I guess I'll have to think up the codec concept myself, if I'm able to.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Saber IS a videogame character.
VNs are games. Kinda.

D

Deleted member

This will likely never happen, but if the tracks were cut for digital users, they should just have an optional free download for the uncut tracks. That way, the game takes less time to download, and if you want the full songs, you can get them without modding. Kind of like how Xenoblade X has optional downloads that speed up loading times for certain assets.

That seems to me like it'd be a given.

And the only outfit I'd use for Ryu.
I didn't seriously start playing Ryu until someone modded the bearded costume in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Saber IS a videogame character.
VNs are games. Kinda.
If you can interact with it in ways that you don't interact with a book, then ye its a game.
If you're just progressing forward that's just like flipping pages my dude

Wambo

Smash Ace
Rewatching the Subspace Emissary on YouTube... MAN...

I really hope we get SSE2 in this game. It felt really weird to just cut it out in Smash 4, when SSE gave us so many cool and amazing moments where Nintendo legends interacted with each other. It was like Avengers before Avengers even came out.

I'm hoping Sakurai pulls a 180 and announces it in the next Nintendo direct. Who cares if people uploaded the cutscenes to YouTube? It was awesome.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I personally wanna see some :ultrobinif only to confirm that Chrom is or isn’t in their FS/victory screens anymore.

If anything I’d like a new Grima-themed Final Smash for them, idk what exactly
A Grima-themed Final Smash really wouldn’t work at all for Robin considering how much they hated Grima and wanted nothing to do with him in Awakening.

If Robin’s FS really was changed, I think Morgan (of both genders) would probably be involved in some way. But I doubt they actually did change it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm hoping Sakurai pulls a 180 and announces it in the next Nintendo direct. Who cares if people uploaded the cutscenes to YouTube? It was awesome.
He thinks it spoils the experience. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you can interact with it in ways that you don't interact with a book, then ye its a game.
If you're just progressing forward that's just like flipping pages my dude
Well there's fail-states and choices... which don't ultimately do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom