• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here’s a random topic; what examples can you think of where the definitive character of a series is NOT the main character?

Like...I think Mortal Kombat was NOT initially pushing Scorpion as the “main character,” but he’s the face now. I also think of Morrigan and Darkstalkers, and Sans and Undertale.
Solaire and Dark Souls

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Here’s a random topic; what examples can you think of where the definitive character of a series is NOT the main character?

Like...I think Mortal Kombat was NOT initially pushing Scorpion as the “main character,” but he’s the face now. I also think of Morrigan and Darkstalkers, and Sans and Undertale.
Big Daddy and Bioshock?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

The batmobile in Arkham Knight :secretkpop:

I truly hate that **** and how we had to end the Arkham Series on Batmobile simulator feat Batman.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
There's no point in arguing against it.

3rd party characters are the ones who generate the most hype and also increase significantly the sales for Smash nowadays, like it or not.
The new playable character that will bring in the most newcomers for Smash on Switch is a 1st party character. And I'm confident in saying that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Jack Frost and Atlas.

I guess the Chocobo is kinda Final Fantasy's mascot, too?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Another example is Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Jago(and B. Orchid) are the main characters, but Fulgore is the face of the series, not taking too long to gain traction. A popular design helps too.

And an edit thanks to what Opo said; Slime from Dragon Quest.
I would love to have a Killer Instinct character and a Dragon Quest character in Smash someday. Both third-party franchises have history with Nintendo.... and I think Killer Instinct used to be a first-party franchise 20 years ago and Dragon Quest have many games on Nintendo consoles since the NES days. Fulgore and Slime would be interesting.

That's what I am looking for... third-party characters with history as close as possible with Nintendo that they are honorary Nintendo characters. That's what I mean by "Nintendo is the main focus of Smash". I am not looking for the likes of Tracer from Overwatch or even Master Chief from Halo.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

The Felynes and Rathalos (and Rathian) from Monster Hunter, the Hunter still gets notable billing such as in MvCI, but when it comes to advertising you're very likely to see either of those two represented in some way over the avatar character.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

I think it's funny how we're all missing the obvious one in Pikachu and the Pokemon series.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Guys. Less than a week until conferences begin and less than 10 days before we feast our eyes on a new Smash game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Ed Boom has stated how Scorpion is his favorite, so maybe him becoming the face was for the better

Yeah, it still does not exist.

I used Wikipedia in spanish, it says literally the same thing you posted, but in a second paragraph it says it's not official.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desarrollador_de_segunda

I even found this tweet made by Insomniac Games (a company that is in the paragraph you posted) and they say it does not exist.

I don't even know why I asked tbh, I was like 90% sure it did not exist lol.
What they said
But...
Even insomniac is telling you the definition in that same post...
It depends on what you mean by "exists." It's a thing people say that is recognized as having a specific meaning, so in that regard it "exists" despite not being rooted in the same area as first and third party. It's a colloquialism. Language is neat like that.
so...yeah

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The new playable character that will bring in the most newcomers for Smash on Switch is a 1st party character. And I'm confident in saying that.
Oh?

Do tell us who this character is.

Inkling is the only one that even comes close to that, and even then Splatoon and Smash Bros have a lot of shared fans. Squidboards exists for a reason.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Videos like this make me confused as to why people don't want Waluigi in Smash Switch.

Oh?

Inkling is the only one that even comes close to that, and even then Splatoon and Smash Bros have a lot of shared fans. Squidboards exists for a reason.
Ridley.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As much as I want Ridley (he's my most wanted), the answer there is no.

He'd generate hype for sure but he's not the kind of character that would bring a lot of people to Smash.

Most Metroid fans who would be interested in Smash, already play Smash due to all the Metroid content we've had since the series' beginning. :4samus::4zss:

M_Patch

Smash Rookie
Ridley is only a hype pick for the community that is already involved with Smash. (Because of the history of Smash itself and his long-standing absence)
People who have never played Smash are not sitting out waiting for Ridley.

Like Swampasaur said, Inklings might fit the bill for the first party newcomer to attract some new players to the series.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace

3rd party characters are the ones who generate the most hype and also increase significantly the sales for Smash nowadays, like it or not.
Yeah. It was more than 10 years ago now, so its easy to forget, but it was a big deal when Snake was announced for Brawl, and the internet basically melted down when Sonic showed up a year later. None of the Nintendo newcomers generated the hype and publicity those two did.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
For the topic of first party characters that can out-do the third parties, how about Eevee? That one's obscenely popular in mainstream crowds, is plausible and isn't a third party character.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Oh?

It...it was the Inklings. Wasn't it obvious?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like to clarify...

When we are talking about characters that would bring in a lot of people to Smash, we mean certain types of new series.

Series that...

A) Have large fanbases
B) Are not already major parts of Smash

Splatoon is the only first party IP that fits those qualifiers.

ARMS if I'm feeling generous.

It...it was the Inklings. Wasn't it obvious?
No.

No it wasn't.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Predictions for every single reveal if Heroes vs Villain Leak is Real

e3
:
Ice Climbers

1. Simon Belmont
2. Ridley
3. K. Rool
4. Medusa
5. Mimikyu

Box Art - Mario, Link, DK, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus and Pit on the left. Bowser, Ganondorf, King K. Rool, Mimkyu, Dedede, Ridley and Medusa are on the right. Each character facing their opposing their hero/villain

Release date - September

July Video on Smash site like with Robin and Lucina:
6. Elma

August Nintendo direct:
7. Geno & Mallow (team)

September Smash Direct:
Snake
8. Porky Minch (in spider mech)
9. Sora

Hidden:
Wolf
10. Takamaru
11. Chorus Kids
12. Dixie Kong
13. Samurai Goroh

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Nintendo could add third party characters in Smash to get PS4 and Xbox gamers to buy the Switch. Oh, if only Nintendo would ask Microsoft for permission to add Rare characters in Smash... it would be like a N64 family reunion between Smash brothers (Nintendo) and Smash cousins (Rare).

Banjo-Kazooie
Conker
Fulgore
Joanna Dark
Krystal :awesome:
Rash / Zitz / Pimple (all three Battletoads get in as alternate costumes of each other)
Snake Rattle ‘n’ Roll (Assist Trophy)
Diddy Kong Racing stage

And we would Smash like it is 1999.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm confused as to why you'd take that stance towards him. I respect that mindset in general, but I have no obligation, moral or otherwise, to enable the cult of personality of someone who misuses it at the expense of other people. He doesn't need to do anything for me, he just needs to be less of a jerk.

The part preceding that where he pretended to have insider information to rile people up. Art doesn't need to be sullied by the artist, but that also doesn't change the fact that you're enabling him.

That guy doesn't deserve to be promoted. He's made it clear that he'll happily use the attention he gets to **** with people, and it's not like he's providing any service that's particularly special in the meantime.
As someone who gets to talk with the man on a fairly regular basis I can tell you that Alex is a genuinely nice guy who really cares about his fans; ask anyone in his Patreon Discord and they will tell you the same thing. Even after his Tweets non of us were upset at him, because we saw it for what it was; a harmless joke.

His tweet wasn't meant to be an attention grab, nor did he do it because he wanted to rile people up, it was an experiment. He got tired of seeing leaks about nothing get so much attention from rabid Smash fans, and he wanted to do a test to see just how vague he could be and how far people would take it. He wasn't expecting people to take it as far as they did, because he just said **** that was obviously going to happen (like of course we are going to see characters people want and characters people don't expect, that happens in every Smash game). But he obviously underestimated just how desperate the Smash fanbase can be, I mean people tried to dissect what the 'P' he posted could mean, which just proved to him that Smash fans will make a big deal out of nothing.

If the worst thing you can point to someone doing is that there was one time where they trolled some gullible people by saying obvious things that have happened in every Smash game before will happen again, then maybe they're not that bad of a person, and maybe that's not something worth staying upset about, and maybe you shouldn't make such harsh judgements about someone you don't even know, and hopefully this can be a lesson to people to not believe in **** so easily.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
If Vergeben is right,
Nintendo is allowing Microsoft's characters in the game...

Could it be...?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm not sure what demographic you would aim towards to get people who have never played Smash to start, but this may just be because I don't know anyone who plays games who hasn't played Smash.

The biggest character I could think of who could possibly do this is Steve from Minecraft, but he's not exactly my top pick for a new character.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I would love to see Phoenix Wright in Smash. He has a new game out late this year on Switch
That, combined with the fact that his games only ever come out on Nintendo consoles (if you don't count the iOS ports) makes me feel like he has a pretty damn good chance.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else feel like Cloud's reveal fell on deaf ears?

Like it was huge and everything, but he was announced in a Nintendo presentation for a year-old game.

I feel like Nintendo would want to come out swinging with a major third-party announcement at E3, and possibly make it more than "oh hey you can buy this guy too if you want."

Darkraid

Smash Champion
That, combined with the fact that his games only ever come out on Nintendo consoles (if you don't count the iOS ports) makes me feel like he has a pretty damn good chance.
I freaking love Phoenix Wright. He was one of the big reasons for me getting a DS and 3DS aside from Pokemon.

Would love him getting a side B of Franziska whipping people

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
In just a few minutes where I live we'll be down to the single digits in terms of days 'til E3. How do you guys plan on boosting the wait? I just got Tropical Freeze, so that game will be keeping me busy 'til then, plus I still have to register for my fall semester, try and sign up for a job, and break through my writer's block.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So here's a weird question. Out of the four + DLC finale characters, which is your favourite in terms of being the final character unlocked/added.

64: Ness(he was the hardest to unlock so I chose him as this)
Melee: Mr. Game & Watch
Brawl: Wolf
Base 4: Duck Hunt Duo
4 DLC: Bayonetta

Gotta go with Bayonetta mainly because of the sheer WTF factor and the barriers being even more broken when it comes to 3rd Party characters now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom