• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So time for a dumb game that no one will like, but me possibly.

Pick a set of five characters and have them swap default costumes.

The "<->" pointing to who swapping with who

:ultbayonetta: <->:ultfalcon:

:ultinkling: <->:ultwiifittrainer:

:ultkingdedede:<->:ultdk:

:ultlittlemac:<->:ultvillager:

:ultzss:<->:ultsnake:
This is unnecessary and just random.
There is no "ballot winner", though???
Bayonetta won the ballot!
Why is no one still over the ballot....
Sakurai chose Bayonetta to be in Smash Bros, so she wan the ballot.

Last edited by a moderator:

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
MK has a role as an antagonist in those games and was an established character, Lucario has ~5 lines of text dedicated to him and a statue, I don't personally consider them on the same level.

It's semantics anyways, especially since Lucario's cameo in Red Rescue Team was like, not even a year before his big movie debut (i cant remember the exact years, didnt PMD come out in 2003?), it's just that it was relatively small compared to the rest of the game and a reward you get and the VERY VERY end of the postgame meaning most casual players probably didn't even see it.
I think if we're going by what console the character first debuted in, its still accurate to put Lucario on GBA. Its misleading to put him under the DS category. even if he had little relevance to the actual game. I do see where you're getting at however, I just don't think its right if we're going by that criteria.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is unnecessary and just random.

Bayonetta won the ballot!
Why is no one still over the ballot....
Sakurai chose Bayonetta to be in Smash Bros, so she wan the ballot.
It's Morley that they're are multiple winners in the ballot is the theory

The best one prize would be the last dlc character in smash bros 4 and base in the next one and the other winners will be in the base roster of ultimate

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's Morley that they're are multiple winners in the ballot is the theory

The best one prize would be the last dlc character in smash bros 4 and base in the next one and the other winners will be in the base roster of ultimate
Still a baseless theory because we don't know who won the ballot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That was more of a cameo, he wasn't playable till the DS.
If being playable for the first time was what mattered, Ganondorf should be listed as a GameCube character too.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
How is that possible? It either has to be 1 off or something or exactly tied.
The one with the most votes is the winner. There can not be multiple winners.
They never released the results of the ballot, so I guess the general idea is that Bayonetta was just chosen from the top however many characters as the "winner" to be added as DLC as promotion for Bayonetta 2 since it was a recent release and the rest of the top characters at the top of the ballot were held for Ultimate.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ok, I'll give you that. Even though I would say Snake is less recognizable to the general public. The question still stands though, does Bayonetta not belong?

Really though, "Indie" shouldn't be a reason to exclude a character. If a character has a recognizable design, moveset potential, a fanbase/support, and a connection to Nintendo, then they're just as deserving as anyone else.
And I bet the general public wouldn’t be able to recognize Megaman and Cloud. Still though, they’re gaming legends.

And I personally wasn’t happy with Bayo’s inclusion, because obviously my preference for 3rd parties were for them to be big faces in gaming. But I guess now that she’s practically exclusive to Nintendo now, she’s a different case I guess.

As for indies, I just prefer big names, that’s all. I won’t get hyped for Shantae, but I’d lose my **** over Doomguy or Crash. That’s pretty much it.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I mean at least we were talking about speculation.
The thread is called "Smash Ultimate Discussion". Anything Smash Ultimate-related is on topic, even if it's "random and unnecessary." Lighten up a little-- we need to fill the coming months with something fun. *shrug*

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I think if we're going by what console the character first debuted in, its still accurate to put Lucario on GBA. Its misleading to put him under the DS category. even if he had little relevance to the actual game. I do see where you're getting at however, I just don't think its right if we're going by that criteria.
Ah, I get what you're saying, that's fair I suppose. Lucario does fall in some weird purgatory since he was prepped as the promotional Gen 4 Pokemon long before DP even dropped.
If being playable for the first time was what mattered, Ganondorf should be listed as a GameCube character too.
See my other post, the distinction was not whether or not being playable was a criteria, but rather their character's role in the game. Ganon has been an established antagonist but Lucario was not much more than a slight teaser made for the hardcore players.

D

Deleted member

The thread is called "Smash Ultimate Discussion". Anything Smash Ultimate-related is on topic, even if it's "random and unnecessary." Lighten up a little-- we need to fill the coming months with something fun. *shrug*
I guess you are right.
You are right.
Even if Ganondorf changed form, Ganondorf still originated from the GameCube.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
And I bet the general public wouldn’t be able to recognize Megaman and Cloud. Still though, they’re gaming legends.

And I personally wasn’t happy with Bayo’s inclusion, because obviously my preference for 3rd parties were for them to be big faces in gaming. But I guess now that she’s practically exclusive to Nintendo now, she’s a different case I guess.

As for indies, I just prefer big names, that’s all. I won’t get hyped for Shantae, but I’d lose my **** over Doomguy or Crash. That’s pretty much it.
You wouldn't be hyped for Shantae, but I would. That's the point, there are characters for everyone. I don't like Olimar (or Pikmin for that matter), but I don't have the right to say he shouldn't be in the game.

Also, I think a lot of people who might not play the games would still be able to say "oh! That's the blue kid with the gun arm." or "isn't that the guy with the big sword from that Playstation game?", I've seen a lot of people get Snake confused with Sam Fischer.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Even though Metal Gear Franchise has more sales than MegaMan, PacMan, and Street Fighter? Okay Snake is totally not on their level.
While I don't disagree on the point you're making, I do want to point out that the Pac-Man and Street Fighter franchises might be a little hard to compare to Metal Gear, since their arcade origins dramatically change things.

Pac-Man (arcade) only sold 400,000 units, but it had a gross revenue of $7.43 billion in 2017 USD (United States Dollars.) Ms. Pac-Man also sold only 125,000 units, but we don't know the overall revenue of that one. Including other games in the franchise, the Pac-Man arcade games made a whopping $11.4 billion USD for Namco.

Street Fighter II, similarly, sold 200,000 units, but had a gross revenue of $4.15 billion in 2017 USD.

Your point still stands, but the Pac-Man and Street Fighter franchises need to have their arcade origins considered when making a comparison to other franchises, as the medium's a bit different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uhhh... you might want to add text to that...
No need to imagine...

Can we please burn this meme?
Here’s something fun to try:

Add one, promote one, and rosterblock one. (Add a newcomer, promote an AT, pokeball, boss, item, hazard, game element, trophy), and deny a roster addition to an unconfirmed newcomer.

Add one: Elma
Promote one: Takamaru
Rosterblock one: Ashley
Rosterblock one: Ashley[/QUOTE]
Add one: Bandanaa Dee
Promote: Marx or Gooey
Rosterblock one: Magolor ( I do not like that guy )

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You wouldn't be hyped for Shantae, but I would. That's the point, there are characters for everyone. I don't like Olimar (or Pikmin for that matter), but I don't have the right to say he shouldn't be in the game.

Also, I think a lot of people who might not play the games would still be able to say "oh! That's the blue kid with the gun arm." or "isn't that the guy with the big sword from that Playstation game?", I've seen a lot of people get Snake confused with Sam Fischer.
Eh I think you are over estimating how well people would recognize those two. Like I could go to all my Fortnite playing friends and I bet they wouldn’t recognize them.

What point? You and I both have a right to say who shouldn’t be in the game, because we can express who we want in the game. We can say who we think should be in the game, why can’t we do it the other way around?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
What if another Nintendo Team (with people who worked on the other Smash titles) made a "new" Smash Bros, featuring only highly fan requested characters that never got into Smash? So a Smash Bros style game with King K Rool, Waluigi, etc. That would be hilarious. (Note: I'm saying this as a funny "what if" idea, not presenting it as a reality that could occur)

SonicMario

Smash Master
How is that possible? It either has to be 1 off or something or exactly tied.
The one with the most votes is the winner. There can not be multiple winners.
I'm not one of those that are denying Bayonetta's strong support. I've been just alright with Bayonetta when she was added. No strong feelings one way or the other. Just saying this as a quick disclaimer.

But I think the talk isn't just more salt about Bayonetta, it's more observations on knowing when Smash Ultimate started in it's concept stages happening in place with the ballot. Reminder that the ballot was not JUST for Smash 4 but as was stated future titles. And as we know now, the original Project Plan for Ultimate was made only 2 months after the ballot closed and the very month Bayonetta was announced.

The idea of multiple winners is yes, Bayonetta still did very well. Well enough to certainly get made immediately for Smash 4 DLC. But with a new title to consider, it could also point toward some other top ballot winners were being saved for Ultimate/Whatever the next Smash ended up being.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't know how relevant to the topic this is, but I plan on trying out one of the DS WarioWare games soon, to see where all the Ashley hype comes from.
I usually don't go out of my way to learn what a character is all about like that, but since WarioWare games aren't supposed to be very long and I'm not in the middle of any other important game right now, I figured I might as well give them a go.
Just don't forget to rewind her theme song with the stylus after you unlock it.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
If you could guarantee the inclusion of one character on the roster who would it be?

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

2. Cannot already exist as an Assist Trophy.

3. Have fun, and be civil with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom