• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Finally, a frog of culture
*cough cough*
That was my post actually, he forgot to edit it as my post. :p
If you could guarantee the inclusion of one character on the roster who would it be?

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

2. Cannot already exist as an Assist Trophy.

3. Have fun, and be civil with others.
Not guaranteed, but my most likely bet is either Bandanna Dee or King K. Rool.
Edit: I thought who you met was the most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you could guarantee the inclusion of one character on the roster who would it be?

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Gardevoir.

No question.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

First party huh? Gimme dat boy D.J. Octavio. He'd be big and fat and fire off huge Ink explosives like the Suction Bomb, and throw out long ranged Bass Boosted punches. Since he's a boss he'd get the benefits of the Inking mechanic but not have to worry about an ink gauge.
That's my personal want though, others would include K Rool, Waddle Dee, Decidueye and Ashely.

D

Deleted member

Chrom is trash
Chrom is not trash, he is a good father to :ultlucina:. :)

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Apologies for quoting you again, but I thought you meant the most likely fighter.
I have a lot of dream first party fighters to be honest.

My best bet would be Bandanna Dee to be honest. I like that precious Waddle Dee.

D

Deleted member

Gardevoir is a good choice, but his rules said no Assist Trophy's as of Smash 4 if I understand correctly.
A Pokéball is not an Assist Trophy though. :awesome:

Troykv

Smash Master

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Micaiah! (She both First Party and not an AT) My most wanted character ever!

f1f3f6b67b41014493fdd6182c9011a3.png

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

While Mimikyu is my actually next most wanted, I'm gunna be cocky enough to say I think it's fairly likely (and if I got Decideueye instead I wouldn't be unhappy) so Twintelle! She needs the boost because she probably can't make it in on her own poor girl :(

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Chrom is not trash, he is a good father to :ultlucina:. :).
And a great friend/lover/whatever we want him to be to the Robins...also able to handle getting disrespected by a God...plus Palutena and Viridi

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So I made a Newcomer Prediction Tier Chart:

View attachment 151120

Key:

Yellow Circle = Either this character or another.

E = Echo

Explanation:

Elma:

If the roster was decided back in 2016, I believe Elma is the most likely Xenoblade choice. She can be unique and is part of a series with a future. I personally believe she is the most likely newcomer behind the Inklings.

King K. Rool:

With the ballot more than likely influencing the roster, I think this is his shot. Also, I believe Mii costumes really helped his chances.

Dixie Kong:

There's not much to say here. She could fill almost any role given to her. She could possess a unique moveset, Diddy clone, or even an Echo Fighter. I don't think she'd fit well as an Echo, but, it could be done. Dixe is very relevant with the new Donkey Kong Country games and she's appeared in many spin-offs.

Bandana Dee:

The Kirby series is still going, and Bandana Dee plays big roles in the new games. Possesses a weapon that's not currently present in Smash, and the Waddle Dee is an iconic species in the Kirby series. Does well in polls as well.

Ashley:

Ashley, by far, seems to be the most popular Warioware character. Ashley appeared as an Assist Trophy and had her theme song included in Smash. The Badge Shop is full of Ashley content as well. Her Assist Trophy was missing from the E3 build so there's a chance that she's been promoted to a playable status.

Decidueye:

Decidueye is the first character on my chart that has the yellow circle status. In this case, I believe Decidueye's fate is sealed along side Mimikyu. If Decidueye is playable, Mimikyu will not be playable and vice-versa. At one point, I thought Decidueye was a shoo-in. I don't think that's the case anymore. I've seen strong arguments for other Pokemon such as Mimikyu and Incineroar. Also with Pichu and Pokemon Trainer returning, we may not see a Pokemon newcomer. Still, I find Decidueye being the most likely of the three.

Mimikyu:

The other Pokemon newcomer that has the yellow circle status. In my eyes, Mimikyu is the second most likely Pokemon newcomer and its fate is sealed with Decidueye IMO. Mimikyu is one of the most promoted Gen 7 Pokemon, if not the most promoted. I think Decidueye is a little more likely. I think Mimikyu will end up as a Poke Ball Pokemon using its iconic Z-Move.

Paper Mario:

I hate promoting my most wanted character all the time, but I think he's got the best shot as the next Mario newcomer. Anyway, Paper Mario also holds the yellow circle status. With Daisy being confirmed, I only see one unique Mario newcomer being added. Paper Mario is competing with Captain Toad and Geno for a spot. Referring back to my previous statement where I believe the roster was decided back in 2016, Paper Mario couldn't be in a better spot. Not many potential newcomers can claim to be the star of two games. Paper Mario Color Splash and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam were around that time, with the latter introducing a clever "copy" ability and further differentiating the two Marios. Paper Mario has been around for a long time and the series doesn't seem to be stopping. The series even received a stage in the past installment. The roster includes three versions of Link so there's nothing stopping them from adding a third Mario. I'll keep this segment short, but I think Paper Mario is quite underrated. I think this is mostly due to the recent games in the series, which, is understandable.

Isabelle:

I would've put Isabelle much higher on the list if it weren't for a few things. Isabelle would be somewhat difficult to make a full moveset out of with what she does in New Leaf. Her role as an Assist Trophy perfectly matches her role in New Leaf. However, Isabelle seems to "be the best thing since sliced bread" in the Animal Crossing series. Heck, outside of Animal Crossing, she's promoted everywhere. She has truly reached "all-star status." Isabelle could function as a clone or Echo ugh of Villager. Animal Crossing also has the merits to warrant multiple characters in the roster, if we're going by sales, history, and future. At the end of the day, I think Isabelle is a likely character, but wouldn't be too shocked to see her as an Assist Trophy again.

Dark Samus:

The first Echo character on the list. Nearly identical build as Samus, appeared as an Assist Trophy in the previous installment, and is one of the few possible Metroid characters. I personally think Dark Samus is the most likely Echo character. Now, I'm not saying Dark Samus is limited to the Echo status, because Dark Samus could be a clone to semi-clone character. Samus missing her Dark Samus palette is interesting and makes me believe there's a reason.

Geno:

The only reason I think Geno stands a solid chance is due to how interested Sakurai seems to be in the character. Outside of that, while I would love to see him, he doesn't have much going for him.

Captain Toad:

Originally, I thought Captain Toad was the most likely Mario newcomer. However, after seeing how the roster is being handled and how Toad plays a huge role in Peach and Daisy's moveset, I'm starting to think Captain Toad may miss out this time. Now, that's not to say that the Cap doesn't have a good chance, but I'm starting to doubt his inclusion.

Rayman:

The only third party character I think has a solid chance. Rayman has been somewhat strong on Nintendo titles recently. Also, having a rather out of place trophy in Smash 4 makes me believe his chances are higher than other potential third party guests.

Chorus Kids/Marshall:

I don't have much to say here. I think Rhythm Heaven has a good shot to get a character this time, but I'm not sure who would fill the role as I am very unfamiliar with the series.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

I think Shadow is the most likely second third party rep. I only see Shadow having a decent chance as an Echo Fighter. Shadow could definitely be unique, but I personally don't think we'll see him as a unique fighter.

Here are some honorable mentions:

View attachment 151121

Springman:

With the roster being decided back in 2016, I don't think Springman will be on the base roster. If DLC is a thing, I predict he'll appear as a DLC fighter with a Ribbon Girl costume.

Skull Kid and Impa:

I forgot to include Impa on the list, but I think these two are the most likely candidates for a Zelda newcomer. I don't think either will happen, but if it does, I think it'll be one of these two.

Simon Belmont:

The only reason I even consider him is because of the Verg rumor. That's it. Would be an awesome addition though.

Chrom:

The first character with the C status. C stands for clone. I don't find Chrom super likely, but if he were to appear, I don't think he's be an Echo Fighter. I'm not going to say Fire Emblem having an two Echo Fighters is impossible, but I don't see Fire Emblem receiving another character this game.

Ken Masters:

One of the other possible second third party reps I find possible. Ken from Street Fighter 2 fits the Echo Fighter criteria perfectly and was basically the OG Echo Fighter from a fighting game. I don't think Ken is likely, but he definitely has a chance.

Prince Sable:

I'm not great at predicting Retro characters. I thought Takamaru would end up playable. With that said, I think the next likely is this guy. But even then, I'm unsure.

Funky Kong:

I threw Funky in here because I don't want to count him out. He could fit as a Donkey Kong clone. I say clone because I would hope they'd incorporate his board in his attacks. I guess he could be an Echo Fighter with his board appearing in his Final Smash though... But that would be disappointing.

Rex and Pyra:

With the roster speculated to be decided back in 2016, I find Elma far more likely than Rex and Pyra. Definitely DLC material, but I don't think we'll see them on the base roster.

Monster Hunter:

This series is huge. I'd be surprised if we didn't see any Monster Hunter content at all. After Rayman and Geno, I believe Monster Hunter is the next likely series to appear in Smash.

Incineroar:

While I don't find as likely as Decidueye or Mimikyu, Incineroar is definitely one of the higher contenders. I don't really have a huge reason not to include him on the prediction roster, but my gut tells me he won't be playable before the other two.

These are my personal opinions. I don't really want to argue opinions either, so take it how you want. For the record, I am not great at predicting Smash. Honestly, I probably missed a few characters as well. But I like making charts so here you go.

Credit goes to ConnerRentz for the assets used to make these.
Well I'm hoping Shadow doesn't become an echo and becomes his own character, but if he is an echo I'd still want him. I'd probably swap Mimikyu for Dusk Lycanroc. Also I don't have any interest in King K. Rool, and my interest in Bandana Dee is low but at least higher than King K's but everyone else on the top row is great especially Elma.

As for the honorary list, Amaterasu would have to come before any other Capcom rep before I even think of wanting any other guests from Capcom. But other than that it's a nice prediction tier chart.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
how is bayo not under wiiU. it was literally only on that system.

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Kamek. I want Marx more, but Kamek just... deserves it more.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While I don't disagree on the point you're making, I do want to point out that the Pac-Man and Street Fighter franchises might be a little hard to compare to Metal Gear, since their arcade origins dramatically change things.

Pac-Man (arcade) only sold 400,000 units, but it had a gross revenue of $7.43 billion in 2017 USD (United States Dollars.) Ms. Pac-Man also sold only 125,000 units, but we don't know the overall revenue of that one. Including other games in the franchise, the Pac-Man arcade games made a whopping $11.4 billion USD for Namco.

Street Fighter II, similarly, sold 200,000 units, but had a gross revenue of $4.15 billion in 2017 USD.

Your point still stands, but the Pac-Man and Street Fighter franchises need to have their arcade origins considered when making a comparison to other franchises, as the medium's a bit different.
In case anyone's curious, the 25 top grossing media franchises that started as video games (console, arcade, computer, or mobile) are as follows:
  1. Pokemon - $59.1 billion
  2. Mario - $26.3 billion
  3. Call of Duty - $16 billion
  4. Pac-Man - $15.1 billion
  5. Space Invaders - $13.9 billion
  6. Wii - $12.33 billion
  7. Street Fighter - $11.5 billion
  8. Dungeon Fighter Online - $10.5 billion
  9. Final Fantasy - $10.4 billion
  10. Warcraft - $10.4 billion
  11. CrossFire - $9.3 billion
  12. Grand Theft Auto - $8.56 billion
  13. Lineage - $7.733 billion
  14. Sonic the Hedgehog - $7.23 billion
  15. Donkey Kong - $6.37 billion
  16. Puzzle and Dragons - $6.1 billion
  17. FIFA - $6 billion (as of 2013)
  18. League of Legends - $5.69 billion
  19. Dragon Quest - $5.61 billion
  20. Fantasy Westward Journey - $5.5 billion
  21. Resident Evil - $5.17 billion
  22. Mortal Kombat - $5 billion
  23. Halo - $5 billion
  24. Arena of Valor - $4.637 billion
  25. Monster Strike - $4.61 billion
Just puts things into perspective a little.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Saki Amamiya. He's not an assist trophy in this game, so it's valid.
Atleast he still has Warriors, Heroes, PXZ2, Fates, and Sumia
>Shipping Chrom with Sumia and not Robin.
Heresy.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Slippy Toad, my most wanted newcomer.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Do you even know about Metal Gear Solid and how that game changed the entire scope of Stealth games????? Okay;...
I hate to say it, but he's right.

:ultpacman::ultryu::ultsonic::ultcloud: >>>>>>>> :ultmegaman::ultsnake::ultbayonetta:

Refer to the list I posted above.

The Megaman, Metal Gear, and Bayonetta series are chump change compared to Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Sonic, and Final Fantasy. It doesn't mean they don't have a place in Smash Bros., but if you look at the numbers, they don't lie.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Chandelure.

Because Chandelure is the best.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice

:ultpacman::ultryu::ultsonic::ultcloud: >>>>>>>> :ultmegaman::ultsnake::ultbayonetta:

The Megaman, Metal Gear, and Bayonetta series are chump change compared to Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Sonic, and Final Fantasy. It doesn't mean they don't have a place in Smash Bros., but if you look at the numbers, they don't lie.
Megaman and Snake should still be faaaar above Bayo in terms of sales and overall popularity.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
If I could force the inclusion of 1 character, it would be Banjo Kazooie.

Edit: I know he said "Must be first party" but I don't care. I go by my own rules.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Porky Minch, and try to use him as a push for the localization of Mother 3.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Saki Amamiya. He's not an assist trophy in this game, so it's valid.

>Shipping Chrom with Sumia and not Robin.
Heresy.
Unlike Robin, Sumia gives him pie, doesn’t snitch on him, and will “slap” Chrom to make sure he doesn’t lose focus
26CC27B7-2BC5-4767-80C0-92F1864927AB.jpeg

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Easiest decision.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Rules:

1. Must be 1st Party.

Dark Matter, Bandana Dee deeserves it a little more but I have a lot more hope in Bandana Dee getting in naturally than I do Dark Matter.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Porky Minch, and try to use him as a push for the localization of Mother 3.
Porky was already a prevalent character in Mother 2, Lucas' should've had that job nailed down already.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Bayonetta is still a young enough franchise with only 2 (soon to be 3) game and an anime movie
Metal Gear is now done for (unless Konami plans to continue that series without Kojima)
Mega Man went on hiatus for a while and his games are evil? Don’t got much of a reason/excuse for him
Can’t help out Final Fantasy
Street Fighter and Pac-Man series are gaming legends
Sonic is the Mario of 3rd Parties...@ Mii

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Zeox

Smash Champion
Porky was already a prevalent character in Mother 2, Lucas' should've had that job nailed down already.
Porky is important for both, Earthbound and Mother 3, is the connection between both stories, the story that everyone already knows, and the story that has only been told in japan.
Also, I want to punch that fat kid over and over for the things that he did to Lucas.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Welp, I memed Kazuma Kiryu for Smsh too hard and I'm trying to think of a good moveset for the guy lmao
Ah, I see you are a Smasher of culture as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom