• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
5 may be too small but I want to play it safe with this round of speculation. Maybe 6 if things work out better but outside of Echo fighters i'm not going any farther than that. I believe this will be the game with the least amount of newcomers ever, even smaller than Melee's.

Echo Fighters I imagine there will be like 7-10 to compensate for the lack of newcomers. More like Sakurai's way of appealing to those who may have wanted a character that's not going to be an original character this time around.
I personally think that there will be only 5 echo fighters, because it's like the sweet spot that feels like "cool" and not that sakurai is using them as an excuse to not add unique ones instead. Plus, there aren't that many characters that could work as a total clone (Daisy feels a little "off" but her top tier taunts and animations save her). Dixie for example couldn't, or at least shouldn't be one because it would mean 0 hair attacks.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I wonder why there's two more spaces for characters in that amiibo case.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I’m pretty sure it’s just because it’s the only size amiibo case they have. They used the same kind of case for the new Splatoon amiibo, of which there are exactly three.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I could not be happier stage wise. My all time favorites, Hyrule Temple, Corneria and Onett are back once again, AND he brought back Great Bay and Fourside. Good lord I never expected those two to ever come back.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'll paste my comment from a reddit thread about the same topic.

I think these boxes are just made to fit 4. They pulled out an identical box when they were discussing Splatoon Octo Expansion earlier today. It had 3 amiibo and one Splatoon 2 placeholder card. I'm guessing they just have 4-spot amiibo boxes and filled the empty spaces with cards to make the box feel less empty.

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between being safe and being unrealistic. Sakurai merely said not to get expectations too high. As in, don't expect us to get as many characters for this game as last.

What has been said that makes it reasonable to conclude we're getting half of the amount we got in Melee, the most rushed game in the history of Smash Bros. and the one with the least newcomers?
It's mainly the scope of the game. Bringing back everyone ever in the series is no small task, not to mention that characters aren't the only thing that has to be worked on. Stages, modes, trophies, music, there's a toooon of stuff that all requires a ton of time to get right, and there's only so much a single development team can do, especially when the game most likely only has 5 more months of dev time left before it has to go gold for it's Dec. 7th release. And for the characters themselves, sure, you can reuse some things, but interviews coming from Nintendo are stating most of this game is being done from scratch, so that means new models, new animations, textures, voice work, etc. It all piles up after a while.

I'm not saying there won't be any more newcomers, I'm just expecting the bulk of them to come from DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
They're doing a match on the treehouse with nothing but Assist Trophies. We could see a lot more disconfirmations now.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
My bet: No additional Smash Info today (except for items and assist trophies). But no "reveal" or anything exciting. Tag me and mock me if I'm wrong. (I won't be ;) )

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sakurai should announce a poll. Vote for the Assist Trophies that you want upgraded to playable status.

The winner(s) will be downloadable (as well as code that blocks the AT from appearing).
GENIUS! Your Nobel Peace Prize is being delivered at your current location via Express Air Drone immediately. Don't move a muscle!

That would be epic if he chooses to do that, someone should introduce the idea to him.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
We knew Krystal was an assist trophy two days ago lmao.

Knuckles is also an assist. Isabelle may be. I've heard conflicting statements on her. Ashley is up in the air (and better stay that way....). Maybe a few others?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, I guess this will make Chandeelure Chandeelure 's day ^^'. And mine, too. I love Bandana Waddle Dee :D

EDIT: Man this thread moves fast the topic has already shifted.
Thank you for tagging me :)

I don't know if I can trust memoryman, but it gives me more hope.
I'm going to be honest, I don't really understand what's that thread haha.

Like, a guy asked him there for Waddle Dee and memoryman said that affected only Daisy, because Waddle Dee was with the Animal Crossing amiibo or something like that, I don't really understand that code lol.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Did I miss something, or were those all known?
Yeah, I believe we knew all the ATs they showed off. Which sucks, because now we're no closer to knowing if any previous ATs are disconfirmed again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For those who didn't see the match with the Poke Balls, Giratina, Abomasnow, and Deoxys all popped out of Poke Balls. Another Pokemon also popped up, but it went off-screen, so I was unable to see what it was.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
For those who didn't see the match with the Poke Balls, Giratina, Abomasnow, and Deoxys all popped out of Poke Balls. Another Pokemon also popped up, but it went off-screen, so I was unable to see what it was.
And Bewear, Alolan Vulix, and Alolan Raichu

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
It was that little white, round, electric rodent from a later gen (6?)

Edit: Togedemaru (gen 7), like someone else said earlier

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think it was Togedemaru. There were reports of it at E3 using Discharge, and its animation and what little we saw of it matches that description perfectly.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Practically, the only two stages I want now are the Pirate Ship, and Fountains of Dreams those are the only two I Want everything else is icing on the cake :)

Also, you know who e haven't seen as an Assist Trophy? Kat & Anna. How does everyone feel about having them become an Echo Fighter for the Ice Climbers?

I think it was Togedemaru. There were reports of it at E3 using Discharge, and its animation and what little we saw of it matches that description perfectly.
That means Gardevoir isn't disconfirmed and still has a chance :)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm gunna call the cut off custom moves. Don't see why they would rework Palutena if they were still in.

Unfortunately my favorite neutral B for her was Heavenly Light (especially for 4-8 player matches) so I'm sad it's probably gone :(

When I said Link's range is better, I was not lying. LOL.
My biggest complaint for this game is Link's ugly hair. I mean it just doesn't compare to his old model. I hope his model gets updated in the final.

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Judging by their description and what it did, I think it was Togedemaru.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm gunna call the cut off custom moves. Don't see why they would rework Palutena if they were still in.

Unfortunately my favorite neutral B for her was Heavenly Light (especially for 4-8 player matches) so I'm sad it's probably gone :(
It's not all doom and gloom just yet, since some images have been posted, which compare Kirby's Inhale, to his Ice Breath from Smash Wii U; their visual effects are not the same.

Also, while we'll never see this in the E3 build, if the Custom Part item shows up in any future screenshots, then that would likely be a strong indication that customs are coming back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom