• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
THats interesting, although I've never understood the clone hate. I mean, it's literally just extra content in the game, and if it really bothers you that badly, just... don't play as them?
Exactly this, Sakurai has gone on record several times stating that clones are added as a response to the hard limit a deadline sets on the number of wholly original characters a new game can have. Unless you think that no character would have been preferable, you really have no reason to complain about a clone in Smash

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Reposting this from the roster thread, the bottom row is all the character I think have a chance to get in as echo fighters. However I think only 3 more (possibly 4) will actually get in.
View attachment 148735

Of each, Dry Bowser, Hilda and Yarn Yoshi could end up as costumes, Chrom may end up as part of Robin's FS again and for Octoling, I'm not sure they'd do an Echo of a new character. (again:roymelee: ...)
Unless it's mistype

In what world is
King k rool
Skull kid
Bandana dee
Ashley
Rex + pyra
Elma
Dillion
Simon
Rayman
And Geno

Are possible for echo status?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unless it's mistype

In what world is
King k rool
Skull kid
Bandana dee
Ashley
Rex + pyra
Elma
Dillion
Simon
Rayman
And Geno

Are possible for echo status?
No, the very bottom row.
The ones above are my predictions for brand new characters (albeit not all of them)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There is a good case for Shadow and Dark Samus being playable. Their assist trophies are nowhere to be found and other things have happened to make them likely. Knuckles appears to have replaced Shadow as the Sonic assist trophy and Samus' Dark Samus alt is gone. I also think that Ashley and Isabelle are playable because their assist trophies are also not shown and they're too iconic to remove from the game entirely.

D

Deleted member

THats interesting, although I've never understood the clone hate. I mean, it's literally just extra content in the game, and if it really bothers you that badly, just... don't play as them?
I actually don't hate clones. I'm indifferent to them.
But I think having them share slot with the characters they're based on would be ideal, because:
  1. It's a better justification for giving them a new distinction
  2. It wouldn't not force them to be on their own row or be crammed next to the characters they're based on
  3. It would cause the people who complain about clones being "wasted slots" (which they aren't) to calm down while still letting people play as the character they're used to
Just my two cents.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There is a good case for Shadow and Dark Samus being playable. Their assist trophies are nowhere to be found and other things have happened to make them likely. Knuckles appears to have replaced Shadow as the Sonic assist trophy and Samus' Dark Samus alt is gone. I also think that Ashley and Isabelle are playable because their assist trophies are also not shown and they're too iconic to remove from the game entirely.
There were absolutely no Animal Crossing or WarioWare ATs shown at E3. Isabelle and Ashley not being shown means literally nothing right now.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
I think people are getting way out of hand when it comes to echo fighters. Why would we get a load of them now just because they were given a different name? I believe Daisy is going to be the only new echo fighter shown or we might get one more. Bringing in a load of echos would just be so lazy and uncreative.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
But I think having them share slot with the characters they're based on would be ideal, because:
  2. It wouldn't not force them to be on their own row or be crammed next to the characters they're based on
  3. It would cause the people who complain about clones being "wasted slots" (which they aren't) to calm down while still letting people play as the character they're used to
Just my two cents.
If you want them to share their slot with the character they are based on, why not make them alts? Seriously, the only purpose of echo characters is upgrading alts to their """"own"""" fighter status. I get why people get mad, but shoving them into their base's slot would make things really weird because they actually have differences unlike alts, and it's not like seeing them on the select screen is going to make the game worse.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Am I the only one bothered that we have not seen Shadow or Ashley? They kind of got the same gimmick as an Assist Trophy. I'd be happy with ONE of them making it playable, but not both. I still want one to remain as an AT, since it's not a bad gimmick.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just my two cents.
Good points but I still wouldn't want to choose my fighter of choise from another one's, how trivial their differences might be.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Absent assist trophies mean nothing, except maybe an opportunity for people with overactive imaginations to get carried away with themselves.

I know because I was one of those people with overactive imaginations.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
Nintendo
  1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  2. Captain Toad / Toadette (Daisy got in but not Toad? Travesty! And Toad is long overdue whether you like him or not)
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Lip (her game Panel de Pon was on the Super Famicom Mini, meaning it was popular with Japanese gamers in the mid-1990s and Lip had some exposure due to her game and clothes being included in Animal Crossing New Leaf - welcome amiibo... and she's long overdue)
  6. Meowth (one of the main characters of the Pokemon anime and he is still not in Smash, are you kidding me? He's long overdue and it's not like he's some random or obscure Pokemon from the Pokemon games... and I always wanted a Pikachu vs Meowth dream match in Smash... and Meowth is full of personality and expression thanks to the anime and that would be perfect in Smash and personality and expression were brought up during Donkey Kong's segment at E3 2018... oh, and Smash has Star KOs and we all know why Meowth would be an expert on Star KOs)
  7. Mike Jones (his game Star Tropics was on the NES Classic Edition, meaning it was popular with American gamers in the early 1990s and it would be cool to have one more retro character who was more popular in America in addition to R.O.B., Little Mac, and Duck Hunt)
  8. Takamaru
  9. Waluigi (since Daisy is in, we might as well add him in addition to Toad to make Smash the ultimate Mario spin-off game)
  10. Wandering Heroes (StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II) (yeah, we have Mii Fighters but they are basically Smash OCs, they don't have anything from Wii Sports. But Wandering Heroes could be unique where they change special moves simply by switching to other Wandering Heroes with different shirt colors. Players select their species (cat, dog, bunny) and fur color (black, brown, white) on the CSS. I don't think we ever had a character whose recolors affect the gameplay)

Third-party
  1. Banjo-Kazooie - Top Priority
  2. Dragon Warrior or Eight or Slime (Dragon Quest) (Dragon Quest has a long history with Nintendo dating back to the NES and if we have a Final Fantasy rep in Smash, it's only fitting to have a Dragon Quest rep as well)
  3. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) (SNES and N64 had Mortal Kombat games so the series has history with Nintendo. And it would be fun to have a Ryu vs Scorpion dream match in Smash. Oh, and he could bring Mortal Kombat silliness like Babality and Friendship to Smash)
  4. Simon Belmont (Castlevania) - Top Priority
  5. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury; The King of Fighters) (Wii Virtual Console had many Neo Geo games. Switch is getting many Neo Geo games. Therefore SNK has history with Nintendo. Plus it would be awesome to have a Ryu vs Terry dream match in Smash)

Fourth-party? (okay, I cheated a bit but I couldn't leave out this one)
  1. Captain N (protagonist of the Nintendo-themed cartoon that's all about video game crossovers? He is a perfect fit for a Nintendo-themed fighting game that's all about video game crossovers... and I want that reunion between him, Pit, Mega Man, and Simon Belmont to be officially acknowledged by Nintendo)

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
By the way, am I the only one who thinks Meta Knight closing his eyes is a bit odd. At least, his mask being completely black is, to me.

Also, random Meta Knight fact if anyone cares, but I actually got to meet the voice actor of Meta Knight at a con and I asked him why Meta Knight has an accent. He said it was just a celebrity impression and that everyone else just rolled with it. xD

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Do you think 3rd parties should get echo fighters or should they stay with one rep?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
Fun game!

Nintendo characters:

1) Mike Jones
2) King K Rool
3) Fawful
4) Zoda
5) bandana Dee
6) Andy
7) Ice Hockey Player with adjustable size
8) Geno
9) Vaati
10) Medusa

Third Parties
1) Bonk
2) Richter Belmont
3) Sora
4) Crono
5) Bill Reiser (Contra Guy)

Game Modes
1) Smash Run with many stages,
2) Smash tour,
3) Subspace emissary part 2
4) Subspace emissary part 1 (unlockable if you beat part 2)
5) Break the Targets
6) Home Run Contest
7) Race to the Finish
8) Board the Platforms
9) trophy collection
10) that streetpass game 3ds had
11) Brawl
12) EIght player brawl
13) classic
14) all star
15) adventure (melee clone)
16) Boss Rush (Boss Rush of SSE part 2)
17) Boss Rush 2 ( Boss Rush of SSE part 1)
18) True Boss Rush (Both SSEs.)
19) Vs Boss Mode (Asynchronous multiplayer where one player plays as a Smash brothers boss character)
20) Event Matches (all of them. From melee, brawl, 3ds, Wii U, and some new ones)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Nintendo
  1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  2. Captain Toad / Toadette (Daisy got in but not Toad? Travesty! And Toad is long overdue whether you like him or not)
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Lip (her game Panel de Pon was on the Super Famicom Mini, meaning it was popular with Japanese gamers in the mid-1990s and Lip had some exposure due to her game and clothes being included in Animal Crossing New Leaf - welcome amiibo... and she's long overdue)
  6. Meowth (one of the main characters of the Pokemon anime and he is still not in Smash, are you kidding me? He's long overdue and it's not like he's some random or obscure Pokemon from the Pokemon games... and I always wanted a Pikachu vs Meowth dream match in Smash... and Meowth is full of personality and expression thanks to the anime and that would be perfect in Smash and personality and expression were brought up during Donkey Kong's segment at E3 2018... oh, and Smash has Star KOs and we all know why Meowth would be an expert on Star KOs)
  7. Mike Jones (his game Star Tropics was on the NES Classic Edition, meaning it was popular with American gamers in the early 1990s and it would be cool to have one more retro character who was more popular in America in addition to R.O.B., Little Mac, and Duck Hunt)
  8. Takamaru
  9. Waluigi (since Daisy is in, we might as well add him in addition to Toad to make Smash the ultimate Mario spin-off game)
  10. Wandering Heroes (StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II) (yeah, we have Mii Fighters but they are basically Smash OCs, they don't have anything from Wii Sports. But Wandering Heroes could be unique where they change special moves simply by switching to other Wandering Heroes with different shirt colors. Players select their species (cat, dog, bunny) and fur color (black, brown, white) on the CSS. I don't think we ever had a character whose recolors affect the gameplay)
You got amazing taste my friend.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'd say the only third party that really needs a second rep is Sonic, since this will be his third Smash games represented. I think that at least earns him either a second rep via an Echo Fighter, or possibly just two assists (Hence why we have Knuckles and potentially Shadow).

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Apparently my speculation about the electric Pokemon offscreen being Togedemaru was correct. It can be seen upon slowing down the video. I YTer also claimed to see Dedene, but didn't have any footage.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'd say the only third party that really needs a second rep is Sonic, since this will be his third Smash games represented. I think that at least earns him either a second rep via an Echo Fighter, or possibly just two assists (Hence why we have Knuckles and potentially Shadow).
What would you think about Ms Pac-Man and Ken?

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
In regards to echo fighters, I think at most we'll get two more in addition to Daisy, making the number of echo fighters be 5, which is a nice number to start off with in my opinion. Not a ton, but just enough to get a few more notable reps in the game.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I’ll add Protoman or X to this. They’d be pretty easy echo fighters to make.

Or even a third party alt.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
In regards to echo fighters, I think at most we'll get two more in addition to Daisy, making the number of echo fighters be 5, which is a nice number to start off with in my opinion. Not a ton, but just enough to get a few more notable reps in the game.
I don't know. Since I know about the meaning of "4" in Chinese, I'd rather say, it stays on 3 for now. 5 are a bit optimistic, considering many people still regard Pichu an echo fighter, same with Weegee.

... which baffles me.

Edit: Yes, I know Nintendo is Japanese, not Chinese. Just mentioning that, before... it becomes a seperate topic on its own.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you want them to share their slot with the character they are based on, why not make them alts? Seriously, the only purpose of echo characters is upgrading alts to their """"own"""" fighter status. I get why people get mad, but shoving them into their base's slot would make things really weird because they actually have differences unlike alts, and it's not like seeing them on the select screen is going to make the game worse.
Those are valid points.
I guess I mostly want them to share slots because they sometimes make organizing my ideal rosters more difficult for one reason or another. I know it's a silly reason, but not everyone has to agree with me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Apparently my speculation about the electric Pokemon offscreen being Togedemaru was correct. It can be seen upon slowing down the video. I YTer also claimed to see Dedene, but didn't have any footage.
Which video?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Am I the only one bothered that we have not seen Shadow or Ashley? They kind of got the same gimmick as an Assist Trophy. I'd be happy with ONE of them making it playable, but not both. I still want one to remain as an AT, since it's not a bad gimmick.
Don't worry, both will be an assist trophy when they show us the remaining 20-30 assists missing. ;)

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'm indifferent towards Ken, though I'd rather he not get in purely because that would be another spot for a third party character, and I've never cared much for the Pac-Man franchise enough to dabble with Ms Pac-Man.

I'd be happy for the people who want those two as Echoes, but I feel like there are better candidates at this point.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Predictions for Ultimate Roster.png

Here are my predictions for the roster of smash ultimate
The top ones are unique characters, and the bottom ones are echo fighters.

Inkling (CONFIRMED!)
Ridley (CONFIRMED!)
Elma (Xenoblade will most likely get a second rep.)
Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep (They'll be this game's equivalent of the Wii Fit Trainer.)
Ayumi Tachibana (The obligatory retro character)
Mimikyu (The Gen 7 Pokemon)
Simon (If the Vergeben leaks are to be believed.)
Geno (A long requested character and nearly won the ballot.)
Daisy (CONFIRMED!)
Chrom (Echo Fighter Of Ike) (He needs to get his chance today.)
Isabelle (Echo Fighter Of Villager) (A very popular character in the Animal Crossing series.)
3rd Party Echo Fighter

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 148737

Inkling (CONFIRMED!)
Ridley (CONFIRMED!)
Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep (They'll be this game's equivalent of the Wii Fit Trainer.)
Daisy (CONFIRMED!)
Tom Nook (Echo Fighter Of Villager) (one of the most prominent character in the Animal Crossing Series.)
3rd Party Echo Fighter
Tom Nook is already in Villager's Final Smash. Wouldn't it make more sense to make Isabelle the Echo Fighter?

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 148737

Inkling (CONFIRMED!)
Ridley (CONFIRMED!)
Daisy (CONFIRMED!)
Tom Nook (Echo Fighter Of Villager) (one of the most prominent character in the Animal Crossing Series.)
3rd Party Echo Fighter
Good predictions but we don't know how well Geno did in the ballot.

Graizen

Smash Champion
QUESTION:

If you could choose a SNK Character to enter Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which character would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom