• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Soren is literally my least favorite Fire Emblem character. I think the general consensus is a big fat "no" for Soren being in anything ever again, lol.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool was also this in Smash 4. :p

He will always be among the most "leaked" characters until he actually shows up. :V
Eh... I saw a lot of stuff without K. Rool during Smash 4 speculation. He definitely wasn't as universal as he is now.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Most controversial newcomer is easily Brawl Meta Knight in my opinion.

No other character has actually been banned from competitive play.

Eh... I saw a lot of stuff without K. Rool during Smash 4 speculation. He definitely wasn't as universal as he is now.
I agree with this. Dixie Kong appeared in more leaks than K. Rool. Funny how it's the opposite now.

But we also haven't gotten any truly substantial leaks so far. We only have Vergeben and that puzzle leak, and neither of those leaks are on the level of Gematsu or other notable leaks.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

He will always be among the most "leaked" characters until he actually shows up. :V
Yea. I think K. Rool could have a chance, but I don't think it's very likely. Definitely not as likely as some other characters, but I could still see it being possible. Personally, I don't care for him, but it'd be nice for the people that do want him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've always said K. Rool and Simon are like Shulk and Palutena during 4 speculation. People will not humor fake leaks without them.
You could say the same about Chrom. Plus Shulk didn't go from plausible to "sure thing" until Gematsu.

Mmm, I remember once people caught on to the whole timeliness of the additions, Dixie began to become more prevalent on rosters until the ballot put an end to that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
With the recent talks of Bayonetta being determined 2 weeks into the ballot, I need to ponder something:
Who is the most controversial smash newcomer of all time?
I see Bayonetta, Miis, Dark Pit, Ice Climbers (Melee and Brawl Era), and Meta Knight (Brawl Era) as some of the most controversial newcomers most of the time (for different reasons), but I can't really pick one out of those that would be best representative of the most controversial.
The most negative initial reaction to a newcomer was R.O.B., poor guy got absolutely torched by the community, everything wrong with the game was because of him. Luckily everyone simmered down again eventually.

I think the most controversial character throughout a longer period of time has been Bayonetta, not only because she was a controversial inclusion to begin with, but having to pay for by far the best character in the game, and one who had such a toxic playstyle as well, has really gotten everyone super salty about her. She's the only character who I've actually seen people boo in real life, both during various gatherings for Ultimate's reveal and during the Invitational, she's hated by casuals and hardcores alike. Hopefully some significant nerfs and some of the fan favorites who didn't make Smash 4 getting in will make everyone ease up on her over time, I'm not a fan of her myself, but it's a shame any character should have that reception.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope. Gengar was a flavor of the month character.

I say let's keep it that way.
More like flavor of the week, but still. :p

It at least was far more interesting than the usual choices in "leaks" like Decidueye and Mimikyu.
Especially when Gengar makes the most sense (at least to me) as an older Pokémon getting included nowadays.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I've never seen anyone else come up with this idea: what if Miiverse did come back and the posts that appear were chosen as the best from Smash 4 by the localisation teams? That way the stage could return and no one would have to worry about explicit content and low effort garbage.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
With the recent talks of Bayonetta being determined 2 weeks into the ballot, I need to ponder something:
I see Bayonetta, Miis, Dark Pit, Ice Climbers (Melee and Brawl Era), and Meta Knight (Brawl Era) as some of the most controversial newcomers most of the time (for different reasons), but I can't really pick one out of those that would be best representative of the most controversial.
:4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin:

He came AFTER Fire Emblem had 5 characters and was considered grossly over-repped by many already, a series that already got a DLC character in the form of Roy, came from a game that was even out yet for most of us, and was the only DLC Nintendo newcomer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mmm, I remember once people caught on to the whole timeliness of the additions, Dixie began to become more prevalent on rosters until the ballot put an end to that.
Eh, it's not so much "timelessness" as it is "who is relevant now". :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've never seen anyone else come up with this idea: what if Miiverse did come back and the posts that appear were chosen as the best from Smash 4 by the localisation teams? That way the stage could return and no one would have to worry about explicit content and low effort garbage.
Then you get the issue of repetition which kinda goes against the gimmick of updated posts

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
My most wanted returning stages not yet showed in Ultimate:
  • 5: Jungle Hijinx
  • 4: Mute City (3DS)
  • 3: Pictochat
  • 2: Fountain of Dreams
  • 1: Delfino Island

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
:ultduckhunt:

Ashley from warioware and bandana dee from kirby is getting close to that point too
Which makes me wonder who will take that position after/if all those people make it in. When the old leaders are gone, new ones takes over or are chosen by the public and get all the attention. An era of Smash speculation is ending with this installment, just from Daisy, Ridley and Inkling already being in there.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
i will point out a mistake the leak i posted did though

the mistake is they forgot to mention if Daisy, Ridley and Inklings are included or not

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Problem is, there’s going to be 10+ characters that never had any Miiverse posts about them.

Playing as Snake on Miiverse versus Ridley would mean, what, nothing shows up? Or that some other character’s posts would?

The Splatoon 2 option is the only one that makes sense to me if they were going to do it, but realistically I don’t think they’ll bother.

StormC

Smash Hero
Miiverse is dead folks.

Also Corrin easily takes the cake for most reviled Smash character. People were actually excited about Bayonetta before playing as her (or against her).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eh, it's not so much "timelessness" as it is "who is relevant now". :p
Timeliness, not timelessness. Who is timely. I agree.

I wish the roster was based more around timelessness. Then the characters I support might actually have a shot, like Scarf Boy.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Miiverse is dead folks.

Also Corrin easily takes the cake for most reviled Smash character. People were actually excited about Bayonetta before playing as her (or against her).
I fee like if Elma makes it in, she'd be pretty hated too, at least among Xenoblade fans, since most people seem to want Rex/Pyra over her. Even though Rex is pretty much impossible, and Elma already seems very likely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Miiverse is dead folks.

Some were, some weren't. On the list of most controversial Smash characters, Bayo would chart well, pre or post release.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most controversial newcomer is easily Brawl Meta Knight in my opinion.

He was definitely controversial, but I think Brawl's awful competitive gameplay took a lot of the heat he would otherwise have gotten, the shock that was going from Melee to Brawl took center stage for most, if the game itself wasn't fun to play or watch then Meta Knight was very much a secondary problem. I also think the decision to ban him ended up being more controversial than the character himself, when it comes to banning any characters at all the Smash community is extremely touchy.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Her ban wasn't nearly as widespread as Brawl Meta Knight's, but some communities did ban Bayonetta for a while.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Miiverse is dead folks.

if we're talking smash 4, this

if we're talking smash as a whole, boy golly ROB and the melee clones received a lot of heat just for existing

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I try never to speak for everyone, so for me, Dark Pit and Lucina really angered me. The very, very minimal differences they had from Pit/Marth did not warrant them being anything besides alts like Alph.
The most negative initial reaction to a newcomer was R.O.B., poor guy got absolutely torched by the community, everything wrong with the game was because of him. Luckily everyone simmered down again eventually.

I think the most controversial character throughout a longer period of time has been Bayonetta, not only because she was a controversial inclusion to begin with, but having to pay for by far the best character in the game, and one who had such a toxic playstyle as well, has really gotten everyone super salty about her. She's the only character who I've actually seen people boo in real life, both during various gatherings for Ultimate's reveal and during the Invitational, she's hated by casuals and hardcores alike. Hopefully some significant nerfs and some of the fan favorites who didn't make Smash 4 getting in will make everyone ease up on her over time, I'm not a fan of her myself, but it's a shame any character should have that reception.
:4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin::4corrin:

He came AFTER Fire Emblem had 5 characters and was considered grossly over-repped by many already, a series that already got a DLC character in the form of Roy, came from a game that was even out yet for most of us, and was the only DLC Nintendo newcomer.
:ultduckhunt:

Which makes me wonder who will take that position after/if all those people make it in. When the old leaders are gone, new ones takes over or are chosen by the public and get all the attention. An era of Smash speculation is ending with this installment, just from Daisy, Ridley and Inkling already being in there.
I can see the viewpoints of all of these except Duck Hunt (I forgot how negative the initial reception to ROB was when he first arrived in Brawl over many other memorable characters, although people definitely warmed up to him over the passage of time, unlike bayonetta) being characters people would dislike. I don't think Duck Hunt was actively disliked at the launch of Smash 4 (except for maybe how they played?), but that's just my personal experience/opinion coming through.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ice Climbe r banned from the current Brawl meta and not Meta Knight? It's a barely existing community but I remember hearing that a few weeks ago
No, probably at some really small local nobody cares about but no Ice Climbers are not banned. Also, Meta Knight was banned but there were literally too many Meta Knight mains at that point to enforce it, some biggish T.O.s said no and ran Meta Knight legal tournaments and it caused the Unity Ruleset to fall apart. You'll sometimes see Brawl Ice Climbers and Meta Knight banned tournaments (where both of them are banned and not just one of them) though, since basically everyone thinks they're busted and unhealthy for the game.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He may not be the most controversial character full stop, but as far as I'm concerned ROB received the most undue flack of any character.

I can see the viewpoints of disliking a clone or a character you believe doesn't fit in a Nintendo crossover, or a promotional addition (I don't agree with all of them, but I understand them). But all ROB did was get revealed last (of original characters) and not be... Mega Man, Ridley, Geno, etc. He was the ultimate scapegoat.

I'd like to believe that's why WFT was revealed so early, because she got some heat, but I could see her being ROB's successor had she not shown up til the end.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't know if they are controversial per say, but isn't the Ice Climbers in both Melee and Brawl very unpopular at high level due to wobble/infinite chaingrab?

If the answer is yes, I hope Sakurai can make them actual characters instead of salt maker in Ultimate. I don't want them to be bad, but I prefer if they could find a way to remove the bad reputation those two had for two games now.

StormC

Smash Hero
R.O.B. had the misfortune of following up an awesomely stacked pre-release roster. Meta Knight, Wario, Snake, Diddy, Dedede, Sonic, Olimar...

Unless Brawl's unlockables had some combination of Ridley, K. Rool, and Mega Man, it was bound to disappoint.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Leak is obviously fake, but credits to the guy for coming up with the most "out there" idea for an echo that I've seen so far. Soren over Robin would be such a weird choice, considering Soren doesn't use a sword, and isn't exactly a popular request to begin with.

Honestly, I doubt FE will get much of anything. I think Sakurai took the "too much FE" thing to heart.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't know if they are controversial per say, but isn't the Ice Climbers in both Melee and Brawl very unpopular at high level due to wobble/infinite chaingrab?

If the answer is yes, I hope Sakurai can make them actual characters instead of salt maker in Ultimate. I don't want them to be bad, but I prefer if they could find a way to remove the bad reputation those two had for two games now.
Not just high level, they're unpopular at all levels, you'll see tons of saltly reactions to getting wobbled in pools and what-not, although Brawl Ice Climbers are a little different than melee Ice Climbers in that they're legitimately broken and overpowered instead of having simply one broken tool, so you'll get even more negative reactions from them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Soren is literally my least favorite Fire Emblem character. I think the general consensus is a big fat "no" for Soren being in anything ever again, lol.
With Soren it just depends on where one falls on the "does his backstory justify his attitude" argument, from what I've seen. He's not my favorite by any means, but I can appreciate his character given that

I like how he shows a lot of Tellius' Laguz vs Beorc conflict by being a child of both, making him fit in with neither.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

We’ve already seen how Sakurai decided to fix that particular issue. The second climber can’t grab anymore and just cheers while the other throws. Wobbling and chaingrabs are already dead.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

They're definitely unpopular, but not so much that they're actively hated by everyone, there are many ways around wobbling in Melee so they aren't considered anywhere near top tier, while they're still outdone by Meta Knight in Brawl.

Everything indicates that any form of chain grab shenanigans with them are impossible in Ultimate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom