• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Frisk being some kind of summoner character makes about as much sense as Shulk doing the same with his companions, or a Fire Emblem character summoning their allies. At best, they'd be cameo's in Frisk's Final Smash like Dunban, Riki, and Fiora are for Shulk.

Plus the entire gimmick of Frisk's character is based around them being able to choose not to fight, and the fact that Frisk is not the most recognizable character in the game, nor the most popular, and the fact that Frisk is about as expressive as a block of wood. They don't fulfill any of the criteria that Sakurai lays down for potential characters. (Nor, arguably, does an Undertale character in general. But we're talking about the merits of the characters in comparison to each other, and in that regard, Frisk is DEFINITELY not the frontrunner)
The Block of wood argument is true. but the same can be said for Pokemon trainer.
Your other arguments are pretty solid though. Just makes kinda more sense to me than just one character that isn't even the protagonist or something. Kinda like having Luigi without Mario the way i see it. Pretty solid argument though, like i said

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was gonna continue ignoring your comments been then I eagle-eyed "Overestimating the chances of Mimikyu" and then you bring up Buzzwole, in the same post, as if its relevent.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean other people are overestimating anything. I don't know why this is a hard concept for people to grasp.

Just leave the Mimikyu topic alone, ffs. No one benefits from you coming in and saying it doesn't have a chance every 20 pages. We know you think that. No one needs reminding.
"[Your favorite Pokémon] doesn't have a chance at all. A mere Poké Ball at best. Not like the most underrated and logical choice...

*pulls name from hat*

...Maractus."

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one that thinks the Ultimate theme sounds better than the Brawl and Melee theme?

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to say, after looking closely at the model I don’t think she’ll be an Assist Trophy like many speculate, Assist Trophies tend to have lower detail than the normal fighters (In fact in Smash 4 their fingers weren’t even fully modeled), but Fiora is almost as detailed as Shulk, so for that much effort to go into a model like that I don’t think they’d go the Assist Trophy route, but not sure about a playable fighter either. Once again, we may never know, but the inclusion of her in Shulk’s Final Smash is very mysterious to say the least.
You had me curious, so I went to check myself, and... wow.

She sticks out like a sore thumb compared to Dunban. Especially her hair!

I've already used up my weekly allocation of tin foil hat theories, but if I hadn't... Fiora does have a similar fighting style as Elma does... If the latter got in using her dual blades, an Echo Fighter technically isn't impossible!

Or it's simply because she's a newer addition on better hardware, allowing for more detail. Shut up and let me dream! XP

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Can we just accept that Sakurai would make even Magikarp look good if he felt like adding it as playable?

The man came up with fully fleshed out movesets for toys/peripherals, pilots that never leave their vehicles, and a 2D OC made up of a bunch of generic still frames.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I've already used up my weekly allocation of tin foil hat theories, but if I hadn't... Fiora does have a similar fighting style as Elma does... If the latter got in using her dual blades, an Echo Fighter technically isn't impossible!

Or it's simply because she's a newer addition on better hardware, allowing for more detail. Shut up and let me dream! XP
Fiora as an Elma Echo/Semi-Echo for future Smash?? Maybe even DLC if they pull off some kinda miracle and replace her with idk, Melia in the FS??

If anything the fact she even has such a high quality model could mean she was fairly high in the ballot, like say top 20?

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Can we just accept that Sakurai would make even Magikarp look good if he felt like adding it as playable?

The man came up with fully fleshed out movesets for toys, pilots that never leave their vehicles, and a 2D OC made up of a bunch of generic still frames.
He would be too OP so that's why Sakurai doesn't include him the roster

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
E EchoAegis you might wanna censor the f-bombs and s-strikes on the image you attached in Paint. Just to know.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
He would be too OP so that's why Sakurai doesn't include him the roster
As great as that image is you might want to remove it or edit it so you don’t get in trouble for swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Actually that does work actually, the way they fight is notably similar, and we’ve seen clones of newcomers before (Marth and Roy anyone?).

And it works because people who may prefer the original Xenoblade get what they want while people who may prefer X get what they want, it’s a perfect balance.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The man came up with fully fleshed out movesets for toys/peripherals, pilots that never leave their vehicles, and a 2D OC made up of a bunch of generic still frames.
But if we did that, then we wouldn't be able to belittle the competition and make our own Pokemon look better by comparison.

Jokes aside, the "X character can't work because of its design" argument was stupid from the very beginning. Regardless of how the character looks, if Sakurai really wants a character playable, you'd better believe he'll find a way to make it happen.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So I was wondering what your reactions would be if....

1) if the release date is delayed to Spring 2019
2) if we never got Mewtwo, Dr Mario, Lucas, or Roy in Smash 4 in light of everyone returning for Ultimate.
3) if the game was clearly stated by Sakurai as being a port of Smash 4.
4) if we only saw a handful of veterans plus the three newcomers yet get daily veteran reveals via daily blogs. So some characters are revealed through the daily blog.
5) if Sakurai announced that this is his last Smash game.
6) if the three revealed newcomers were the only ones
1) Sadden but, hype at the time cause that means more newcomers and content.

2) My hype for Mewtwo and Roy would go through the roof.

3) I'd be disappointed, especially if we didn't get those new mechanics, but I'd still buy the game.

4) It would make the wait a bit more tolerable.

5) Highly doubt it we've been through this song and dance already, but if he was serious this time, I'd be sad yet thankful for all he's done for us fans.

6) I be disappointed, although "EVERYONE IS HERE" is nothing to sneeze at, getting to see who the newcomers are, is an important part of Smash. And only receiving three, with none of the newcomers I wanted having a chance to be included, would be a downer.
I'm gonna say something kinda weird here...

Whats the ONE Smash character you would really love to have in that has literally 0 chance of being in Smash Brothers...

Because for me, it's Jehuty from Zone of the Enders. It would be totally rad just to play as them, but not only does nobody know who the hell they are... Jehuty would either be uncharacteristically heavy and slow, or would have some changes to them that would offset them being big and fast
Kat from Gravity Rush, great games, greater character.

If she was an alt of Elma that'd be great.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If she was an alt of Elma that'd be great.
I don’t actually think they’d work as alts due to the fact that, while they are similar in characteristics, they do have their own differences that set them apart. If they really had to, and I’d be completely fine with this, being Echos of each other does work.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Am I the only one that thinks the Ultimate theme sounds better than the Brawl and Melee theme?
Melee's theme is still my favorite, but Ultimate's is better than Brawl's imo, and leagues above Smash 4's. When it kicks into the second and more energetic part (after the "Everyone is here" in the trailer) it just makes me smile, it just has such a positive feeling to it. Excited to hear a clean rip of the menu version eventually.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually that does work actually, the way they fight is notably similar, and we’ve seen clones of newcomers before (Marth and Roy anyone?).

And it works because people who may prefer the original Xenoblade get what they want while people who may prefer X get what they want, it’s a perfect balance.
Yeah okay, but I don't exactly recall Fiora going all gangsta on a mechon and pulling out twin sub-machine guns on them.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I don’t actually think they’d work as alts due to the fact that, while they are similar in characteristics, they do have their own differences that set them apart. If they really had to, and I’d be completely fine with this, being Echos of each other does work.
Yeah, would mind her being an echo either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah okay, but I don't exactly recall Fiora going all gangsta on a mechon and pulling out twin sub-machine guns on them.
She could be a semi echo and use laser drones instead of guns (weapons like Fiora’s laser weapon exist in X as part of the...crap, which class was it again? I forgot the name but it’s the one where you use the Plasma Sword, those laser weapons are the default ranged weapons. I used that class for Cross in my playthrough.)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
True but I’m talking in terms of how they fight with their blades, without the guns (which I don’t even know if they’d have since unlike Bayonetta’s which are exaggerated, Elma’s guns are realistic) they’re mostly pretty similar, and I’ve actually seen a lot of ideas and concepts thrown around that they’ve shared (Most notably being the Tension system).
She could be a semi echo and use laser drones instead of guns (weapons like Fiora’s laser weapon exist in X as part of the...crap, which class was it again? I forgot the name but it’s the one where you use the Plasma Sword, those laser weapons are the default ranged weapons. I used that class for Cross in my playthrough.)
On second thought this also works!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Melee theme was awful so it's not hard to surpass. I must admit, I like Brawl theme having lyrics but Ultimate is the best.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we’re also talking about Final Smashes, I could see it going two ways, Fiora’s could either be changed to Final Cross, or if Elma has the Skell and we’re gonna copy it than she could have the Face Nemesis as a replacement.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh yeah! The drones in X are called Psycho Launchers and are the default ranged weapons of the Enforcer, Blast Fencer and Galactic Knight classes.

PS Blast Fencer/Galactic Knight too OP it’ll breeze you through the game faster than the other classes

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just want an intro that's as good as Melee's. A good intro to go with a good song elevates both SO much more. Intros like this or this can tie the songs and cinematic so closely together that they're inseparable.
(And yes, I know Melee is literally just the E3 trailer)

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh yeah! The drones in X are called Psycho Launchers and are the default ranged weapons of the Enforcer, Blast Fencer and Galactic Knight classes.

PS Blast Fencer/Galactic Knight too OP it’ll breeze you through the game faster than the other classes
So yeah, if Fiora were to be an Echo of Elma she could use the Laser Drones instead to contrast. The idea of them being Echos works because they have similarities, but different characteristics, which is exactly the concept behind Echos in the first place.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Today marks the one month return of Japan Time. What do you all think about it this time around? I like the weekly music updates and the fact that every veteran got their own movie. The format kind of makes it more agonizing to wait for new stuff, especially with how less than a 1/4th of the returning veterans have been recapped so far. Thoughts?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ok but how do you know the leaker didn't piggyback from that?
That's why I asked about the piggyback
The original text leak that mentioned the Funko Pop was wayyyyy before the photo leak and they are unrelated.

HOWEVER while this is an interesting coincidence I really doubt that text leak.
It predicts the whole direct which rarely happens that early before a direct (2 weeks or so).
It's a freaking wish list of games honestly, games that, if they were ready to announce a month after E3 why not announce them at E3 especially when Nintendo's first party support was weak other than Smash.
And finally the direct is slated for July 22nd, a Sunday. That is not gunna happen so unless the leaker got that, out of all the details, wrong.

Basically be excited for Pokemon Funko Pops, don't get your hopes up on that "leak".

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also for those wondering it is possible for Echos to have different attributes from each other, an example being Daisy and Peach, Daisy’s animations are much more lively and bouncy than Peach’s, additionally she uses Blue Toad instead of Red Toad, so they did separate them even if they are still Echoes.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The original text leak that mentioned the Funko Pop was wayyyyy before the photo leak and they are unrelated.

HOWEVER while this is an interesting coincidence I really doubt that text leak.
It predicts the whole direct which rarely happens that early before a direct (2 weeks or so).
It's a freaking wish list of games honestly, games that, if they were ready to announce a month after E3 why not announce them at E3 especially when Nintendo's first party support was weak other than Smash.
And finally the direct is slated for July 22nd, a Sunday. That is not gunna happen so unless the leaker got that, out of all the details, wrong.

Basically be excited for Pokemon Funko Pops, don't get your hopes up on that "leak".
I'm not its just interesting there's a hair line of truth

But really exact dates are never right

Besides the second one of that 15th smash thing is on the 22nd

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I still stand by that Fates is the worst game Nintendo has ever put out so. Yeah pretty much.
(I don't know any other nintendo game that gives you 8 adopted siblings and 1 blood cousin to have incestual relations with so)
I usually ignore comments like this but for an opinion this comes pretty close to being objectively wrong. Fates wasn't even close to being the worst game Nintendo put out in just 2015 yet alone ever. Remember Amiibo Festival?

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
"[Your favorite Pokémon] doesn't have a chance at all. A mere Poké Ball at best. Not like the most underrated and logical choice...

*pulls name from hat*

...Maractus."
Haha frick I'd love maractus as a character , just for the surprise factor alone. :p I love the truly surprising character reveals the most!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

*pulls name from hat*

...Maractus."
I'd low key be excited for Maractus.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Also for those wondering it is possible for Echos to have different attributes from each other, an example being Daisy and Peach, Daisy’s animations are much more lively and bouncy than Peach’s, additionally she uses Blue Toad instead of Red Toad, so they did separate them even if they are still Echoes.
Let's say Elma is announced and Fiora is a echo fighter based on her do you think she would still be In Shulk final smash if someone was playing as her?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom