• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Actually I've thought of something.

For discussion's sake, let's separate third party characters into two main categories.

Gaming Icon and Nintendo Fan Favorite

These are the two types of third parties I can see make it in. I'm confident that no one else will.

So without further ado, here's my list.

Gaming Icon
:4sonic:
:snake:
:4megaman:
:4pacman:
:4ryu:
:4cloud:
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
:4bayonetta:
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

What others could we add to the list?
Along with the ones already mentioned, I'd add Sans, Terra Branford and Cecil Harvey for Fan Favorites. The latter two are both from Final Fantasy, but they both seem to have a notable fanbase among Nintendo players.

Monster Hunter I would argue that if it's not an icon, it's close to it. It's been a rising star for years now, and with World being as big a hit as it is, you can definitely put it among the icons in terms of success. Dovahkin's similar in that they hail from just from one game, but that one game is so influential on a number of franchises (including Zelda) that you can argue it's something of an icon just for that.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
unpopular opinion but

am i the only one who hopes for there to be no new third parties? this is a nintendo crossover of nintendo series, that's why I play this game; not to play as Sonic or Ryu. I don't really care about being able to watch Mario and Sonic duke it out, sorry. Bloating Smash up with third party characters isn't the way to go imo

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Ok so Alax's point about singleplayer modes not being fulfilling and a lot of 4's roster being unlocked from the start. I for one would rather the roster not being locked at all, but how do you guys feel about unlockable skins to give singleplayer some meaning again?
Coming out of lurking mode to say, I for one love unlockables. The more unlockables the better. I for one want more "Challenger Approaching" screens, and would be super disappointed to have the entire roster unlocked already.

?????????????

Smash Master
unpopular opinion but

am i the only one who hopes for there to be no new third parties? this is a nintendo crossover of nintendo series, that's why I play this game; not to play as Sonic or Ryu. I don't really care about being able to watch Mario and Sonic duke it out, sorry. Bloating Smash up with third party characters isn't the way to go imo
I like the third parties, but I’m picky. I prefer ones that I strongly associate with Nintendo.

I always wanted characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont in Smash, but I NEVER would’ve thought of Solid Snake or Pac-man.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rabbids can easily go into icons. Hmm. Can't think of many other fan favorites or icons beyond that which has been.

I don't think Fulgore fits either category(though he's more icon than Nintendo fan favorite at this point, mostly due to people wanting B&K more).

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
unpopular opinion but

Personally, I'm fine with third parties. Anything that gives me more characters to play as is fine by me, with very few exceptions.

Troykv

Smash Master
Lloyd Irving for fan favorites seeing as he was in Super Smash Flash and various Namco rep polls post Pac-Man he's in had him on top or near it.

Heihachi as well.

KOS-MOS as well too.
Yeah, not as iconic as the actual icons, but they're very liked in their community and gets to appear outside their base games in one way or another.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
unpopular opinion but

I'm fine with 3rd parties as long as they're gaming icons and are important to the history of gaming, like I'd be cool if they added simon, rayman, lara etc but characters like geno or indies are just a no from me

Edit: wait a sec, is that shantae in your signature...girl...

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
unpopular opinion but

*looks at avatar*
*looks at the current six third parties*

I'm only messing with you, really. You're entitled to your opinion, I just decidedly do not have the same one.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Its funny that most people will recognize pheonix wright from funny youtube videos from 2007 of him saying objection

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
unpopular opinion but

There less than 9% of third party in smash in the whole roster.
Beside, Spiting on third party, who for somes made the glory of Nintendo like Street Fighter II the MegaMan Series, Final Fantasy I to VI and probably (maybe) the Castlevania Series wouldn't be much better.
All of the Third Parties are like 100% more famous than most of the roster baring Mario/Luigi/DK/Pikachu/Charizard/Link

And we can mostly agree that there barely enough A/B tiers Nintendo characters left, Isabelle being one of the last S tiers Nintendo characters left.

The future of Smash at the rate of Nintendo making new IP and characters might be third parties.

Why do you think this is the first smash where no one is willing to claim a shoe-in like Rosalina/Chrom(Robin)/Little Mac and such?

We're almost out of "all star" Nintendo characters.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
unpopular opinion but

I would normally agree, but I think most of the really notable Nintendo characters are already in. Sure, we don't have Ridley or K.Rool (yet) but the Nintendo characters that aren't in yet probably haven't made it for a reason.

That said, there is such thing as too many third party characters in my opinion. But we're not there yet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There less than 9% of third party in smash in the whole roster.
Beside, Spiting on third party, who for somes made the glory of Nintendo like Street Fighter II the MegaMan Series, Final Fantasy I to VI and probably (maybe) the Castlevania Series wouldn't be much better.
All of the Third Parties are like 100% more famous than most of the roster baring Mario/Luigi/DK/Pikachu/Charizard/Link

And we can mostly agree that there barely enough A/B tiers Nintendo characters left, Isabelle being one of the last S tiers Nintendo characters left.

The future of Smash at the rate of Nintendo making new IP and characters might be third parties.

Why do you think this is the first smash where no one is willing to claim a shoe-in like Rosalina/Chrom(Robin)/Little Mac and such?

I wonder if this is the game where loads of third-party newcomer characters are added to the base roster?

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I still think Sakurai needs to add characters from every genre of games

Where's our horror, visual novel, FPS, shoot em up, and rhythm character

?????????????

Smash Master
Hm...

In my opinion...

Toad, Waluigi, Daisy, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Ridley, Meowth, Isabella, and arguably certain Fire Emblem characters.

...And even then, we still have things like “the retros,” updates to evolving series like Pokémon, additional “flesh out” options I neglected like Waddle Dee, sequel stars like characters from new entries of Xenoblade, and characters from new IPs like ARMS.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hm...

In my opinion...

Toad, Waluigi, Daisy, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Ridley, Meowth, Isabella, and arguably certain Fire Emblem characters.

...And even then, we still have things like “the retros,” updates to evolving series like Pokémon, additional “flesh out” options I neglected like Waddle Dee, sequel stars like characters from new entries of Xenoblade, and characters from new IPs like ARMS.
This is why I said "almost"
But you cannot lie that for the wide audience.
Getting Cloud is more Appealing than Bandana Dee-
Or getting Sonic instead of Waluigi.

Like...
They lack that "sparkle" that makes EVERYONE who played video games go "whoaaa"

Beside if the rumors are true this game might be the one where Nintendo add some of those missing characters...but after?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I still think Sakurai needs to add characters from every genre of games

Where's our horror, visual novel, FPS, shoot em up, and rhythm character
I think the visual novel count is self-explanatory, as are most shooters given Sakurai's stance on guns. I do agree that horror is something that could be fun, especially if it's something from Eternal Darkness that utilizes the sanity meter.
What I think is more strange the fact that characters from real fighting games only got represented through a single DLC character in the most recent installment. What about Tekken? KoF? Virtua Fighter? Or even just adding Ken/Akuma as a semi-clone of Ryu? I'm not saying it needs to have all of those, but it could stand to have one or two...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Technically they originated in Super Mario Sunshine. They just didn't call themselves the "Toad Brigade" nor made uniforms at the time. That's what I call "character development".

Toad Brigade in Super Mario Sunshine

Toad Brigade in Super Mario Galaxy

Toad Brigade in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker + Super Mario Odyssey

Dammit, now I really want a Toad Brigrade side series, and have all the toads go on wacky adventures.

Add toadette to that list too.

Beside if the rumors are true this game might be the one where Nintendo add some of those missing characters...but after?
I feel like this is the Smash game that is going to peak the number of playable characters and series to boot.

With a lack of clear front runners, I feel that Sakurai is going to be more interested in looking at characters from lesser known and even dormant series. There are still a lot of interesting characters from series that haven’t have a strong presence before.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm fine with 3rd parties as long as they're gaming icons and are important to the history of gaming, like I'd be cool if they added simon, rayman, lara etc but characters like geno or indies are just a no from me

Edit: wait a sec, is that shantae in your signature...girl...
yeah honestly i just love shantae and her games, I'm biased. hypocritical to have shantae and say "no more third parties!" but honestly I don't ever think Shantae will make it in and i feel like smash already has too many 3rd party characters, 6/58, that's more than 10%! yeah it's only a tenth but when you think about it a tenth is actually a decent amount in a nintendo crossover. With Rayman, Snake, Simon, and whoever else they may or may not put in that tenth is gonna rise too

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Well per the Special Edition's artbook, we actually do know that the XC2 party's concept art, with all their angles and facial expressions, were finalised at the latest within the period between May and September 2016, with all meaningful design adjustments likely happening before then, because that's the range of dates they're signed off with. This puts Rex & Pyra in a prime position for being considered for Smash as their concept art was almost certainly 100% complete in advance of the roster being finalised.
Oh jeez. I've looked over the artbook and it seems you're right. This is what I found:

April 5, 2016: Niall (colored ver.)
April 27, 2016: Addam (outlined ver.)
May 17, 2016: Nia (outlined/colored ver.)
May 24, 2016: Vandham (outlined/colored ver.)
June 5, 2016: Roc (colored ver.)
June 6, 2016: Poppi (outlined ver.), Morag (outlined/colored ver.), Brighid (outlined ver.), Lora (outlined/colored ver.)
June 7, 2016: Fan la Norne (outlined/colored ver.)
June 10, 2016: Roc (colored close up of Roc's face)
June 12, 2016: Amalthus (outlined ver.)
June 13, 2016: Tora (outlined/colored ver.), Pandoria (colored ver.), Addam (outlined ver.)
June 21, 2016: Poppi QT (outlined/colored ver.), Lila (outlined ver.)
June 25, 2016: Mythra (outlined ver.), Niall (outlined ver.)
June 28, 2016: Pandoria (outlined ver.)
July 25, 2016: Zeke (outlined ver.)
August 2, 2016: Dromarch (concept art)
August 30, 2016: Pyra (facial expressions)
September 6, 2016: Nia (facial expressions)
September 12, 2016: Rex & Nia (facial expressions)
September 13, 2016: Brighid (facial expressions)
September 17, 2016: Poppi (facial expressions)
September 19, 2016: Poppi (facial expressions)
October 2, 2016: Morag (facial expressions)
October 4, 2016: Mythra (colored ver.)
November 8, 2016: Mythra (facial expressions)
February 7, 2017: Mythra (sketch)
February 22, 2017: Zeke (colored & detailed design of Zeke's eyepatch LOL)

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
What I think is more strange the fact that characters from real fighting games only got represented through a single DLC character in the most recent installment. What about Tekken? KoF? Virtua Fighter? Or even just adding Ken/Akuma as a semi-clone of Ryu? I'm not saying it needs to have all of those, but it could stand to have one or two...
Dude, if I had free reign?

Iori Yagami.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the visual novel count is self-explanatory, as are most shooters given Sakurai's stance on guns. I do agree that horror is something that could be fun, especially if it's something from Eternal Darkness that utilizes the sanity meter.
Fulgore truly needs move love. ;_;

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
This is why I said "almost"
But you cannot lie that for the wide audience.
Getting Cloud is more Appealing than Bandana Dee-
Or getting Sonic instead of Waluigi.

Like...
They lack that "sparkle" that makes EVERYONE who played video games go "whoaaa"

honestly I never saw (and still don't) what was so cool about Cloud, the DLC for SSB4 really disappointed me as it's three veterans, three third parties and Corrin. Like what's so hype about Cloud or Ryu or Bayo? Ryu is the main guy of Street Fighter so that's kinda cool I guess but as someone who's played strictly Nintendo consoles it's frustrating to see this huge focus on third party characters when they're not what makes Smash special.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
honestly I never saw (and still don't) what was so cool about Cloud, the DLC for SSB4 really disappointed me as it's three veterans, three third parties and Corrin. Like what's so hype about Cloud or Ryu or Bayo? Ryu is the main guy of Street Fighter so that's kinda cool I guess but as someone who's played strictly Nintendo consoles it's frustrating to see this huge focus on third party characters when they're not what makes Smash special.
You're entitled to your own opinion but I refuse to believe that I just read "what's so cool about cloud?" From Someone who have a Moggle avatar or anyone who played Video Games.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You're entitled to your own opinion but I refuse to believe that I just read "what's so cool about cloud?" From Someone who have a Moggle avatar or anyone who played Video Games.
I love Slime, Cactaur and Moogle.

From Mario Sports Mix. :laugh:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What's the deal with "woah!" meme and where even did it come from?

I feel like this is the Smash game that is going to peak the number of playable characters and series to boot.

With a lack of clear front runners, I feel that Sakurai is going to be more interested in looking at characters from lesser known and even dormant series. There are still a lot of interesting characters from series that haven’t have a strong presence before.
Depends on how well said franchise did in the ballot. I don't see any character from a Nintendo franchise unrepresented in the Smash 4 roster doing that particularly well in the ballot with the exception of the Inklings.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
There's no point in arguing against it.

3rd party characters are the ones who generate the most hype and also increase significantly the sales for Smash nowadays, like it or not.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I love Slime, Cactaur and Moogle.

From Mario Sports Mix. :laugh:
Well to answers your impossible to believe question...
See the "Goku" meme?
Right under him you had Cloud.
Cloud happened.
It blows everyone's mind.
The protagonist from the most well known RPG in the world in smash and one of the best JRPG ever.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Playing strictly Nintendo consoles doesn't preclude you from liking Bayo and Ryu. You can currently get 13 different iterations of Street Fighter on Switch alone thanks to USFII:FC and the 30th Anniversary Collection released a couple days ago. It's a bare-bones port, but it's very functional in the core modes and a good opportunity to check out Alpha and Third Strike if you haven't previously.
Q for Smash
And Bayo obviously is nearly second-party anyway.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Oh jeez. I've looked over the artbook and it seems you're right. This is what I found:

April 5, 2016: Niall (colored ver.)
April 27, 2016: Addam (outlined ver.)
May 17, 2016: Nia (outlined/colored ver.)
May 24, 2016: Vandham (outlined/colored ver.)
June 5, 2016: Roc (colored ver.)
June 6, 2016: Poppi (outlined ver.), Morag (outlined/colored ver.), Brighid (outlined ver.), Lora (outlined/colored ver.)
June 7, 2016: Fan la Norne (outlined/colored ver.)
June 10, 2016: Roc (colored close up of Roc's face)
June 12, 2016: Amalthus (outlined ver.)
June 13, 2016: Tora (outlined/colored ver.), Pandoria (colored ver.), Addam (outlined ver.)
June 21, 2016: Poppi QT (outlined/colored ver.), Lila (outlined ver.)
June 25, 2016: Mythra (outlined ver.), Niall (outlined ver.)
June 28, 2016: Pandoria (outlined ver.)
July 25, 2016: Zeke (outlined ver.)
August 2, 2016: Dromarch (concept art)
August 30, 2016: Pyra (facial expressions)
September 6, 2016: Nia (facial expressions)
September 12, 2016: Rex & Nia (facial expressions)
September 13, 2016: Brighid (facial expressions)
September 17, 2016: Poppi (facial expressions)
September 19, 2016: Poppi (facial expressions)
October 2, 2016: Morag (facial expressions)
October 4, 2016: Mythra (colored ver.)
November 8, 2016: Mythra (facial expressions)
February 7, 2017: Mythra (sketch)
February 22, 2017: Zeke (colored & detailed design of Zeke's eyepatch LOL)
Holy whack-a-moly! This is a substantial development for me as a speculator, as someone who is currently banking on Rex and Elma. Wow...

Onua

Smash Journeyman
If we got a visual novel char that wasnt Phoenix Wright I think a Dangaronpa rep would be hype. Either it would be Makoto or Junko.
I think Junko would be cooler just cause she could use executions and monokuma in her moveset alongside truth bullets and such
Like some examples could be like
Fsmash - Monokuma falls on the ground in front of her and she kicks him in the butt launching him forward.
Dsmash - Monokuma slams his gravel on the ground at her feet on both side while she laughs with her arms folded.
Upsmash - She throws monokuma up in the air and he spins around with his claws (like sonic in function)
Crouch could be like bayo crouch but she twirls her hair and kicks her legs back and forth while monokuma sits on her back
Neutral special - she could load up a truth bullet or she could do the baseball execution by firing a gattling gun of baseballs
etc etc
Final smash could be an execution on whoever you happen to hit with it.

I think Dangaronpa would be a really great series to have in smash since its so stupidly popular and would bring in a lot of people just for a Dangaronpa rep getting in by themselves.
I dont think itll happen but hey you never know.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Playing strictly Nintendo consoles doesn't preclude you from liking Bayo and Ryu. You can currently get 13 different iterations of Street Fighter on Switch alone thanks to USFII:FC and the 30th Anniversary Collection released a couple days ago. It's a bare-bones port, but it's very functional in the core modes and a good opportunity to check out Alpha and Third Strike if you haven't previously.
Q for Smash
And Bayo obviously is nearly second-party anyway.
That's a good point. And I know I'm a minority since I also only play Nintendo games. Don't really find interest in other companies' games save for a few. So when I see constant additions of third party characters in a game that's supposed to be a Nintendo crossover, it boggles my mind.

As a counterpoint though playing strictly Nintendo consoles does preclude me from liking Cloud, who wasn't on the Wii/U/3DS as far as I know (though you did exclude him for a reason). I just don't feel third party characters should be so anticipated and welcomed in a game all about Nintendo's series and history. But I digress.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
>Not taking Terry Bogard
You're not OKAY
I honestly would love Terry Bogard to be in Smash. SNK has been putting in a lot of Neo Geo games on the Switch (now that the Wii Virtual Console is practically closed). It also would be cool to have Ryu vs. Terry Bogard in Smash. Oh, and Mai Shiranui could be an Assist Trophy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they ever touch Roy and remove him again, Sakurai is going to get a CRITICAL HIT! from Crusher

I would ****ing gladly take Micaiah over certain characters at this point

Exactly what would that be...another blue haired swordsman? Robin's character, story, and class is far more unique than Chrom's anyway

As much as I love Awakening, they need to stop over representing that series and move onto a series that deserves some love and representation
You could just stop by the Chrom thread and maybe read the OP. Just saying. Pretty much everything you asked is answered there. And what? Robin's portion of Awakening's plot (the second Plegia/Grima arc) is the single most-often pointed to portion of the game when it comes to poor writing. General consensus pretty much everywhere is that the Chrom/Gangrel arc was the strongest of the Awakening arcs while the Robin/Validar/Grima stuff was plagued with dumb plot points.

2. Chrom's a completely vapid character, even falling below the most generic and uninteresting of Fire Emblem lords. Same goes for his daughter, but she's a copy-paste clone so that makes it slightly better.
Leaving aside Smash entirely (since I've literally never said Chrom was likely), this is absolutely wrong, actually. Chrom's character arc centers largely around the theme of fatherhood, which in itself is unique among lords. Sure, Eliwood and Hector would eventually become fathers, but not until after their journeys concluded. And Sigurd was a father but it happened far too late in his life for it to impact his character to a significant degree.

But for Chrom himself, the idea is a central pillar of his character. In chapter six he details the history between Ylisse and Plegia to Robin, explaining how his father, the previous exalt, led a crusade against Plegia to preemptively stomp out the Grimleal. The war ravaged both countries, and Ylisse was so low on troops that Chrom's father conscripted non-combatant farmers to essentially act as cannon fodder while he commanded from on high. The war ended with his death, leaving Emmeryn to rule and face the mess her father left behind, while acting as a sort of surrogate mother to Chrom. And considering the war coincided with Chrom's younger, formative years, it had a profound impact on him.

The atrocities his father committed inform many aspects of his character. Emmeryn instilled in him his good-hearted nature, but Chrom took it upon himself to protect his people. He formed the Shepherds out of what was essentially a group of his friends. He fought alongside them instead of commanding them, station as Prince be damned. And he cares for each and every last one of them as family, as shown in his Summer Scramble support with Stahl and several of Vaike's supports, for example. Even with Donnel's recruitment, he doesn't conscript Donnel the way his father would have: he inspires him, and Donnel volunteers after proving himself capable. In this regard, he is a father to his men, and a sharp contrast to his own father. And Chrom's major trait, being fiercely protective of those he loves, is a classically parental trait, emblematic of a father.

But then come the events of chapters nine and ten, and Chrom (spoiler alert) must cope with the loss of Emmeryn herself. After Robin leads the Group Pep Talk™ to get him back on his feet, he leads the charge against Gangrel and ends the war between Ylisse and Plegia, leading to an era of peace that lasted...two years. But in those two years between wars, something important happened: Lucina was born. As acting Exalt, Chrom is no longer just the father of his country, but a father in the literal sense. And now that the Valmese Empire is encroaching on Ylissean soil, Chrom has no choice but to fight back and secure a future for his daughter.

A lot of people say the Valm arc was kinda filler-y, but while it has its issues (namely a lot of telling over showing and handling Say'ri and Yen'fay haphazardly), it furthers Chrom's other arc, which was becoming a ruler worthy of his people. Chrom states during the initial visit to Regna Ferox that he was never much for diplomacy. Emmeryn's death, however, had an impact on him, and when it comes time to fight Walhart, he offers Walhart a shot at peace, extending the branch as Emmeryn would have. It doesn't work on Walhart, but Chrom is actually a tad remiss over it, even apologizing to Emm under his breath because diplomacy failed. Walhart further discusses this in his paralogue, setting apart the path of kings and conquerors.

Chrom's biggest revelation comes when he finds out that "Marth" is his daughter, Lucina, from a future where he fell in battle. His reaction is especially telling. "You deserved better from me than one sword and a world of troubles." This draws a distinct parallel between him and his late father, as his father left him and Emmeryn with the exact same things: Falchion for Chrom, and a world of troubles for Emmeryn. With his resolve further bolstered they're ready to take on Plegia, and when Robin finds out about his own heritage, Chrom tells him he's "his own man before he's anyone's son," further drawing parallels between Robin's paternal situation and his own. After all, Robin is just as much a part of Chrom's family as anyone else among the Shepherds, if not more so. Their bonds give him strength.

Chrom is far from a bland rehash of the series's previous lords. His tale, instead, is about fatherhood and its many forms. In a journey of self-discovery and his coming-of-age, Chrom becomes a father to his men, a father to his country, and a father to his own daughter, and, in the process, becomes the total antithesis of his own warmonger father, becoming a man and ruler of his own design. And in this, he became my favorite character in the franchise.

Just because a character arc isn't tossed in your face at any given moment, doesn't mean one doesn't exist. :)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I love the concept of third-parties in Smash (though given my signature that is as surprising as my stance on the likelihood of a no-cut scenario). Even if you argue that Smash should exclusively be about celebrating Nintendo history, there is still plenty of third-party characters from games and franchises with more significance to Nintendo history than quiet a number of suggested Nintendo characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom