• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I would be so sad if they took out my boy again.
If they ever touch Roy and remove him again, Sakurai is going to get a CRITICAL HIT! from Crusher

Would you like to see Micaiah in Smash?

Please, these last days had being a bit lonely in the thread.
I would ****ing gladly take Micaiah over certain characters at this point

He absolutely could add new things. The issue was that Robin could just add more.
Exactly what would that be...another blue haired swordsman? Robin's character, story, and class is far more unique than Chrom's anyway

As much as I love Awakening, they need to stop over representing that series and move onto a series that deserves some love and representation

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I discovered an interesting tidbit regarding Rex and Pyra's character designer, Saito Masatsugu.

It was back in February 2015 that he first heard about plans for Xenoblade Chronicles. First, he began by reading the story written by Tetsuya Takahashi, in order to get a good grasp of the characters. After that, he took part in the screenwritting conferences with Yuichiro Takeda, Kazuho Hyoudou, which helped him further his understanding of the characters and what they should look like.
Source

It appears that Rex and Pyra's designs were finalized sometime around mid to late 2015, which would be before the heavily-speculated time period of Smash Switch's project plan. However, I'm not an artist. I have no idea how long it takes for an artist to make finalized designs for several main characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exactly what would that be...another blue haired swordsman? Robin's character, story, and class is far more unique than Chrom's anyway

As much as I love Awakening, they need to stop over representing that series and move onto a series that deserves some love and representation
Now I'm just going to say before someone inevitably lists off their fan-moveset for Chrom, every character can add new things new moves. That's why they're special snowflake protagonists.

my personal issue with Chrom is that
1. I am tired of Fateswakening pandering and adding the THREE tritagonists of ONE Fire Emblem I personally don't like and already think is oversaturated would make me roll my eyes out of my sockets.
2. Chrom's a completely vapid character, even falling below the most generic and uninteresting of Fire Emblem lords. Same goes for his daughter, but she's a copy-paste clone so that makes it slightly better.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The reason you guys haven't seen the Toad support much is because the Toad Brigade has been waiting since Melee. Waiting and watching.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Ugh...reposting for the new page.

I discovered an interesting tidbit regarding Rex and Pyra's character designer, Saito Masatsugu.

It was back in February 2015 that he first heard about plans for Xenoblade Chronicles. First, he began by reading the story written by Tetsuya Takahashi, in order to get a good grasp of the characters. After that, he took part in the screenwritting conferences with Yuichiro Takeda, Kazuho Hyoudou, which helped him further his understanding of the characters and what they should look like.
Source

It appears that Rex and Pyra's designs were finalized sometime around mid to late 2015, which would be before the heavily-speculated time period of Smash Switch's project plan. However, I'm not an artist. I have no idea how long it takes for an artist to make finalized designs for several main characters.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Source

It makes sense that the designs of the main characters would be one of the first things finalised during the early stages of development for a video game. I also wouldn't be surprised if Spring Man's design was one of the first ARMS characters finalised during the early stages of development for that game as well.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Did you guys watch Relax Alax's new video?

I agree with everything he said, except that for me the character choices were not THAT good lol.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
It makes sense that the designs of the main characters would be one of the first things finalised during the early stages of development for a video game. I also wouldn't be surprised if Spring Man's design was one of the first ARMS characters finalised during the early stages of development for that game as well.
The designs don’t even need to be finalized. Wasn’t greninja being designed when they only had concept art?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I've seen Toad support since before Brawl, but I never really understood it because the Toad species, in general, was always really underwhelming to me. The only Toad truly worth my time was this fellow here:

I'll happily take Toad if Toad is actually The Master. He's an old man, martial artist Toad that turns Super Saiyan. Literally the coolest thing that has ever spawned from the Toad species.
I never thought that I'd want a Toad, much less a paper Toad, but having an old sensei with the Smash equivalent to an install super would be great.
Maybe they didn't want to acknowledge it because Project-M had it, the mode isn't a extremely original idea or anything, but the reason Sakurai didn't include a hazard toggle is seemingly because Playstation All-Stars had it first? Not sure if that's the reasoning but it sounds like that to me, here's the quote. "You can still manage the appearance of items, but you cannot disable the damage caused by the stages. If we propose such an option, it might as well be PlayStation all-stars!"
It makes me sad that he'll turn his nose up to perfectly good and reasonable mechanics to avoid looking unoriginal. I get it with PM, but with All-Stars... that game is a joke, the fact that it used a generic and easy-to-implement feature first shouldn't mean anything.
Also, with PM he could justify doing it first because he technically did in SSE.
Did you guys watch Relax Alax's new video?

I agree with everything he said, except that for me the character choices were not THAT good lol.
That guy doesn't deserve to be promoted. He's made it clear that he'll happily use the attention he gets to **** with people, and it's not like he's providing any service that's particularly special in the meantime.

Troykv

Smash Master
That guy doesn't deserve to be promoted. He's made it clear that he'll happily use the attention he gets to **** with people, and it's not like he's providing any service that's particularly special in the meantime.
Why did you need to say that? It's about the joke with the "leak"?

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
If GOTY was decided by titles alone, I'd say we'd have a winner, with Yoshi's Flipping Island being the honorable runner-up.
No matter how many times I hear it, I will always laugh at Yoshi's Flipping Island. One of the greatest titles--fake or not--I've ever heard.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ugh...reposting for the new page.

Source

FINALLY! A CONCRETE SOURCE ABOUT WHEN REX/PYRA'S DESIGNS WERE FINALIZED!

NOW I FEEL EVEN MORE SURE ABOUT REX/PYRA GETTING IN!

(Thank you for your research...)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So here's a question.

All Star Mode.

What do you think about it?
Did someone say 70+ characters in an All-Star mode?

Here's how I'm gonna feel about entering every match like the Royal Rumble with new fighters showing up

In other words

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
That is mean; if that is the case, only the people that would personally help you deserve your attention.
I'm confused as to why you'd take that stance towards him. I respect that mindset in general, but I have no obligation, moral or otherwise, to enable the cult of personality of someone who misuses it at the expense of other people. He doesn't need to do anything for me, he just needs to be less of a jerk.
Oh, and since you asked earlier but I lost track of the original post, I'm in favor of Micaiah. Granted, Lyndis should absolutely come first and there shouldn't be 8 FE characters, but she's a reasonable second pick.
What? What did Alax say? That "P" thing?

Because that's nothing and I still think his videos are very funny and well made.
The part preceding that where he pretended to have insider information to rile people up. Art doesn't need to be sullied by the artist, but that also doesn't change the fact that you're enabling him.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm confused as to why you'd take that stance towards him. I respect that mindset in general, but I have no obligation, moral or otherwise, to enable the cult of personality of someone who misuses it at the expense of other people. He doesn't need to do anything for me, he just needs to be less of a jerk.
Oh, and since you asked earlier but I lost track of the original post, I'm in favor of Micaiah. Granted, Lyndis should absolutely come first and there shouldn't be 8 FE characters, but she's a reasonable second pick.

The part preceding that where he pretended to have insider information to rile people up. Art doesn't need to be sullied by the artist, but that also doesn't change the fact that you're enabling him.
I don't believe in cult of personality, that is toxic mentality My opinions about this subject goes beyond even usual "people" but this isn't the kind of place to talk about religion, but I dislike the idea of dismissing someone for doing some jokes.

Oh, and thanks for answering, I'm glad you actually like Micaiah :D.

I'm okay with Lyn, I just hope if she actually release, that she is able to stand in her own (and maybe using a bow, that would be fun).

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

FINALLY! A CONCRETE SOURCE ABOUT WHEN REX/PYRA'S DESIGNS WERE FINALIZED!

NOW I FEEL EVEN MORE SURE ABOUT REX/PYRA GETTING IN!

(Thank you for your research...)
Well, we still don't know when their designs were finalized. All we know is that Masatsugu first heard of the project in February 2015.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Because of they way they're doing it. If they shorten how many per round, it won't be a big deal. Even 5 per round isn't that bad.

Other things that can be done is allowing customs for healing, more hearts, possibly 2 stocks, etc. It's not too difficult to balance out.
eh...maybe. Having done it on 3DS AND Wii U with every character gives you nightmares

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Ok so Alax's point about singleplayer modes not being fulfilling and a lot of 4's roster being unlocked from the start. I for one would rather the roster not being locked at all, but how do you guys feel about unlockable skins to give singleplayer some meaning again?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, we still don't know when their designs were finalized. All we know is that Masatsugu first heard of the project in February 2015.
I think it is safe to estimate that they could have been finalized around late 2015 to early 2016 for Sakurai to get a good in-depth look on the characters and grasp an understanding on what they do. I doubt they would have been finalized much later in my perspective.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually I've thought of something.

For discussion's sake, let's separate third party characters into two main categories.

Gaming Icon and Nintendo Fan Favorite

These are the two types of third parties I can see make it in. I'm confident that no one else will.

So without further ado, here's my list.

Gaming Icon
:4sonic:
:snake:
:4megaman:
:4pacman:
:4ryu:
:4cloud:
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
:4bayonetta:
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

What others could we add to the list?

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Well per the Special Edition's artbook, we actually do know that the XC2 party's concept art, with all their angles and facial expressions, were finalised at the latest within the period between May and September 2016, with all meaningful design adjustments likely happening before then, because that's the range of dates they're signed off with. This puts Rex & Pyra in a prime position for being considered for Smash as their concept art was almost certainly 100% complete in advance of the roster being finalised.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

For discussion's sake, let's separate third party characters into two main categories.

These are the two types of third parties I can see make it in. I'm confident that no one else will.

Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

Add Layton to Nintendo Fan Favorites.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of single player, I'd personally like game modes to scale in length with difficulty.

So if you want to blaze through a character's classic mode (for trophies or to get them out of the way) in a hurry, you can pay to put it to super easy. It would make that option useful for once.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Didn't the Toad Brigade originate in Super Mario Galaxy?

That's like a 6-year difference...:chuckle:
Technically they originated in Super Mario Sunshine. They just didn't call themselves the "Toad Brigade" nor made uniforms at the time. That's what I call "character development".

Toad Brigade in Super Mario Sunshine

Toad Brigade in Super Mario Galaxy

Toad Brigade in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker + Super Mario Odyssey

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

Sora is definitely a gaming Icons. Just look at the reaction KHIII get every time it appears, even at E3 along the fact that Sora appearing once in the Disneyland Tokyo parade (Yes, I was actually surprised by that fact)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lyndis and Celica before all other FE characters
Did someone say 70+ characters in an All-Star mode?

Here's how I'm gonna feel about entering every match like the Royal Rumble with new fighters showing up

In other words

I’d eliminate myself once I start playing as characters I can’t/don’t play (:4bayonetta:)

Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

Qbert and Scorpion/Sub Zero for gaming icons

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice

Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

Geno can absolutely go in fan favourites, Rayman in icons. Monster Hunter could perhaps stand to be in both but I'm not too sure, I've yet to pick up one of the games despite wanting to for years and I'm unsure of where the fanbase really lies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

Let's see, if we take into account that Microsoft's not making games anymore (unless E3 proves otherwise)

Icons: Master Chief, Marcus Fenix
Favourites: Battletoads

Additionally of existing series

Icons: Chun-li, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, SEPHIROTH, Ms. Pac-Man
Favorites: Proto Man, Zero, M. Bison, Tifa, Raiden

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

Rayman, Scorpion, Doomguy and Master Chief definitely belong on the list of icons, whereas for fan favs, some good adds would be Geno, Layton, and Travis Touchdown.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Gaming Icon
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Steve
Lara Croft
Jill Valentine
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro

Nintendo Fan Favorite
Banjo and Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Phoenix Wright

More
Clementine, Dante, and Sora

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Lloyd Irving for fan favorites seeing as he was in Super Smash Flash and various Namco rep polls post Pac-Man he's in had him on top or near it.

Heihachi as well.

KOS-MOS as well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom