• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Noooooo! It cannot be the last in the series. Meowth still needs to be a playable fighter in at least one Smash game. Just one game is all I am asking!

*Bewear comes to console Meowth*

Two of my favorite and most wanted for this game </3 at least they're in the game though. I'll just have to get my HD Bewear in 2019 with gen 8.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm more confident in their chances than Elma's at this point. There's was way too much Mario Odyssey content shown off (stage, wedding alt, new taunts, Cappy visuals) to think that it wasn't planned out from before development of the game started so games revealed in January 2017 are on the table. The main issue facing the two now are Skye Bennett's comments about not being contacted for VA and the supposedly smaller pool on newcomers this time. My views on Xenoblade's chances at this point lean towards:

-55% no Xenoblade newcomers
-30% Rex and Pyra
-15% Elma
Those aren't completely unique characters though, I can't imagine making an alt or gluing cappy's eyes to mario's hat and giving him a taunt would take all that long, it's not like he has any new cappy specific attacks. Stages probably don't take as long as playable characters either anyway and it's possible mario odyssey assets could be used, same with the breath of the wild stage honestly

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here’s something interesting that was confirmed by Nintendo.

Apparently, unlike what most of us thought that Smash 5 would be basically an iterative sequel, Smash 5 is a BRAND new game that was made from Scratch and built from the grown up.

Do you think this might be another reason for there not being as much newcomers or new stages as well? And why this more of an Ultimate Smash game?
If so, Imma be even more in love with this game than I already am

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So what, they just grabbed the models and instead of copy/pasting them they just rebuilt it from what was already given and tweaked it some? :072:
Yeah but I’m talking about the game itself, stages, modes, models, and even the graphic engine was brand new.

The game itself could’ve been a lot more heavy loaded than we had thought, which is why some people think DLC is where all the new stuff is going to be, and the base will have a bunch of returning stages and veterans.

But for now, let’s focus on what new things that could be added for the base game. Since all the a majority of the information about veteran content had been confirmed in a single day. All we have left is new stuff being revealed and I can’t wait.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Two of my favorite and most wanted for this game </3 at least they're in the game though. I'll just have to get my HD Bewear in 2019 with gen 8.
Same. Bewear was actually my third most wanted Pokémon for Smash following Meowth and Decidueye…

Wait... is Decidueye a Pokeball Pokémon?! :crazy:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Gardevoir's past Poke Ball appearances had it creating a barrier that reflects opposing projectiles. If we saw anything like that during the gameplay footage, then that would've easily sealed Gardevoir's fate as a Poke Ball Pokemon.

At least Gardevoir is still holding strong. Can't say the same thing for Deoxys though.
So far it's looking good for the Ashley, Isabelle, Skull Kid, Phosphora, and Gardevoir fans, hopefully they'll break free from the Assist curse and become playable

I always though Deoxys should of become a playable Pokémon, its different forms would been easily implemented like Shulk's different arts you have my sympathy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Regarding the Xenoblade discussion, Odyssey and Breath of the Wild content don't mean much for Rex and Pyra, particularly since the former game had already finished development before January 2017 and the latter game was delayed multiple times from 2015 to 2016 all the way to 2017 (the second time due to issues with the physics engine).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here’s something interesting that was confirmed by Nintendo.

Apparently, unlike what most of us thought that Smash 5 would be basically an iterative sequel, Smash 5 is a BRAND new game that was made from Scratch and built from the grown up.

Do you think this might be another reason for there not being as much newcomers or new stages as well? And why this more of an Ultimate Smash game?
Yea I knew that

But I'm so happy for sakurai he finally got his wish on no cuts game

That's the real reason for less newcomers it's the only way keep all veterans safe is less newcomers

Noooooo! It cannot be the last in the series. Meowth still needs to be a playable fighter in at least one Smash game. Just one game is all I am asking!

*Bewear comes to console Meowth*

Calm down

He did the same claim for melee, brawl, and smash 4

And also some else can take over for him (new heir to the throne of smash)

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Treehouse were just playing Kirby / Kirby vs. Ridley / Inkling and I managed to get an okay screenshot of Kirby's new Ridley and Inkling hats!

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 11.50.23 AM.png

Last edited:

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Can someone tell me why Mr. Saturn shows up next to Olimar in not one, but two promotional pictures? It's the only character in those pictures that isn't playable. Placeholder or nah?

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Can someone tell me why Mr. Saturn shows up next to Olimar in not one, but two promotional pictures? It's the only character in those pictures that isn't playable. Placeholder or nah?
Please be a placeholder for Bandana Dee. It actually would fit his character quite well.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Same. Bewear was actually my third most wanted Pokémon for Smash following Meowth and Decidueye…

I wouldn't be upset with that personally. Sorry, man. Decidueye was my least favorite of the Alolan starters final evos by far. Primarina was my favorite, though I doubt we'll see her. Ideally for me, though, we get Torracat or Rowlet if we're getting a new starter mon. Super ideally we get Zeraora or a Lycanroc. The reintroduction of Pichu makes me think Zeraora def won't happen though. While I don't think we'll be stopped from having 2 Pokemon of the same type, I can't imagine they're going to have 3 of the same type.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Abra and Alolan Raichu have been confirmed to be new Pokeball Pokemon.

It also looked like Togedemaru was one, but it was off screen, so I didn't get a good look. Regardless, there is some new pokeball Pokemon that creates a new, round electric field of some sort, I think it was Togedemaru. You can see it in the Mewtwo vs Pikachu on Lumiose footage in Treehouse Day 3.

Deoxys, Kyogre, and Abomasnow are returning as well. Kyogre looks to be Nerfed a bit as well. It doesn't last nearly as long as before.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

No, he’s not confirmed yet as a Pokeball. I would’ve been shocked if Decidueye was found out to be a Pokeball as it narrows down our choices for a Gen 7 mon by a lot.

Alolan Raichu is one though, it’s confirmed. Are there any others?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Personally, I'm finding Isabelle's chances to be rather doubtful.
Isabelle has always been one of the givens. Even now with the smaller roster, she seems likely to me.

Not sure why you guys believe otherwise.

There's simply no getting away from how popular she became, what she represents for her series that Villager doesn't, etc, etc.

If two missing assist trophies at the moment are getting a boost? It's her and most likely Ashley considering her Japanese popularity.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I think the reason some people (like me) still hope to see a reveal is ebcause yesterday they actually showed off a new Mario Tennis Aces char that will be free dlc sometime after the launch (Blooper), and that last time they revealed Pacman at Treehouse.

But I agree, Sakurai having flown back to Japan makes it rather unlikely, which is unfortunate.

D

Deleted member

Not yet, thankfully.
If he were, I would probably be grieving right now.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Interesting observation I made, sorry if this has already been brought up but Palkia is still a pokeball summon yet Spear Pillar is back as a stage. Any thoughts on how that will work?

osby

Smash Obsessed
So far it's looking good for the Ashley, Isabelle, Skull Kid, Phosphora, and Gardevoir fans, hopefully they'll break free from the Assist curse and become playable

I always though Deoxys should of become a playable Pokémon, its different forms would been easily implemented like Shulk's different arts you have my sympathy.
Isaac broke free from Assist Curse and it didn't worked out so well for him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I actually think Isabelle is extremely likely as an echo character. I know that's not ideal for her supporters, but her AT hasn't shown up and she'd be a perfect fit for it.
I just don't really see Isabelle being actual fighter material; she's more of a person who prefers to assist others, so her Assist Trophy position in Smash 3DS / Wii U made a lot of sense.

As for Ashley and Phosphora, I guess they could make the playable cut, though my thoughts on Ashley's possible moveset are very blank.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Phosphora before Viridi/Medusa/Hades...nah...Skull Kid or Impa is a yes

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As for Ashley and Phosphora, I guess they could make the playable cut, though my thoughts on Ashley's possible moveset is very blank.
Ashley honestly has a plethora of great moveset ideas. The people who say this don't know any of her lore, they just know her as a minigame character in Warioware.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
If Waluigi didn't happen, I can't see Ashley happening. I'm pretty sure Waluigi was always the more popular character from the Wario series (I know he's never been in any Wario games but as an assist trophy he's considered part of the Wario series in Smash).

D

Deleted member

I'm kind of surprised that, as far as I've seen, no one's brought up Cloud's trailer. People keep bring that Kirby thing back up even though it's clearly just ICs, but nothing on a similar trick used to make it look like Cloud was casting lightning.
Most likely an off-camera Pikachu or Pichu using Thunder.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Waluigi didn't happen, I can't see Ashley happening. I'm pretty sure Waluigi was always the more popular character from the Wario series (I know he's never been in any Wario games but as an assist trophy he's considered part of the Wario series in Smash).
No he isn't. That was an error in the Smash direct that was changed in the full game :p Waluigi is a Mario character.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
No he isn't. That was an error in the Smash direct that was changed in the full game :p Waluigi is a Mario character.
Well then my statement is incorrect. But I'd still imagine that Sakurai or anyone would think of Waluigi as a characters first when thinking of new characters in relation to Wario. I know Ashley is incredibly popular too but Waluigi had her beat before he was revealed as an AT.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Waluigi intro.

Regular battle footage. An assist trophy appears in the middle. Both fighters run toward it, but then it starts to shake.
Understandably, the combatants slowly backtrack. The trophy shatters and Waluigi pops out. A battle icon for Waluigi appears along with a percentage indicator.

Waluigi cheats his way into battle!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well then my statement is incorrect. But I'd still imagine that Sakurai or anyone would think of Waluigi as a characters first when thinking of new characters in relation to Wario. I know Ashley is incredibly popular too but Waluigi had her beat before he was revealed as an AT.
If Popularity was the only concern, Waluigi would be playable. There's more to consider here, though. Ashley is pushed by Nintendo in her own games and out of them. Waluigi popularity is a product of memes and general internet community.

Essentially, Nintendo wants Ashley to be pushed. Online memers want Waluigi to be pushed. Who wins here? :thinking:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi intro.

Regular battle footage. An assist trophy appears in the middle. Both fighters run toward it, but then it starts to shake.
Understandably, the combatants slowly backtrack. The trophy shatters and Waluigi pops out. A battle icon for Waluigi appears along with a percentage indicator.

Waluigi cheats his way into battle!
That's a good contrast to Little Mac.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, this is some interesting stuff, here.
How is long-time Smash director Masahiro Sakurai’s health? In the past we’ve heard that he had issues with his wrists during development.

Trinen: He’s totally fine. I think he had wrist issues during the development of the Wii U game. He’s fine now. My understanding is he got over it, did some rehabilitation on it, and is in good shape.

Is this a compressed Smash Bros. development cycle? Are these guys getting pushed really hard to get this thing out in December?

Trinen: No [laughs]. Well, not any harder than Mr. Sakurai always pushes himself. He throws himself into his projects. I guess it depends on how you look at it because the Wii U game launched in 2014 and this is 2018, so four year cycle.

The gap between Melee and Brawl was seven years and the gap between Brawl and Wii U was six. It feels quick.

Trinen: I always look at the jump from N64 to Melee as really sort of being the biggest jump in Smash Bros. and that was actually the shortest gap between two games.

Bihldorff: And remember, between Brawl and Wii U, he had a little game called Kid Icarus: Uprising, which was fairly large to develop.
Biggest thing to note is that the game is confirmed to have had a four year cycle, and the development is not currently being rushed. Also, Sakurai's not pushing himself harder than usual at the moment, though he does want this to be the definitive Smash game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering what Sakurais done for the entire cast, I want to say he's focusing on pleasing as many people as possible this time around, pure fanservice and no gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks. So I have a question. If you had to pick a single character JUST because of a gimmick they could bring in, who'd it be? I'd add Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear and have his gimmick be air dashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom