• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Most of my most wanted are third party. Simon Belmont,Geno, Doom Guy. I guess beyond K Rool and Dixie there aren’t many Nintendo characters that I really want. I just hope future 3rd party additions are icons like Belmont and Doom Guy or are special cases like Geno(a Mario character owned by another company), not really fan of indies joining.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Most of my most wanted are third party. Simon Belmont,Geno, Doom Guy. I guess beyond K Rool and Dixie there aren’t many Nintendo characters that I really want. I just hope future 3rd party additions are icons like Belmont and Doom Guy or are special cases like Geno(a Mario character owned by another company), not really fan of indies joining.
"Indie" and "Icon" aren't mutually exclusive terms.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
"Indie" and "Icon" aren't mutually exclusive terms.
There are indie icons however.

I mean they are very limited, but Shovel Knight is definitely a god among men in his genre.

Minecraft/Steve is also another, you know before the whole Microsoft gobble gobble thing.

D

Deleted member

I mean they are very limited, but Shovel Knight is definitely a god among men in his genre.

Minecraft/Steve is also another, you know before the whole Microsoft gobble gobble thing.
I am not pointing fingers at Microsoft for the whole blame, but I feel like Microsoft pushed Minecraft way too much until it collapsed.

Microsoft still has faith in Minecraft, but I think Banjo is more of a likely Microsoft representative than Steve because Phil would want Banjo in. Plus Banjo is a big gaming icon I believe.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That's Bayonetta 2 that was a Wii U exclusive, not the original, which was a multi platform game, I have it on the Xbox 360.
On a related note it would be interesting to see that chart but with all of the third parties having their first debut on a Nintendo console shown.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

There's more than just them though, Captain Video is enough of an icon to have been the first ever indie representation in Smash in any form and Shantae is, as far as I know, the first major indie success on a console, even if her first game wasn't that successful.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So I made a Newcomer Prediction Tier Chart:

Roster Prediction.png

Key:

Yellow Circle = Either this character or another.

E = Echo

Explanation:

Elma:

If the roster was decided back in 2016, I believe Elma is the most likely Xenoblade choice. She can be unique and is part of a series with a future. I personally believe she is the most likely newcomer behind the Inklings.

King K. Rool:

With the ballot more than likely influencing the roster, I think this is his shot. Also, I believe Mii costumes really helped his chances.

Dixie Kong:

There's not much to say here. She could fill almost any role given to her. She could possess a unique moveset, Diddy clone, or even an Echo Fighter. I don't think she'd fit well as an Echo, but, it could be done. Dixe is very relevant with the new Donkey Kong Country games and she's appeared in many spin-offs.

Bandana Dee:

The Kirby series is still going, and Bandana Dee plays big roles in the new games. Possesses a weapon that's not currently present in Smash, and the Waddle Dee is an iconic species in the Kirby series. Does well in polls as well.

Ashley:

Ashley, by far, seems to be the most popular Warioware character. Ashley appeared as an Assist Trophy and had her theme song included in Smash. The Badge Shop is full of Ashley content as well. Her Assist Trophy was missing from the E3 build so there's a chance that she's been promoted to a playable status.

Decidueye:

Decidueye is the first character on my chart that has the yellow circle status. In this case, I believe Decidueye's fate is sealed along side Mimikyu. If Decidueye is playable, Mimikyu will not be playable and vice-versa. At one point, I thought Decidueye was a shoo-in. I don't think that's the case anymore. I've seen strong arguments for other Pokemon such as Mimikyu and Incineroar. Also with Pichu and Pokemon Trainer returning, we may not see a Pokemon newcomer. Still, I find Decidueye being the most likely of the three.

Mimikyu:

The other Pokemon newcomer that has the yellow circle status. In my eyes, Mimikyu is the second most likely Pokemon newcomer and its fate is sealed with Decidueye IMO. Mimikyu is one of the most promoted Gen 7 Pokemon, if not the most promoted. I think Decidueye is a little more likely. I think Mimikyu will end up as a Poke Ball Pokemon using its iconic Z-Move.

Paper Mario:

I hate promoting my most wanted character all the time, but I think he's got the best shot as the next Mario newcomer. Anyway, Paper Mario also holds the yellow circle status. With Daisy being confirmed, I only see one unique Mario newcomer being added. Paper Mario is competing with Captain Toad and Geno for a spot. Referring back to my previous statement where I believe the roster was decided back in 2016, Paper Mario couldn't be in a better spot. Not many potential newcomers can claim to be the star of two games. Paper Mario Color Splash and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam were around that time, with the latter introducing a clever "copy" ability and further differentiating the two Marios. Paper Mario has been around for a long time and the series doesn't seem to be stopping. The series even received a stage in the past installment. The roster includes three versions of Link so there's nothing stopping them from adding a third Mario. I'll keep this segment short, but I think Paper Mario is quite underrated. I think this is mostly due to the recent games in the series, which, is understandable.

Isabelle:

I would've put Isabelle much higher on the list if it weren't for a few things. Isabelle would be somewhat difficult to make a full moveset out of with what she does in New Leaf. Her role as an Assist Trophy perfectly matches her role in New Leaf. However, Isabelle seems to "be the best thing since sliced bread" in the Animal Crossing series. Heck, outside of Animal Crossing, she's promoted everywhere. She has truly reached "all-star status." Isabelle could function as a clone or Echo ugh of Villager. Animal Crossing also has the merits to warrant multiple characters in the roster, if we're going by sales, history, and future. At the end of the day, I think Isabelle is a likely character, but wouldn't be too shocked to see her as an Assist Trophy again.

Dark Samus:

The first Echo character on the list. Nearly identical build as Samus, appeared as an Assist Trophy in the previous installment, and is one of the few possible Metroid characters. I personally think Dark Samus is the most likely Echo character. Now, I'm not saying Dark Samus is limited to the Echo status, because Dark Samus could be a clone to semi-clone character. Samus missing her Dark Samus palette is interesting and makes me believe there's a reason.

Geno:

The only reason I think Geno stands a solid chance is due to how interested Sakurai seems to be in the character. Outside of that, while I would love to see him, he doesn't have much going for him.

Captain Toad:

Originally, I thought Captain Toad was the most likely Mario newcomer. However, after seeing how the roster is being handled and how Toad plays a huge role in Peach and Daisy's moveset, I'm starting to think Captain Toad may miss out this time. Now, that's not to say that the Cap doesn't have a good chance, but I'm starting to doubt his inclusion.

Rayman:

The only third party character I think has a solid chance. Rayman has been somewhat strong on Nintendo titles recently. Also, having a rather out of place trophy in Smash 4 makes me believe his chances are higher than other potential third party guests.

Chorus Kids/Marshall:

I don't have much to say here. I think Rhythm Heaven has a good shot to get a character this time, but I'm not sure who would fill the role as I am very unfamiliar with the series.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

I think Shadow is the most likely second third party rep. I only see Shadow having a decent chance as an Echo Fighter. Shadow could definitely be unique, but I personally don't think we'll see him as a unique fighter.

Here are some honorable mentions:

Roster Prediction Honorable Mentions.png

Springman:

With the roster being decided back in 2016, I don't think Springman will be on the base roster. If DLC is a thing, I predict he'll appear as a DLC fighter with a Ribbon Girl costume.

Skull Kid and Impa:

I forgot to include Impa on the list, but I think these two are the most likely candidates for a Zelda newcomer. I don't think either will happen, but if it does, I think it'll be one of these two.

Simon Belmont:

The only reason I even consider him is because of the Verg rumor. That's it. Would be an awesome addition though.

Chrom:

The first character with the C status. C stands for clone. I don't find Chrom super likely, but if he were to appear, I don't think he's be an Echo Fighter. I'm not going to say Fire Emblem having an two Echo Fighters is impossible, but I don't see Fire Emblem receiving another character this game.

Ken Masters:

One of the other possible second third party reps I find possible. Ken from Street Fighter 2 fits the Echo Fighter criteria perfectly and was basically the OG Echo Fighter from a fighting game. I don't think Ken is likely, but he definitely has a chance.

Prince Sable:

I'm not great at predicting Retro characters. I thought Takamaru would end up playable. With that said, I think the next likely is this guy. But even then, I'm unsure.

Funky Kong:

I threw Funky in here because I don't want to count him out. He could fit as a Donkey Kong clone. I say clone because I would hope they'd incorporate his board in his attacks. I guess he could be an Echo Fighter with his board appearing in his Final Smash though... But that would be disappointing.

Rex and Pyra:

With the roster speculated to be decided back in 2016, I find Elma far more likely than Rex and Pyra. Definitely DLC material, but I don't think we'll see them on the base roster.

Monster Hunter:

This series is huge. I'd be surprised if we didn't see any Monster Hunter content at all. After Rayman and Geno, I believe Monster Hunter is the next likely series to appear in Smash.

Incineroar:

While I don't find as likely as Decidueye or Mimikyu, Incineroar is definitely one of the higher contenders. I don't really have a huge reason not to include him on the prediction roster, but my gut tells me he won't be playable before the other two.

These are my personal opinions. I don't really want to argue opinions either, so take it how you want. For the record, I am not great at predicting Smash. Honestly, I probably missed a few characters as well. But I like making charts so here you go.

Credit goes to ConnerRentz for the assets used to make these.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Melee came out before his game did, so he was counted for GameCube.
Alright that's all well and good but why is Lucario counted as a DS character then if he debuted first on Red and Blue rescue team?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I made a Newcomer Prediction Tier Chart:

View attachment 151120

Key:

Yellow Circle = Either this character or another.

E = Echo

Explanation:

Elma:

If the roster was decided back in 2016, I believe Elma is the most likely Xenoblade choice. She can be unique and is part of a series with a future. I personally believe she is the most likely newcomer behind the Inklings.

King K. Rool:

With the ballot more than likely influencing the roster, I think this is his shot. Also, I believe Mii costumes really helped his chances.

Dixie Kong:

There's not much to say here. She could fill almost any role given to her. She could possess a unique moveset, Diddy clone, or even an Echo Fighter. I don't think she'd fit well as an Echo, but, it could be done. Dixe is very relevant with the new Donkey Kong Country games and she's appeared in many spin-offs.

Bandana Dee:

The Kirby series is still going, and Bandana Dee plays big roles in the new games. Possesses a weapon that's not currently present in Smash, and the Waddle Dee is an iconic species in the Kirby series. Does well in polls as well.

Ashley:

Ashley, by far, seems to be the most popular Warioware character. Ashley appeared as an Assist Trophy and had her theme song included in Smash. The Badge Shop is full of Ashley content as well. Her Assist Trophy was missing from the E3 build so there's a chance that she's been promoted to a playable status.

Decidueye:

Decidueye is the first character on my chart that has the yellow circle status. In this case, I believe Decidueye's fate is sealed along side Mimikyu. If Decidueye is playable, Mimikyu will not be playable and vice-versa. At one point, I thought Decidueye was a shoo-in. I don't think that's the case anymore. I've seen strong arguments for other Pokemon such as Mimikyu and Incineroar. Also with Pichu and Pokemon Trainer returning, we may not see a Pokemon newcomer. Still, I find Decidueye being the most likely of the three.

Mimikyu:

The other Pokemon newcomer that has the yellow circle status. In my eyes, Mimikyu is the second most likely Pokemon newcomer and its fate is sealed with Decidueye IMO. Mimikyu is one of the most promoted Gen 7 Pokemon, if not the most promoted. I think Decidueye is a little more likely. I think Mimikyu will end up as a Poke Ball Pokemon using its iconic Z-Move.

Paper Mario:

I hate promoting my most wanted character all the time, but I think he's got the best shot as the next Mario newcomer. Anyway, Paper Mario also holds the yellow circle status. With Daisy being confirmed, I only see one unique Mario newcomer being added. Paper Mario is competing with Captain Toad and Geno for a spot. Referring back to my previous statement where I believe the roster was decided back in 2016, Paper Mario couldn't be in a better spot. Not many potential newcomers can claim to be the star of two games. Paper Mario Color Splash and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam were around that time, with the latter introducing a clever "copy" ability and further differentiating the two Marios. Paper Mario has been around for a long time and the series doesn't seem to be stopping. The series even received a stage in the past installment. The roster includes three versions of Link so there's nothing stopping them from adding a third Mario. I'll keep this segment short, but I think Paper Mario is quite underrated. I think this is mostly due to the recent games in the series, which, is understandable.

Isabelle:

I would've put Isabelle much higher on the list if it weren't for a few things. Isabelle would be somewhat difficult to make a full moveset out of with what she does in New Leaf. Her role as an Assist Trophy perfectly matches her role in New Leaf. However, Isabelle seems to "be the best thing since sliced bread" in the Animal Crossing series. Heck, outside of Animal Crossing, she's promoted everywhere. She has truly reached "all-star status." Isabelle could function as a clone or Echo ugh of Villager. Animal Crossing also has the merits to warrant multiple characters in the roster, if we're going by sales, history, and future. At the end of the day, I think Isabelle is a likely character, but wouldn't be too shocked to see her as an Assist Trophy again.

Dark Samus:

The first Echo character on the list. Nearly identical build as Samus, appeared as an Assist Trophy in the previous installment, and is one of the few possible Metroid characters. I personally think Dark Samus is the most likely Echo character. Now, I'm not saying Dark Samus is limited to the Echo status, because Dark Samus could be a clone to semi-clone character. Samus missing her Dark Samus palette is interesting and makes me believe there's a reason.

Geno:

The only reason I think Geno stands a solid chance is due to how interested Sakurai seems to be in the character. Outside of that, while I would love to see him, he doesn't have much going for him.

Captain Toad:

Originally, I thought Captain Toad was the most likely Mario newcomer. However, after seeing how the roster is being handled and how Toad plays a huge role in Peach and Daisy's moveset, I'm starting to think Captain Toad may miss out this time. Now, that's not to say that the Cap doesn't have a good chance, but I'm starting to doubt his inclusion.

Rayman:

The only third party character I think has a solid chance. Rayman has been somewhat strong on Nintendo titles recently. Also, having a rather out of place trophy in Smash 4 makes me believe his chances are higher than other potential third party guests.

Chorus Kids/Marshall:

I don't have much to say here. I think Rhythm Heaven has a good shot to get a character this time, but I'm not sure who would fill the role as I am very unfamiliar with the series.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

I think Shadow is the most likely second third party rep. I only see Shadow having a decent chance as an Echo Fighter. Shadow could definitely be unique, but I personally don't think we'll see him as a unique fighter.

Here are some honorable mentions:

View attachment 151121

Springman:

With the roster being decided back in 2016, I don't think Springman will be on the base roster. If DLC is a thing, I predict he'll appear as a DLC fighter with a Ribbon Girl costume.

Skull Kid and Impa:

I forgot to include Impa on the list, but I think these two are the most likely candidates for a Zelda newcomer. I don't think either will happen, but if it does, I think it'll be one of these two.

Simon Belmont:

The only reason I even consider him is because of the Verg rumor. That's it. Would be an awesome addition though.

Chrom:

The first character with the C status. C stands for clone. I don't find Chrom super likely, but if he were to appear, I don't think he's be an Echo Fighter. I'm not going to say Fire Emblem having an two Echo Fighters is impossible, but I don't see Fire Emblem receiving another character this game.

Ken Masters:

One of the other possible second third party reps I find possible. Ken from Street Fighter 2 fits the Echo Fighter criteria perfectly and was basically the OG Echo Fighter from a fighting game. I don't think Ken is likely, but he definitely has a chance.

Prince Sable:

I'm not great at predicting Retro characters. I thought Takamaru would end up playable. With that said, I think the next likely is this guy. But even then, I'm unsure.

Funky Kong:

I threw Funky in here because I don't want to count him out. He could fit as a Donkey Kong clone. I say clone because I would hope they'd incorporate his board in his attacks. I guess he could be an Echo Fighter with his board appearing in his Final Smash though... But that would be disappointing.

Rex and Pyra:

With the roster speculated to be decided back in 2016, I find Elma far more likely than Rex and Pyra. Definitely DLC material, but I don't think we'll see them on the base roster.

Monster Hunter:

This series is huge. I'd be surprised if we didn't see any Monster Hunter content at all. After Rayman and Geno, I believe Monster Hunter is the next likely series to appear in Smash.

Incineroar:

While I don't find as likely as Decidueye or Mimikyu, Incineroar is definitely one of the higher contenders. I don't really have a huge reason not to include him on the prediction roster, but my gut tells me he won't be playable before the other two.

These are my personal opinions. I don't really want to argue opinions either, so take it how you want. For the record, I am not great at predicting Smash. Honestly, I probably missed a few characters as well. But I like making charts so here you go.

Credit goes to ConnerRentz for the assets used to make these.
If those on the top row in addition to inkley were all our newcomers I literally couldn't be happier tbh (I mean I could if we got impa and Rayman too but it is what it is)

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
My pipe dream character is Phoenix Wright. And by character, I literally just mean "in the game".
Even if he's an Assist, or just a trophy, I'd be happy. Playable character is the dream, and the reason it's a dream is because I've already given up on seeing it be a reality.
You're heard of Roy's our boy, now get ready for Eliwood's our dad!
But if Roy's our Boy, then wouldn't Eliwood be our husband?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I would say Snake and Bayonetta aren't on the same level as the rest of the third parties, does that mean they don't belong either?
Even though Metal Gear Franchise has more sales than MegaMan, PacMan, and Street Fighter? Okay Snake is totally not on their level.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If those on the top row in addition to inkley were all our newcomers I literally couldn't be happier tbh (I mean I could if we got impa too but it is what it is)
Don't want K.Rool but same otherwise. Also not much point about complaining about characters people apparently like.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Don't want K.Rool but same.
I'm pretty neutral on K Rool, he doesn't really appeal to me but as long as I get Dixie as well I'm not bothered about his inclusion, plushe has a lot of fans who want him and he'd be a fun character I suppose

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
My pipe dream character is Phoenix Wright. And by character, I literally just mean "in the game".
Even if he's an Assist, or just a trophy, I'd be happy. Playable character is the dream, and the reason it's a dream is because I've already given up on seeing it be a reality.

But if Roy's our Boy, then wouldn't Eliwood be our husband?
I'd honestly be surprised to not see him in any way shape or form in Ultimate, especially with Capcom already having 2 reps, and more 3rd party series being referenced without a playable rep with things such as Bomberman's assist trophy. We'll probably get a trophy and a song or two, but an assist trophy would definitely be cool.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
That was more of a cameo, he wasn't playable till the DS.
So we're going by who was playable first now? There's tons of characters I can point to that weren't playable in the games they appeared in but I'll use Metaknight as my example. Why is Metaknight being counted as an Nes character when he wasn't playable in Kirby's Adventure?

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
lmfao Lilo would never happen even if you ignore how she isn't a video game character, Japan's filled with idiots who don't get the point of her character and went "This is a bad role model for our kids", why else did they replace her in that anime?
wait I thought i was supposed to mention impossible characters, guess i misunderstood the game rules

anyway you don't need to tell me it's impossible, i'm not that dumb

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Even though Metal Gear Franchise has more sales than MegaMan, PacMan, and Street Fighter? Okay Snake is totally not on their level.
Ok, I'll give you that. Even though I would say Snake is less recognizable to the general public. The question still stands though, does Bayonetta not belong?

Really though, "Indie" shouldn't be a reason to exclude a character. If a character has a recognizable design, moveset potential, a fanbase/support, and a connection to Nintendo, then they're just as deserving as anyone else.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
So we're going by who was playable first now? There's tons of characters I can point to that weren't playable in the games they appeared in but I'll use Metaknight as my example. Why is Metaknight being counted as an Nes character when he wasn't playable in Kirby's Adventure?
If anything it's a chart of every character's first true appearance in a game, not counting just a little cameo or something like a statue in the case of Lucario or a hedgehog scented air freshener in the case of Sonic. If Roy is categorized under GBA then it's first true appearance in a game outside of Smash Bros.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
MK has a role as an antagonist in those games and was an established character, Lucario has ~5 lines of text dedicated to him and a statue, I don't personally consider them on the same level.

It's semantics anyways, especially since Lucario's cameo in Red Rescue Team was like, not even a year before his big movie debut (i cant remember the exact years, didnt PMD come out in 2003?), it's just that it was relatively small compared to the rest of the game and a reward you get and the VERY VERY end of the postgame meaning most casual players probably didn't even see it.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So time for a dumb game that no one will like, but me possibly.

Pick a set of five characters and have them swap default costumes.

The "<->" pointing to who swapping with who

:ultbayonetta: <->:ultfalcon:

:ultinkling: <->:ultwiifittrainer:

:ultkingdedede:<->:ultdk:

:ultlittlemac:<->:ultvillager:

:ultzss:<->:ultsnake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom