• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Are customs gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQE9Y5ERvvs

Towards the end of this video, when asked who he's considering maining, Nate Bihldorff answers Palutena, as he wanted to in Wii U but couldn't then because she didn't have a set moveset he could decide on.

(Timestamp is 26:35)
The custom logo was still shown off in the invitational.

Granted it's the one from the Smash 4 menu and not the custom item logo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey all. I have a question.

Are we expecting a retro and/or a legacy/historical/hardware newcomer this time around, or do you think the comment about not expecting "too many" newcomers means we're going to see a focus on more popular characters instead?

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Since this will probably be my last Smash, I am super happy about bringing everyone back. The cuts were pretty devastating to me both times.

Anyway, people on and off give their top five hopefuls, so here's mine:

Rowlet/Decidueye
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Impa or a Goron

Anyone else would be great, though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Watching treehouse right now. Why do people think they're going to announce something? xD
Didn't someone say that Sakurai has already headed back to Japan? If true, I don't think there is anything major left to expect from treehouse other than some surprise Assist Trophy/Pokeball Pokemon that wasn't spotted yet...

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
I actually think Simon Belmont won't happen. Vergeben only "leaked" Snake and Ridley (did he also leak the no cuts thing? I don't remember), which are very safe guesses. He didn't say that everyone would come back or that Daisy would be a new character, which are the things that couldn't have been predicted without sources.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Fun fact: I actually wanted this to be an item back in the Pre-SSB4 days.

I'd say it functions more or less like the Sling Star-suggestion I've had here, but I'm glad nonetheless.

Hey, Valk.

I see you're enjoying the new Link Between Worlds Zelda style.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Are we expecting a retro and/or a legacy/historical/hardware newcomer this time around, or do you think the comment about not expecting "too many" newcomers means we're going to see a focus on more popular characters instead?
There's a chance maybe. It's really hard to say.

I do expect like 5 original newcomers to be shown off. Sakurai went out of his way to make a new Smash reveal intro different from the one Smash 4 had so there has to be like 5 more at least. Echo fighters wouldn't warrant those kinds of trailers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Assuming that the customs icon doesn't get changed, the best way to know that customs are back is if we see any screenshots with an object that has the wrench icon present.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
View attachment 148344

I knew about Meta Ridley... but PROTEUS Ridley too!? I didn't saw that alt!
I think there's some confusion on whether his alt is Proteus or meta...I'm more familiar with Proteus than Meta so I assumed it was Proteus but it is a lot of metal...idk lol

Just did some research. The Smash Wiki says:

-Neutral infinite has received a finisher,[1] an upward tail swipe.
-Diddy Kong slaps forward twice, turns around to quickly kick the foe, and proceeds to repeatedly whip them with his tail. The attack finishes with an upward tail flick.

I also booted up Smash 4 3DS and tested it. Diddy still uses his tail for his jab, it's just not infinite.
I believe people are reffering to Diddy Kongs video on the website, his jab no longer goes into tail swipes or whatever. Someone correct me if I'm misinterpreting I don't play Diddy Kong much :x

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Assuming that the customs icon doesn't get changed, the best way to know that customs are back is if we see any screenshots with an object that has the wrench icon present.
Or it could mean that Advance Wars is going to have a new character. :)

No not really but I want to dream...

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I'm expecting/ hoping for one.

Satebo

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Melee had 8 original newcomers and 2 were retro characters, we'll probably get one here as well. Although it's possible we've just run out of good retro choices tbh

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think there's some confusion on whether his alt is Proteus or meta...I'm more familiar with Proteus than Meta so I assumed it was Proteus but it is a lot of metal...idk lol
Ultimate meta Ridley:
ss_6.jpg

Proteus Ridley:
Proteus_Ridley_MSR.png

Meta Ridley:
MetaRidleyClear.png
The alt. showed is Meta Ridley, that was I am confused by the fact that it says "Meta ridley AND Proteus Ridley".
If the person that wrote that was confused, it could just wrote a "/" instead of "and".

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I actually think Simon Belmont won't happen. Vergeben only "leaked" Snake and Ridley (did he also leak the no cuts thing? I don't remember), which are very safe guesses. He didn't say that everyone would come back or that Daisy would be a new character, which are the things that couldn't have been predicted without sources.
Yeah Vergeben sounded less confident on Simon then he did Ridley. His reasoning had to do with Castlevania getting a game on the Switch which I think could still happen.

Not saying he won't happen but i'm very iffy about Simon.
I'm expecting/ hoping for one.

Satebo
Andy for me if he could dual represent the NES/GBA.
Melee had 8 original newcomers and 2 were retro characters, we'll probably get one here as well. Although it's possible we've just run out of good retro choices tbh
Yeah Melee had 8 original newcomers and I expect a number slightly less than that. This game is poised to be what Melee was to Smash 64. Lots of reworking vets, fewer number of newcomers, and a lot of clones to compensate for said lack of newcomers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Or it could mean that Advance Wars is going to have a new character. :)

No not really but I want to dream...
I've already gotten down what the wrench icon looks like, so if any Smash Ultimate screenshots display the Custom Part item that's shown on the image below, then the return of customs will very likely be official.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

I still think there could be hope for someone like Mach Rider (with the ability to transform armor into a motorcycle).

Someone that looks cool enough to excite and delight despite a lack of awareness.

Is there a F-Zero fan who actually wants Black Shadow as a fighter, not a moveset dump?
Nope, I've never seen anybody who actually wants the character on his own merits, and instead just treat him as an object to dump a moveset they don't like to. The fact that more people advocating for his inclusion are Zelda fanboys than F-Zero fanboys is pretty telling. Ignoring the fact that Black Shadow doesn't fit the slow but powerful archetype at all in F-Zero (or at least, his vehicle doesn't), this is by far the most selfish and disrespectful way to include any character. It's way worse than just including a clone. It's literally just introducing a character to give another character's moveset to. A replacement clone.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah Vergeben sounded less confident on Simon then he did Ridley. His reasoning had to do with Castlevania getting a game on the Switch which I think could still happen.

Not saying he won't happen but i'm very iffy about Simon.

Andy for me if he could dual represent the NES/GBA.

Yeah Melee had 8 original newcomers and I expect a number slightly less than that. This game is poised to be what Melee was to Smash 64. Lots of reworking vets, fewer number of newcomers, and a lot of clones to compensate for said lack of newcomers.
I'm still fully expecting at least 7 or 8 original newcomers, any less than that would be really disappointing tbh

D

Deleted member

Honestly, it's tough to say. Vergeben technically wasn't the first person to bring up Ridley, the mods on Reset Era were. The only thing he got right was Snake, and his "no cuts" was pretty vague if even technically correct.

I think the real wrench in Vergeben claims is probably Daisy; he said nothing about it or any of the other returning veterans. Some of his stuff definitely sounds like piggy-backing...

I dunno. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. For me personally, I'm 50/50 on Simon; I could see it happening just as much as I could see that part of the leak being fake. It really depends, TBH. This honestly has the potential to be Gematsu all over again.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ultimate meta Ridley:View attachment 148345
Proteus Ridley:
View attachment 148346
Meta Ridley:
View attachment 148347
The alt. showed is Meta Ridley, that was I am confused by the fact that it says "Meta ridley AND Proteus Ridley".
If the person that wrote that was confused, it could just wrote a "/" instead of "and".
Oh yeah defintely Meta lol thanks.

Yea I think they just mistook one of them for Proteus. I haven't heard a confirmation on it.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

We’ve always gotten characters like that, so I would guess we’d get one this time around. However, Takamaru seemed the most likely going into this game and apparently he’s been seen as an assist already. Sukapon’s an assist now which rules him out. Honestly, the best shot I think now is what others have suggested and go back to cut content from other games and give us a character like Mach Rider or Bubbles. I’m not sure who any retro/tech front runners are, so it’s anyone by my guess.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's something I find pretty interesting, how long until someone finds a way to make Smash Switch mods? :079: I'm not sure how you would do it or if it could be done, but I'm sure someone would find a way somehow.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Watching treehouse right now. Why do people think they're going to announce something? xD
I mean, they did...just not for Smash.

The fact that Sky Skipper is getting an Arcade Archive release is actually incredibly important. Up until last year that game was one of the biggest pieces of lost Nintendo history.

Hell, it's too late for this go-around, but next Smash? I'm supporting the hell out of Sky Skipper for the retro/historical character. :p

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I feel like there will only be 2-3 new characters this time around. Maybe just 2. I hope one is a ballot character and another is King K Rool (Bias).

I'm content nonetheless

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Personally, I'm not.

The obvious choice was Takamaru. Not only was he a retro character, but he was one Sakurai personally wanted, and one who seemed to have the barriers to his ascension cleared. He had gained prominence in the West due to his inclusion as a support trophy. And he got a new and unique (ie: not based on his AT assets) Mii costume as an indicator that he was still being thought of.

Then he returned as an AT. And so did Sukapon, another possible inclusion.

I'm thinking that a lot of the "standard" inclusions that we would get in a larger newcomer roster may wind up falling by the wayside. Including: The obligatory Pokémon rep, the obligatory Fire Emblem rep, the obligatory retro character, and the obligatory WTF character.

I think we'll see a lot of ballot choices and fan favorites instead.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Saying Snake and Ice Climbers as back while also saying "RIDLEY IS PLAYABLE" is not a safe guess. I also believe it's not happening, but I believe that he was told it was, and was given old info.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's something I find pretty interesting, how long until someone finds a way to make Smash Switch mods? :079: I'm not sure how you would do it or if it could be done, but I'm sure someone would find a way somehow.
Trying to hack the Nintendo Switch will come at a huge price; you'll most likely be banned from online play.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai should announce a poll. Vote for the Assist Trophies that you want upgraded to playable status.

The winner(s) will be downloadable (as well as code that blocks the AT from appearing).

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'm still fully expecting at least 7 or 8 original newcomers, any less than that would be really disappointing tbh
I'm sorry but I think you'll definitely be dissapointed with expecting that many unique newcomers in the base roster, I just don't see it happening at all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai should announce a poll. Vote for the Assist Trophies that you want upgraded to playable status.

The winner(s) will be downloadable (as well as code that blocks the AT from appearing).
Sakurai would probably rather not give the obvious winner Waluigi a chance. :rotfl: He'd easily win by a landslide I think.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean, Waluigi winning would be a forgone conclusion. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom