• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I really don't want to see Decidueye and even I have to disagree. The character, at least in the States, is very popular on its own right. I feel like the grass starter thing was more an excuse to include him than anything.
The thing had "support"and was the "most likely" newcomer for Pokémon before anyone even knew what a "Decidueye" was.

And I seriously doubt Decidueye would have been such a big name in Smash speculation if it weren't for the fact we had no Grass Starter to go with Charizard and Greninja

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So as far as Pokemon newcomers are concerned, why does nobody talk about Marshadow? I feel like he would work very well actually now that I think about it. With both fighting moves and some tricky ghost moves, plus a unique z move for a final smash.

Also as far as Decidueye goes, he is legitimately one of my favorite ever starters. His popularity may be overstated, I dunno, but he seems super cool and unique to me. Ironically he isn't my favorite from Gen 7 though. That goes to Primarina (what can I say I'm gay af), but I don't see how she could be made to work for Smash anyway. Either way Incineroar is super meh imo.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So as far as Pokemon newcomers are concerned, why does nobody talk about Marshadow? I feel like he would work very well actually now that I think about it. With both fighting moves and some tricky ghost moves, plus a unique z move for a final smash.
Marshadow was in one of the movies right? how big of a role did they play?

I wouldn't be mad at marshadow, the design is cute and the typing is interesting, although I'm kinda doubtful they'd add an event only pokemon for some reason tbh

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That leak is a lot of Mario and Mario extended universe characters.

I personally don't care because I love them all.

But Daisy, Ashley, Funky Kong, Waluigi, Geno, King K. Rool?

Peeps would complain about Mario oversaturation like Fire Emblem last game. Even if they had different symbols.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
How good is ridley? Does he have any followups off of his throws or side b?
Ridley is really really good. Super fun to play once you figure him out.

He's tough to start with though you have to learn him. Everyone who played him killed themselves a few time when picking him their first time.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
He's kinda in the Zereora(I'm never gonna spell this correctly...) camp for me too. His movie wasn't received especially well, although the whole talking Pikachu issue was so blown out of proportion that I couldn't stand being on the internet the next few days, and Marshadow was seen as being forced in for the sake of getting in that hip new Mythic/Legendary.

Like yeah, in theory he could be cool, but why would Sakurai choose him when he has a list of the most popular Gen 7 'mons already? I dunno, Marshadow has a chance but it feels pretty small, at least to me.

I'd say between Incineroar, Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Mimikyu there isn't really a ton of room left for competition. An Ultra Beast, Zeroara, or Marshaodw could happen but it feels like those 4 just eclipse their odds.

Inb4 my ranting ends with Sakurai announcing Simon and we get no one else.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
As far as that leak goes, as much as I'd love it because it means Dillon is in, there's no way for the simple fact that Alolan Raichu was shown off either on Treehouse or during the Invitational (can't remember which) as a Pokeball 'mon, so there's no way they'd have Alolan Raichu in the Pokeball and then regular Raichu as a fighter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Anyone else get the feeling that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate seems to be to shaping up to essentially become Smash's answer to Marvel vs. Capcom 2?

As in, this game intends to re-add EVERY single character who's ever appeared as a playable character in a previous Smash game and they're even planning to add NEW characters in addition to them.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Has anyone considered Magearna for a potential Gen VII rep? I feel it can be made unique.
You could make a meaningfully unique fighter out of, without exaggeration, hundreds of Pokemon. I've said this before, but they should just make a spin off already that's only Pokemon. Ironically, the limitation would at least superficially make it much more diverse than a certain parade of anime swordsmen.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Why do people keep ignoring the possibility that we're not going to know the entire roster before the game comes out? Even if a majority of characters are unlockable in this game, that doesn't mean there won't be any surprise characters... quite the contrary, if history has shown us anything, there always are.
In this case, why would we even consider it? As far as we know, there won't be many new characters added to the roster, and just saying that 6 more (on to of the 2 or 3 we already have) will be added is arguably a strech as it is.

If we get more characters for the sake of genuine shock value, then great, but I'm not holding my breath.

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
My reasoning for the strong possibility of Decidueye is that the game started development in early 2016 and rosters are one of the first things Sakurai knocks out before he starts actual programming. That said, it was probably another Lucario/Greninja situation where he was given concept art for a Pokemon and told to make a fighter based on that. Further more, concept art of the three final evolutions of the Alolan starters were leaked in April of that year so it's likely Sakurai had access to those documents too.

By this reasoning, he probably chose one of the three final Alolan starters: Decidueye, Inceniroar, or Primarina. If this is the case, I doubt Primarina because there was already two water types and I doubt Inceniroar because we already have a fully evolved fire starter. That leaves Decidueye who is significantly different from Ivysaur and already demonstrated as a fighter in Pokken. It's not a guarantee but it seems like a natural fit.
I agree with the first paragraph but I think beyond that you're just trying to justify a bit of personal favoritism. You count Incineroar out because of Charizard being a fully evolved fire starter but justify Decidueye as a second grass type because Ivysaur is a middle stage. Look at it from Sakurai's perspective: Sakurai is looking at these characters as individual fighters and what new playstyles they might offer. The stage of evolution is a non-issue because it doesn't affect how the fighters play whatsoever - it's just a label. It's like saying we can't have more than one green-colored Pokemon, or more than one reptile Pokemon. Incineroar will still fight MUCH differently than Charizard regardless of whether Charizard were replaced by Charmeleon or Charmander. If Ivysaur were Venusaur, Decidueye's chances of being a unique fighter would be the same. Semantics like this don't affect their playstyle. I agree that there are too many water types for Primarina to stand out, but Incineroar has just as good of odds as Decidueye and is just as interesting of a fighter for Smash (in my opinion of course).

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

He's tough to start with though you have to learn him. Everyone who played him killed themselves a few time when picking him their first time.
Have you tried ganon yet? How's he doing?
Also, Glad to hear ridley is going good. How hard is down b to land?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You could make a meaningfully unique fighter out of, without exaggeration, hundreds of Pokemon. I've said this before, but they should just make a spin off already that's only Pokemon. Ironically, the limitation would at least superficially make it much more diverse than a certain parade of anime swordsmen.
They did. It's called Pokken.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It better require a jab lock from his partner in doubles. 50%/instant death is bull****.

Day One people are gonna pick Ridley and spam down b online, mark my words.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I played Ganon the most of anyone. He feels GREAT. He feels a lot like PM Ganon.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
This is one where I will have to disagree because Ninten’s PSI list is very very similar to Lucas’, more so than Ness to Lucas (not that it matters with how the Mother series is handled in Smash). Ninten has a few things like Hypnosis and Defense Down, I guess, but more so than Dark Samus or Shadow does he work as an Echo imo. Idk, that’s my take on it, but I don’t think Ninten would suddenly gain a game-accurate moveset after a streak of Ness and Lucas.
The thing I have a problem with it is that Ninten inherently doesn't have any sort of offensive PSI in his arsenal, unlike Ness and Lucas. Any similarities he, Ness and Lucas may share are strictly in terms of Restoration and Assist PSI. I can buy the headcanon of Ness and Lucas learning PK Thunder, Fire, etc from Paula and Kumatora respectively because they CAN use offensive PSI in their own games.

I agree though, Ninten probably won't get an accurate move set if he's in, whether he's an echo fighter or not; but I'd love it if he did.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They did. It's called Pokken.
If you're a Pokemon fan, you owe it to yourself to see Pokken.

As a fighting game, it's a bit on the simplistic side, but as a piece of Pokemon fanservice it is amazing.

Ever wonder how earthquake hurts people? It's because Garchomp stomps them into the ground.
Ever wonder how Mewtwo uses Hyper Beam? It's a giant Kamehameha.
Things like that are hype as all hell.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It better require a jab lock from his partner in doubles. 50%/instant death is bull****.

Day One people are gonna pick Ridley and spam down b online, mark my words.
I believe the instant death effect was artistic license using stamina mode. The damage is unreal but whether or not it will need nerfing will depend on how easy and consistent it is. Moves like Finishing Touch and fully charged Flare Blade look crazy on paper too, but are fine in practice. Outside doubles I guess lol.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
The thing I have a problem with it is that Ninten inherently doesn't have any sort of offensive PSI in his arsenal, unlike Ness and Lucas. Any similarities he, Ness and Lucas may share are strictly in terms of Restoration and Assist PSI. I can buy the headcanon of Ness and Lucas learning PK Thunder, Fire, etc from Paula and Kumatora respectively because they CAN use offensive PSI in their own games.

I agree though, Ninten probably won't get an accurate move set if he's in, whether he's an echof fighter or not; but I'd love it if he did.
Ninten also holds the unfortunate accolade of being less popular than Ness or Lucas, and the casual Smash fan would just see him as a different Ness. I think the only chance he has of representation at this point would be as an Echo. I will give him that his game did get rereleased and Lucas’ didn’t, however!

Also, the fact that Lucas doesn’t learn PSI Freeze but he does learn Flash in his game just shows how much of a mess they are lmao

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I believe the instant death effect was artistic license using stamina mode. The damage is unreal but whether or not it will need nerfing will depend on how easy and consistent it is. Moves like Finishing Touch and fully charged Flare Blade look crazy on paper too, but are fine in practice. Outside doubles I guess lol.
Finishing Touch is dumb still, not busted like it used to be but is a pretty "dumb" move imo. A friend of mine argued Flare Blade too but you cant even land that after a shield break...its not a good argument.

I'm not gonna assume anything about the instant death part of the trailer until someone outright confirms one way or the other. 50% is bs. No argument justifies that. Make it faster and cut the damage by 35% and we gucci.

Also I'm a pretty decent player competitively. I'm a no name but I still know my stuff, so I understand that it can be really hard to land, but that still doesn't justify 50%.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
ALOLAN RAICHU IS A POKEBALL POKEMON?! :D
Yep. It surfs across the screen and hits people. Kinda like a slower, straighter Lati@s.

Abra is a Pokeball Pokemon too. It teleports people to other parts of the stage if it gets close enough to them.

A Pokemon having an ability like this gives me hope for the return of Mushroom Kingdom 64.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Yeah. He was in the gameplay on Treehouse or the Invitational. Just somewhere at E3 he was seen. I forget where.
Treehouse Day 3. During the match between Pikachu and Mewtwo on Lumiose.
Sorry guys, i was taking a break from all the news. Is there a new leak?
Nah, we're all still talking about the official reveal.

Discussion is definitely interesting now that we don't have to worry about which veterans are returning. Now we can all focus on Newcomers.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Inklings were sick but I only played them once. Didn't play snake but he seemed the same as he was.
Glad to hear.
Who was your favorite character that you tried? Why were they your favorite? Does the game feel more like PM or smash 4?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So how would you feel about Octoling? In my mind, they would make a perfect echo fighter. They don't any real opportunities as a separate character, but they're still popular enough that I could definitely see them as a last minute addition.
Octolings as echo fighters are in the same boat as Ryu and or Akuma (less so than Ken) as a Ryu echo fighter imo; they're both popular within their respective fanbases enough that their inclusion would make sense for what echo fighters are. It's the best way to give them representation in a playable fashion without having to do too much work creating a new character from the ground up.

You think they're going to patch the game like last time?
Many thought they wouldn't, but it happened, so I don't see why it wouldn't happen now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone remembers their first time.....
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom