• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Very tempted to do this. Think I'll just have to plan on grabbing lunch convinently the same time as the direct.
In all honesty, I almost always request off for E3. However, over this past year my drive to game has significantly decreased up until the Smash 5 reveal, and playing Persona 5 has really revitalized my love for gaming as well, though now I'm concerned no game other than Smash could ever top P5. Anyways, if Smash hadn't been announced pre-E3, I wouldn't be requesting off this year, and then I'd be painfully disappointed that I missed the reveal.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
OoT was literally one of the only Zelda games around the time of Melee with enough material for Sakurai to make a moveset for Zelda. There's not much else he could've used back then, and TP didn't really offer much either.

My argument isn't that Zelda needs to have a huge hodge-podge of moves from various titles. I'm just saying that throwing away the entirety of a timeless moveset, one that's been around since Melee, in exchange for something that only represents a single Zelda game is something I can't get behind.

Having a single new move like Phantom Slash and leaving the rest alone is much more reasonable IMO.
See, it doesn't matter to me that it's been around since Melee. Being around longer doesn't necessarily make it a good thing; see Ganondorf's moveset. In my view, the preservation of the legacy can sometimes hamper potential for something new and possibly better. (And let's be honest, Zelda's kit in Smash has never worked.)

What I'm saying to you is that Zelda's moveset already only represents a single Zelda game. I merely suggest the idea of changing the game that's being represented. Ocarina of Time is no longer the Golden Child of the Zelda series, so why is it still the one that gets the representation? (Also, as of this year, it's 20 years old.)

That being said, I feel the Zelda series has progressed far enough since Ocarina of Time that it might be best to make Zelda's moveset a hodge-podge of references. If anything, it could also bring her closer to the true idea of her canon self. See Hyrule Warriors Zelda: She wielded a rapier (as seen in Twilight Princess), she uses light arrows, she uses light magic of varying effects (including that giant triforce that blasts the ground), and her Focus Spirit mode lets her use a finisher that references the spells from Ocarina of Time, the ones used in Smash.

If a Warriors-styled game could find enough inspiration for a moveset for Zelda that truly represents her, than Sakurai, who we all know oozes with creative ideas, can easily find something to work with that could potentially please everybody.

Also, I find it funny that you say you can't get behind Zelda's moveset being pulled from only a single game, yet that's exactly what you're doing by defending her current moveset, but you're claiming "legacy" as the reason for it not to change. I don't care about the legacy of the character in Smash, I care about that character representing their legacy in their series.

Perhaps Zelda doesn't have to reference BotW exclusively. I think perhaps a hodge-podge (or the Warriors style) treatment might be what Zelda needs. Now don't get me wrong, I don't dislike her moveset. And I definitely won't be upset if it stayed. (Even if it was BotW Zelda whom used the moves, it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not).

I'm just suggesting being open to the idea of something new happening. Something different. If Zelda's moves were to change, you not supporting the change doesn't make it any less the nature of reality.

If her moves stay the same, then all is well with the world. But if they don't stay the same, then all is still well with the world. I just want you to be ready for the possibility. That being said, I am an advocate for newer moves because I like new things. Watching Link get new stuff in Sm4sh made me giddy. (That dash attack and down air meteor, though). And I'd love for a decent portion of the cast to get something new in anyway or form.

Let's give Jigglypuff some fairy type moves, let's give Ganondorf a brand new moveset, if Cloud can have a sword beam why can't Ike?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So here's a thing...

What kind of modes do you want to see introduced in this Smash? What kind of modes would you do and how would you implement them?

For me, I thought of an RPG Mode of sorts. In it you would choose a handful of characters (maybe 3) and you would roam in an overworld of sorts (featuring many different locations based off Nintendo series) and you level up and gain party members. I haven't thought it out clearly enough so I might update when I think of more.

Another idea I had was for a Survival Mode and a Time Attack similar to most fighting games. Crazy Orders was sort of like that I guess but I want a legit version of those 2 modes in the game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
See, it doesn't matter to me that it's been around since Melee. Being around longer doesn't necessarily make it a good thing; see Ganondorf's moveset. In my view, the preservation of the legacy can sometimes hamper potential for something new and possibly better. (And let's be honest, Zelda's kit in Smash has never worked.)

What I'm saying to you is that Zelda's moveset already only represents a single Zelda game. I merely suggest the idea of changing the game that's being represented. Ocarina of Time is no longer the Golden Child of the Zelda series, so why is it still the one that gets the representation? (Also, as of this year, it's 20 years old.)

That being said, I feel the Zelda series has progressed far enough since Ocarina of Time that it might be best to make Zelda's moveset a hodge-podge of references. If anything, it could also bring her closer to the true idea of her canon self. See Hyrule Warriors Zelda: She wielded a rapier (as seen in Twilight Princess), she uses light arrows, she uses light magic of varying effects (including that giant triforce that blasts the ground), and her Focus Spirit mode lets her use a finisher that references the spells from Ocarina of Time, the ones used in Smash.

If a Warriors-styled game could find enough inspiration for a moveset for Zelda that truly represents her, than Sakurai, who we all know oozes with creative ideas, can easily find something to work with that could potentially please everybody.

Also, I find it funny that you say you can't get behind Zelda's moveset being pulled from only a single game, yet that's exactly what you're doing by defending her current moveset, but you're claiming "legacy" as the reason for it not to change. I don't care about the legacy of the character in Smash, I care about that character representing their legacy in their series.

Perhaps Zelda doesn't have to reference BotW exclusively. I think perhaps a hodge-podge (or the Warriors style) treatment might be what Zelda needs. Now don't get me wrong, I don't dislike her moveset. And I definitely won't be upset if it stayed. (Even if it was BotW Zelda whom used the moves, it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not).

I'm just suggesting being open to the idea of something new happening. Something different. If Zelda's moves were to change, you not supporting the change doesn't make it any less the nature of reality.

If her moves stay the same, then all is well with the world. But if they don't stay the same, then all is still well with the world. I just want you to be ready for the possibility. That being said, I am an advocate for newer moves because I like new things. Watching Link get new stuff in Sm4sh made me giddy. (That dash attack and down air meteor, though). And I'd love for a decent portion of the cast to get something new in anyway or form.

Let's give Jigglypuff some fairy type moves, let's give Ganondorf a brand new moveset, if Cloud can have a sword beam why can't Ike?
I'll sum up how I feel with this sentence.

I've gotten used to Zelda the way she is, and I really don't want to see her completely change just because a new game came out.

I don't care about Jigglypuff getting a bunch of new Fairy type moves or the lame representation of Captaindorf. The flawed moveset they have now is what I grew up with, and while they're far from being represented the way they should, they've grown on me. I honestly couldn't imagine them any other way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A lot of characters already got some new specials in the last game: Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Olimar, Charizard, Pit etc. After some point, you can add/rework moves for half of the cast, and it's just impractical since a lot of people are more interested in newcomers and don't always welcome the changes to the characters they like to play.

And while I like more changes to Ganondorf (a new moveset is a bit much), why change the other characters for the sake of changing? It sounds unnecessary.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

The big difference you aren't seeing is that the champions are in ONE game. Representing them would represent that one game. The Goddesses have been referenced in at least 4+ Zelda titles, even if the "moves" themselves have only been in OoT. They also created the Triforce and Hyrule, so they are linked to every game and every event in a major way. Not only that, but Zelda's link to the Goddesses has only gotten stronger and stronger with each new title, whereas her link with the Guardians is currently not even remotely as cemented.

All this guardians talk is the same as with every new game that comes out, people just get too attached to the shiny new thing and forget about it as soon as a new shiny thing rolls around the corner, but they are focused that their new shiny thing is a thing they "truly love and appreciate". The guardians to me aren't even up to par to other one-time Zelda characters imo, it's just that BotW itself was a much more popular and well received game.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them as a move or an AT, what annoys me is people saying they'd be ok with getting all 4 guardians as playable characters (even just one of them is too much).

Last edited:

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I've officially requested off work for Nintendo's E3 digital event and the tournament, as well as the day after. Just over 5 weeks left...
I’ve requested E3 off the past few years. My birthday is the 14th of June so it kills two birds with one stone!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The big difference you aren't seeing is that the champions are in ONE game. Representing them would represent that one game. The Goddesses have been referenced in at least 4+ Zelda titles, even if the "moves" themselves have only been in OoT. They also created the Triforce and Hyrule, so they are linked to every game and every event in a major way. Not only that, but Zelda's link to the Goddesses has only gotten stronger and stronger with each new title, whereas her link with the Guardians is currently not even remotely as cemented.

All this guardians talk is the same as with every new game that comes out, people just get too attached to the shiny new thing and forget about it as soon as a new shiny thing rolls around the corner, but they are focused that their new shiny thing is a thing they "truly love and appreciate". The guardians to me aren't even up to par to other one-time Zelda characters imo, it's just that BotW itself was a much more popular and well received game.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them as a move or an AT, what annoys me is people saying they'd be ok with getting all 4 guardians as playable characters (even just one of them is too much).
Agree with the first part, disagree with the second part.

Yes, the Champions will probably be forgotten by the time the next Zelda game comes out, but are they really any different than a new Pokémon like Decidueye? People have been clamoring for that bird to get in Smash, but the second Gen 8 comes out, I guarantee you everyone will flock to a different Pokémon and leave Decidueye in the dust.

Should people stop supporting Decidueye just because he's a "flavor of the month" character?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I've gotten used to Zelda the way she is, and I really don't want to see her completely change just because a new game came out.

I don't care about Jigglypuff getting a bunch of new Fairy type moves or the lame representation of Captaindorf. The flawed moveset they have now is what I grew up with, and while they're far from being represented the way they should, they've grown on me. I honestly couldn't imagine them any other way.
I think many will agree with me, especially out of those of us who want to see Zelda changes. We want Zelda to change so she doesn't suck, we don't want her to change just because there was a new game. If they can retain her moveset and make it not suck, then that's perfect. They could do some interesting new things with her moveset, but I don't see that as necessary as long as they make her function better. And that shouldn't be too much to ask, honestly. Reduce her ludicrous knockback power but give her less lag on her moves and a little extra combo potential. Right now she just lands a stray hit here and there that happens to do a million damage. It's frustrating to play as her and struggle to land attacks, but its also frustrating to play against her and die super early to a stray lightning kick. There's a way to make her more functional while staying true to the way she's always generally functioned in Smash.

Side note, I wish they'd change either her forward air or back air bc she doesn't need two lightning kicks :p

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
See Hyrule Warriors Zelda
Warriors should not be used as a reference for anything. It's carefully calculated in terms of pandering fanservice and careless in absolutely everything else. If Smash was designed like HW, every character would be a mess of sweeping motions, special effects and explosions stamped with miscellaneous iconography from its series. That would make a lot of people happy and sell pretty well, at least at first, but it wouldn't be even remotely interesting as a game. It's not conducive to cohesive characters with meaningful movesets, it's just hammerspace and "hey, I saw that before!" A character's design should have who that character is as one of its driving elements, if you reduce it to a grab bag of things from the series or incarnations of the same individual that are meaningfully different from each other, you've replaced the character with iconography.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Warriors should not be used as a reference for anything. It's carefully calculated in terms of pandering fanservice and careless in absolutely everything else. If Smash was designed like HW, every character would be a mess of sweeping motions, special effects and explosions stamped with miscellaneous iconography from its series. That would make a lot of people happy and sell pretty well, at least at first, but it wouldn't be even remotely interesting as a game. It's not conducive to cohesive characters with meaningful movesets, it's just hammerspace and "hey, I saw that before!" A character's design should have who that character is as one of its driving elements, if you reduce it to a grab bag of things from the series or incarnations of the same individual that are meaningfully different from each other, you've replaced the character with iconography.
Couldn't agree more. Also it doesn't have a lot of things Smash have. How characters move, jump, fall, their weight and control feels like that character. It's something that often overlooked in favor of how good are they or how much direct references their moveset includes.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I do think Warriors has a place in Smash, but I don' think that place is connected to canonical Zelda characters. Warriors could have its own original character (Lana, Linkle come to mind), trophies, and/or music on the different Zelda stages. However I really don't think this non-canon universe should alter the way any of the LoZ mainstays are portrayed in Smash.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Agree with the first part, disagree with the second part.

Yes, the Champions will probably be forgotten by the time the next Zelda game comes out, but are they really any different than a new Pokémon like Decidueye? People have been clamoring for that bird to get in Smash, but the second Gen 8 comes out, I guarantee you everyone will flock to a different Pokémon and leave Decidueye in the dust.

Should people stop supporting Decidueye just because he's a "flavor of the month" character?
I guarantee you that Decidueye will appear in most Pokemon games from now on and be programmed into every single one of them from now until the future. I also guarantee that Rowlett will appear every once in a while in the anime, movies and promotion material.

Also, Pokemon's whole franchise is based off of that. Whereas Zelda is a completely different franchise with completely different rules. Your argument is not coherent, you're comparing 2 completely different things in 2 very different ways.

A correct example would be me being annoyed at people claiming that characters like Mewtwo, Zard, Ivy and Squirtle shouldn't return because Zoroark should be made into a playable character first, which was a thing that happened during Smash 4 speculation. That is a similar example to the Guardians. As you can see it makes no sense.

Greninja was weird at first but his prominence in the games and anime make it very much deserved. He was made very distinctly special, rising him above all the other "flavor of the months" into actual historic value.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm still baffled that people think that Sakurai went out of his way to discuss Cloud for a one time deal DLC game on a dying console when he probably knew that the switch was coming and PROBABLY already disscussing Smash Switch.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm still baffled that people think that Sakurai went out of his way to discuss Cloud for a one time deal DLC game on a dying console when he probably knew that the switch was coming and PROBABLY already disscussing Smash Switch.
I would personally be shocked if Cloud wasn't in Smash Switch because of these reasons. Why on Earth would they not work out a contract for both games when Sakurai was this close to starting development on the Switch title?

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
So transforming characters have been brought up as potential gimmicks for some of my most wanted newcomers. I really can't stand the idea of transformations coming back, but I have a few ideas on what to do with them instead.

Since we are on the discussion of transformations where do we think the limit of transformations are? So Sakurai seems to be against full character transformations (although that could change) but is ok with stance changes as we've seen with Shulk. What about something in the middle such as a Moveset change? I've seen a lot of support for Elma and one aspect of that character is the ability to swap from sword fighting to long ranged fighting.

Does anyone think a transformation mechanic where the Moveset changes but not the character or characters stats (basically reverse Shulk) is possible?
Elma isn't really a character who should have 2 whole movesets in my opinion, simply because in X she doesn't change art pallete when swapping weapons. My personal vision of her as a character would be like 1.5 movesets, using variation moves to integrate her moves better. Her Specials, Smashes and Throws (except Down) each use 1 of her 2 weapons and swap the one she's wielding to what the current move is using(with an even split between the two), her Down Tilt and NAir are nondamaging weapon changes and her Jab, Down Throw plus remaining Tilts and Aerials have variations depending on her active weapon. Variations are essentially like Bayonetta's moves with the corresponding Bullet Arts, but split in two. What I mean by this is that for example, Forward Tilt is a right-handed sword swing, or a weaker pistol whip with follow-up shots using essentially the same animation.

Mimikyu is the only character where a transformation makes sense (my opinion obviously).

1. Mimikyu starts off trying to mimic Pikachu, using ghost attacks acting like thunder specials. Yet, he is not as fast or strong as Pikachu and is lighter.

2. After 35 percent (this number is not set in stone) Mimikyu transforms into a busted state. Enraged, Mimikyu ditches its disguise and uses its otherworldly powers. While Mimikyu's movement would be the same, specials and many attacks would change into attacks with a high-power level.

This transformation makes sense because:

• the first form borrows from an already established moveset. Less required learning for the user compared to traditional transformation characters.

• the flavor of the pokemon's ability disguise lends itself to the transformation

• a spectral fairy trying to alter its voice, taunts and moves to copy a living creature is terrifying, funny and depressing

• there is a life lesson involved. "Copy someone and you will just be a lesser version. Be yourself, and be a power no one can fully copy."
The issue I have with this is again to do with how the gimmick actually works ingame: Mimikyu's Disguise isn't an incentive to get hit in Pokemon, it's an insurance policy for when it does happen. I think Disguise should be simply incorporated by giving Mimikyu super armour for its first 15-20% in a stock, followed by a hitbox change to be shorter and slightly wider. That style of forced transformation would make Mimikyu extremely awkward to use, as you need to know two movesets where 1 is bad, and it basically forces you to put yourself in a weaker position to play the character at all, which is even worse than Lucario's Aura mechanic: the furthest you can really go with rewarding getting hit. Also thematically I don't think Mimikyu copying Pikachu to that degree is really fitting: it tries to be like Pikachu to make friends but in a fight doesn't make any pretences about its fighting style, because outside of learning Thunderbolt via TM, it can't. Mimikyu isn't meant to actually be good at disguising itself as Pikachu, so why should it be a clone at any point in its fighting style?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The major gripe I see with transformation characters is that you end up just sticking to one (like ZSS or Sheik). PT tried to fix that but worked out absymally. My thought for a transforming character is to literally make it integrated into their battling style, and not by the manual press of a button. For example, once the character reaches a certain level of damage taken, or reaches a certain level of damage given, they enter some new form of theirs that is stronger. With variations to their entire moveset to make them more viable when they are more susceptible/more able to kill. Let's say you start off as a character whose sole purpose in their move set is to rack up damage. Once a certain amount is reached, they are able to transform into a stronger version of that character and finish them off.

I don't really see this happening. I think it's pretty convoluted and there are a lot of things that can go wrong with it. But if we want a true transforming character that doesn't get tied down to some better character you can manually turn into and stay as, as we've seen with ZSS or Sheik, this could be something that could (with some many alterations to my idea) work.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Also thematically I don't think Mimikyu copying Pikachu to that degree is really fitting: it tries to be like Pikachu to make friends but in a fight doesn't make any pretences about its fighting style, because outside of learning Thunderbolt via TM, it can't. Mimikyu isn't meant to actually be good at disguising itself as Pikachu, so why should it be a clone at any point in its fighting style?
Personally I really like the idea. Obviously Mimikyu wouldn't use Pikachu's actual moves, but giving it a moveset that makes it look like it's trying to copy Pikachu using what it can do is an interesting premise. In terms of basic choreography, reinterpreting Pikachu's attacks through Mimikyu's anatomy and then using ghost/fairy abilities where there's normally electricity would produce a unique character.

Edit: To clarify, I think the moveset change is janky at best, but I don't know what one would really do with Disguise breaking without changing the moveset.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Without Pichu, someone has to play the joke character role. It's a pity that Jigglypuff got that status though.
I guess even without its status as a joke character (even if I don't think it's really officially stated), one character has to be at the bottom of the tier list, there's nothing to do about it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I guarantee you that Decidueye will appear in most Pokemon games from now on and be programmed into every single one of them from now until the future. I also guarantee that Rowlett will appear every once in a while in the anime, movies and promotion material.

Also, Pokemon's whole franchise is based off of that. Whereas Zelda is a completely different franchise with completely different rules. Your argument is not coherent, you're comparing 2 completely different things in 2 very different ways.

A correct example would be me being annoyed at people claiming that characters like Mewtwo, Zard, Ivy and Squirtle shouldn't return because Zoroark should be made into a playable character first, which was a thing that happened during Smash 4 speculation. That is a similar example to the Guardians. As you can see it makes no sense.

Greninja was weird at first but his prominence in the games and anime make it very much deserved. He was made very distinctly special, rising him above all the other "flavor of the months" into actual historic value.
Even though Decidueye will continue to appear in Pokémon games, that doesn't necessarily mean he's guaranteed to continue to get promoted.

As a matter of fact, most starters are kept around for their own Gen and then ditched the second the next set of games come out. Greninja was fortunate enough to be pushed by Game Freak, and I have no doubt that his inclusion in Smash played a huge role in his heavy promotion in merch and the anime. Looking at Decidueye's history so far, it's pretty shaky. We're more than halfway into the lifespan of Gen 7, and has Decidueye (Decidueye himself, not Rowlet) done anything major in the anime or the games besides the normal promotion every starter gets? Aside from getting chosen as a playable character for a spin-off game handled by Namco, not really. At this point, getting in Smash might be the only thing to save him from obscurity. Truth be told, Decidueye is probably more comparable to Zoroark than he is Greninja.

Now by all means, I think people should continue to support Decidueye, regardless of whether or not he ends of being a Pokémon of historical significance. Why? He'd be the first pure archer character, and his moveset would be great. That's the same logic I'm applying to the Champions. Contrary to what fans seem to believe believe, Sakurai never stated that all Zelda characters in Smash have to be recurring and appear in multiple games. If he sees the Champions as the unique characters that I see them as, then I have no doubt that he'd at least consider them for Smash.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Even though Decidueye will continue to appear in Pokémon games, that doesn't necessarily mean he's guaranteed to continue to get promoted.

As a matter of fact, most starters are kept around for their own Gen and then ditched the second the next set of games come out.
I still see Charizard around.

You are discussing something I am not and trying to tie it into justification but somehow you are agreeing with me without even noticing it. The fact that you are making claims like: "most starters...." means you understand that stuff becomes irrelevant a little later down the line, yet somehow you don't realize how that will happen to the Champions.

Characters like Skull Kid or Midna have much more uniqueness going for them than Daruk or Urbosa, why aren't you arguing for them? Heck, Pig Ganon IS a recurring character that has so much unique abilities to take from the whole Zelda franchise.

Btw, I don't really care about Decidueye, I theorize he is one of the most probable "new" Pokemon to make it in, but I don't actually desire him. I am actually extremely happy with the Pokemon representation, I honestly would just like Squirtle back, but I understand if some new Pokemon makes it instead of him.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

I can imagine many other ways for these characters. Just because you've given up on seeing improvements for them doesn't mean I have to. I'm not so rigid that I'm stuck with how the characters have been represented all these years and can't move passed that.

Plus, the entire shtick of Breath of the Wild was breaking conventions. We have a golden opportunity to apply that here.

A lot of characters already got some new specials in the last game: Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Olimar, Charizard, Pit etc. After some point, you can add/rework moves for half of the cast, and it's just impractical since a lot of people are more interested in newcomers and don't always welcome the changes to the characters they like to play.

And while I like more changes to Ganondorf (a new moveset is a bit much), why change the other characters for the sake of changing? It sounds unnecessary.
I never specifically stated Specials. All those characters you listed have some new specials, yes. But what about their normals? Those have remained unchanged. Pit's normals still feel weird, just like they did in Brawl.

Also, Ganondorf deserves a massive overhaul. Had he been introduced in any other game except for Melee, would he really be stuck with the moves he has now? I think not. Treat him with the respect he deserves.

Regarding unnecessary, none of the suggestions I listed were unnecessary. Jigglypuff needs something better than Pound.

Zelda's link to the Goddesses has not gotten stronger. Her connection to the Goddess Hylia has, yes, as all Zelda's inherit their power from Hylia. But not the three Golden Goddesses. In fact, I believe that gap has widened.

The very things that people use to tie Zelda to the three Goddesses are actually meant to tie Link closer to them. Those three spells named after the Goddesses: Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love? All used by Link. While each Goddess has a representative piece of the Triforce: Link is the only character to have had all three pieces on multiple occasions.

The Goddess Hylia even became Zelda only to help push Link. He's the one with the greater connection to the Goddesses.

Heck, Zelda in BotW couldn't even use her divine power without her focus being on Link. Zelda's supposed connection to the Goddesses in the form that people seem to think is Smash Bros-conceived at best.

So, you're saying they have no chances because they're the newest stuff and are only one-shot characters? I'd like you to take this argument to the Midna and Ghirahim supporters and see how well that works for you.

You know what else were the shiny new things that were one-time characters when they were added? Roy, Shulk, Corrin, Ness, Lucas, and Robin. They all got in despite being the flavor of the day. The argument against one-shot characters has been debunked many times over. Am I clamoring for a Champion? Not particularly. Could one easily happen? Don't refute it as impossible because they were only in one game.

That point you made there, "A character's design should have who that character is as one of its driving elements, if you reduce it to a grab bag of things from the series or incarnations of the same individual that are meaningfully different from each other, you've replaced the character with iconography."

You've just described Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch, and Mega Man. A grab-bag assortment of moves for each character used to represent the games they came from and/or are related to in some fashion.

Warriors should used as a great reference. For one, a better way to represent Ganondorf, as Smash can't seem to get that right. Hyrule Warriors demonstrated a non-Smash way of creating movesets for these ago-old characters. Why can't Smash do something similar? I fail to see how excellent animation and effects with references to the character's series is a problem.

Besides the point, I'm talking about how much respect Hyrule Warriors gave the characters it had. I'd just like to see Smash do the same, is all.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The Disguise is literally what makes Mimikyu stand out among the crowd though, and the basis of its entire identity. IMO either Sakurai adds Mimikyu with a moveset based around Disguise, or he won't add Mimikyu at all. It's way too integral to the character.
It is not literally the only thing that makes it stand out.

It is a clear rival to Pikachu and is the only Ghost/Fairy type as of now. They could just make a moveset based on its Ghost/Fairy typing.

I don't care if disguise is implemented. Just please don't make it everything the character is. Not every character has to be Lucario tier with Gimmicks.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You are discussing something I am not and trying to tie it into justification but somehow you are agreeing with me without even noticing it. The fact that you are making claims like: "most starters...." means you understand that stuff becomes irrelevant a little later down the line, yet somehow you don't realize how that will happen to the Champions.

Characters like Skull Kid or Midna have much more uniqueness going for them than Daruk or Urbosa, why aren't you arguing for them? Heck, Pig Ganon IS a recurring character that has so much unique abilities to take from the whole Zelda franchise.
You tell me that the Champions are bound to become irrelevant because they're one-shot characters, but then you tell me that I should be supporting Skull Kid and Midna because they're more unique.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You tell me that the Champions are bound to become irrelevant because they're one-shot characters, but then you tell me that I should be supporting Skull Kid and Midna because they're more unique.

Am I missing something here?
You're Missing Hyrule Warriors.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think that Hyrule Warriors should really effect the Zelda characters movesets in any meaningful way.

That said, I personally wouldn't mind if they got costumes from that game. I mean, Twilight Princess' version of Ganondorf is my favorite still. But A LOT of people like the long-haired version(it's not my favorite, but I kind of like it). And I personally like the Zelda design.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m not good at proposing topics of discussion here. Perhaps they aren’t interesting enough. But here’s something for everyone.

Let’s say every Smash 4 character gets an alt costume while characters, like Wii Fit Trainer or Olimar, gets a second one on top of the previous alt costume they had (including Bowser Jr). What alt costumes would characters get?

Here’s mine:
  1. Mario: Referee Mario
  2. Luigi: Mr L
  3. Peach: Sporty Peach
  4. Bowser: Wedding Bowser
  5. Rosalina: Cosmic Spirit
  6. Dr. Mario: Delfino Doctor Mario on Vacation
  7. Bowser Jr: Sunshine Bowser Jr
  8. Yoshi: Yarn Yoshi
  9. Wario: Showman Wario
  10. Link: Barbaric Armor Link
  11. Zelda: Hooded Zelda
  12. Shiek: Yuga Clan Shiek
  13. Toon Link: Outset Link
  14. Ganondorf: Phantom Ganondorf
  15. Samus: Federation Marine
  16. Zero Suit Samus: Military Outfit
  17. Kirby: Clay Kirby
  18. King Dedede: Masked Dedede
  19. Meta-Knight: Galacta Knight
  20. Fox: James McCloud
  21. Falco: Star fox Assault Faldo
  22. Pikachu: Masked Wrestler Pikachu
  23. Lucario: Korrina Outfit
  24. Charizard: Poke Ride Charizard
  25. Jigglypuff: Wigglytuff
  26. Greninja: Ash-Greninja
  27. Mewtwo: Shadow Mewtwo
  28. Ness: Pajamas
  29. Lucas: Masked Swordsman Lucas
  30. Donkey Kong: Boxer Kong
  31. Diddy Kong: Shades and Guitar Diddy Kong
  32. Pit: Classic Pit
  33. Palutena: Psuedo-palutena
  34. Dark Pit: Classic Dark Pit
  35. Marth: Sigurd Outfit
  36. Ike: Legendary Ike
  37. Robin: Hooded Robin
  38. Lucina: Masked Lucina
  39. Roy: Eliwood Outfit
  40. Corrin: Summer and New Year Corrin (FEH)
  41. Captain Falcon: Helmetless Falcon
  42. Olimar: Louie
  43. Villager: New Leaf Villager
  44. WFT: Wii Fit U Trainer
  45. Duck Hunt: 8-Bit Outfit
  46. MGW: Ms. Game and Watch
  47. Shulk: M100 Shulk
  48. ROB: Ancient Minister
  49. Little Mac: Doc’s Uniform
  50. Sonic: Classic Sonic
  51. Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
  52. Mega Man: Rush Adapater Mega Man
  53. Ryu: Evil Ryu
  54. Cloud: Kingdom Hearts Cloud
  55. Bayonetta: Nude Bayonetta
Man, some of those were a stretch.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm very concerned about moveset changes because we had a example of how they can ruin a character with Pit.
Pit was my main in Brawl and I loved his playstyle back then, mainly because of Wings of Icarus and Palutena's Arrow.

They decided to trash all his specials to fresh the character.

His neutral B was nerfed because "projectiles are boring" in general consensus (I hate the hate for defensive/campy gameplay).

His SideB is almost as bad as it was before. Unique improvement

His DownB is now much worse. Brawl's DownB mirrored a lot of revories (like Mario's cape) and had a faster startup and better armor.

His UpB change was the worst one. Not only because there was a lot of techs with the old upB (what could be lost in translation) but also because nerfed his edgeguard potential.

(Also no gliding, but thats a mechanic change).
-------
I don't want to see this happening again with any character that I like to play as they are now.
Personally enjoy to play as Falcondorf because his slow playstyle.
Zelda could be tweeked. Jigly too.
But I hope no mid-tier character receive a moveset change.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I’m not good at proposing topics of discussion here. Perhaps they aren’t interesting enough. But here’s something for everyone.

Let’s say every Smash 4 character gets an alt costume while characters, like Wii Fit Trainer or Olimar, gets a second one on top of the previous alt costume they had (including Bowser Jr). What alt costumes would characters get?

Here’s mine:
Wasn’t Legendary Ike a representation of RD Ike, the Ike that’s in Smash 4 already?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Here’s mine:
I think that's a good topic, but it's hard to come up with a few of them.

Mario: Maker Mario
Luigi: Mr.L, if they let Paper Designs be re-made in 3-D.
Peach: Sport Spin-off version
Bowser: Dry Bowser
Bowser Jr: Boom-Boom, still in the clown car
Rosalina: Biker
Wario: Vampire Wario, kind of a funny powerup
Yoshi: Yarn Yoshi
DK: Classic DK
Diddy: Backwards Cap with Shades
Link: Hyrule Warriors
Zelda: Same as Link
Shiek: Same as Link
Ganondorf: Same as Link
Toon Link: Train Conductor I guess
Samus: A More accurate Fusion Suit, with its own set of colors.
Zero Suit Samus: Metroid 1 Leotard, Long Green hair for the default.
Kirby: Clay I guess
Meta Knight: Morpho Knight or Galatica Kinght
DDD: Masked
Captain Falcon: "Famicom" Disguise or Phoenix.
Marth: OG design
Ike: Vanguard Ike(assuming RD Ike is used again)
Roy: OG design
Robin: Grima
Lucina: Mask or that Kimono, since she doesn't kick.
Corrin: No idea...sorry
Palutena: OG design
Pit: OG design
D. Pit: Multiplayer character from KI:U
Little Mac: Shirtless(Super Punch-Out!!)
Villager: Horn Hat
Olimar: Louie, if he doesn't change the hitbox too much
Ness: Ninten
Lucas: Claus' Masked Man outfit
Inkling: Splatoon 2 defaults
Shulk: Heavy Armor
Wii Fit: Wii Fit U
DHD: No idea
Fox: SFZero, if that's the Default, then SF Assault.
Falco: Same as Fox
Mr. Game and Watch: No idea
R.O.B: Stack Up R.O.B?
Mega Man: Normal Clothes OR Quint
Ryu: Evil Ryu OR Bearded Ryu
Sonic: Classic Sonic, if possible
Pac-Man: Ms.Pac-Man, Pac-Man Jr.
Bayonetta: White Dress with the big hat
Cloud: KH Cloud, dumb bandaged sword optional.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Legacy character idea: Lip with the ability to summon blocks from Puzzle League, Tetris, and Puyo Puyo. Possibly cameos from other puzzle games/characters.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I saw talk of transformation, and it gives me an idea.

What if transformations return, but it's for an exclusive mode. And you choose who you're characters are. 4 characters to be assigned to each dpad direction......

Although you wouldn't be able to play it with a single joy con. So maybe not the best idea

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
  1. Mario: Shadow Mario
  3. Peach: Daisy (*cries)
  4. Bowser: Dry Bowser or Strikers alt
  6. Dr. Mario: Delfino Doctor Mario
  9. Wario: Warioman
  10. Link: Linkle
  12. Shiek: Impa
  14. Ganondorf: Long-haired Ganondorf (dunno which game it is. Hyrule Warriors?)
  17. Kirby:
  21. Falco: Star fox Assault Falco
  22. Pikachu: Pikachu Libre
  23. Lucario: Pokken alt Lucario
  24. Charizard: Flygon
  25. Jigglypuff: Masked Jigglypuff
  30. Donkey Kong: Either Funky Kong or DK's Strikers Outfit
  31. Diddy Kong: Dixie Kong
  32. Pit: Dark Pit
  34. Dark Pit: See Pit
  35. Marth: Chrome :^)
  40. Corrin: Summer Corrin
  41. Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon
  43. Villager: Isabelle (?)
  44. WFT: Those digital enemies from Melee
  45. Duck Hunt: 8-bit outfit
  47. Shulk: Shulk with Jeans and a T-shirt
  50. Sonic: Shadow
  52. Mega Man: Proto Man
  53. Ryu: Ken/Evil Ryu/Akuma
  55. Bayonetta: Jeanne (?)

My list is kinda meh, and a bit trolly, but I feel alot of these really SHOULD be alts. Dry Bowser would be a dream. Also copied some of the mods picks cause I have no idea what to put there...

EDIT: formatting is hard

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Legacy character idea: Lip with the ability to summon blocks from Puzzle League, Tetris, and Puyo Puyo. Possibly cameos from other puzzle games/characters.
Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack should be enough though right? Cause Puyo Puyo is owned by Sega, so it'd be weird to get third party elements to implement them to a first party character.

Regular Tetris, I have no idea. Because so many companies have used the IP. So I'm guessing it's public domain?

D

Deleted member

Why do people dislike angry Mario from Brawl / Smash 4?
I do not love angry Mario, but I am kind of used to angry Mario.

They are definitely returning angry Mario in Smash Bros. Switch.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I saw talk of transformation, and it gives me an idea.

What if transformations return, but it's for an exclusive mode. And you choose who you're characters are. 4 characters to be assigned to each dpad direction......

Although you wouldn't be able to play it with a single joy con. So maybe not the best idea
That basically sounds like a tag team fighting game like Marvel vs Capcom and Dragon Ball FighterZ, in concept.

Smash Tour had a thing where each stock was a different character, essentially working like the Team Battle from the Tekken series.

I'd rather they let that kind of battle be its own separate mode, to be even more like the Tekken one.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack should be enough though right? Cause Puyo Puyo is owned by Sega, so it'd be weird to get third party elements to implement them to a first party character.
Arle Nadja was apparently requested in Japan for Super Smash Bros and Kirby had his own Puyo Puyo game. That's why I brought up Puyo Puyo in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom