• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
While I agree on the new, more buff take on Samus' body, there's no way you can convince me that, with all the goddam squatting he does, Snake hasn't the buttocks of a goddam goddess.

Don't @ me.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I be honestly pretty hype for Dark Samus as a echo fighter, aslong as she is more close to Lucina than Dark Pit however.

More Metroid rep is always a good thing for me, and DS was always my second pick for a Metroid pick after :ultridley:.

The only thing that would bother me is peoples thinking that Dark Samus is litteraly just a dark clone of Samus ala Dark Pit and nothing else, but you know what, I can live with that fact. Just give me taunts & other visual stuff that show the insane side that Dark Samus have in MP2, and make her design a fusion of her two design + the Metroid Prime in some way, and I be the happiest man in the world.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Really, we're going to need to wait for the next Newcomer/Echo Fighter reveal to really tell where the roster is going as far as inclusions go. Dark Samus would be an interesting inclusion, though I wonder whether Metroid will get another rep after Ridley's already been added. And with so many assists MIA, it's still anyone's game at this point.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
While I agree on the new, more buff take on Samus' body, there's no way you can convince me that, with all the goddam squatting he does, Snake hasn't the buttocks of a goddam goddess.

Don't @ me.
By that same line of thought buff Samus doesn't make sense when paired with her whole contortionist shtick.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
You can definitely express different personalities through a power suit, but Dark Samus' problem is that she has no personality to express. She's a force-of-nature villain rather than an actual character.
thats basically what im saying, she CAN have a different personality but it would only come through with different moves/attacks done in a cold calculated manner and by adding that its no longer an echo fighter its a semi-clone at minimum.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder what Awkward Zombie and Final Smash Comic will make of the E3 reveal concerning everyone coming back as well as Ridley and Daisy being playable?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still think people are reading too much into Echo Fighters. True clones got a new name and people are suddenly acting like this is a game changer for Dark Samus and Dixie.

Has their chances of getting in Smash really changed? People were considering them to be possible clones before E3, so why are things different now? It's not like they suddenly got more relevant.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Well that's because the Morph Ball is ****ing weird and turns her into the light it emits or some ****. In the Prime games anyway
As far as I can recall it's always been that Chozo raising and training has taught her contortionism.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I doubt Echo Fighters have anything to do with popularity.
Daisy had everything to do with popularity. Have you seen her support thread? It didn't hurt that she could easily be made an echo of Peach.

The difference between Daisy and Dark Samus is that I imagine Daisy largely got in through her support in the ballot. (she has a devoted fanbase) whereas I find it hard to imagine that Dark Samus would have performed well in the ballot because...

1. She was an assist trophy in the last games, which surely made most people overlook her (as they would have done for any assist trophy, I think back then voting for an assist trophy was considered a wasted vote)

2. The vast majority of people who wanted a Metroid newcomer were likely focusing their attention on Ridley....and even after that Dark Samus would have had to compete with Sylux.

Edit: I think it's fair to point out that Ridley was also disconfirmed, though Ridley was clearly in a league of his own in terms of demand.

Daisy makes me think that even when they add echo fighters, they're going to based on characters with proven demand behind them. I just really don't see that for Dark Samus based on what we know.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I still think people are reading too much into Echo Fighters. True clones got a new name and people are suddenly acting like this is a game changer for Dark Samus and Dixie.

Has their chances of getting in Smash really changed? People were considering them to be possible clones before E3, so why are things different now? It's not like they suddenly got more relevant.
this.

just cause we have the term "echo fighters" now doesnt mean suddenly dark samus and shadow are more likely to be newcomer clone characters than they were before. or that someone like dixie who should be a semi clone wouldnt be cause she COULD be an echo.

its just a name for the same thing we've always had.

D

Deleted member

****ing this. People are overhyping them to a ridiculous amount.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I be honestly pretty type for Dark Samus as a echo fighter, aslong as she is more close to Lucina than Dark Pit however.

More Metroid rep is always a good thing for me, and DS was always my second pick for a Metroid pick after :ultridley:.

The only thing that would bother me is peoples thinking that Dark Samus is litteraly just a dark clone of Samus ala Dark Pit and nothing else, but you know what, I can live with that fact. Just give me taunts & other visual stuff that show the insane side that Dark Samus have in MP2, and make her design a fusion of her two design + the Metroid Prime in some way, and I be the happiest man in the world.
Closer to Lucina? How can you place all of Samus' s hitboxes differently?

EDIT: "just a dark clone and nothing else"? You are talking about Dark Link, not Dark Pit.

Last edited:

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Bruh it's a video game, your really pushing against the idea of Samus being buff uhmm.
Go back and read my original post. My point was never to say that Samus shouldn't be buff, it was that asking for realism in smash bros designs is dumb.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

I think the logic that most people are putting behind this is something along the lines of "you don't reintroduce characters with a new name and not capitalize on that fully." Plus thinking that there will be more then 1 addition to the echo fighter line.
I semi-agree.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Daisy had everything to do with popularity. Have you seen her support thread? It didn't hurt that she could easily be made an echo of Peach.

The difference between Daisy and Dark Samus is that I imagine Daisy largely got in through her support in the ballot. (she has a devoted fanbase) whereas I find it hard to imagine that Dark Samus would have performed well in the ballot because...

1. She was an assist trophy in the last games, which surely made most people overlook her (as they would have done for any assist trophy, I think back then voting for an assist trophy was considered a wasted vote)

2. The vast majority of people who wanted a Metroid newcomer were likely focusing their attention on Ridley....and even after that Dark Samus would have had to compete with Sylux.

Edit: I think it's fair to point out that Ridley was also disconfirmed, though Ridley was clearly in a league of his own in terms of demand.

Daisy makes me think that even when they add echo fighters, they're going to based on characters with proven demand behind them. I just really don't see that for Dark Samus based on what we know.
Was there demand for Dark Pit going into Smash 4? And I mean before the Palutena trailer when it became blatantly obvious that Sakurai was going to add him as a Clone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Was there demand for Dark Pit going into Smash 4? And I mean before the Palutena trailer when it became blatantly obvious that Sakurai was going to add him as a Clone.
Not as much as Daisy, but yes, there was.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice

It's less "Holy crap Dixie and Dark Samus have way better chances now!" and more that with a term being specifically assigned to Echo Fighters, it's clear that there will be more of them. Otherwise why bother with the distinction in the first place? People are simply latching onto the candidates they feel could work, because their chances HAVE improved in an admittedly roundabout way.

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that the artstyle of Mario from the demo is an outdated version from the one we see in the website
See the polygons ?
So yes when they say Game in Development they really mean it and we can expect a lot of upgrade in graphics in general

Capture d’écran 2018-06-17 à 10.32.55.png

Capture d’écran 2018-06-17 à 10.33.22.png

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
In regards to echo fighters, I know people think that were named in the direct because they're going to be this huge thing and most of the newcomers will be echo fighters....but that wasn't my first thought when I saw it revealed.

I got the impression that perhaps Sakurai doesn't like the term "clone". If you think about it it's a very derogatory and dismissive way to talk about a character and in general is a term that has a negative meaning.

It could have been an attempt to change the term by giving them an official name.

That said I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one more echo fighter (I mean the last game had two of them) but I'm also finding it hard to think of potential echo fighters that would have significant fan demand behind them, aside from maybe Dixie Kong. (and even then I'm not sure how well that would work)

Last edited:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Go back and read my original post. My point was never to say that Samus shouldn't be buff, it was that asking for realism in smash bros designs is dumb.
Relax no one is taking away your silly slapstick fighting game.

We're just happy that a character from a serious si-fi game who is suppost to be a high ranking bounty Hunter actually looks like she can kick your ass, that's all.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think the logic that most people are putting behind this is something along the lines of "you don't reintroduce characters with a new name and not capitalize on that fully." Plus thinking that there will be more then 1 addition to the echo fighter line.
I semi-agree.

except that lucina and dark pit were controversial and met with some negativity in their inclusion on the base roster of smash 4 BUT sakurai really wants to have "Every One is HERE!" in this game AND there was a fan demand for daisy to be included, someone who im guessing he felt fit best as another clone.

so to soften the blow of returning clones once again hes being up front and calling them something else AND hes numbering the roster and not including them in that number so it isnt like they are "dishonest" characters making the game seem bigger than it is.

i think thats all that is happening with echo fighters, we may still see one more MAYBE two mattering to how many newcomers are left but they will be high fan demand characters who simply "fit" best as a clone anyway. I'm personally banking on Chrom myself as he was almost in the last game, got called a "carbon copy" of ike as a joke, and had a fan demand to include him, his fans were disappointed he wasnt chosen while lucina/robin were. but besides characters who fit that criteria im not thinking every possible echo is suddenly likely, especially characters who had literally zero buzz before the term "echo characters" appeared.

D

Deleted member

I initially thought they were just going to be clones that share slots with the characters they're based on, but have a few differences.
Tbh I would've liked that much better :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's less "Holy crap Dixie and Dark Samus have way better chances now!" and more that with a term being specifically assigned to Echo Fighters, it's clear that there will be more of them. Otherwise why bother with the distinction in the first place? People are simply latching onto the candidates they feel could work, because their chances HAVE improved in an admittedly roundabout way.
Clones have always been on the table, and even without the name change, it'd be weird not to see some new ones in SSBU.

Again, I don't think anything has changed aside from a soft confirmation that we could possibly get another clone character - something we should've expected anyway when Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were confirmed to return.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Relax no taking away your silly slapstick fighting game.

We're just happy that a character from a serious si-fi game who is suppost to be a high ranking bounty Hunter actually looks like she can kick your ***, that's all.
Again, you seem to be assuming my reaction to the new design is something far removed from what it is in reality.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's not realism for Smash but for Samus specifically as that "30 years" comment I made was directed at the Metroid franchise, not Smash, that hasn't been around as long and I'm glad Samus finally has realistic proportions for someone of her calibur. I'm not asking for more realistic Mario characters, last time that happened the internet freaked out about Luigi's ****
In regards to echo fighters, I know people think that were named in the direct because they're going to be this huge thing and most of the newcomers will be echo fighters....but that wasn't my first thought when I saw it revealed.

I got the impression that perhaps Sakurai doesn't like the term "clone". If you think about it it's a very derogatory and dismissive way to talk about a character and in general is a term that has a negative meaning.

It could have been an attempt to change the term by giving them an official name.

That said I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one more echo fighter (I mean the last game had two of them) but I'm also finding it hard to think of potential echo fighters that would have significant fan demand behind them, aside from maybe Dixie Kong. (and even then I'm not sure how well that would work)
Yeah that's absolutely it. By giving the clone characters a separate name, people are less likely to think they're being treated as a regular character too, because an issue I see with irl friends is that they don't like how a character who's almost the same is treated as completely different, though they don't mind the Echo Fighters anymore since we got the term

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Personally, while I would love DS, I know her chance are low, even as a echo fighter. I'm just speculating for fun, 'cuz no matter what we got at the end of the day, the fact that Ridley finally made it is all I needed to be hype for this game. Everything we got afterward is just a nice bonus for me.
Closer to Lucina? How can you place all of Samus' s hitboxes differently?
Yeah, I know I should have been more precise on that one.

My point with :ultlucina: & :ultdarkpit: was that, Dark Pit gameplay difference are only three moves in his entire moveset (his f-tilt, his B-neutral & his side-B), beside those 3 moves, Dark Pit play basically like Pit in 4. While Lucina have the same move as Marth, but the lack of tipper make her deal moderate damages & knockback, which cause her to play somewhat differently from Marth.

So, for Samus & DS, depeding at how far a echo character can be different from their original, DS would have the same move as Samus (beside some cosmetic different here and there), but her move could either deal more damages and be more safe on shield, but have less combo potential. Or her moves could be faster than Samus, but deal less damages as a result, making DS more reliant on combo than Samus is.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
What are Echo Fighters called in Japan? I'm assuming it's something else.

For my money, you don't re-brand clones and just do 1. You do 4-5 on top of Lucina and Dark Pit, making them a subset of characters.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I initially thought they were just going to be clones that share slots with the characters they're based on, but have a few differences.
Tbh I would've liked that much better :/
i doubt it based on the fact alph and the koopalings still exist and ARENT echo fighters.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There will be far less newcomers introduced in this game though.

and with the focus this game is getting on fan service I don't think you can compare what happened in the last game to what will happen in this game.

Sakurai has stated he thinks this will be the last Smash Bros game, with that in mind I'm finding it hard to imagine his goal will be anything but trying to please the fans.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
thats basically what im saying, she CAN have a different personality but it would only come through with different moves/attacks done in a cold calculated manner and by adding that its no longer an echo fighter its a semi-clone at minimum.
Yeah, basically the same for Shadow.

People are trying too hard to add echo fighters. It's actually kind of obnoxious. Sakurai still knows how much people dislike getting clones. Hell, people are complaining that Sakurai and his team are lazy because Yink and Pichu came back...

I'm standing by my prediction of 2 more echos maximum.

There will be far less newcomers introduced in this game though.

and with the focus this game is getting on fan service I don't think you can compare what happened in the last game to what will happen in this game.

Sakurai has stated he thinks this will be the last Smash Bros game, with that in mind I'm finding it hard to imagine his goal will be anything but trying to please the fans.
If he wants to please the fans, adding 10 new echos would be the absolute worst way to go about it.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

While this statement is absolutely true, I don’t think that the “echo fighters” branding alone is responsible for raising people’ expectations. Other factors like missing Assist Trophies (Dark Samus & Shadow) and supposedly past considered characters who were deemed to similar to other playable characters (Chrom) in combination with the new “echo character” persona is what really is raising the hype for certain characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom