• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
No. No. No. NO. Chrom is too bland and adds nothing to the roster other than another blue haired swordsman

I'd rather another FE Rep over one more from Awakening
Would you like to see Micaiah in Smash?

Please, these last days had being a bit lonely in the thread.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Okay, here's one; if you HAD to give a second character to each third party character already existing in Smash Bros., who would you pick?

Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Proto Man
Pac-Man: Blinky
Ryu: Chun-Li
Cloud: Tifa
Bayonetta: I literally do not know the series well enough. I own 1 and 2 and fully plan on playing them sometime, so I've avoided anything that could be a potential spoiler.
For me
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Wasn't an epic yarn stage planned but then they did the yoshi stage instead? Also kirby's final smash.

I don't think he has an issue.
Yeah, Kirby's final smash is from Return to Dreamland and the Epic Yarn stage was planned, then it got scrapped because it was too similar to Woolly World, but then afterwards they decided to make Great Cave Offensive a stage as the replacement, so it got replaced by yet another a Superstar stage. It's weird that they didn't go for a Return to Dreamland stage after the Epic Yarn one fell through, it's what makes me think he's actually biased against modern Kirby. I hope I'm wrong though.

It's also kind of weird that Epic Yarn was planned over Return to Dreamland in the first place, inb4 it was because Epic Yarn wasn't developed by HAL.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Very nice response @Pokechu. With Captain Toad and Bandanna Dee, I think they will be judged differently. Sakurai's personal connection to his own franchise makes the biggest difference here on how he will judge Dee compared to Captain Toad. Though, I have been thinking quietly in my mind that maybe Captain Toad would be judged very differently since his spinoff has been on a positive quality/sales start compared to Paper Mario game's degrading quality with each new PM game. I could see Nintendo pushing Sakurai on CT, but only if Nintendo told him that they were planning two ports of CT late in 2018 to make Captain Toad's spinoff a bigger success. I could see a scenario like that, but I only see 2014-2017 Nintendo titles influencing Sakurai's roster decisions. I doubt his one and only spinoff title on the Wii U will heavily affect Sakurai's decision on seriously considering CT at the time of 2016 roster planning. I think he would want to see how CT's spinoff franchise will grow before assuring his decision. We will have to see.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I think Captain Toad is very likely. His timing lines up pretty well with the beginning of development (his game: 2014, development started: 2016), and his popularity is something else right now.

From the perspective of someone putting together a Smash roster in 2016, Captain Toad is notable due to his game's reception and popularity, as well as the history behind both Captain Toad himself and the generic Toads (who are also a big face of Mario at this point). Little Mac's timing was similar; Punch-Out!! Wii released in 2009, and Smash 4 began development in 2012.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah, Kirby's final smash is from Return to Dreamland and the Epic Yarn stage was planned, then it got scrapped because it was too similar to Woolly World, but then afterwards they decided to make Great Cave Offensive a stage as the replacement, so it got replaced by yet another a Superstar stage. It's weird that they didn't go for a Return to Dreamland stage after the Epic Yarn one fell through, it's what makes me think he's actually biased against modern Kirby. I hope I'm wrong though.

It's also kind of weird that Epic Yarn was planned over Return to Dreamland in the first place, inb4 it was because Epic Yarn wasn't developed by HAL.
Maybe they didn't think the options for RTDL stages were that interesting? the game as a whole seems kinda basic. And then 8-player smash was a thing so they wanted to make a big stage so I guess great cave offensive just worked out.

Still the fact that a stage based on one of the games he didn't work on was planned shows that he's not really biased.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Captain Toad is very likely. His timing lines up pretty well with the beginning of development (his game: 2014, development started: 2016), and his popularity is something else right now.

From the perspective of someone putting together a Smash roster in 2016, Captain Toad is notable due to his game's reception and popularity, as well as the history behind both Captain Toad himself and the generic Toads (who are also a big face of Mario at this point). Little Mac's timing was similar; Punch-Out!! Wii released in 2009, and Smash 4 began development in 2012.
Honestly, I'm not sure how much is popularity and how much is people just expecting the character. Toad has existed for decades, and he's never been a particularly popular Smash request. All of a sudden, we get a Toad who can't jump and people are like, "Woah, this guy should be in Smash!"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, I'm not sure how much is popularity and how much is people just expecting the character. Toad has existed for decades, and he's never been a particularly popular Smash request. All of a sudden, we get a Toad who can't jump and people are like, "Woah, this guy should be in Smash!"
It would be like people play the Sonic games. Think he shouldn't be in smash that much.
But suddenly play Sonic Labyrinth where he can't run and think "Whoa, he need to be in smash".

But honestly, I think it's more like "we finally have a real TOAD character that isn't just one from a specie" t

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I do not know if you have seen this video but it absolutely nails all my feelings regarding the single player experiences of SSB4. It just sucks.

Every thing feels like multi man melee/brawl which were the modes I wouldn't touch unless I wanted to unlock Falco. And Smash Tour is terrible.

I hope they bring better modes to the 1-P experience in 5mash, because to me even SSB64 was better than Sm4sh when played alone.

And I hope they bring back some of the sound effects from SSB64 and SSBM. They were so satisfying.

All I wanted:
Classic Mode from Melee
Adventure Mode from Brawl
Events from 4
Break the Targets and Board the Plataforms from 64
Orders from 4
All Star from Brawl
Boss Battles from Brawl
Yes, those sound effects were the best, especially when you and your opponents were using sword and clashing sword sound effect chimed in and made your sword sing. A simple sound effect but, it made your matches so much more intense especially if your opponent was evenly matched with you.
Words can't describe how hype each sword fight made me feel :)

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I've seen Toad support since before Brawl, but I never really understood it because the Toad species, in general, was always really underwhelming to me. The only Toad truly worth my time was this fellow here:

I'll happily take Toad if Toad is actually The Master. He's an old man, martial artist Toad that turns Super Saiyan. Literally the coolest thing that has ever spawned from the Toad species.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Literally every famous leaker credibility ever in the industry destroyed into ashes lmao-
I'd laugh too, but considering that I want Krystal in Smash I'd end up shooting myself in the foot. So for the time being I'll hope its true while containing my expectations.

For one, I'd imagine they're a balancing nightmare, making it so they all complement each other without being over/underpowered compared to the others has proven to be a struggle in the past. And they take so much development time essentially making multiple characters when that time could be spent on someone else.
Yeah those are good points. I myself thought it was a good mechanic but if implementing it could hinder the roster in the long run, it probably was best they got rid of it.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It helps to have an actual, well-defined character rather than a generic species. :p

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
People are talking about potential leaks tomorrow because of e3 setup right? Did we get any e3 leaks for smash Bros. Before? I don't remember ever seeing smash newcomers leaked by the setup crew. Maybe they keep newcomers off of the booths and stuff to prevent leaks?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
People are talking about potential leaks tomorrow because of e3 setup right? Did we get any e3 leaks for smash Bros. Before? I don't remember ever seeing smash newcomers leaked by the setup crew. Maybe they keep newcomers off of the booths and stuff to prevent leaks?
Mario Maker was leaked like that...AND I THIIIINK Splatoon too-

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
that's what they did in 2014. I recall that in that pic where Mario Maker leaked, you could see some Smash stuff but only already announced characters

Splatoon never leaked

I think the only Nintendo games that ever leaked by E3 booths were Mario Maker and NSMBWii

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Maybe they didn't think the options for RTDL stages were that interesting? the game as a whole seems kinda basic. And then 8-player smash was a thing so they wanted to make a big stage so I guess great cave offensive just worked out.

Still the fact that a stage based on one of the games he didn't work on was planned shows that he's not really biased.
I think a stage based on Another Dimension or Halcandra would have been amazing personally, Return to Dreamland's endgame is anything but bland imo. The 8-player smash thing is a fair point though, although if that's the reason I wish they would have said it.

I swear though, if by next game we still don't have any modern Kirby stages, I think I'll explode lol.
How much better would the rumour about Fire Emblem be if they called the new game Fire Emblem: Woke
If GOTY was decided by titles alone, I'd say we'd have a winner, with Yoshi's Flipping Island being the honorable runner-up.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yeah, I know those were. I'm just thinking back to all the e3s that have had smash and I don't remember any newcomers ever being seen early. So my point is, is it possible they keep newcomer images off their booths to prevent leaks? I don't know how else we could not have gotten smash leaks at e3 before. It's probably nothing. Just a thought.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

What do you think about it?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While it's not necessarily the same, amiibo placeholders on Best Buy have spoiled a few things. They never reveal anything aside from what series they're from, but they're almost always spot-on with how many amiibo we get. We could probably know in advance how many newcomers we'd get if they get listed as "amiibo SSB".

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

Very fun mode. Enjoy going through all the fighters in the game, gets harder and harder every game with so many more characters, too.

For order, I prefer fighting characters by series, in order of age. Going through cast to cast was fun.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

The Project-M special mode or the single player mode? If we're talking about the Project-M one where you get to shuffle characters every stock, I'm all for it becoming a thing in the official games, it's pretty cool. If it's the single player mode, well, there's going to be aaaaallllooootttt of posts saying something like "THIS CHALLENGE TO BEAT ALL-STAR WITH EVERY CHARACTER IS RIDICULOUS, WHO EVEN HAS THE TIME TO PLAY THROUGH IT AS ALL 74 CHARACTERS!?", and there'll be more the bigger the roster gets lol.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

I think it's very repetitive and boring.
You just spam powerful attacks to kill the characters in like 3 hits.

Also, kinda unrelated, but did you guys notice that proyectiles in Smash 4's All-Star Mode don't have decreased knockback like all the other attacks?

Example: Your character will probably survive until 200% or more because the CPU's moves are weak in All Stars, but proyectiles like Mega Man's Forward Smash, Samus's Charge Shot or even Olimar's Smash Attacks kill you at the normal percentages (like 90%-110%).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

Return to a more Melee-like design. That way you aren't overwhelmed easily. It worked very well balance-wise. Sure, you might still have to face more than 3 opponents(ignoring the final one), but that's better than a giant long match filled with a huge amount of opponents. Save that for Event Mode.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still hope this time we get the mode and choice to have "One stock per character" kind of match, where we can choose multiple characters each becoming one stock.

It's ****ing criminal that this **** was locked behind Smash Tour, the worst smash mode ever made.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally I like All Star Mode.

It's meant to be a challenge and I like it that way.

Pesonally I prefer Smash 3DS's order where its by the character's date of origin. Though Brawl's order by series and debut date of series was good too. Though it would end with a bunch of characters only getting one character to fight against.

I do want SOME kind of order though. Only other order I can think of is by Smash game the character joined at but that's kind of lame.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I still hope this time we get the mode and choice to have "One stock per character" kind of match, where we can choose multiple characters each becoming one stock.

It's ****ing criminal that this **** was locked behind Smash Tour, the worst smash mode ever made.
I still question why they would build the functionality into the game and then just not let us play it as its own separate mode.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think a stage based on Another Dimension or Halcandra would have been amazing personally, Return to Dreamland's endgame is anything but bland imo. The 8-player smash thing is a fair point though, although if that's the reason I wish they would have said it.

I swear though, if by next game we still don't have any modern Kirby stages, I think I'll explode lol.

If GOTY was decided by titles alone, I'd say we'd have a winner, with Yoshi's Flipping Island being the honorable runner-up.
Maybe they wanted to avoid endgame spoilery stuff I guess. But yeah if we don't at least get a robobot stage I'll be shocked, both it and triple deluxe have a lot to work with

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Return to a more Melee-like design. That way you aren't overwhelmed easily. It worked very well balance-wise. Sure, you might still have to face more than 3 opponents(ignoring the final one), but that's better than a giant long match filled with a huge amount of opponents. Save that for Event Mode.
If no cuts are happening, All-Star Mode is going to be daunting once again

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I still question why they would build the functionality into the game and then just not let us play it as its own separate mode.
Maybe they didn't want to acknowledge it because Project-M had it, the mode isn't a extremely original idea or anything, but the reason Sakurai didn't include a hazard toggle is seemingly because Playstation All-Stars had it first? Not sure if that's the reasoning but it sounds like that to me, here's the quote. "You can still manage the appearance of items, but you cannot disable the damage caused by the stages. If we propose such an option, it might as well be PlayStation all-stars!"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If no cuts are happening, All-Star Mode is going to be daunting once again
Because of they way they're doing it. If they shorten how many per round, it won't be a big deal. Even 5 per round isn't that bad.

Other things that can be done is allowing customs for healing, more hearts, possibly 2 stocks, etc. It's not too difficult to balance out.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
How is All Stars hard when you literally kill every character with just 2 or 3 hits, survive to ridiculous percentages and have a lot of healing items?

It's long and repetitive, not hard.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How is All Stars hard when you literally kill every character with just 2 or 3 hits, survive to ridiculous percentages and have a lot of healing items?

It's long and repetitive, not hard.
Beating it with everyone on hard is hard.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I mean, it's not all that surprising that a specific Toad getting a unique identity / traits, which becomes recurring and gets their own mini-game then even a full game right before a new Smash game is a more popular choice than just a supporting character species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom