• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
What kind of new game modes would you like to see? Personally, I'd like multiple character stock matches, a king of the hill mode where you battle for zones, and capture the flag on big stages.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
She can easily be an Echo of Villager. Doesn't mean she can't be unique, but the possibility is there.
Isabelle never uses an axe, she doesn't plant trees, she has no interactions with Lloid/Gyroids, her model wouldn't even work with the balloon fight recovery, she doesn't do ANY of the stuff Villager does. Not to mention Villager in Smash still retains the old pre-New Leaf body proportions.

Isabelle does not.

It's a VERY ill fitting representation of her.

It's way more extreme than any of the Echo Fighters present.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So which Breath of the Wild Champion would you pick to be in Smash Ultimate ( Only choose 1.)

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

(credit to Captain America for these stock icons :D :D :D )
My pick would be
Urbosa.
Daruk for me. I love Gorons, and his big old stone sword would be awesome.

Plus Sidon is better than Mipha.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Trust me? If Isabelle was an Echo Fighter?

She and not Daisy would've been revealed at E3.

She's a far more popular Nintendo character.

If Isabelle gets in at this point? It's as a wholely unique newcomer or a very unlikely semi-clone.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Isabelle never uses an axe, she doesn't plant trees, she has no interactions with Lloid/Gyroids, her model wouldn't even work with the balloon fight recovery, she doesn't do ANY of the stuff Villager does. Not to mention Villager in Smash still retains the old pre-New Leaf body proportions.

Isabelle does not.

It's a VERY ill fitting representation of her.

It's way more extreme than any of the Echo Fighters present.
But she is physically capable of using an axe. She's physically capable of planting trees. She's physically capable of doing all those things. I can see her doing everything Villager does. Tweak a few animations and there. Because apparently that's all that's needed to be an Echo.

It's not an impossibility at all. Though I'm not gonna sit here and start debating about Isabelle of all characters. I have no negative feelings towards the character. Don't love her either. If she gets in as either unique OR an echo it would not surprise me one bit.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nah. That's not what an Echo is.

Look at the similarities in models between Lucina/Marth, Pit/Dark Pit, and Daisy/Peach and get back to me.

Now look at Isabelle and Villager. How they differ. Echo fighters are easy to make because you don't have to bend or break a new model too much. Isabelle is taller, an animal, has longer limbs, a puffy hair do, etc, etc.

Isabelle in no way makes any physical sense as an Echo character of Villager. It's just this fanbase's latest trend of ''Oh that character is in the same game as another character and also popular. They can be an echo fighter!"

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Look at the similarities in models between Lucina/Marth, Pit/Dark Pit, and Daisy/Peach and get back to me.

Now look at Isabelle and Villager. How they differ. Echo fighters are easy to make because you don't have to bend or break a new model too much. Isabelle is taller, an animal, has longer limbers, a puffy hair do, etc, etc.

Isabelle in no way makes any physical sense as an Echo character of Villager. It's just this fanbase's latest trend of ''Oh that character is in the same game as another character and also popular. They can be an echo fighter!"
Eh, they can squish and squash her as much as they'd like to fit Villager's skeleton and copy his animations if they were so inclined.

The issue is, I don't think they are inclined.
I think they're quite happy with her being the fruit-tossing Assist Trophy that she already is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can someone actually explain why all of a sudden Funky mother****ing Kong is being talked about as a viable echo? Like I can understand Dixie and K. Rool, I can even understand Cranky, but Funky? I haven't heard that name since Mario Kart Wii. :rolleyes: I'm definitely not complaining, I think there's more to him than just being an echo though.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Vote: Yay or Nay

Would you have preferred if Alph was a brand new echo fighter? :4alph:
Definite yay. I'll forever be miffed that Alph didn't get the clone treatment when someone like Dark Pit did. Instead, we have Rock Pikmin completely unrepresented in Smash and Alph hopping into Olimar's ship for his final smash.

sakurai pls give me a new pikmin character to make up for this great injustice
So which Breath of the Wild Champion would you pick to be in Smash Ultimate ( Only choose 1.)

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

(credit to Captain America for these stock icons :D :D :D )
My pick would be
Urbosa.
I'd really like to see Daruk. He struck me as the most likeable champion from BoTW and he has a pretty cool design. He would also represent the Gorons, who I would say are the most iconic non-Hylian Zelda race. He has plenty of moveset potential as well. Rolling, swinging his Boulder Breaker around, using Daruk's Protection, operating Vah Rudania etc. He could also be an extremely heavy character with an emphasis on super armor. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Mipha either.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can someone actually explain why all of a sudden Funky mother****ing Kong is all of a sudden being talked about as a viable echo? Like I can understand Dixie and K. Rool, I can even understand Cranky, but Funky? I haven't heard that name since Mario Kart Wii. :rolleyes: I'm definitely not complaining, I think there's more to him than just being an echo though.
Memes.

"Featuring a new Funky mode!" has probably brought more attention to that character than anything else in the past decade.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Eh, they can squish and squash her as much as they'd like to fit Villager's skeleton and copy his animations if they were so inclined.

The issue is, I don't think they are inclined.
I think they're quite happy with her being the fruit-tossing Assist Trophy that she already is.
We'll see, but that is VERY doubtful to me. Nintendo has made it clear that they want her pushed. Sakurai is aware of her popularity. She was one of the few Animal Crossing characters to get a Mii Fighter costume.

If you believe Ashley is getting in most likely due to her popularity and ''wow she's such a cutie" factor. Isabelle most likely is too. It doesn't matter that one is a witch and the other is just an office assistant.

Because things like that do not matter when it comes to Smash Brothers. Otherwise we wouldn't have a game where a Yoga Instructor could go up against 27 different anime swordsmen/women.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Now look at Isabelle and Villager. How they differ. Echo fighters are easy to make because you don't have to bend or break a new model too much. Isabelle is taller, an animal, has longer limbers, a puffy hair do, etc, etc.

I disagree. I can easily see her as a clone. BUT, major major BUT, I can also see her being unique. I'm not bothered by either. She's not a character I particularly like or dislike.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I already said it a while back, but I think that Isabelle would make a fantastic echo fighter. Like DarkFalcon said, she's capable of doing anything Villager can do, but I'm sure the main difference would be that she would act differently and have a different attitude.

Like, I imagine her planting the tree, watering it and cutting it down and she's all happy for the whole duration of the action if she doesn't hit anyone. But if she hits someone with the axe or with the tree falling down she would panic and apologize.
In general, she would be more polite-looking, composed and less carefree than Villager, and she would always panic when hurting someone with her abilities or attacks.

That would be really cool imho, really a wasted opportunity if it doesn't happen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Everyone is so sure about what the "definition" of an echo fighter is when all we got is that they're "based on another fighter".... like Roy
I don't see an epsilon symbol on Roy. :ultroy:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Can someone actually explain why all of a sudden Funky mother****ing Kong is being talked about as a viable echo? Like I can understand Dixie and K. Rool, I can even understand Cranky, but Funky? I haven't heard that name since Mario Kart Wii. :rolleyes: I'm definitely not complaining, I think there's more to him than just being an echo though.
He technically has "relevance" and he's shaped identically to DK. Why not?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I already said it a while back, but I think that Isabelle would make a fantastic echo fighter. Like DarkFalcon said, she's capable of doing anything Villager can do, but I'm sure the main difference would be that she would act differently and have a different attitude.

Like, I imagine her planting the tree, watering it and cutting it down and she's all happy for the whole duration of the action if she doesn't hit anyone. But if she hits someone with the axe or with the tree falling down she would panic and apologize.
In general, she would be more polite-looking, composed and less carefree than Villager, and she would always panic when hurting someone with her abilities or attacks.

That would be really cool imho, really a wasted opportunity if it doesn't happen.
So what, she hits and then she gets a gajillion frames of a panicky apologetic frenzy? Easily bottom tier. :reverse: Isabelle mains will be in hell.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We'll see, but that is VERY doubtful to me. Nintendo has made it clear that they want her pushed. Sakurai is aware of her popularity. She was one of the few Animal Crossing characters to get a Mii Fighter costume.

If you believe Ashley is getting in most likely due to her popularity and ''wow she's such a cutie factor." Isabelle most likely is too. It doesn't matter that one is a witch and the other is just an office assistant.

Because things like that do not matter when it comes to Smash Brothers. Otherwise we wouldn't have a game where a Yoga Instructor could go up against 27 different anime swordsmen/women.
Actually, I'm being very conservative with my character hopes and expectations this time around.

With the news of the very recent initial project plan, Ultimate's emphasis on bringing back characters and giving them small changes, and Sakurai straight up telling us in the initial trailer to not expect many newcomers, I expect much more overlap with Smash 4. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst.
Everyone is so sure about what the "definition" of an echo fighter is when all we got is that they're "based on another fighter".... like Roy
People can make some assumptions based on the 3 echoes that we already have and how they share the same stats with only some moves's properties (not even their animations) being changed.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be pessimistic and low ball the amount of newcomers we get to 6. That way if we get that little I'm not disappointed and if we get more that aren't clones then I'll be happy.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
So what, she hits and then she gets a gajillion frames of a panicky apologetic frenzy? Easily bottom tier. :reverse: Isabelle mains will be in hell.
I think more like she would panic and still being capable to move and attack.
Let's really make overwork that new engine and the new facial animations, y'know.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm gonna be pessimistic and low ball the amount of newcomers we get to 6. That way if we get that little I'm not disappointed and if we get more that aren't clones then I'll be happy.
I see your pessimism and I raise you an even lower low ball of only 3 new unique characters.

Now, I cannot possibly be disappointed.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but I just wanna know the thoughts of everyone here presently.

Gun to your head, which newcomers would you be willing to bet money on their being in Ultimate? Not necessarily who you want, but who you think is the most likely to actually make it out of all the popular options.
Well, there are certainly a few candidates I'd be comfortable betting on...
  • Bandanna Dee - Relevance, popularity, staying power, moveset potential, from a popular series that's been hurting for a newcomer since Smash 4's release, little competition... yep, this lad certainly ticks all the boxes. The only way I can possibly see him missing the roster entirely is if some serious, serious Sakurbias comes into play, and I doubt even Sakurai would be able to ignore just how prominent this character's become, Sakurbias or no.
  • Geno - Call me biased, but (if you'll pardon the pun) the stars seem to just be lining up in Geno's favor this time. His greatest obstacle is largely behind him at this point with his parent company officially in on the Smash deal, and if Sakurai's previous comments are anything to go by, he would've already been in as early as Brawl if he had the means back then. Well, now he does. He's not as safe a bet as Bandanna Dee since he does face competition from two major avenues (Mario and Square Enix), but still someone I'd be more than comfortable dropping a 20 on being in the final game.
  • Dixie Kong/K. Rool - DK as a series is underrepresented as is, and I just can't see it missing out on a new rep entirely considering it has two more than viable all-stars waiting in the wings. K. Rool has a massive edge in terms of popularity, which makes me lean towards him as the safer bet of the two, but Dixie has relevance over K. Rool by virtue of Tropical Freeze, may benefit from the Echo Fighter situation, and was also considered previously as Diddy's tag team partner. I'd be comfortable betting on either, or even both of these characters getting in, as if there's any universe I can see getting more than one newcomer in the base game (other than Mario, of course), it's DK.
  • Simon Belmont - Vergeben. That is all.

And that's about it. The rest of the folks in my signature I think are all pretty likely, but I wouldn't say I'm confident enough in their chances to bet cold, hard cash on being in the final release like I am these guys.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
He technically has "relevance" and he's shaped identically to DK. Why not?
Because he’s still a grade D character in his own series. If we’d just get Funky without Dixie, K. Rool or even Cranky, it’s like we got Mario, Luigi and Toadbert. Or Link, Zelda and that red boat-dude. Or Pikachu, Mewtwo and Stunfisk. You get my drift.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
What kind of new game modes would you like to see? Personally, I'd like multiple character stock matches, a king of the hill mode where you battle for zones, and capture the flag on big stages.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because he’s still a grade D character in his own series. If we’d just get Funky without Dixie, K. Rool or even Cranky, it’s like we got Mario, Luigi and Toadbert. Or Link, Zelda and that red boat-dude. Or Pikachu, Mewtwo and Stunfisk. You get my drift.
Or Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Pichu!

Wait...

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but I just wanna know the thoughts of everyone here presently.

Gun to your head, which newcomers would you be willing to bet money on their being in Ultimate? Not necessarily who you want, but who you think is the most likely to actually make it out of all the popular options.
There are two newcomers I'm absolutely sure that they will be in Ultimate, so sure I could even bet money on 'em.
@ me all you want and screencap this, because when they'll be announced I want my parade.

My two golden bets are Ashley and the Chorus Kids.
I already said it a while back, but Sakurai already stated in a 2015 interview that Ashley had massively grown in popularity thanks to her appearances in the Smash iterations, and that he would "consider this". At the time we didn't know what he meant, but recently it came out that Sakurai started designing Ultimate and its roster the very same year, if not even around the very same time.

She really has a shot, if Sakurai didn't find a good reason for scrapping her from the game.

My other uneducated guess is a Rhythm Heaven rep, which could be anyone. Karate Joe, Reporter, Ribbon ... But I think it would be the Chorus Kids. A RH rep was intended to appear in the roster of Smash 4, but got scrapped last minute. Some theorize it was because of time restraints, some say it's because they couldn't find a good moveset for them. Some say even that it was the 3DS fault, and that it couldn't process the character, in the same fashion as the Ice Climbers.

Either way, Sakurai always had the habit of re-introducing scrapped characters into his sequels.
Marth, Bowser, Villager, the Miis ... Yeah, I would be surprised if the rep DOESN'T make it in Ultimate.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I really feel like Mii Fighter costumes may hint at characters being successful on the ballot and were given costumes as they were being worked on for Ultimate. I mean we were getting them in 2015/16 and the plan was being drawn up end of 2015. So characters like K. Rool, Isabelle and Ashley might all have some sort of chance because of it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He is a Gerudo though? Can't just say he doesn't count because he's special.
Well, being something doesn't exactly mean you're a good representative of the larger whole.

however, Smash isn't a House of Representatives for species. It's a fanservice fighter, and if there are no important characters of a different species, then they really shouldn't be included. Seriously, I don't see anyone asking for any representatives from all these species.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't oppose getting Stunfisk.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dude what are you talking about he is literally their king.
Yeah, an evil king that the Gerudo hate being associated with.

When you think of Gerudo, you probably think of amazonian women, not the King of all Darkness.

Likewise, when you think of Germans, your first thought probably isn't Adolf Hitler.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Hey, finally a way to get my predictions in!

12 Characters
Inkling
Ridley
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Decidueye
Excitebike
Rayman
Simon
New Namco Rep
Daisy (E)
Dark Samus (E)
Shadow (E)

10 Assistants
Any of the Champions
A Kirby enemy
Cranky Kong
Gray Fox
FF7 Partner
Nihilego
Marshadow
Magikarp
Porygon(2)(Z)
Unown

10 Stages
Pyrosphere
Peach's Castle 64
Kremkroc Industries (NEW)
Mushroom Kingdom Melee
Brinstar Depths
Poke Floats
Icicle Mountain
Jungle Hijinx
Excitebike Stage (NEW)
Ultra Space (NEW)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I really feel like Mii Fighter costumes may hint at characters being successful on the ballot and were given costumes as they were being worked on for Ultimate. I mean we were getting them in 2015/16 and the plan was being drawn up end of 2015. So characters like K. Rool, Isabelle and Ashley might all have some sort of chance because of it.
I could see it for Geno or K Rool since they have original models but for characters like Ashley and isabelle they were essentially just repurposed assist trophy models. It may not even mean any thing though, we got the black knight, the guy from virtua fighter and monster hunter as mii costumes as well, doesn't mean they're gonna be playable

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I could see it for Geno or K Rool since they have original models but for characters like Ashley and isabelle they were essentially just repurposed assist trophy models. It may not even mean any thing though, we got the black knight, the guy from virtua fighter and monster hunter as mii costumes as well, doesn't mean they're gonna be playable
Yeah it could definitely be looking for patterns where there aren't any, but I think it may be something to consider.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
When you think of Gerudo, you probably think of amazonian women, not the King of all Darkness.
Nope. You know how they say bros before hoes. Villain before women. :p

FF7 Partner
This would probably be a good way for Tifa to get some spotlight. She seems to be the most notable partner in the game. Or maybe they'll do Sephiroth for memes. Make him stab you from the back or something.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Nope. You know how they say bros before hoes. Villain before women. :p

This would probably be a good way for Tifa to get some spotlight. She seems to be the most notable partner in the game. Or maybe they'll do Sephiroth for memes. Make him stab you from the back or something.
Tifa could probably chain her limits together (which she does in FF7 proper), be our new Little Mac AT

Although my huge bias for Aerith/Aeris makes me want her to show up in some fashion haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom