• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
They just announced Busters for America, which is making it more relevant.
Yeah. But we could use that same argument to say Hello Kitty is more relevant because they made a random spin off.
And just because it's more relevant isn't the only factor here. Yo-Kai watch still isn't doin' too hot.
It'd would be certainly interesting to see. But i wouldn't hold your breath.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If that's all I get out of the next two Sundays it wouldn't be the end of the world.

"Good Ridley Shots" = Ridley getting his *** handed to him in two short matches. Yea there's a reason I haven't watched the invitational since it happened :/ (At the time besides BAYO OP I was expecting to see everyone say Ridley was trash but thankfully that's not so and I've seen some real good Ridley plays since then)
Well, it's not like it's a huge embarrassment for Ridley to get beaten by Bayo of all people. If anything, poor Sakurai probably felt embarrassed that a large audience witnessed the still OP Bayonetta tossing around his new, highly-demanded character. NA is Ridley's home turf.

Now if Ridley was beaten by someone like Jigglypuff...

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
When this event starts, we need to see gameplay of more characters. Perhaps :ultpit:, :ultsamus:, :ultpacman:, :ultmegaman: or :ultdk:, because I think I have seen too much of :ultinkling: & :ultridley:, :ultpokemontrainer:(not that I'm triggered or anything, and I get that people are very excited for them).

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Maybe it's just me but I can hardly call this a drought when we get at least 1 new song we haven't heard before every weel
Same. We're still getting updates from the Smash website. and besides. That huge reveal at E3 Is enough to keep me happy.

Even if he didn’t know of that, Busters 2 was recently released in Japan.
Busters 2 Being released in Japan won't do anything for Yo-Kai Watch. Sakurai looks doesn't just look at home Market. Yo-Kai Watch isn't doing very hot in JP or US and Having a new game won't increase they're odds by much. If they were more popular, then maybe. And Sakurai has to know what Yo-Kai Watch is for it to even be included. you say "Even if he didn't know that." Well, If he didn't know of it, Then it won't get in smash, Because he doesn't know what it is.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's been a little over a month at this point, if this isn't a drought then we're extremely close to it being one.
Well seeing as went from March-June with no info I can totally see us going longer with "no info" (that's super subjective as getting roughly 1 new screenshot and 1 song a week is more than nothing. But I get people want different new info on the game).

I know it's been shut down a million times, but Bill specifically saying closer to December opposed to just be patient makes me feel we won't get any "big" smash news for the rest of the Summer at least.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Everyone is Here was only part 1.

Everyone is Comin' is part 2 set for October. The title will only be revealed when Goku turns Super Saiyan on 3D Land.
You joke, but the new Broly movie is coming out in Japan a week after Smash Ultimate.

:warioc:

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Guys, quickly! Name every leaked character that has been related to SSBU, so that we can all collectively sigh and cry (or celebrate :troll:) if no announcements are made! Someone make a list so we can check it off!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I like how we're calling this a drought despite the two month window of nothing we had between the Inkling trailer and E3.

This is nothing folks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Same. We're still getting updates from the Smash website. and besides. That huge reveal at E3 Is enough to keep me happy.

Busters 2 Being released in Japan won't do anything for Yo-Kai Watch. Sakurai looks doesn't just look at home Market. Yo-Kai Watch isn't doing very hot in JP or US and Having a new game won't increase they're odds by much. If they were more popular, then maybe. And Sakurai has to know what Yo-Kai Watch is for it to even be included. you say "Even if he didn't know that." Well, If he didn't know of it, Then it won't get in smash, Because he doesn't know what it is.
Level-5 IPs are the definition of Flavor of the Month anyways; they start, get their time in the sun, grow too big too fast, then everyone tires of them and L5 moves on from them until they decide to bring some of them back (e.g. Inazuma Eleven). At least the Layton series has more or less stayed relevant enough, but who knows how long that lasts until the next Smash?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Plot twist: The Ultimate / Aces tournament event is an excuse to announce Chain Chomp as a playable Smash fighter.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I like how we're calling this a drought despite the two month window of nothing we had between the Inkling trailer and E3.

This is nothing folks.
Honestly. I wouldn't classify this as a drought. We still got the SSBU Blog.
I can also say, We will probably get at least one new thing at the tournament. Not saying it will be something big. but it will be something.

Level-5 IPs are the definition of Flavor of the Month anyways; they start, get their time in the sun, grow too big too fast, then everyone tires of them and L5 moves on from them until they decide to bring some of them back (e.g. Inazuma Eleven). At least the Layton series has more or less stayed relevant enough, but who knows how long that lasts until the next Smash?
I wouldn't say they grew too big too fast...We're just kind of having a sonic the hedgehog situation here. People enjoy it, then get out of it.
Except Level 5 Lost their fanbase way earlier than sonic did.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Someone drew potential Kirby hats, haha.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8yr6p7 Honestly these are pretty cute, particularly the Mimikyu one.

I kinda need K. Rool Kirby to have a big, red left eye though.
While these are pretty cute I'd actually perfer the Mimikyu one to give Kirby the drawn on face.

However I also have a feeling it could just be the ears like Pikachu and Pichu..which would be boring

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Plot twist: The Ultimate / Aces tournament event is an excuse to announce Chain Chomp as a playable Smash fighter.
Keep in mind we haven't seen the Chain Chomp Assist Trophy yet. ;)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
That's as logical as the calls for Dark Samus, Shadow, Skull Kid, Isabelle, and Ashley if we are being pedantic :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's as logical as the calls for Dark Samus, Shadow, Skull Kid, Isabelle, and Ashley if we are being pedantic :p
Which are all highly requested characters, which means Chain Chomp is 100% confirmed to be playable.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When this event starts, we need to see gameplay of more characters. Perhaps :ultpit:, :ultsamus:, :ultpacman:, :ultmegaman: or :ultdk:, because I think I have seen too much of :ultinkling: & :ultridley:, :ultpokemontrainer:(not that I'm triggered or anything, and I get that people are very excited for them).
I personally wanna see some :ultrobinif only to confirm that Chrom is or isn’t in their FS/victory screens anymore.

If anything I’d like a new Grima-themed Final Smash for them, idk what exactly

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As aggravating as content droughts can be, I like the periods when we know stuff about the game but there's enough unkown to fuel speculation.

Gives us time to mourn the lost (Though some characters are still in the denial phase...) and to reassess who could make it.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
As aggravating as content droughts can be, I like the periods when we know stuff about the game but there's enough unkown to fuel speculation.

Gives us time to mourn the lost (Though some characters are still in the denial phase...) and to reassess who could make it.
I agree. We need more optimism like this.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I will wait for when Waluigi fans still try to hope he becomes playable :yeahboi:.

Anyway, guys, check this out:

Keep in mind that Brawl Link's model here is pre-rendered, but the final product is not very different. What do you guys think about the changes (knee jokes incoming)?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I will wait for when Waluigi fans still try to hope he becomes playable :yeahboi:.

Keep in mind that Brawl Link's model here is pre-rendered, but the final product is not very different. What do you guys think about the changes (knee jokes incoming)?
Someone on reddit got downvoted to hell by saying something along the lines of Ultimate Link's short shorts being okay what's the big deal

Which I agree with ayyyye

Iridium

Smash Hero
Someone on reddit got downvoted to hell by saying something along the lines of Ultimate Link's short shorts being okay what's the big deal

Which I agree with ayyyye
Yeah, the TP bandwagon is big. But I don't personally have a problem with either. The Tunic of the Wild makes me think of the original Link, so I see some nostalgia in that. Link's face in SSBU does look a bit, uh, plastic, so maybe perhaps that could touch on that.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Honestly... the BotW boxers look terrible.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I get what you're trying to say here, but this is also a game that has Gaur Plain (Night) and Environmental Noises. Considering that the original track is 8.6 MB, while the Smash 4 one is 7.61 MB and sampled at a higher bitrate, I think it's definitely a storage issue.
A Wii U disc can hold up to 25GB while Smash 4 Wii U came up to around 15GB, so it wasn't close to the limit. However maybe they got paranoid about hitting the limit with all the songs they have in the game and so truncated them to be safe (or they were trying to be considerate of digital buyers and making it easier for them to fit the game in their data storage).

Quick thought I had at the end of my shift: when talking about returning stages, people bring up how they think Sector Z won't return since it's basically just a bigger version of Corneria. I'd like to counter that by mentioning that we have a bunch of battlefield clones and that's not even counting the literal 'we made Battlefield versions of every stage' thing. Dreamland 64 (which was actually made more similar to Battlefield in Sm4sh due to the size being reduced), Yoshi's Story and Midgar are all variations of Battlefield. You also see people badly wanting Fountain of Dreams back (myself included) and yet all that stage really is is another Battlefield but with side platforms that have altering heights. There's also the mentioned fact that 8 player Smash is back and so Sector Z would be perfect for that mode. I actually really dislike how some small stages are able to be used in that mode probably partially due to never having played that mode with 5 or more people. Castle Siege is the most offensive but Battlefield and Dreamland are pretty bad too. Dreamland would've been great if it kept the size it had in Melee!

Anyways, I'm somewhere like 150 or 200ish pages behind. Anything interesting going on here currently?
With the Battlefield clones, the main appeal is their competitive value and how the differences within them can have a noticeable impact on matchups (while in the case of Midgar it has all those stage hazards thrown onto it to set it apart). With more stuff catering to competitive players in Ultimate, it makes sense they would be brought back, while other "redundant" stages like Sector Z aren't. The main thing it has going for it is 8-player Smash appeal as you said, but it's possible Corneria got increased in size a bit in Ultimate (I know in Brawl it got a pretty significant size decrease, and if it was more like it was in Melee it could work welll as is for 8-player Smash). Overall bringing back the stages is probably a matter of priority, and Sector Z being just a larger Corneria with a different aesthetic, that never seemed popular to begin with, makes it sensible why it could be a low priority stage that fails to make the cut (or we're all offbase here and it's just the truly redundant stages like Flat Zone 1/2 and technically impossible stages like Pac-Maze that aren't being brought back).

At least the stage has an Omega form, but I guess that's a rather lousy excuse if you want more stage variety.

Anyway, Paper Mario isn't the only stage to have this kind of issue, as 75m also felt like a mess to fight on.
75M is also an awful barely-plyable stage and there's probably few people who would defend it as anything else, but at least it has platforms for everyone to fight on at all times.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yeah, the TP bandwagon is big. But I don't personally have a problem with either. The Tunic of the Wild makes me think of the original Link, so I see some nostalgia in that. Link's face in SSBU does look a bit, uh, plastic, so maybe perhaps that could touch on that.
Honestly... the BotW boxers look terrible.
This is just the demo, They'll probably touch up on the models later.

Iridium

Smash Hero
This is just the demo, They'll probably touch up on the models later.
Yeah, I know. I just wonder how Link's model always seems to have some sort of problem almost every time a new game is revealed. I kind of like this design though.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wonder, if they do DLC, instead of characters (I'm not expecting too much), would they do DLC costumes packs?
Because that is an alternative I will accept with open arms.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I wonder, if they do DLC, instead of characters (I'm not expecting too much), would they do DLC costumes packs?
Because that is an alternative I will accept with open arms.
I love this idea so much! If they can do Mii Fighter Costumes, which, let's be honest, no one used. Why not just get new costumes for normal fighters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom