• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
That also depends on the dates. Nintendo's tweet about Geno & Mallow was on May the 13th. Was the riddle leak before or after that?
i want to say it was after every single one of those things:

the sakurai using a robot toy to model something in a new game was back in january.
I'm not positive on the geno mallow tweet but I feel like I heard it before the imgr leak
and zeros involvement in being invite to a KH3 event was also before the imgr leak i THINK

dont quote me on those dates though. Like I said its possible the leaker faked it by looking for pieces of known possible "evidence" but even still some of that stuff was vague and i didnt see many people using them to prov the character was in the game. the one other thing the imgr leak has is guessing snake and then vergeben saying snake as well, totally guessable given simon was in the vergeben leak but its the one thing the imgr leak said first and THEN something with "credibility" said the same that im sure was imgr leak saying it first.

once again im not saying its true just that if its fake, they did their homework for who actually has evidence, most fakers do not and assume the characters everyone is GUESSING are the ones who have the most evidence, instead we are missing some characters everyone is guessing in favor of odd choices but they have some backing. it would be tough to find JUST the characters with solid evidence (elma,sora,geno/mallow + the vergeben leak + snake cause of simon and konami) and ignore "faking" the stuff most people are guessing (captain toad, rex/pyra, ARMS rep, decidueye etc...).

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That also depends on the dates. Nintendo's tweet about Geno & Mallow was on May the 13th. Was the riddle leak before or after that?
After that Tweet.

I remember Nintendo Italy teasing another Donkey Kong game through a tweet that got removed as well as Retro hiring David Wise for another (unknown) game.
That's true- but that's why I would love to see the collective meltdown ever on internet.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
When you are a lonely loser, a thing like an story mode and a boss rush mode feel much great than balance patches for multiplayer.
this is why I liked Brawl more than Smash 4.
Just an opinion.
Seeing as Smash for 3DS was designed to be more personal experience, while the Wii U was to be the stadium game, it's not really that surprising for the Wii U game to feel kinda boring without others to play with you.

At least Smash Run kind of fixes that a little. RNG reward systems make it a little annoying to grind and feel like you got anything of value out of it lol.

Zeox

Smash Champion
A super secret leak that is totally 100 not fake and is real because my dad works on nintendo have send me an image of the real ballot winners, because we all know that Bayoneta didn't won anything, here are the real 100% ballot winners that again is not fake because my uncle works on sega:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
When you are a lonely loser, a thing like an story mode and a boss rush mode feel much great than balance patches for multiplayer.
Just an opinion.
It'd be nice if we could get both, neither the balance for multiplayer and the single player content should be neglected.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
A super secret leak that is totally 100 not fake and is real because my dad works on nintendo have send me an image of the real ballot winners, because we all know that Bayoneta didn't won anything, here are the real 100% ballot winners that again is not fake because my uncle works on sega:
forgive me but I unironically would love sonichu in smash for all the wrong reasons.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Sonichu...that nightmare will never end, won't it?..

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Just an opinion.
The only thing Brawl lacked was competitive balance. The aesthetics were weird as well. Other than that, to me Brawl is the perfect smash game.
The only mode I really liked from SSB4 was the Master and Crazy Orders.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not aware, but Bandana Dee came after Sakurai had vacated the Kirby series right? Do we know if he's a bit like Miyamoto when it comes to Kirby after he left or does he just not give two squats since he's pretty much a free agent who just keeps going back to Nintendo anyways?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm not aware, but Bandana Dee came after Sakurai had vacated the Kirby series right? Do we know if he's a bit like Miyamoto when it comes to Kirby after he left or does he just not give two squats since he's pretty much a free agent who just keeps going back to Nintendo anyways?
If I recall correctly, he debuted in Kirby Super Star. Sakurai was still director at that point

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Everyone want Bandana Dee
Me I'm just sitting here thinking Kirby already have a ****ton of representation with like, a billion of trophy, enemy, stage, item and music
I don't even like the "rep" argument but I think Kirby is fine

Guess I have to hide in a bunker

M_Patch

Smash Rookie
If I recall correctly, he debuted in Kirby Super Star. Sakurai was still director at that point
I believe only as a Megaton Punch NPC, if I'm not mistaken.
He wasn't really characterized until after Sakurai was no longer making the games.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I could see the 7 DLC vets being revealed at E3. It would be a good marketing ploy for those who didn't get a Wii U as they could go " previous DLC characters included!". Since it's likely this was port turned expansive sequel.
That would be just WONDERFUL

So I can tell people who want Roy gone to suck it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No. No. No. NO. Chrom is too bland and adds nothing to the roster other than another blue haired swordsman

I'd rather another FE Rep over one more from Awakening
He absolutely could add new things. The issue was that Robin could just add more.

D

Deleted member

The sad thing is, I could easily see Magnemite scoring really high in Japan. Where we have our Shreks, our Gokus, etc., Japan has their Magnemites. :081:

Polan

Smash Lord
all i want for e3 is a third party trailer. have all the third parties (and mario) greet and fight the new third party. of course there will be excess amounts of sodium chloride from all the nintendo purists and the people who want cloud and bayo gone but who cares. it would be badass to see all those gaming legends in one CG trailer.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
all i want for e3 is a third party trailer. have all the third parties (and mario) greet and fight the new third party. of course there will be excess amounts of sodium chloride from all the nintendo purists and the people who want cloud and bayo gone but who cares. it would be badass to see all those gaming legends in one CG trailer.
Well for sure atleast one third party character will be revealed

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Its kind of just hit me that we've seen NOTHING since inkling.

like I honestly expected theyd show the game a bit before E3 but nope, we are going in blind and i just have to assume the info dump we'll get there will be tremendous. This might be the most excited I've ever been for an E3.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The only thing Brawl lacked was competitive balance. The aesthetics were weird as well. Other than that, to me Brawl is the perfect smash game.
The only mode I really liked from SSB4 was the Master and Crazy Orders.
You didn’t like the legendary Smash Run?

He absolutely could add new things. The issue was that Robin could just add more.
The other issue is that between Heroes and Warriors (maybe even the next FE game), Chrom’s chances grow lower every day due to being bested by the likes of Celica and Lyn (even Anna is looking more useful and fresh than he is). The best he might get is an alt to Lucina...otherwise he’ll have to stick with being apart of a final smash and getting roasted by Viridi and Palutena

Sonichu >>>> :4pikachu::4sonic:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

like I honestly expected theyd show the game a bit before E3 but nope, we are going in blind and i just have to assume the info dump we'll get there will be tremendous. This might be the most excited I've ever been for an E3.
That's why people should stop worrying about fake leaks/Rumor being talked lmao. Once E3 start, Nintendo will go full Rapid-Fire marketing on Smash since it's announced to be out this year.
Every sliiiightly believable rumor that will pop will get debunk the same month
With Smash 4 we got news relatively often, so imagine for a game that only have MAXIMUM six month left-

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Me I'm just sitting here thinking Kirby already have a ****ton of representation with like, a billion of trophy, enemy, stage, item and music

That rep is actually why I want B.Dee and Dark Matter so badly, almost all of that representation is from Sakurai's games and Bandana Dee only became notable post-Sakurai, content not made by Sakurai no matter how notable it is, is really rare in Kirby's Smash 4 representation, I mean, Bandana Dee and Dark Matter don't even have trophies, I forgot the exact numbers but I believe only 4 or so Kirby trophies depict content made by a director not named Sakurai and all the stages are from his games.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

It has been almost 3 months since the last time we saw anything on this game. We are going to get the info dump of a ****in' century at E3.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Plot twist: That's because there is nothing new except the Inklings, the game is Brawl HD, and the Inklings are merely Snake's replacement because Konami didn't want to get aboard.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume that we will go from a severe drought to a massive flood, hopefully. I'm ****ing excited.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Updated the roster analysis OP to include Bandanna Dee in my prediction roster. Feel free to take a looksy.
This is a little offtopic but I've been meaning to post my own thoughts about Toad and your analysis of why you think he won't get in, this is a little long so you can ignore this if you want :laugh:

for ease of access I'll link to your roster analysis OP and your RTC Toad post

to be honest I feel like if Bandana Dee gets in then Toad will too, both are the primary representatives of their series' generic species. Considering how the ballot came just months after Toad's game released it's likely that he gained a lot of votes as well (as I saw you mention how BD likely got a surge of votes), and evidence of these votes/Sakurai's acknowledgement of Toad could be Toad getting a Mii costume alongside other characters (Inkling, KKR, Geno) as in the base game they didn't even have a Toad hat.

You use Toad having his spinoff series "not be significant enough" but Dee doesn't even have a spinoff series (granted, I will give him that he was playable in Rainbow Curse, but Toad's still playable in like every Mario spinoff lol), and even though he has his own games he can still be grouped with Mario and his gang. For another example; would Tingle not be considered a Zelda character just because he has his own games? Tingle has more than one game but no one's saying that he wouldn't be a Zelda newcomer. Also, Tingle's series hasn't had the best sales to my knowledge (not exactly sure what they sold, don't quote me LOL) but people don't think that'd prevent him from getting in Smash. From this I find it indefinite to think that CT:TT isn't significant enough, as one million sales is very impressive for a new series on the U. How it's getting ported to 3DS and Switch with new content is an indicator of how it was a success.

You make a good point with how Paper Mario with his 10 million sales still hasn't gotten into Smash, I'm not gonna lie. Honestly all I have to say to that is maybe Sakurai doesn't see the point of a second (unique) Mario? Granted we have two Links (albeit they share a moveset) and a mushroom with limbs isn't very interesting either so I know this is a hypocritical point, but Paper Mario and Mario are still Mario. Considering how Robin uses Nosferatu and Zelda uses a Toon Zelda power (Phantom), characters aren't limited to just their own moveset; thus it wouldn't be out of place for Mario to gain a Paper Mario move or for Captain Toad to use Toad's abilities (I think you said in your Toad analysis that you don't think Sakurai would see CT as like a representative for all Toads and use their abilities? might have been someone else though, not sure).

You state how Rosalina and Bowser Jr. had major roles that allowed them to get in, but Toad appeared in both of their roles. NSMB with Bowser Jr.? Toad was playable. Galaxy was where CT was introduced, and while he didn't play a major role, Galaxy (and 3DW if you wanna count it, though Toad's there too and it was in development when Smash was so I think when Rosa was considered she only had Galaxy, not sure though don't quote me LOL) was Rosalina's only major role before she got in Smash. Clearly, with Toad's prior history with Mario and his new spinoff series, he obviously has/had more than her. I really don't see what kind of major roles Rosalina got as aside from Galaxy and 3DW she didn't have much.

Now, how does this all relate to Bandana Dee? Dee is also part of a species and has been a rising star for his series. However, Dee still has a few more steps to go to be on par with the significance of Toads in Mario.

From roster analysis OP:

"But now, Bandanna Dee has been increasing in importance, with his playable role in Kirby: Rainbow Curse and a number of smaller roles in Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, and Battle Royale."

From Toad post:

"Because his spinoff series has yet to gain critical and/or massive sales success, I think Sakurai will reject Captain Toad for playability."

I find it hypocritical that you count Toad's series as a negative for him, as compared to the other spinoff series (Wario, Yoshi, DK) it hasn't sold as much (even though it was on a handicapped console and still managed 1 mil), but you state that Dee has been increasing in importance with his role in Rainbow Curse (a spinoff game) and his roles in TD and Robobot (in which Dee is essentially what CT is in Odyssey, yet you knock Toad in your analysis post and call it "minor". Now in Battle Royale I'm looking it up and Dee is actually pretty important there, but essentially Dee really only has Return to Dreamland, Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale. Three major appearances.

Compare that to Toad's 30+ years of history with Blue Toad's various playable roles in Mario Bros. 2, NSMB Wii (U), and Super Mario 3D World, and also CT in 3D World and Treasure Tracker, Toad's appearances in spinoff games (akin to Rainbow Curse), how Toad not only has CT as a defined person but Toadette (who managed to get into Super Mario Run and has a pretty major role there imo) and Toadsworth as well, and Toads are a really fleshed out species of Mario who are quickly gaining importance, enough importance to be considered for this upcoming Smash.

Here's two extra points that don't really fit in but I have a response to them, these are all from your post in the RTC thread
"Isabelle, in particular, had appeared playable in Mario Kart 8 and as a Mii costume in Smash 4 likely due to promotional push. Does Captain Toad get similar treatment? Not to the extent of Isabelle, which indicates to me that Nintendo nor Sakurai have the intention of seriously pushing Captain Toad for marketing future Mario games and adding him in Smash 4 or Smash Switch."

Well Toad is already in Mario Kart 8 and there's not any other crossover he could hop in akin to Isabelle, and Toad did get a Mii costume in Smash 4, and his own spinoff game which paints to me that he is on the same level on Isabelle. Especially since for one of AC's spinoffs, Happy Home Designer, Isabelle took a back seat in importance to their new girl Lottie.

"If Waluigi could not make into battle with his notable lack of marketing push (like Rosalina) and having his spinoffs despite having an EXTREMELY likable personality and charisma, no other Mario character will come to join Smash either. Neither will Captain Toad for this Smash installment for the Switch."

There's a key difference between Waluigi and Toad though. Toad has had numerous mainline and spinoff appearances/playable roles and he even has his own game (games if you want to count Wario's Woods). Waluigi only has his spinoff appearances. So while Kart is a huge hit, Toad also appears in those spinoff games. So Toad essentially has what Waluigi has and more.

But overall while I disagree with your analysis of Toad and Dee, they're both very well made and bring up developed, fleshed out points that cannot be argued. These are just my two cents that I have been holding onto for a while :laugh:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Most of what I've been thinking of all week but didn't feel like writing out. Thank you good sir. As fun as they were, Gematsu, ESRB, and the Mewtwo Patch really spoiled the Smash community. A lot of these rumors I see as nothing more than click-bait.

That said, if you're coming up with a rumor please also include some stages, modes, or new features. If you're getting a behind-the-scenes look at something I doubt the company showing it to you will want you to only focus on a single image of a CSS or a single paragraph of a Press Release.
I think we're on the same wavelength. In recent times there has been this cult of personality that has built up around "leakers." They use their "inside info" to garner attention for themselves (and in Laura's case, money). In fact, I'd say becoming a "leaker" was one of the fastest ways to get noticed. Remember Marcus. The guy with the Falco avatar. He built this personna of having inside info, but in reality, he knew nothing and would fall for fake information. But its an easy way to get e-famous. Another trick I've started noticing is they'll "LEAK" when info will be announced. I beleive what is going on is some journalist know about events because they have to go report on it. The Pokemon announcement meant western journalist had to fly to Japan. This couldn't be done in a day, so they were given advanced notice. This is how Emily Rogers knew when Pokemon news was coming our; the tickets were already booked. They use this for easy credibility since its not a big deal if that kind of information gets out. It also helps cover for their big ****ups.

Also, I agree with you about other content besides characters. I know ChaosZero had extra details. I believe the one for Smash 4 did too (namely colors for veterans). It is odd that these guys know characters and nothing else. But I don't believe either of the big rumors coming out.

Lastly, doing more research on Vergeben, I have more reason to believe this is fake. The SC community doesn't seem to be a big fan of him as he's gotten a lot wrong. I think this Reddit comment put it best.
To be fair, he may have had a bunch of legitimate leaks once for a bunch of games. Specifically for Soul Calibur, the fact the game existed, certain (obvious) roster characters returning, and the inclusion of a new, twinblade wielding character (Grøh).

But after these initial leaks the well dried up, his source was fired or cut off contact. Outside of those few notes, he's been wrong about basically everything else Soul Calibur related. His most recent claims were the most outlandish, implying the community could force Project Soul to make changes if they spoke loud enough, in some crude attempt to rally the fans to some kind of personal army.

Its to the point now where his accurate "leaks" are smaller than his inaccurate claims.
The thread is worth a look. He's not trusted within the Soul Caliber community so we should be skeptical with this.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Bandana Dee debuted as an opponent in Kirby Super Star's Megaton Punch, which was a Sakurai game. However, he made his first appearance as an assistant to Dedede in Kirby Super Star Ultra (a remake) and his first appearance as a spear user was in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which are non-Sakurai games.

So Bandana Dee is technically a Sakurai character, but all of his defining attributes were developed in non-Sakurai games. Sakurai hasn't really touched Kirby (outside of Smash) since the early 2000's.

This is kinda how I feel about Zelda. I know everyone wants a new Zelda character, but Zelda is already represented by plenty of stages, assist trophies, and items, which I think is better for that specific franchise. The tools, locations, and supporting cast always mattered more to me than the Link, Zelda, Ganondorf dynamic, IMO.

Please be gentle everyone.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Wasn't an epic yarn stage planned but then they did the yoshi stage instead? Also kirby's final smash.

I don't think he has an issue.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
World War I looms in the distance, and such a bloodshed will surely herald the return of the lord of darkness

This game is actually teh debut of Famed composer Michiru Yamane, so I reallly REALLY siggest you guys give it a try :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom